Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Diab, any more word on if any of the Mack Brown retiring/resigning is true?
As far as I've heard it's completely false but he's definitely on the hot seat

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BF51 hires for everyone else:

Texas A&M
Can I get Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson or Kyle Whittingham? No? Ok well assume I want to hire them for every available position, cause I do.

In that case, I back up the money truck for Kirby Smart and hope he's ready to be a head coach in the SEC.

Illinois
I'm not crazy about the Kevin Sumlin rumors. He has a little experience in the B1G (Minnesota), but I don't think his offensive system works in a defense-heavy league. Instead, I'll give a shot to Paul Chryst who has been nothing short of spectacular since he came to Wisconsin (Rose Bowl loss aside)

Kansas
O hai, I'm Kansas. I spent a lot of money firing my coaches, so I'm not sure how much I have left to spend. I'd like to get Mahlzan or Sumlin, but I'm not sure that's possible. Instead, I think they'll end up going the MAC route and taking Tim Beckman from Toledo. Beckman would be a solid hire (Nick Saban and Gary Pinkel were from Toledo too), but probably not the sexy one. I could be wrong, since Kansas seems to be focusing their attention on hiring profile guys for now.

Arizona State
ASU kinda screwed the pooch with the June Jones situation. In an attempt to save face, I think they'll throw enough money at a guy like Bronco Mendenhall and hope he jumps ship. I don't think ASU will hire an assistant coach without experience, so if that doesn't work, I'm guessing they go with another retread. Maybe Ralph Friedgen, Mark Mangino, of Jim Leavitt? I honestly have no idea with this one.

UCLA
Word on the street is they are after Jim Mora Jr. That would certainly bring the lulz. If I'm them I'd go after Kennedy Polamalu, but I'm Chianti Dan, so he'll probably hire Mora. Maybe his pops is available too.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't agree enough about who you have for Texas A&M. To me, he's the smartest hire they can make. The SEC is all about defense and Kirby Smart is one of the hottest defensive coordinators in the country. He's studied under Saban and is a great recruiter to boot. He's exactly the type of coach that A&M needs making the move to the SEC

Chryst just seems like the perfect fit for Illinois. Tons of Big Ten experience, gets the most of his offenses, one of the best coordinators in the Big Ten and could coach up all the players Zook brought to Illinois.

I like the Tim Beckman suggestion for Kansas as well. I think him, Gary Anderson from Utah State, and Dave Christensen from Wyoming seem like the best Kansas will be able to do.

For Arizona State they really fubared the June Jones situation. He was the perfect fit for Zona St. but their moronic AD screwed it up. Next I'd try to get Bellotti or Malzahn or Sonny Dykes from La Tech. You've got to be able to bring in a coach that can keep up with the established Pac-12 coaches as well as the new hires.

UCLA - why they haven't been trying to throw cash at Bellotti is just baffling to me. They've had a love affair with him for the past several years and now when they need a coach they've spurned him. That's moronic. If they hire Jim Mora Jr I'm going to soil myself laughing so hard.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have officially heard every name for the KU job.the new rumor is.....*drumroll*.....Charlie Weis
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really surprised Malzahn isn't getting more play. Auburn fell off a bit this year, no doubt about that. I'm not really sure how much of that is his fault though. He's still one of the better offensive coaches in the country, even if he did luck into having some players having pretty spectacular seasons. Those Paul Smith Tulsa teams he coached put up serious numbers too, albeit against inferior competition. Am I missing something here? Is he content to stay as a coordinator? A personality that turns people off? I understand lack of head coaching experience, but the potential reward for taking a chance on a guy like that is much greater than what some of these other candidates offer.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are probably a few concerns with Malzahn (all guesses)

-Turned down large offer from Vanderbilt (does he want to be a head coach? is he afraid of a challenge?)

-One year wonder/lack of experience?

-ADs are cowards. If Malzahn fails, he fails spectacularly, and the AD loses his jobs. If Larry Fedora fails, he fails by being mediocre, and the AD gets to hire another coach

Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
There are probably a few concerns with Malzahn (all guesses)

-Turned down large offer from Vanderbilt (does he want to be a head coach? is he afraid of a challenge?)

-One year wonder/lack of experience?

-ADs are cowards. If Malzahn fails, he fails spectacularly, and the AD loses his jobs. If Larry Fedora fails, he fails by being mediocre, and the AD gets to hire another coach
He is no one year wonder, he has had great offenses wherever hes been. I feel like he thinks hes better than what hes got, which i may very well agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-Jets DC Mike Pettine being rumored as a candidate for Penn State

-Tim Beckman now being rumored as a name to watch for the Illini job

-Jim Leavitt has reportedly been endorsed by other coaches in regards to the Kansas job (*coughHarbaughcough* ?!)
H.O.O.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hearing Jim Leavitt also getting endorsed as a name for the Arizona State job.

Tim Murphy supposedly out as a possibility for the Penn State job. Pat Fitzgerald supposedly willing to listen if the committee comes calling (he's been my number one choice for the job for the past couple of years and I'd be ECSTATIC if we got him). Program is trying to distance itself from anyone that has had direct connection to the program in the past so its doubtful any former assistants/players will get the job.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a lot of signs point to Weis becoming KU's next HC
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
a lot of signs point to Weis becoming KU's next HC
Terrible hire. The guy sucks at recruiting and at dumbing down his offense for college.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah that's....weird. Weis is younger than I thought (55) and he has a ton of great experience, but it's mostly in the NFL.

Who would look at his job at Notre Dame (worse than Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham), as well as last year at Florida, and think "boy that's a guy who needs another shot as a head coach in college"?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

It's starting to look like Gus Malzahn will be the new head coach at Kansas. If that happens then Alabama's OC and DC will not have received the jobs they interviewed for but Arkansas will have lost their OC & ST coach to new jobs while their DC resigned and Auburn will have lost their OC and DC to new jobs.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weis needs to stick to the NFL.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:11 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Looking like Tim Beckman is the leading candidate at Illinois
http://www.pjstar.com/free/x38193813...football-coach

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Auburn apparently thinks Mark Stoops wants to be their next DC.

With the Defense he'll have at FSU in 2012, this would be career suicide as he'll have a lot of HC offers for the 2013 season.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Well I was right about Beckman moving up, just the wrong university. I like the hire, although I suspect the fine folks in Illinois will be a bit underwhelmed.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KU has announced that Charlie Weis will be its next football coach.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tal...-137-am-what-/

Last edited by TheMatriculator : 12-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
KU has announced that Charlie Weis will be its next football coach.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tal...-137-am-what-/

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Who knew there was a weight requirement for the Kansas job?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Who knew there was a weight requirement for the Kansas job?
What can I say, we like fat guys. Turner Gill didn't work out so the AD went to CoachesRUS and said "supersize me."
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one who would like to see Charlie and Mark Mangino fight to the death now? Or race maybe?

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Am I the only one who would like to see Charlie and Mark Mangino fight to the death now? Or race maybe?
Add Ralph Friedgen to that race or fight and I'll definitely watch

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Reports are that Weis' contract is more than 3 million per year.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/33759250

Urban Meyer hires Iowa State's OC Tom Herman to be his new OC

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter