Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Knew I was forgetting someone. I'll put him at 15B. I'd love to see just how good he can be with a starting QB throwing to him. He surely proved last year he doesn't need the best QB play to be beastly.
That is approx where I would put him.

I can only imagine him with a capable QB.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Thigamahjigee hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Andre Johnson to me is clearly the best wideout in the game today, it's truly a shame has has such inconsistent QB play, and is stuck on a poo team. These are my WR rankings:
(Rough, I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, I had to go back and fiddle because I left some guys out)

1) Andre Johnson

I disagree. He's the top WR. 4.7 YAC, and an average of 900 yards/5TDs/13 YPC don't scream number one to me, and he doesn't pose the matchup disadvantage as Randy Moss does. He's elite, but he's not the top in my book.
Thigamahjigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thigamahjigee View Post
I disagree. He's the top WR. 4.7 YAC, and an average of 900 yards/5TDs/13 YPC don't scream number one to me, and he doesn't pose the matchup disadvantage as Randy Moss does. He's elite, but he's not the top in my book.
Stats only tell half the story. Do you watch him play at all or do you just look at stats?

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Johnson to me is a mix of Anquan and Larry Fitzgerald. Not quite as good as Anquan after the catch, and doesn't quite of Fitz's hands and body control but he combines them with freakish speed and size and IMO he is the most dangerous wideout in the league.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
Stats only tell half the story. Do you watch him play at all or do you just look at stats?

Yes, but ugh. Get trashed for not using stats in one thing, and not in another. Did you not see the rest of the post? His rather subpar (for the supposed #1) stats combined with the fact that he isn't a Randy Moss esque matchup problem, would make me not declare him the best. Maybe if he puts up a few big yards seasons with TDs, and gets the best of his YAC ability, sure. At this point, he doesn't do that. I'd call him a great wideout. He's around top 5. I wouldn't put him one though. Even if we are just talking about young guys, I'd take Fitz over him in a second.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

plus he missed half a season last year? or 6 games?
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thigamahjigee View Post
Yes, but ugh. Get trashed for not using stats in one thing, and not in another. Did you not see the rest of the post? His rather subpar (for the supposed #1) stats combined with the fact that he isn't a Randy Moss esque matchup problem, would make me not declare him the best. Maybe if he puts up a few big yards seasons with TDs, and gets the best of his YAC ability, sure. At this point, he doesn't do that. I'd call him a great wideout. He's around top 5. I wouldn't put him one though. Even if we are just talking about young guys, I'd take Fitz over him in a second.
well if u watched any of his game, you would know he has never had a dante culpepper or a tom brady thowing at him. Not trying to take away from randy.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No order but top 5:

Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitgerald and Randy Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Thigamahjigee
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
well if u watched any of his game, you would know he has never had a dante culpepper or a tom brady thowing at him. Not trying to take away from randy.
Check out Roddy White's stats for example with a cluster of Redman/Leftwich/Harrington. Makes me cringe.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Megatron>all
Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These lists turn into a homer thread so fast. In that case,
Jordyzzz > Jennings > Everyone else

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
CroomDawgs
Veteran

CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.

I want to say Braylon but until he finds his hands again i can't :(

Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
LOL props to Paul
CroomDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:37 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the best two receivers in the game right now are Steve Smith and Randy Moss, I have in my next tier Wayne, Fitzgerald and TO and then emerging WRs as Jennings, White and Marshall.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

I agree with you about Randy, BlindSite.

I surprised to see him so far down on so many lists.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone raised an interesting point to me the other day.

As of right now, through his Career Smith has amassed

464 receptions
6,540 yards
41 TDs

in 76 games of 104 (excluding his rookie season) which means he would've had 104 games. In that 28 games that he's missed based on his prior totals he should've been able to rack up

8833 yards
55 tds

Which is above what randy moss produced in his first 6 years as a starting wide-out (77 TDs, 525 rec 8375 yards.) Its a shame he can't keep his temper in check when he needs to and has missed 18 games in 6 years through injury (lost an entire season in 04).

Not saying he's as good as Randy, just interesting to see what could've been had things fallen into place a little better. That being said checking back over Randy's stats makes me realise just how truly special as a WR he has been.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I agree with you about Randy, BlindSite.

I surprised to see him so far down on so many lists.
Randy is overwhelmingly good at his 'niche' of being a receiver. Maybe i'm looking at who's the best all around receiver in the league right now... but as far as production goes... Moss is second to none. Does that make him the best in my opinion? no.

Why? Because, he plays great when he wants to. Randy being Randy.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Randy is overwhelmingly good at his 'niche' of being a receiver. Maybe i'm looking at who's the best all around receiver in the league right now... but as far as production goes... Moss is second to none. Does that make him the best in my opinion? no.

Why? Because, he plays great when he wants to. Randy being Randy.
No argument here. He is nowhere close to being the best "all around" receiver. I just figured some of the great "all around" guys would produce better.

His reluctance to venture across the middle, block, and try in general take him out of the top 3 or 4.....but like top 7 or 8? Nah.

FWIW, I hate these kinds of lists. Especially those that don't specify what we should base our rankings off of. Talent? production? etc.

Just fairly baseless discussion. (but a good time filler)

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 11-05-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
True, but your addition statement would just be wrong. But I understand what you mean. Andre Johnson is just a flat out beast at everything. I love how he can take short passes the distance, make some good catches, and burn a defense for a long TD.

And not every Falcons fan is making White out to be the next Rice. Dont confuse iloxygenil for every Falcons fan.
**** you, honestly **** you. I never said he was the next Rice, but he's the top 5 in the NFL this year, he was top 8 last year. He belongs in the top 10, and the lists that are up there that exclude him completely in a 'top wideouts in the NFL' thread are a joke. I'm not saying he's 'elite' yet because by MY description of elite, Roddy is on his way but hasn't reached it because he's not produced consistently for long enough.

Andre Johnson when healthy is insane, Larry Fitzgerald gets much deserved love, but the other overlooked wideout most of the time is Anquan Boldin (the guy who plays most like Rice of any of these WRs) being that he's got incredible hands, and not great timed speed, but he has that speed where he'll never be caught once he breaks free.

Roddy has to get credit as one of the best blockers from the WR position, he's not delivering the blows like Hines Ward, but he's always getting his guy out of the play (sometimes too much and gets his hands too far outside for holding)

But you don't get to decide what I think, I'm very clear on what I think, and it's numbskulls like you who misconstrue my words into what they aren't. Top 5 WRs THIS Year, Roddy has to be mentioned, but top over the last 5 years...

In no particular order.

1.) Randy Moss
2.) Andre Johnson
3.) Larry Fitzgerald
4.) Steve Smith
5.) Anquan Boldin
6.) Chad Johnson
7.) Reggie Wayne
8.) Marvin Harrison
9.) TO
10.) Plaxico

But that's just offensively, overall, as a blocker and stuff, it would shake the list up pretty significantly.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

no Tyler Thigpen on any lists. :(
Quote:
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
**** you, honestly **** you.
Well that wasn't very nice.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
You're right, and I'll be adequately punished for it, but I'm sick of people telling me how much I'm wrong, and how much I say things I never do. It's beyond annoying.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post

Instead of nice you could have said kind.
Quote:
Old 11-05-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
You're right, and I'll be adequately punished for it, but I'm sick of people telling me how much I'm wrong, and how much I say things I never do. It's beyond annoying.
Fair enough...
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
No argument here. He is nowhere close to being the best "all around" receiver. I just figured some of the great "all around" guys would produce better.

His reluctance to venture across the middle, block, and try in general take him out of the top 3 or 4.....but like top 7 or 8? Nah.
Or try sometimes?

I think part randy's still success lies in the ability of wes welker make anyone look better even if he himself isn't absolutely great and last year especially, tom brady to deliver. randy i think is better than great when he has a great qb throwing him the ball. no man misses tom brady like randy moss.

edit: i knew i left someone off my list. plax!

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think some people here honestly think that if your bigger and faster then that makes you a better WR...Reggie Wayne hasn't shown up on enough list for me, Cris Carter wasn't 230 and didn't run a 4.2 but that didn't stop him from being one of the most gifted WR's ever, same with Lynn Swann.

Tier 1
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Chad Johnson
Greg Jennings
Roddy White

The last 2 guys you could say are pre-mature and that's fine, but I think next year they will be considered there so I don't have any problem putting them there...Both Roddy and Jennings can take over a game the same way an elite WR can, and are complete WR's.

Funny how Chad Johnson can average 90 receptions, 1300 yards, and 8 TD's over a 6 year span but one off-season of running his mouth too much and playing on a dysfunctional team people act like he forgot how to play WR...It's just funny to see guys jump around on people's list judging by who is hot right now, when some of these other guys can stay healthy enough(ie Andre Johnson) to produce like Chad over 6 years then you can sing his praises, just being big and fast isn't the end of the conversation for me.

A fluke doesn't happen over 6 years, especially when you take into account he was the #1 WR and faced double coverage week in and week out...Alot of these other guys are wildly inconsistent but just have the measurables that everyone loves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote