Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will be better?
Matt Ryan 96 75.00%
Joe Flacco 32 25.00%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think some people are forgetting that Ryan was by far the more NFL ready QB in the draft so I am not surprised at all that he is doing better this year and Ryan hasn't tore up many top defenses as well. I think it is pretty close and it can go either way. It will be fun watching these guys play.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I think some people are forgetting that Ryan was by far the more NFL ready QB in the draft so I am not surprised at all that he is doing better this year and Ryan hasn't tore up many top defenses as well. I think it is pretty close and it can go either way. It will be fun watching these guys play.
Regardless of being NFL ready or not, a rookie QB should not be putting up the numbers Ryan has. His TD-INT ratio is 9th in the league. YPA is 8th. QB rating is 11th. He has only fumbled the ball twice, and lost it once. Yeah he has a great running game, but some of the throws and decisions he makes are phenomenal.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yes he is good, but still I am just saying I am not shocked at all that he is doing better then Flacco since he was the more NFL ready prospect.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True, Flacco is making great improvments week to week but I wouldnt take anything away from Ryan either, I really wanted him on the Ravens and I was shocked when we took Flacco in the first round and I really thought that Flacco was BollerV2. As of now, its way to early to compare the 2 but I think this thread should be made in 2 years, maybe 1 since both these guys are very smart and quick learners. but ya gatta give credit to both for doing what they are doing with alot of odds against them. BTW, I voted Flacco (cause the homer in me) and he had much more of a learning curve to get over compared to Ryan and he doesn't have a WR core like Ryan either...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's why the poll is going to be mis-leading right now, we have seen how many times people have changed their order of Ben/Rivers/Eli since they are drafted, it's really not fair to judge who will be the better player this early because what they are both doing is so impressive...Flacco's learning curve was steeper but everyone expected that and it's looking like it's not as bad as people thought.

What I really like is both QB's were put into good positions, Ryan has a running game, high picks invested in the line, and an elite playmaker, Flacco has one of the best defenses in the league and if he can continue to make plays in the air and not make mistakes the sky is the limit for that team...Teams rarely score more then 20 on the Ravens, if he can put 3 scores on the board I like their chance to win each game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
All-NFLDC

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I guess I'm judging by having Brad Johnson at QB, but Gus has been able to hit Berrian on the deep route consistently and keep the chains moving, what more can you ask? I think our furthest pass was 14 yards, I believe it was the Saints game Gus had to stand in and take some shots downfield while getting hit to win that game so maybe it was just one game but the fact that back-up came in and won a game says alot.

Not only that, but his track record at Washington, Miami and the Rams and his other stints speak for themselves
I probably guve Gus a lot less credit than he deserves. I still think he is a below average QB in the league and makes too many damn mistakes but he has been a fairly good backup for teams. As for Brad Johnson it baffles me as to why the Cowboys pick up a QB would could not even make the Vikings roster 3 years ago when our QB's were even worse than they are now. Johnson is a horrible, horrible QB at this point in his career. To top it of the Cowboys pick up another QB in Bollinger who also could not make our roster.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why waste money on backups when you have Tony Romo?
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd just like to take this post and say Matt Ryan is the next great NFL quarterback.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I'd just like to take this post and say Matt Ryan is the next great NFL quarterback.
How exactly does this differ from your other posts?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Sick burn.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
That was one of the quickest responses I have ever seen for one of my posts.

Just reitterating it.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flacco has the potential to be better, IMO, but Ryan is in just an overall better situation as of now. It will be a while before we see, but I think it will be Flacco, What he is doing in the NFL now after being in the FCS is much more impressive than what Ryan is doing.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Everyone talked about how bad Matt Ryan's situation was, but now it's so great. The thing is, he is making his supporting cast look good.

RB: Legitimate talents in Norwood and Michael Turner.
WR: Roddy White is the only true talent here. Jenkins is decent, but nothing special. Laurent Robinson hasn't been on the field much at all. Harry Douglas is young and talented, but hasn't done much. Brian Finneran gets playing time, off of two torn alterior cruial ligimates (spelling), so the group obviously isn't deep.
TE: Justin Peele and Ben Hartsock. Decent second string players, not starters.
OL: Sam Baker is good, but he's always hurt. Todd Weiner, Justin Blalock, Todd McClure, Harvey Dahl, Tyson Clabo. Enough said.
FB: Ovie Mughelli is good.

Basically, this offense has about three good weapons for Ryan (White, Turner, Norwood). The rest, prior to this season, were nobodies. Ryan hits them in the chest with passes and gets the ball off to make the offensive line look good. The whole 'has a good supporting cast' deal is false. We could conceivably draft WR, TE, OT, OG, or C in the first two rounds of the draft.

And Flacco hasn't been more impressive. He has been a good rookie. Ryan has been a top ten QB. Ryan has a 90 passer rating. He is a great QB.

I didn't mean for that to be a rant, it just ended up that way.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Yeah the supporting cast is helping Ryan, but the only guy who is truly better on the Falcons offense is Roddy White. Michael Jenkins never eclipsed 530 yards and averaged 10 and 11 yards in his past 2 seasons. Tyson Clabo and Harvey Dahl: UDFAs. The rushing attack is also a push.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I would take Turner and Norwood slightly over McClain Rice and McGahee, just because McGahee hsnt done crap this season, if McGahee shows consistensy and some heart I would agree it is a push.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

I would take Turner and Norwood over them to, but the Ravens average 150 yards per game on the ground and the Falcons average 160. Not much of a difference.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Basically, this offense has about three good weapons for Ryan (White, Turner, Norwood). The rest, prior to this season, were nobodies. Ryan hits them in the chest with passes and gets the ball off to make the offensive line look good. The whole 'has a good supporting cast' deal is false. We could conceivably draft WR, TE, OT, OG, or C in the first two rounds of the draft.

And Flacco hasn't been more impressive. He has been a good rookie. Ryan has been a top ten QB. Ryan has a 90 passer rating. He is a great QB.

I didn't mean for that to be a rant, it just ended up that way.

That's still more playmakers then the Ravens have, it's not like it's a huge margin but I would take both the Falcons RB's and top WR over the same positions for the Ravens and it's not even close.

That's not a fault to Ryan by any means, but it's still the truth...And the last part, there probably wasn't a soul who felt if Flacco started immediately he would perform, or look better then Ryan in the short term...As shown those 3 playmakers you listed can score any time they touch the ball, add to the fact that Ryan was alot more NFL ready and it's easy to see why he's done better.

I don't even think we should be judging these guys but performance up to this point, just for the sake of argument(not mine personally) you could say Ryan will be better in the short term and Flacco better in the long term with a higher ceiling, so if that's the case we wouldn't really know until 3 years in most likely.

Hell the Ravens wanted Matt Ryan themselves, but pointing out how much better Ryan has looked so far is no big shocker, I'm really just as shocked Flacco has grasped the offense as quickly as he has coming from D1AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A healthy Todd Heap would be about all the Ravens would have over the Falcons skill guys.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Heap is healthy, he was dropping everything in the small amount of catch opportunities he had until Texans. Ryan has a WR that can take it to the house every play, something Flacco doesn't. Flacco has 2 #2s and Ryan has a true #1 who is a top WR.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Heap is healthy, he was dropping everything in the small amount of catch opportunities he had until Texans. Ryan has a WR that can take it to the house every play, something Flacco doesn't. Flacco has 2 #2s and Ryan has a true #1 who is a top WR.
Do you think Figures could emerge as a number 1?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

no he is very light, he hasnt shown anything except him being good w/ a fly route due to his amazing speed. I dont think we have anyone who can be a #1 WR.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

An elite WR does so much for a passing game in terms of creating more space for the other receivers and giving a QB, especially a young QB, a go to guy in crucial situations. Ryan's doing great, but he does have some of the most important pieces in position. Really if only he had a top offensive line he'd be in an ideal situation for a young QB.

Flacco on the otherhand hasn't been doing as much but he's been doing it with less, once the ravens start starting DWill and add a top WR Flacco will be in a similar or even better position since his oline is further along, but I'd still take Ryan's situation over flacco's for a young QB who can get the ball out quickly.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
no he is very light, he hasnt shown anything except him being good w/ a fly route due to his amazing speed. I dont think we have anyone who can be a #1 WR.
Oh ok, do you think that Heap will regain his pro bowl form any time soon?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^ Well, in Cam Camerons offense, he uses Heap more as a blocker than a catcher, and thats odd because he used Antonio Gates totally differently in San Diego. So if we continue using him as a blocker I guess his numbers will never be what they one were but Im sure we will utilize him more in the pass game, especially since Mason might not be playign against New York. I really want Flacco and him to develope some chemistry because unlike Mason, Heap will be here alot longer.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
^^ Well, in Cam Camerons offense, he uses Heap more as a blocker than a catcher, and thats odd because he used Antonio Gates totally differently in San Diego. So if we continue using him as a blocker I guess his numbers will never be what they one were but Im sure we will utilize him more in the pass game, especially since Mason might not be playign against New York. I really want Flacco and him to develope some chemistry because unlike Mason, Heap will be here alot longer.
I hope they start throwing to him, because Heap was a total stud before his injuries. Do you think the Ravens will target a WR or a CB in the draft?