Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74
Default The NFL where mediocrity happens

In the NFL this year there are no great teams. You never know what you are getting each week. This has made plenty of games just un watchable this year. Anyone disagree?
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weird how the game of football is unpredictable. That cannot be the reason why we all watch. Have you heard of the term any given sunday?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

First of all.....Titans?

Yeah. I'd much prefer if they did away with the salary cap and the Cowboys, Redskins, and Patriots would go 14-2 each year.

Who doesn't want the Yankees in the NFL?

----

As much as you hate it....most of us love it.

Not knowing who is going to win is what makes the NFL entertaining. Why would you want to know the result of a game before watching it? (err, have a good idea of who will win)

"Any given Sunday" already made the league fun, this is just another level of awesome.

Balanced competition ≠ mediocrity

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 11-03-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

But parity is only good if you have great teams every year. There are no great teams this year. Last year there were the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars, Chagers, Colts, Giants, Packers, Cowboys this year there is the Titans and maybe Giants with all other teams pretty much the same.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

which is bad because?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
which is bad because?
Because mediocre teams lead to mediocre football.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
But parity is only good if you have great teams every year. There are no great teams this year. Last year there were the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars, Chagers, Colts, Giants, Packers, Cowboys this year there is the Titans and maybe Giants with all other teams pretty much the same.
As the season goes on, the cream will rise to the top. It always happens.

This is the time of year when teams start to get hot and go on winning streaks. Offenses start gelling and defenses start coming together.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Every game this year is about the defense it's just awesome.
Every game I've watched this year has been fun to watch for me.
If you are a offensive fan then you might not like this year to much.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 AM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the way this seasons going, just enough chaos to let the Ravens slip through the cracks...
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
Because mediocre teams lead to mediocre football.
no, it leads to close football games. thats why people watch College football too

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
As the season goes on, the cream will rise to the top. It always happens.

This is the time of year when teams start to get hot and go on winning streaks. Offenses start gelling and defenses start coming together.
Exactly.

The first 9 weeks look ******** because they are. One or two teams usually separate from the pack or just get hot, while the other 30 or so teams kind of fight to stand out.

It's always fun like that...pick the teams on the rise and the ones just playing hot.

So don't sleep on those Jets folks...*ducks for homer throws*
Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the problem with both teams having a chance to win? I think the unpredictability of games makes them entertaining. Who wants to watch New England vs Miami besides fans of those teams when New England is undefeated and Miami is winless? Who would rather see Miami beat New England by using a college formation?

Parity is not mediocrity. The bad teams have gotten better, and the great teams have declined. Simple as that.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:56 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like most of the replies, I'd prefer a season like this, where any team can surprise. The Cardinals are leading their division and playing some pretty good football. It's about time too. I've always rooted for the underdog and I'd really like to see someone new win that division.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL is more entertaining than the english premier league or any sport that makes billions because its different every year. You want perfection you need to remove the salary cap, personally I'll take the miscues for the drama and excitement.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mediocre teams doesn't mean mediocre games. I think this is the most unpredictable and exciting season week to week that I have ever witnessed.

Personally, I can't get enough of it.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Mediocre teams doesn't mean mediocre games. I think this is the most unpredictable and exciting season week to week that I have ever witnessed.

Personally, I can't get enough of it.
that being said. the pats colts game yesterday. two teams on the decline... was a fantastic game.

the GB-Titans game was a great matchup. even the bad games are sometimes fun to watch... you can pick up any game, and there are exciting players (minus oakland and detroit... sorry), exciting plays. it's not so centric on a few teams.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

What NFL games are unpredictable this year? Damnit now there's no reason to watch since the favorite isn't winning every game.

Illmatic are you cereal? I think this has been one of the better seasons in recent memory, although last year was great to, between how incredible the pats were playing and my gmen doing the unthinkable and going undefeated on the road, including the SB against the aforementioned undefeated pats.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory for me. But I personally love a league where any team can win on any day, just a personal preference.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a lot better than just hearing about the Pats, Colts, and Chargers....

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
that being said. the pats colts game yesterday. two teams on the decline... was a fantastic game.

the GB-Titans game was a great matchup. even the bad games are sometimes fun to watch... you can pick up any game, and there are exciting players (minus oakland and detroit... sorry), exciting plays. it's not so centric on a few teams.

This is pretty exciting IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mediocrity means everyone is 4-4. Thats not the case. There are a couple of quality NFL teams this year.

They just happen to be teams youre not used to seeing. Its the changing of the guard, a shift in power. Get used to it, bc it will be this way for the next several years.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Mediocrity means everyone is 4-4. Thats not the case. There are a couple of quality NFL teams this year.

They just happen to be teams youre not used to seeing. Its the changing of the guard, a shift in power. Get used to it, bc it will be this way for the next several years.
I disagree with this. I think we'll see several shifts in power over the next couple of years. A lot of teams are in a rebuilding mode with a lot of pieces already there (they could flounder around and not amount to anything though).

Also, a lot of the teams that were strong could fix there problems pretty easily. We know the chargers / Patriots / Colts can all be repaired within the next couple of years.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I disagree with this. I think we'll see several shifts in power over the next couple of years. A lot of teams are in a rebuilding mode with a lot of pieces already there (they could flounder around and not amount to anything though).

Also, a lot of the teams that were strong could fix there problems pretty easily. We know the chargers / Patriots / Colts can all be repaired within the next couple of years.
my main point is that the shift is leaning towards the NFC. Even with the Colts and Pats retooling, the NFC has teams at the top now that are good enough to compete with them at the highest level. Its not a give me for the AFC anymore like it was.

In fact, most of the better teams are in the NFC now.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think you are right. This isn't so much a down year as it is a change in power, it just isn't switching in one season. Younger teams are starting to find themselves and the consistently good teams from years past are fading or have been hit by injuries. Next year will be even crazier if the teams like the Colts and Pats rise back up a bit.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think its more about injuries rather than changing of the powers. To my surprise, the Pats without Tom Brady are still competitive. Shawne Merriman shows just how valuable he is to that Chargers Defense. Then theres Peyton and the Colts... I don't really know what to say there. However, teams are coming up for the NFC and at the moment there are more quality NFC teams. I think AFC will be stronger next year, especially if the Titans don't drop off but the NFC is becoming strong. It's a good thing to see.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote