Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will be better?
Matt Ryan 96 75.00%
Joe Flacco 32 25.00%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Well being #56 is a lot different from being #90.

And the Falcons turned that into two second round picks, so they're good.
Whose to say the Packers won't do that with Brohm? The point is that something similar has been done.

I don't really agree with it, but it's nice to have a solid backup. Especially if the starting QB has a season ending injury.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Whose to say the Packers won't do that with Brohm? The point is that something similar has been done.

I don't really agree with it, but it's nice to have a solid backup. Especially if the starting QB has a season ending injury.
Okay, it was done once before. Woop-dee-doo. I have a hard time believing the Packers will get anything for Brohm, if he can't even beat out a seventh round pick for the back-up job.

And for the record, i said second round pick. Not third.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Okay, it was done once before. Woop-dee-doo. I have a hard time believing the Packers will get anything for Brohm, if he can't even beat out a seventh round pick for the back-up job.

And for the record, i said second round pick. Not third.
I think you're looking a little too much into it. Yes, he was beat out for the second string job, but that's not saying that he'll never be a successful QB. He wouldn't be the first QB ever to take a decent amount of time to learn the offense and then look good in later preseasons, much like Aaron Rodgers has done as a Packer. Seriously, him struggling so far is not that big of a deal, so quit being so quick to assume that we'll never get anything for him. It's his first year.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
I think you're looking a little too much into it. Yes, he was beat out for the second string job, but that's not saying that he'll never be a successful QB. He wouldn't be the first QB ever to take a decent amount of time to learn the offense and then look good in later preseasons, much like Aaron Rodgers has done as a Packer. Seriously, him struggling so far is not that big of a deal, so quit being so quick to assume that we'll never get anything for him. It's his first year.
I'll gladly eat my words if it happens, but they'll never have leverage for Brohm on other teams, should Rodgers keep playing the way he does.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Way Too Early
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's still hard to tell right now. Flacco is the superior athlete, though. He has prototypical size, a great arm, and better mobility. I think he has had the most to get acclimated to, coming from Delaware, in an offense where he was used mostly out of the shotgun. The odds were stacked against him being successful, and he has done a very admirable job. Ryan also has a better WR corps compared to Flacco's.

You can't really make a sound judgment right now, but if Flacco develops like he's showing he has the potential to, he'll be the better quarterback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I like Flacco more than I like Ryan, but Ryan will be more successful because of a better supporting cast on offense. However, I think if McGahee gets going like I think he will, we are gonna see Flacco start to emerge even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Joe Flacco is the man!
I totally agree

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think both teams got a franchise QB and a pro bowler in the future. Flacco has the better physical tools, while Ryan was NFL ready. Ryan also has a better WR corp so that is why I feel he is doing better. I voted for Flacco but I am a bit biased. I think you really can't tell right now.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Flacco has a deeper receiving core, a better offensive line, and a better tight end. The only thing Matt Ryan has above him is a better running game and a number one receiver.

Their surroundings are a wash and, unlike Flacco, Ryan has to pass and lead his team to victory often.
Yes Flacco has a better line, but your WR corp is far better. With Dwill hurt we have no depth as well. Mason is good and Clayton is inconsistent. We had to put Yamon Figures at WR for the 1st time in a long time. Yes Heap is a better TE but he hasnt done anything in the passing game until yesterday, he looked horrible in the passing game until yesterday as well.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you asked me this before the draft, Id say Flacco easily. I was not a big Ryan fan, and thought he'd be a bust. Contrarily, I was a huge Flacco fan and thought he was the best qb in this draft class.

Fast forward to now, and I say Ryan is and will be better. Matt Ryan will win a SB. I feel very confident in that. Matt Ryan is having the best rookie year by a qb I have ever seen with my own eyes. His measurables knocks were grossly overrated, and so were his accuracy issues.

He reminds me so much of Eli, its not even funny. The guy has all the intangibles, is amazing at reading defenses, has the "it", he's clutch, he's a leader, he's humble, he has everything you look for. I always knew he had the intangibles, but I grossly underestimated his on field ability. He's the real deal.

Flacco contrarily, I was worried about. I figured he'd need to sit and learn, and I thought Baltimore was making a huge mistake throwing him into the fire so early coming out of IIA. Shockingly, he's growing at a much faster pace than I had imagined. Flacco is the real deal too, and he'll develop into a great player. Physically, he's better than Ryan, but that doesn't mean a thing. Flacco is going to be good, but I just think Ryan will be better.

Both have promising careers. Im a huge Matt Ryan fan now though. Its amazing how my stance on him has completely changed. Forget the fact that he's a rookie for a second. If you didn't know he was a rookie, you'd think he's playing like one of the better qbs in the entire league this year. He's playing as a top 10 qb as a rookie. Think about that.

What he's doing is absolutely amazing. His ability to comprehend the NFL so well this quickly is amazing. He's the real deal.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Fail as in, you wasted a second round pick on a guy that will most likely never be your franchise quarterback.
Ted Thompson doesn't waste picks. Give it time, he was drafted seven months ago. Epic fail is picking Troy Williamson 7th.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Rodgers getting dinged every now and then, having a good backup qb is not a bad thing. Brohm isn't done for yet, give it time. It doesn't happen overnight for everyone.

Rodgers himself wouldn't be half the player he is today if he was thrown into the fire.

Having a good backup qb is so important. I didn't realize that until this year. I personally like having a good savy serviceable vet backup, but those are not easy to find.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
With Rodgers getting dinged every now and then, having a good backup qb is not a bad thing. Brohm isn't done for yet, give it time. It doesn't happen overnight for everyone.

Rodgers himself wouldn't be half the player he is today if he was thrown into the fire.

Having a good backup qb is so important. I didn't realize that until this year. I personally like having a good savy serviceable vet backup, but those are not easy to find.
There's very little teams out there that have decent backups. In my opinion, there's only four teams out there with serviceable backups. (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Washington). Add the Titans if you still count Kerry Collins a backup.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
There's very little teams out there that have decent backups. In my opinion, there's only four teams out there with serviceable backups. (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Washington). Add the Titans if you still count Kerry Collins a backup.
Id say Pittsburgh, Arizona, Cleveland, Jets, Texans, Titans, Philly. thats about it.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both these QB's have suprised me. I did'nt think either of them would be this good this early.Flacco has really suprised me though. I thought given the situation he was coming out of, he would be the biggest project QB in the draft.

Quote:
Id say Pittsburgh, Arizona, Cleveland, Jets, Texans, Titans, Philly. thats about it.
No David Carr love?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Double post.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Both these QB's have suprised me. I did'nt think either of them would be this good this early.Flacco has really suprised me though. I thought given the situation he was coming out of, he would be the biggest project QB in the draft.

No David Carr love?
I hate David Carr.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dont u hate on Sexy Rex

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uh. Chris Redman is the best back up in the league guys.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Matt Leinart really hasn't given me anything to say he's a good backup, nor has Kellen Clemens. Rosenfels looked horrible this past weekend, and who's Philly's backup? Kolb?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gus Frerrotte deserves some mention, after all he was a back-up QB and has been for some time but still steps in and plays like a starter...Give Minny credit, without him their season goes down the drain, he's been one of the better back-ups in the NFL for a long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:50 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol this topic went form flacco vs ryan to brohm to back up QBs. i love how its nicely transitioned too.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 AM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Gus Frerrotte deserves some mention, after all he was a back-up QB and has been for some time but still steps in and plays like a starter...Give Minny credit, without him their season goes down the drain, he's been one of the better back-ups in the NFL for a long time now.
You are way off on this one. I liked on Minny a couple years back and yes, there have been games where he has played just well enough to not lose the teams games (barely), but most of the time he is horrible. I guess that says something about Tarvaris Jackson because really you have to be horrendous or a rookie (my excuse for JDB) to not be starting over Frerotte.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
You are way off on this one. I liked on Minny a couple years back and yes, there have been games where he has played just well enough to not lose the teams games (barely), but most of the time he is horrible. I guess that says something about Tarvaris Jackson because really you have to be horrendous or a rookie (my excuse for JDB) to not be starting over Frerotte.
I guess I'm judging by having Brad Johnson at QB, but Gus has been able to hit Berrian on the deep route consistently and keep the chains moving, what more can you ask? I think our furthest pass was 14 yards, I believe it was the Saints game Gus had to stand in and take some shots downfield while getting hit to win that game so maybe it was just one game but the fact that back-up came in and won a game says alot.

Not only that, but his track record at Washington, Miami and the Rams and his other stints speak for themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ask the Colts if Volek is a decent option at backup QB. :)
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Ask the Colts if Volek is a decent option at backup QB. :)
No one cares about Volek or the Chargers, so don't bring him up.