Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 11-13-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Updated Colts Draft(11-13-08)

This is based on that our pick is somewhere between 23-32. This draft is obviously what I would like done. Notice that I have us drafting a lot of Missouri players and that is because they all fill positions of need in my opinion.

-Indy trades Antoine Bethea to Denver for their 2nd round pick.(Bethea will be in his last year of his contract so that is always the best time to trade someone expendable on the roster. Safety is one of our deepest positions and we could start Bullitt, Marlin Jackson(since Jackson hasnt been working at CB), or Giordano in Bethea's place)

1st round- WR Jeremy Macklin, WR/KR, Missouri(Harrison should do the Colts a favor and retire after the season after the way he has looked up this this point in the season. Macklin would be a great deep threat for us and would bring a lot of speed to our WR core. He can also return kicks as well)

2nd round(from Denver)- Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri(Keiaho will probably leave after his contract is up and the only other dependable OLB I can see at this point is Session. Hagler is always hurt and Wheeler is meant more for MLB. Weatherspoon can do everything well at the OLB position and would be a great addition to this speedy core of LBs)

2nd round- Evander Hood, DT, Missouri(Gives us another big body to rotate in at DT. He, like Weatherspoon, also does everything well at his position)

3rd round- Roy Miller, DT, Texas(Again, helps us with our DT rotation and after these 2 moves to get Hood and Miller, our DT position is pretty well set)

4th round- Asher Allen, CB, Georgia(We need depth at CB with all the injuries we have been having there)

5th round- Troy Kropog, OT, Tulane(Gives us some depth there if we were to get rid of Diem's big contract)

6th round- Best RB available(preferably a power back)

7th round- Best CB available

Tell me what you would change

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan1985 View Post
Tell me what you would change
Trading Antoine Bethea, drafting Maclin, drafting a LB so early, not drafting a DT earlier than late round 2 are my main complaints. What's with 3 Mizzou players so early, and (especially with trading Bethea) not one of them being William Moore?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like he wants Bullitt to start?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bethea trade is probably wishful thinking. Polian isn't savvy in trading a player for a pick though, the last time he did it was ... Gerome Sapp? And I think it was for their late round pick they traded Baltimore for the Syracuse DE whose name I can't recall right now.

And, well, the Colts put RFA Jason David out on a line and the Saints took the bait. They were able to get a 4th round pick for him, which they used in getting Tony Ugoh I think it worked out.

I wouldn't count on a Bethea trade happening though. But if he leaves in FA after '09 and signs a big deal, hopefully he'll get the team a great compensatory pick for the '11 Draft. Seems weird to talk that far off, but you get the point.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jackson hasn't been working out at CB? News to me.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

colts_fan8818 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think a WR is the best use of a first round pick. We still have Wayne and Gonzalez, also Roy Hall and Garcon who looks good. I think that a WR should be drafted at some point but not the first round. Espcially when there are so many holes on the D-line.
colts_fan8818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
I didn't catch that, yeah I wouldn't agree either. Although I now side with Dam that Kelvin Hayden is probably the better overall corner of the two. But Jackson is very close and when he's playing his best football, he can really get it done.

I'm kind of torn about CB and the Colts. I want Hayden and Jackson to be re-signed, to stay with the team, but on the other hand this defense can probably do with them as we've seen recently with Ratliff and Jennings plus youngsters in Hughes and Coe. Overall though, I must admit I'd still like to see Hayden and Jackson stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts_fan8818 View Post
I don't think a WR is the best use of a first round pick. We still have Wayne and Gonzalez, also Roy Hall and Garcon who looks good. I think that a WR should be drafted at some point but not the first round. Espcially when there are so many holes on the D-line.
I dig what the Packers have done, continuing to build up their receiving core with a 2nd or 3rd round pick every year ('06 2nd Greg Jennings, '07 3rd Jason Jones, '07 5th David Clowney, '08 2nd round Jordy Nelson). And I get that the Colts want to supply Peyton with weapons, so he can lead the offense and the team as a whole to success, but does every weapon really have to be a 1st round pick? How about signing a cheap lower-tier free agent to look better in the offense?

Now having said that, depending where the Colts pick and who is available, the best player available could very well be a WR. Everyone is so focused on a DT - you think the Packers don't wish they drafted Dwayne Bowe instead of Justin Harrell? DTs are expendable, almost as much as RBs imo. WRs are not expendable, plus they can last for over a decade. They can be worth their second contracts. Tommie Harris doesn't look worth his second contract right now.

I don't expect Maclin to reach anywhere near the Colts pick, so junior Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland probably then becomes the focus (and even he might not reach the Colts' pick). He's a 6-3/205 with probably sub-4.4 speed, he is certainly impressive, and might even be smarter than the regular Maryland player. Does he fit the Colts' profile, especially at WR? Who knows, we'll see.

The one thing that pushes for the idea of a first round WR is the rest of the class afterwards. Especially if the Colts are looking for speed, but also the character and brains to play in the offense, the potential finds probably aren't many at all. If they do cut Dead Weight 88 after this season, they definitely need to add a fifth receiver to the roster then. I do like Garcon though, too bad Peyton underthrew him on his first (?) catch last week, and am excited about the prospect of Hall although he's had very tough lucky with injuries thus far.

Again though, I wouldn't mind the team to look at cheap free agent receiver to plug into the offense, ala Brandon Stokley in '03 (the horrible mistake came when Polian signed him to that ridiculous contract in '04, so stupid). Even if it's speed, maybe Devery Henderson of the Saints could be an option if he can keep catching the ball.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Marlin wasn't having a very good year before the injury. I could see chalking it up to a bad year, but he definitely needs to look more like 2007 Marlin Jackson than 2008 Marlin Jackson in 2009. You could say DT play had a little to do with it though, Marlin had to play off a lot because of safeties coming up, IMO he's much better when he can jam his man.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Marlin wasn't having a very good year before the injury. I could see chalking it up to a bad year, but he definitely needs to look more like 2007 Marlin Jackson than 2008 Marlin Jackson in 2009. You could say DT play had a little to do with it though, Marlin had to play off a lot because of safeties coming up, IMO he's much better when he can jam his man.
Marlin and the rest of the D, I realise Marlin was better last year, but so was Bethea etc. I think the whole D is just having a down year, rather than Marlin personally.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Now having said that, depending where the Colts pick and who is available, the best player available could very well be a WR. Everyone is so focused on a DT - you think the Packers don't wish they drafted Dwayne Bowe instead of Justin Harrell? DTs are expendable, almost as much as RBs imo. WRs are not expendable, plus they can last for over a decade. They can be worth their second contracts. Tommie Harris doesn't look worth his second contract right now.
I'm looking at DT as the top option right now, but honestly, if there's not a worthwhile 3-tech there, then the value isn't there in round 1. It has to be a guy like Tommie Harris (before all the injuries), Kevin Williams, Warren Sapp, or what many people expect Glenn Dorsey will be. As of now, I can think of two players who could potentially declare and fit that bill: Sen'Derrick Marks of Auburn and Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma. If those one of those two aren't available, Brian Orakpo and William Moore are the most intriguing options, after that I wouldn't mind WR or even trading down.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

On a general note, Oklahoma guys terrify me, given how many of them have been busts. Harris and AD might be the only exceptions I can think of.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
On a general note, Oklahoma guys terrify me, given how many of them have been busts. Harris and AD might be the only exceptions I can think of.
The same could be said about Auburn players, especially defenders. I wouldn't want the Colts to let history scare them away from a great talent.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I want to see Sen'Derrick in a Colts jersey, so so much.