Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will be better?
Matt Ryan 96 75.00%
Joe Flacco 32 25.00%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Matt Ryan vs. Joe Flacco

Who will be better?

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan all the way. I like what Flacco has done so far, but I think Ryan is developing quicker and has the ability to cleanse himself of that "young" perception much quicker than Flacco.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a big Matt Ryan fan. I think he has everything you need to be a great NFL QB as far as the tools and intangibles are concerned. Flacco is very talented as well but I'll take Ryan.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to say Ryan, but I'm not really in position to make the call considering all I've seen of Flacco is ESPN highlights.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:47 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha ryan is winning13-0. Looks like joe should go become a plummer
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's still hard to tell right now. Flacco is the superior athlete, though. He has prototypical size, a great arm, and better mobility. I think he has had the most to get acclimated to, coming from Delaware, in an offense where he was used mostly out of the shotgun. The odds were stacked against him being successful, and he has done a very admirable job. Ryan also has a better WR corps compared to Flacco's.

You can't really make a sound judgment right now, but if Flacco develops like he's showing he has the potential to, he'll be the better quarterback.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Flacco more than I like Ryan, but Ryan will be more successful because of a better supporting cast on offense. However, I think if McGahee gets going like I think he will, we are gonna see Flacco start to emerge even more.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Flacco is the man!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flacco has the tools to become a better QB, but Matt Ryan is more of the sure thing to be a very good QB. I always like to see FCS guys succeed and that's why I will vote Flacco.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are lucky I have midterms this week otherwise I would have a 5 page report on why Ryan is the ish.

But Flacco is not slacking either. He has surprised me a lot. Both have potential to be franchise QBs.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
You guys are lucky I have midterms this week otherwise I would have a 5 page report on why Ryan is the ish.

But Flacco is not slacking either. He has surprised me a lot. Both have potential to be franchise QBs.
Like i posted earlier, not taking anything away from Matty Ice. He is in fact, the ish. But i think Flacco is in a crappier situation, and is the better prospect as far as talent goes.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Like i posted earlier, not taking anything away from Matty Ice. He is in fact, the ish. But i think Flacco is in a crappier situation, and is the better prospect as far as talent goes.
Yeah. Speaking in terms of being physically talented, Flacco has the upper arm (no pun intended). His arm strength and speed are terrific and in the upper echelon for QBs. Its how they are used is what makes a QB though. Ryan is not as fast as Flacco, but the way he eludes pressure is much more impressive than Flacco's way, simply because of his superior pocket presence.

However, I do think that Ryan's physical ability was severely underrated during the draft process. He can make every throw out there with just the amount of zip and touch needed. I have not seen a pass come up short because of his inablity to throw that far downfield, nor have I seen too many passes suffer from lack of zip. I am not trying to take away from Flacco here, but I am just saying that all of Ryan's physical tools are above average and will only get better.

Both have very bright careers ahead of them though. Ryan is very cerebral and will continue to work to get better with his better supporting cast, while Flacco will continue to improve as the NFL game slows down for him. If the Ravens can get Flacco a legit number 1 guy, they could have a real connection going.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Ryan under-threw Jenkins in that deep pass that put them at the three
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Ryan under-threw Jenkins in that deep pass that put them at the three
With the way the CB was playing coverage, it didn't seem like a terrible idea. Not sure if the pass would have been completed otherwise. I might just be making excuses, but you have a point.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted Ryan because I think he's doing a little better. You have to give Flacco all the credit that's due but Cam Cameron is doing a wonderful job of play calling and playing to Joe's strengths.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's time to admit I was wrong 100% wrong on Ryan now (actually it's WAY late and I'm the last person to do it). But yea, he's really good. I thought he'd be an ok QB, just didnt have the upside of others so it's possible Flacco could be better...but I really doubt it. Ryan is for real
Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan. It's easy.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Matt Ryan. It's easy.
Not really. How Flacco is progressing is very very surprising. Imagine him in 2-3 years, when QBs usually break out (actually, imagine both these QBs in 2-3 years). I would like to see how he does against top/mediocre defenses (his good performances have come against, OAK, CLE, and HOU), but doing this well against poor teams is always a good sign.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is absolutely nothing I have seen either Joe Flacco's college career or first NFL season that I would grade him as being functionaly better at than Matt Ryan. Ryan has adjusted even faster to the NFL than I thought he would.

The Falcons look like the better team and Ryan looks like the better quarterback. Things can change quickly, but from this vantage point Ryan looks like the obvious choice.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First off I'd take Flacco, but really both teams have a franchise QB, so who's to complain. Fact that Ravens got theirs for the 18th pick out of 1AA is a nice story though. Their are two things that separate them. Flacco separates himself because of his arm. He can make so many throws Ryan can't. In fact Flacco has an arm that could make him an elite QB. He can make that 18 yard out route easy. 75% of NFL QB's can't on a consistent basis. Physically he has better tools than Ryan. 6-5" and equally mobile. Ryan separates himself because he has the intangibles only 4 or 5 QB's max in the league right now have. That is something you either have or you don't. IMO Ryan will be a more efficient QB and win more major games, while Flacco will be the one down the line putting up ridiculously pro bowl numbers in yards and TD's, granted they bring in some wideouts. Both are in great situations. Ryans has a good line, two young stud RB's in Turner and Norwood and Roddy White. Flacco has a hell of a young O-line which is probably the most athletic in the league. Mcgahee is talented but unmotivated. Rice looks like a great scat back but not sure a full time starter. People really need to see how Flacco has played the last 4 games. If you only saw him at the start of the year he had a rough rookie start, now he is blazing. All of this and no real vertical threat wideout.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's unfair to even ask this question now, Flacco had a bigger learning curve and still does, how about giving him two years to see how he fully develops, because physically he has alot of tools you look for and could be someone who becomes better then Ryan with time.

He's playing well but they haven't even opened up the offense for him the way they have with Ryan, that's why it's unfair to pose the question now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was a huge Ryan fan pre-draft. Now, they are pretty close. Sure, Ryan has done more, but he has had more offense to work with. Flacco has had more defense.

Can we at least agree that Brian Brohm=Epic Fail?

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Better question. Will either make the hall of fame?

9 games, folks. Theres hardly even enough film on them for their opponents to take advantage of their shortcomings yet. Give it 3 years. At least this won't be as painful as Eli vs. Rivers vs. Roethlisberger and for ignorant Bills homers, Losman... Both of 'em got thrown to the wolves and have responded very well and both are leading 6-3 teams. For now, I'm going with Ryan, but I only saw the Ravens game against the Steelers on Monday/Sunday Night a few weeks ago. I've seen Ryan a few times already so I've got more to go on with him. I don't have a real opinion on either yet.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
There is absolutely nothing I have seen either Joe Flacco's college career or first NFL season that I would grade him as being functionaly better at than Matt Ryan. Ryan has adjusted even faster to the NFL than I thought he would.
I believe the question is "Who will be better". Not who is better right now.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe the question is "Who will be better". Not who is better right now.
Indeed. And I see nothing to suggest that Joe Flacco will be better than Matt Ryan. He's not in a better situation, he's not really all that more gifted, and Matt Ryan has adjusted faster to the NFL.