Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michigan can try for Muschamp, but he's getting the Texas job, so I don't see why he'd leave for Michigan. They are already paying him pretty damn well to be a DC there.

I think Michigan can pull in a good coach, but I think RichRod's failure hurts them pretty badly since they are the little brother school in that state right now.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Michigan can try for Muschamp, but he's getting the Texas job, so I don't see why he'd leave for Michigan. They are already paying him pretty damn well to be a DC there.

I think Michigan can pull in a good coach, but I think RichRod's failure hurts them pretty badly since they are the little brother school in that state right now.
Its still the University of Michigan even with Rich Rod's failure...people would kill for that job. Gary Patterson is a big name that will be circling all the big programs....

what about a guy like Nick Holt? Hes had one HC gig at the university of Idaho before he went back to USC, and now UW but i think hes going to leave for a bigger job here sooner or later. Anyone else think he may get an offer to coach somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Stamper
Rookie

Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stamper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it would be interesting to see everyones predictions on hirings and firings. Schools like:
Ole miss
Georgia
West Virginia
Penn state
Minnesota

Could be looking for coaches.

And guys like malzahn and smart will be hot commodities and whether they leave or not
Stamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Georgia dumps Richt, I would be surprised if he doesn't get snatched up by another BCS school. He's a good enough coach, just different expectations at Georgia (and all the SEC) than most everywhere else.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see Richt getting fired, and I certainly don't see Bill Stewart getting fired, although I have heard the rumors.

If we're talking about BCS level jobs I think they only sure ones are:

-Minnesota
-Colorado
-Washington State

then there's probably a 50/50 chance or less for the following:
-Michigan
-Arizona State
-Texas A&M
-Mississippi
-Georgia
-UCLA

I wouldn't expect too many openings this year, though.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only 50/50 on Michigan? Has there ever been a time where Michigan has been worse at football?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Only 50/50 on Michigan? Has there ever been a time where Michigan has been worse at football?
2008 and 2009? (you probably mean timeframe, in which case I agree but Michigan has improved..unless they end up like 6-6).

And BF, I agree with you on Richt and Stewart, that there's no way they should be fired. But for some reason, Georgia fans are awfully uppity about Richt not bringing them championshipzzz (idk about WV).

Also, I think there's better than 50/50 chance that JoePa retires. I'm guessing you just forgot/didn't include him because he won't be fired.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would JoePa retire? To go wish he was a football coach while sitting at home?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

I could see a forced retirement. He really isn't offering anything anymore, imo. I would think playing under him isn't really an extra edge over other schools for recruits now a days. And it's not like PSU needs him as a coach. If they struggle to finish the season, I could see PSU insisting on his retirement.

If they do, one thing is for sure is that it will be much, much more graceful and dignified than how FSU handled Bowden.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We have three winnable games coming up against Penn State, Illinois, and Purdue. Do I expect to win all three? No (I actually think losing all three is more likely), but it is a possibility. If we can finish the season 8-4 and look competitive in the bowl game, he's not going to get fired. 7-5 might be enough for him to save his job, especially if Harbaugh goes to the NFL.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I could see a forced retirement. He really isn't offering anything anymore, imo. I would think playing under him isn't really an extra edge over other schools for recruits now a days. And it's not like PSU needs him as a coach. If they struggle to finish the season, I could see PSU insisting on his retirement.

If they do, one thing is for sure is that it will be much, much more graceful and dignified than how FSU handled Bowden.
Here here.

When his refusal to consider retirement clearly affects the recruiting, W-L rcd, & the morale of the whole program it's the responsibility of the Board of Regents or Trustees to show him the door. Often the AD is the lapdog of the legendary HC & won't do it so they have to circumvent him like they did at Florida St.

Then again, FSU had a replacement waiting in the wings ... for yrs. & yrs. in fact, could've gone elsewhere but turned down offers to coach the team he had helped build, so their was a sense of urgency. Penn St. needs to groom that successor now as the sand has almost run out of the hourglass on Paterno.

Last edited by LizardState : 10-27-2010 at 09:27 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
We have three winnable games coming up against Penn State, Illinois, and Purdue. Do I expect to win all three? No (I actually think losing all three is more likely), but it is a possibility. If we can finish the season 8-4 and look competitive in the bowl game, he's not going to get fired. 7-5 might be enough for him to save his job, especially if Harbaugh goes to the NFL.
you would know better than me, but i think Michigan has higher standards, and higher expectations than 7-5 and even 8-4 for that matter. When you think of Michigan you think of National Title contenders and one of the most storied programs ever, and i dont know if Rich Rod and the system he brings is what that program needs.

Also someone mentioned in another post....but i do not see Richt being available long if he gets fired. The guy is a very good football coach...things havent been great at Georgia this year but he has been a very successful coach there for a long time.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
you would know better than me, but i think Michigan has higher standards, and higher expectations than 7-5 and even 8-4 for that matter. When you think of Michigan you think of National Title contenders and one of the most storied programs ever, and i dont know if Rich Rod and the system he brings is what that program needs.

Also someone mentioned in another post....but i do not see Richt being available long if he gets fired. The guy is a very good football coach...things havent been great at Georgia this year but he has been a very successful coach there for a long time.
MIchigan does have higher standards, but the new AD David Brandon, while not as patient as his predecessor, does not want to fire Rod just because of record. He wants to see how improved the team really is, and what changes need to be made. From what I've heard, Brandon will probably demand changes to the defensive staff at the end of the season at the very least.

Firing is still a possibility. Another horrible finish like last year, and Rod is gone. BEating ND 2 out of 3 is nice, but going 0fer against OSU (more than likely), MSU, and maybe PSU while only winning 4 Big 10 games isn't acceptable.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If it were up to me, he would've been fired the Monday after the Michigan State game (if not sooner). You're preaching to the choir. Thing is, if we do finish 7-5 or 8-4, then that shows major improvement over the first two years and we're going to return almost everybody next year and get Troy Woolfolk back from injury.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt and see how he does for a few years now that he's actually got the perfect QB to fit his system. Before he was trying to work with what was handed to him, if he can make some sort of run this year or next I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Btw P-L why would you have fired him after the MSU game? Just curious since I don't see them as much as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt and see how he does for a few years now that he's actually got the perfect QB to fit his system. Before he was trying to work with what was handed to him, if he can make some sort of run this year or next I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Btw P-L why would you have fired him after the MSU game? Just curious since I don't see them as much as you.
Three losses in a row to Michigan State is unacceptable. Assuming we lose to Ohio State this year, he's going to be 2-7 against our three biggest rivals. He's 4-15 against the Big Ten and 11-18 against FBS schools. His refusal to adapt his system to our personnel in year and his unwavering loyalty to completely awful assistant coaches in infuriating.

His laziness in recruiting is also ridiculously frustrating. He continues to recruit like he's at West Virginia. He offers like 150 kids and just accepts the first 20-25 kids who want to come to Michigan. Our previous recruiting classes used to be a couple 5* players, mostly 4* players, and a couple 3* players. Under Rod our classes look like this: a couple 4* players, mostly 3* players, and a couple 2* players. He's landed four 5* players, three of which were already U-M leans or commits before he took over.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

If Rich Rod were to be fired at the end of the year do they go after someone like Harbaugh? I realize he may be the biggest name in college football right now as far as possibilities to be available but how long would it take to rebuild towards running a pro offense after RR just spent 3 years finally being able to put together his spread.

Would Gary Patterson be on the Wolverines radar?

Quote:
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Rich Rod were to be fired at the end of the year do they go after someone like Harbaugh? I realize he may be the biggest name in college football right now as far as possibilities to be available but how long would it take to rebuild towards running a pro offense after RR just spent 3 years finally being able to put together his spread.

Jim Harbaugh is at the top of the list for the Wolverines. He's an alum (and one of the most beloved alums at that), he cares about the school, he's a great recruiter, and he's got attitude for Michigan.

If we don't go after him, I fully expect them to go for someone with a Midwest background.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there is no reason to fire Mike Sherman, his talented recruits are showing through

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
there is no reason to fire Mike Sherman, his talented recruits are showing through
Plus with the down year for Texas, A&M may be able to close some of the gap between them this year in recruiting... would be a bad time to switch coaching staffs
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think either side would be particularly interested in this arrangement.

They should take a long, hard look at Pat Fitzgerald though if they can't get in one of their big name choices.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought he was surely gone to Tennessee for a minute, I don't know about Michigan but it seems like the right school down south he may be willing to take over. Besides when you consider the type of season we are having now, and with a small chance Reicht can be fired at Georgia, there is a high probability he takes that job but I think it depends on when Mack is gonna be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think either side would be particularly interested in this arrangement.
Ok.....why?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Word is that Brady Hoke and Kevin Sumlin are the two biggest names for the Minnesota coaching job.

I'd be fine with either, but who knows with the way these things continue to develop.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Ok.....why?
Patterson is head coach of the one of the most consistent and dominant programs in the country right now and Michigan, while still Michigan, is pretty mediocre at the moment. That's a pretty big step down for Patterson.

and after the Rich Rodriguez debacle, I think Michigan will go after someone with more midwestern ties.