Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Official Fines Thread

Figured there was an official Thread for everything else:

Yup. Woodley Was fined by the Officials on his sack of Jason Campbell:

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is the latest player to get fined by the NFL. Woodley was reportedly docked $10,000 for his sack of Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, who was thrown to the ground and banged his head on the turf during the tackle.

"I can't believe it," said teammate James Farrior when discussing the latest player to be fined docked by the NFL. "It's getting worse and worse. We're not able to do the things required of playing the game. I guess throwing a guy down is intimidating or something."

When the spate of fines against the Steelers began, defensive back Troy Polamalu said the NFL was becoming a "pansy" league because of fines leveled for plays on which no penalty was called. There was no foul called on Woodley during the nationally televised game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08312/926220-66.stm

Anyone else for Flags yet?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jesus man, from the looks of it, you must lose hours of sleep just worrying about your favorite players getting penalized/fined. Wow...

Last edited by Twiddler : 11-07-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
Jesus man, from the looks of it, you must lose hours of sleep just worrying about your favorite players getting penalized. Wow...
Don't lose sleep.

I just can't understand the leagues such strong stand against classic football.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Tuck deservingly got fined.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Don't lose sleep.

I just can't understand the leagues such strong stand against classic football.
If you don't agree with it, thats one thing. I can respect that. But for you to not understand why is pretty elementary.

You'll see stories done on retired football players and how badly their bodies are beat up, but thats only the beginning of what some of these guys are going through. NFL conducted a study on how badly these guys are left after their careers are over in the NFL, and not just physically. You need to know they are trying to protect the livelihood of these players. Like I said, you don't need to agree with it but you should understand why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I don't think so. I also don't think Jevon Kearse should've been fined for "horse collaring" Aaron Rodgers. **** is getting ridiculous.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
hahahahaha

I never even saw he got fined, figured he would though. I still don't understand what even happened there.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
I don't think so. I also don't think Jevon Kearse should've been fined for "horse collaring" Aaron Rodgers. **** is getting ridiculous.
I think it's in the rules that you can't tackle the quarterback and drive him into the ground with your shoulder, which was what Tuck did.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL must like taking players money, maybe there not making as much money as the say they are......
Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
If you don't agree with it, thats one thing. I can respect that. But for you to not understand why is pretty elementary.

You'll see stories done on retired football players and how badly their bodies are beat up, but thats only the beginning of what some of these guys are going through. NFL conducted a study on how badly these guys are left after their careers are over in the NFL, and not just physically. You need to know they are trying to protect the livelihood of these players. Like I said, you don't need to agree with it but you should understand why.
That and let's be honest, the NFL is a very offense based product so it is in their best interest to protect their star offensive starters. Again, that's only part of it, but whether or not its fair, its another factor (at least I think).
Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tuck hit him square in the chest as soon as he released the ball. He didn't lift and slam him. He didn't hit him in the head. He didn't lead with the helmet. It was a chicken **** call and it's even worse that he's getting fined for it.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Tuck hit him square in the chest as soon as he released the ball. He didn't lift and slam him. He didn't hit him in the head. He didn't lead with the helmet. It was a chicken **** call and it's even worse that he's getting fined for it.
Dude, when you tackle someone, if you're strong enough you can drive him back and into the ground with your shoulder, which is what Tuck did. What don't you understand.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Dude, when you tackle someone, if you're strong enough you can drive him back and into the ground with your shoulder, which is what Tuck did. What don't you understand.
Tuck was flagged because he "used his full body weight", exact quote.

He did not drive anyone into the ground, he simply lunged into the midsection and tackled him. Because he is so strong it looked like he drive him into the ground. Kiwanuka was flagged a couple years ago for driving David Carr into the ground and while it is a dumb call, it was the right one. Tuck did not put any extra effort into driving him into the ground.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 11-07-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

I understand that the league is becoming more sissy-fyed with every one of these lame calls. It's getting to the point where no one can tackle a QB anymore. If a guy can't use his natural born strength to run through a tackle and take someone to the ground, then the league is losing its credibility.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:

Ok..

Here's my question:

if it's SO dangerous to be tackled like that.. Why isn't there a fine everytime the RB/WR/TE is tackled like that?

Why is the QB the only person you really get fined for hitting non-excessively.

I'm aware with the Studies, and I even read the story done in 2 different magazines.

But at the same time, that is the risk these players take by playing a violent game.

Just like Coal Miners took risks of Black Lung and toxic gases. It's a job risk.

The fact of the matter is, You can't "Play football" anymore. Because while your acting and reacting instinctively.. You have to now put a 3rd process into: Acting, Reacting and is this going to cost me a fine?

So, players are going to hit, be hit and still have damage done to their mind and bodies, the only difference is, some will be left way less money in the pocket.

and the worst part about that, is the positions that pays the highest per year rate, is the only one getting fines for non-excessive hits.

I hope that makes sense. If not I can reword it.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That tackle was textbook. Didn't go too high, didn't go too low. How do you get fined for hitting someone in the numbers?
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Tuck was flagged because he "used his full body weight", exact quote.

He did not drive anyone into the ground, he simply lunged into the midsection and tackled him. Because he is so strong it looked like he drive him into the ground. Kiwanuka was flagged a couple years ago for driving David Carr into the ground and while it is a dumb call, it was the right one. Tuck did not put any extra effort into driving him into the ground.
But it's plays like this that lead to guys Like Kiwi NOT TACKLING THE QB, and losing a game for his team because he's afraid of being flagged and/or fined.

How can you play the game if everytime you do your job your afraid of a fine or other penalty.

Yes there is tons of players that are 70-80 and in terrible shape due to their playing days, but then you have the Lamberts, Ditkas, Singletarys, etc that think the game is such a pansy league anymore.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ok..

Here's my question:

if it's SO dangerous to be tackled like that.. Why isn't there a fine everytime the RB/WR/TE is tackled like that?

I'm aware with the Studies, and I even read the story done in 2 different magazines.

But at the same time, that is the risk these players take by playing a violent game.

Just like Coal Miners took risks of Black Lung and toxic gases. It's a job risk.

The fact of the matter is, You can't "Play football" anymore. Because while your acting and reacting instinctively.. You have to now put a 3rd process into: Acting, Reacting and is this going to cost me a fine?

So, players are going to hit, be hit and still have damage done to their mind and bodies, the only difference is, some will be left way less money in the pocket.

and the worst part about that, is the positions that pays the highest per year rate, is the only one getting fines for non-excessive hits.

QBs are unprotected against hits more often than not. I would think that is why they protect them more but you are seeing more flags when RBs/TEs/WRs get hit by a defender leading with thier helmet as well, so its not just the QB.

I see where you are coming from, and I don't refute it in the least. You disagree with where the game is headed, I understand. I'm just saying that you need to know why this is happening.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
That tackle was textbook. Didn't go too high, didn't go too low. How do you get fined for hitting someone in the numbers?
Watch the video. When Bollinger releases the ball is a split second before Tuck makes contact. After the contact, Tuck takes two steps with his shoulder/facemask in his chest, and lands with all his weight on him. It's a textbook tackle if it's in the open field. But it's a quarterback getting rid of the ball in the pocket, not Brian Westbrook running a toss.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
But it's plays like this that lead to guys Like Kiwi NOT TACKLING THE QB, and losing a game for his team because he's afraid of being flagged and/or fined.

How can you play the game if everytime you do your job your afraid of a fine or other penalty.

Yes there is tons of players that are 70-80 and in terrible shape due to their playing days, but then you have the Lamberts, Ditkas, Singletarys, etc that think the game is such a pansy league anymore.
Again, I'm in agreement that it plays mind games with the players. I went nuts on the league when Kiwanuka let go of Vince Young because he didn't want to get flagged....and well...lets not go there.

But picking up a QB and then basically throwing him down onto the ground with your full body weight is and should be a penalty. Players should know that.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
QBs are unprotected against hits more often than not. I would think that is why they protect them more but you are seeing more flags when RBs/TEs/WRs get hit by a defender leading with thier helmet as well, so its not just the QB.

I see where you are coming from, and I don't refute it in the least. You disagree with where the game is headed, I understand. I'm just saying that you need to know why this is happening.
I do understand that first and foremost this is a business.

And I understand the over-protection of the faces of the Franchises. In financial terms.

Just like I thought just in the years prior to Goodell that Manning/Brady would get flags more often than not.

As far as it goes though. I would rather see them adjust the rules and make it more understood.

It's almost ******** when someone plays a great game then gets fined 10-20k after the game for their play, it's almost counterproductive.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Quote:
Ok..

Here's my question:

QB's get prefferential treatment in the NFL, like I said before. If you haven't figured that our by now then I don't know how anyone on here can help you.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Watch the video. When Bollinger releases the ball is a split second before Tuck makes contact. After the contact, Tuck takes two steps with his shoulder/facemask in his chest, and lands with all his weight on him. It's a textbook tackle if it's in the open field. But it's a quarterback getting rid of the ball in the pocket, not Brian Westbrook running a toss.
I just watched it in slo-mo on Sportscenter and you can see Tuck pulls his hand out to brace himself before they hit the turf. Doesn't sound like he just let his weight flop on Bollinger.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:

So why do QB's have way more official protection than the rest of the players in the league?

I just don't get the difference between hitting a QB Squarely and knocking him down as he throws or right 1 step after he throws. Or a RB Running a sweep.

And I'd like to Mention Roethlisberger has only gotten 1 roughing the passer call when I see the rest of these hits he should have had atleast 10.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
QB's get prefferential treatment in the NFL, like I said before. If you haven't figured that our by now then I don't know how anyone on here can help you.
Ok.

If you haven't figured out by now that I'm not debating that, but asking WHY that is the case.... Then I don't know if anyone can help you.