Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
Im not gonna call his career over based off half a season. Even when hes not the same back he used to be, hes still a great RB. I just hate it when people think someones career is done because of how bad someone performs in half a season. Ill wait till the next season do that.
I wouldn't say it's over, but he's on a decline which is much steeper than I anticipated.

Hello Edgerine James career path.

He'll probably play awhile longer and bring those stats up, but the best of LT has passed. I'm assuming what we see this year is what we will see from now on.

He does look to be running a little scared and does seem to be more of a diva. He's just been kinda girly ever since he complained about the Patriots dancing on the field and when he refused to be on the cover of Madden because they wouldn't give him more than the standard $200,000 they give the cover boys.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

LOL wtf... Not sure what doing coke has to do with anything, and no just because you say you did it doesn't make you cool.

Did you just figure out Rivers had a weak arm?

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tomlinson has never liked contact, he's always been one to go out of bounds rather than get an extra yard or two. This isn't a new development and doesn't explain his decline.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
Tomlinson has never liked contact, he's always been one to go out of bounds rather than get an extra yard or two. This isn't a new development and doesn't explain his decline.
LT never liked contact......really? LT is the best RB on the goal line, so you've never seen LT's stiffarms? This coming from a guy who thinks DJ is a top 10 linebacker.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LT never liked contact......really? LT is the best RB on the goal line, so you've never seen LT's stiffarms? This coming from a guy who thinks DJ is a top 10 linebacker.
Oh this is going to be good.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
the guy is averaging 3.8 ypc. yes, he is running scared, i watch plenty of charger games, i have a vested interest in LT for 2 years in a row now bc he's been on my fantasy teams, and Ive seen the transformation.

the guy avoids contact as much as he can. to me he's running scared. he's a feature back, he's supposed to be doing better than he is. now i also think Norv's ineptitude, while great for developing Rivers, has been a big reason why he's having a down year as well. But when watching him play, the thing that stands out to me is, the guy tries to avoid contact as much as possible. A great runner, which he was for a long time, knows how to get dirty and set an attitude. The attitude is gone with LT. and when thats gone, its dangerous for their futures.

I think Schotty used him better than Norv does. But still, I see a big difference in ability and heart on the guy.

I respect your opinions BBD, but I have to disagree here, and with anyone else proclaiming the end of LT.

Forgetting the injuries that slowed him during the first half of the year, there are three players as a whole who are preventing him from breaking some big runs.

1. Mike Goff, RG--The OP in this thread is an offensive line coach and praised this unit, and my mouth slacked a little, no offense. But Goff is the worst offender by far.

If anyone remembers LT's 2006, he earned his MVP running left behind Dielman, McNeill, and a pulling Goff. Well Goff can't move anymore. He literally does not get from his position to outside the left tackle, so LT's bread and butter play is entirely screwed up. Plus he gets no push on the right side, just like...

2. Jeromey Clary, RT, who might be decent depth one day but considering he can't run or pass block, I'm not sure how he's still starting over LJ Shelton. I think he'll lose his job before the season is out. Hardwick too maybe, he is getting pushed deep into the backfield on nearly every play.

3. Lorenzo Neal. FB: as in, his absence. Tolbert can catch a great pass and run with it, but he whiffs on more blocks than Matt Wilhelm does tackles, and he's gotten LT caught in the backfield or at the line literally dozens of times this year already. It's painful to watch.

During my playing days, I always knew that a running game, and really an offense in general, was a living organism. When one organ shuts down, the whole thing starts circling the drain.

Anyone can criticize LT's vision for not finding the holes...but seriously where are the holes? I've got eyes and I watch the tapes, and LT is not getting opportunities. That's his biggest problem right now. Watching the KC game, you can see pretty plainly that his speed is back, and his cutting ability too.

It's not time to give up on LT, it's time to hope his team, especially his blockers, rallies around him. For some reason, possibly good old fashioned insanity, I still think they will.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think DJ is a top 10 linebacker....I'm not quite sure where you got that impression.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think DJ is a top 10 linebacker....I'm not quite sure where you got that impression.
Think he got you confused with someone else. Probably me. I think he's a top 10 OLB, not total LB, but whatever.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
2. Jeromey Clary, RT, who might be decent depth one day but considering he can't run or pass block, I'm not sure how he's still starting over LJ Shelton. I think he'll lose his job before the season is out. Hardwick too maybe, he is getting pushed deep into the backfield on nearly every play.
Didn't the Chargers' running game take off last season when Clary entered the starting line-up? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The "Does LT shy away from contact" argument is impossible to answer. On one hand, he's gone out of bounds throughout his career instead of fighting for that extra inch.

On the other hand, his power, grit and determination on the goal line and usually on short yardage are undeniable, and physical as all hell. And he's never met a monster stiff arm opportunity he hasn't liked.

So it really just comes down to whatever your own personal criteria are.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Didn't the Chargers' running game take off last season when Clary entered the starting line-up? I thought I read that somewhere.
You probably did read that, and it's true, he injected much needed energy into the lineup. Shane Olivea's personal troubles last year and complete lack of effort and ineffectiveness are well documented.

But Clary hasn't held up, or followed through, or whatever. He's not playing well this year by any measurement.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
you're right it wasnt you my mistake.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

LT came out about 2 weeks ago and said he is 100% healthy. He told Norv that injuries are no longer and excuse and he wants to be featured more.

He's just on the decline.

Greatness doesn't last forever.

Another thing I've noticed is that he pulls himself out every couple of plays now. He used to never take himself out of the game.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
LT came out about 2 weeks ago and said he is 100% healthy. He told Norv that injuries are no longer and excuse and he wants to be featured more.

He's just on the decline.

Greatness doesn't last forever.

Another thing I've noticed is that he pulls himself out every couple of plays now. He used to never take himself out of the game.
Obviously I can't come rebut every post, but I respectfully think you're off the mark.

I just don't see how anyone minus Barry Sanders could be putting up superstar numbers behind SD's run blocking this year. It's a combination of toughness, discipline in finding their assignments, and straight up getting some push. All three of those factors have been seriously absent.

Your last point; LT has had guys come in while he takes a breather his whole career. In 2004 Jesse Chatman racked up over 500 yards. Michael Turner...nuff said. And now Darren Sproles has been extremely productive. So there's that.

Finally, way up in this page it got mentioned that LT turned down the Madden cover because he wanted more than 200,000...joking? They could have tripled it and it wouldn't matter to LT's finances. The catch, as reported by the Union Tribune, was that he didn't want to be touring the country promoting the game during the off season. Understandable, given how the 2006 season ended for him. The guy had rehabbing to do.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if LDT has lost half a step, he can still be very effective in the passing game imo. Pass pro and catching passes out of the backfield, he can still get it done. This isn't close to a Shaun Alexander or Jamal Lewis situation.

As for him running scared, that's a very interesting comment from BBD. I haven't seen enough of LDT to put my name to such a definitive statement.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Even if LDT has lost half a step, he can still be very effective in the passing game imo. Pass pro and catching passes out of the backfield, he can still get it done. This isn't close to a Shaun Alexander or Jamal Lewis situation.

As for him running scared, that's a very interesting comment from BBD. I haven't seen enough of LDT to put my name to such a definitive statement.
He has been chipping in for the passing game, both in blocking and production: probably his biggest plays this year have come off catches, which is a little sad.

Running scared; I consider BBD a font of knowledge but violently disagree on this point. Nearly as big a dig as that random "Edgerrin James' career path" comment. He's been battling injuries, his own blocking, Rivers' takeoff, and a serious lack of touches. That's a heck of a maelstrom. The number of people who have formed seemingly hardened opinions on Ladainian as he goes through what is obviously a tough season is pretty depressing.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait till we see LT next year to argue whether or not hes done. Hes having a bad year, because of injuries or whether hes just declining we'll see. Either way when all is said and done AD > LT imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Wait till we see LT next year to argue whether or not hes done. Hes having a bad year, because of injuries or whether hes just declining we'll see. Either way when all is said and done AD > LT imo.
Are you serious? or do you mean just this year?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's not that farfetched of a thought, now is it .. ?
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
It's not that farfetched of a thought, now is it .. ?
Im not trying to take anything away from AD, but LT is not only a great rusher but he is a great receiving RB also, the season where he had the 100 receptions comes to mind.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

AD has a long, long way to go before he enters LT's airspace career-wise but this season there's no comparison.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe when both of their careers are over, which should be a long time from this moment ( Unless Lt really retires in two years like hes been saying) i see AD having the better career. Just my opinion of what ive seen from Lt over his career and AD from his. AD is a nice weapon to throw to as well, not as good as Lt..... yet but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chargers really can't commit to the run, because they've been behind in all 9 games by my count. Tomlinson doesn't run as hard, and the blocking hasn't been good. But if the Chargers could get a lead early in the game for once and stay patient with the run, the lanes will be there in the 4th quarter. I think San Diego is last in the NFL in T.O.P.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
The Chargers really can't commit to the run, because they've been behind in all 9 games by my count. Tomlinson doesn't run as hard, and the blocking hasn't been good. But if the Chargers could get a lead early in the game for once and stay patient with the run, the lanes will be there in the 4th quarter. I think San Diego is last in the NFL in T.O.P.
Yeah, our D gets worked in TOP, it's seriously painful to watch. It's been a while since there has been absolutely no pressure on QBs in SD.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Yeah, our D gets worked in TOP, it's seriously painful to watch. It's been a while since there has been absolutely no pressure on QBs in SD.
Sounds like the Chiefs D!