Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fisher just re-upped at FSU per multiple Twitter reports.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't he already do that?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Didn't he already do that?
Maybe it's the official announcement of that deal reported earlier this month?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Maybe it's the official announcement of that deal reported earlier this month?
They agreed on it in principle and then his agent let Texas rumors swirl to get a bit more money and control before it was officially signed. If Texas wanted to out spend FSU for him they easily could, but with a sick child and a support system in place, there is more to it than money.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While he's a bit annoying, James Franklin would be a great grab for Penn State.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
DcmRulz
Pro Bowler

DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

O'Brien to Houston means that Schiano has to be the heavy favorite to go to PSU, right?
DcmRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcmRulz View Post
O'Brien to Houston means that Schiano has to be the heavy favorite to go to PSU, right?
At this point, probably. James Franklin is supposedly in the mix for Cleveland, and probably Texas' top target as well. Not sure who else Penn State would go after at this point. Schiano seems a logical target but I feel like he should be the backup plan at best. Need to shoot higher.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why Bill O'Brien took the job if he was only gonna use it as a stepping stone or didn't love it enough to stay there. He could've gotten an NFL job out of New England. What was the point of the past two years at PSU? I gotta imagine Hackenburg is a bit disappointed. But if you wanted to be in the NFL all along, why accept the job in college and get kids to commit/sign to your program when you wanted to be in the NFL anyways.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
I don't get why Bill O'Brien took the job if he was only gonna use it as a stepping stone or didn't love it enough to stay there. He could've gotten an NFL job out of New England. What was the point of the past two years at PSU? I gotta imagine Hackenburg is a bit disappointed. But if you wanted to be in the NFL all along, why accept the job in college and get kids to commit/sign to your program when you wanted to be in the NFL anyways.
Well he interviewed with Jacksonville out of New England but didn't get the job, so why wait another season as an offensive coordinator if you can be the head coach at Penn State in the meantime?

Plus I'd guess he's going to make much more bank than he otherwise would with his first contract.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 01-01-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because head coach at Penn State is an upgrade over NFL offensive coordinator. There was never any guarantee he would be offered a head coaching position in the NFL as offensive coordinator, at least not quickly.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the HC experience
Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great article on Bill O'Brien over at Penn Live (link)

Here's what he said when he was asked what he thought that some of the Paterno supporters or "faction" were disappointed and upset that Ron Vanderlinden resigned.

Quote:
“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.
It's pretty clear that he wasn't a big fan of the politics of college football, having to deal with athletic directors, presidents, having to fundraise, being the biggest thing in a small town. I can understand why he is leaving, but what was he expecting when he took over for Joe Paterno?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Also, Larry Johnson has been named the interim head coach at Penn State link

Last edited by Jcn92 : 01-01-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, Larry Johnson has been named the interim head coach at Penn State for their bowl game. link
Penn State can't play in a bowl game....

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Penn State can't play in a bowl game....
Oh damn, my bad. Duh. I just saw interim head coach.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh damn, my bad. Duh. I just saw interim head coach.
Ya, it's actually kinda weird for a team to name an interim HC if they have no games left isn't it?

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They did that to keep recruiting intact.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
They did that to keep recruiting intact.
I guess that makes sense kinda, but do kids really not know there's going to be a new HC? I mean, I guess LJ Sr. Could be the next HC but if I'm a recruit I'm planning on there be a new staff.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Quote:
Great article on Bill O'Brien over at Penn Live (link)

Here's what he said when he was asked what he thought that some of the Paterno supporters or "faction" were disappointed and upset that Ron Vanderlinden resigned.

It's pretty clear that he wasn't a big fan of the politics of college football, having to deal with athletic directors, presidents, having to fundraise, being the biggest thing in a small town. I can understand why he is leaving, but what was he expecting when he took over for Joe Paterno?
Very much this. I said this to some friends on facebook last night but, between the sanctions and all the Paterno loyalists, he had a VERY fractured relationship with boosters and the school's administration. It sucks that he's leaving but I agree with a lot of what others have said, he did A LOT for us, even with him leaving so soon, I wish him all the best in Houston and just hope that he wiped away the "next coach" stigma and we can return to business as usual.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Most of the Penn State loyalists are lunatics. And that's being kind.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd put my top two as Franklin and Golden. I really want Franklin but I feel as if golden might be more inclined to keep LJ and bring back Vandy.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Very much this. I said this to some friends on facebook last night but, between the sanctions and all the Paterno loyalists, he had a VERY fractured relationship with boosters and the school's administration. It sucks that he's leaving but I agree with a lot of what others have said, he did A LOT for us, even with him leaving so soon, I wish him all the best in Houston and just hope that he wiped away the "next coach" stigma and we can return to business as usual.
That job is going to be impossibly hard to sell.

Penn State has the absolute worst subgroups of fans of any college/sports team.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Joe Schad reporting that Dantonio's new deal places he and his staff in the top 3 in the B1G.

That would be at least 4 mil a year. Dude got paid.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

Sounds like a perfect job for Al Golden, only instead of Miami's E-fanbase that donates nothing, he has a crazy fanbase that will actually support the team. I don't think either him or Greg Schiano would be homerun hires at this point, but may be PSU's best options.
MassNole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

I don't think it'll be hard to sell at all really. If they get a college guy instead of an NFL one, he'll do things the "college" way. I also think the next coach is going to be someone from the "Penn State family". Someone from the pool of Greg Schiano, Al Golden, Darren Perry, and Jim Caldwell seems logical. Hell, maybe LJ Sr. will finally get a real promotion or Tom Bradley will come back and coach for us again.

sig by BoneKrusher