Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
I think Pitt steamrolls them by at least 21
Our defensive line will eat Pittsys Oline for breakfest. Id think theyd beat us, but no way by double digits. Not with the way Cassel has been playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gotta give Cassel a lot of credit; he actually made throws today. It was pretty impressive. He wasn't limited in the offense very much and did some nice things with his mobility. Finally made use of the guys around him. He's still nowhere near the quarterback Brady was/is, but he's in a pretty good situation down the stretch. He's probably going to lose some offseason money next week against Pittsburgh though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Tom came out gunslinging it right from the beginning, lit up the Colts and then started lighting up everybody. Can't believe were even having this discussion. Is Cassel going to take Brady's job?

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys View Post
Tom came out gunslinging it right from the beginning, lit up the Colts and then started lighting up everybody. Can't believe were even having this discussion. Is Cassel going to take Brady's job?
Nope. Under no circumstances.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Cassell a lot, he had a great game today and has showed a lot of talent and toughness this season. The Steelers defense will be a big challenge for him and I can't wait to see how he does.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:11 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think alot of this game will hing on what Roethlisberger shows up. If the good Big Ben shows up then the Patriots are in trouble, but if the bad Big Ben shows up then the Patriots have a shot. Hopefully Matt Light can play next week to keep Cassel on his feet as much as possible, because he will get sacked at least a few times by Pittsburgh. If Cassel plays like he has the last two weeks and the line can give him some time I think the Patriots have a good chance. The Pats' defense really needs to step up next week.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay Pats fans, I have a hypothetical for you, call it the worst case scenario: What if the infection in Brady's knee takes hold as the surgeons fear, he has to have a new ligament replacement surgery, and he's out for the 2009 season. Do the Pats franchise Cassel? Do they still let him walk? Or do they sign him long term?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Not a Pats fan but here are my thoughts.

Franchise him.

Don't have to commit long term on a possible fluke and he will still have to play for a new contract again.

We all know he doesn't "deserve" a franchise tag, both financially and in principle, but I find it to be the best solution.

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 11-23-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Okay Pats fans, I have a hypothetical for you, call it the worst case scenario: What if the infection in Brady's knee takes hold as the surgeons fear, he has to have a new ligament replacement surgery, and he's out for the 2009 season. Do the Pats franchise Cassel? Do they still let him walk? Or do they sign him long term?
Well thats already been taken care of so no worries there but i would imagine we franchise him. I can see us doing that even with a healthy Brady just to make sure Brady is ready to go again and if not we'll have a solid back up.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would franchise him for at least next year. God forbid that Tom is not ready for the beginning of next year, then Cassel would still be around to lead the team.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought i heard this today on one of the pregame shows, Cassell is the 1st Patriots QB to throw for 400 yards in back to back games

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
I thought i heard this today on one of the pregame shows, Cassell is the 1st Patriots QB to throw for 400 yards in back to back games
I just heard Boomer say that he is only the 5th QB to go for over 400 in back to back games along with Dan Marino, Phil Simms, Billy Volek, Dan Fouts.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, do people still think he doesn't come close to their revisionist memory of '01 Brady?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
So, do people still think he doesn't come close to their revisionist memory of '01 Brady?
01 Brady's team

08 Cassel's team

that is all
Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I like Cassell a lot, he had a great game today and has showed a lot of talent and toughness this season. The Steelers defense will be a big challenge for him and I can't wait to see how he does.
I think it's going to be difficult and I won't be too critical on him if he loses. The reason for that being that without Matt Light in the game he will be harassed much like Ben Roethlisberger will be.

However, we are watching the emergence of a quarterback and I think it's a beautiful thing. I've been a Cassell fan for a while and am glad that he's turning into the QB I thought he could be. He's going to make Minnesota a very competitive team next year.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

I saw what you did there.

:)
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Not a Pats fan but here are my thoughts.

Franchise him.

Don't have to commit long term on a possible fluke and he will still have to play for a new contract again.

We all know he doesn't "deserve" a franchise tag, both financially and in principle, but I find it to be the best solution.
How much cap-space do the Patriots have? Do they really have enough wiggle room to commit 11 million dollars of their cap to their backup QB?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
How much cap-space do the Patriots have? Do they really have enough wiggle room to commit 11 million dollars of their cap to their backup QB?
I was working on that assumption.

probably not though.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 AM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
all aboard!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His days as a Patriot are numbered now. Brady is their starter no matter what.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's extremely lazy and bad reasoning to boot. do you next plan to argue that joe montana is actually a really average quarterback?
I'm surprised it took this long.

That said, I AM too lazy to go any further atm.

Cassel<<<<<

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 11-24-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Cassell is playing well right now yes, after two very impressive performances i as a pats fan feel a little bit better everytime i see his arm come back to throw the ball. I for one do not believe this is the same situation as Brady, mostly because as already stated the talent level around Cassell and that of Brady are just so far apart its not even fair. Not to take anything away from Cassells play, but Brady played that way with this team every game last year. It could be argued that he was more comfortable with the system, but that first game against the Jets last year when Moss lit up that secondary proved how great of a Qb Brady is having had no playing time with Moss, so i dont think that argument does anything but prove Brady is on another Level. Could Cassell become a huge name star Qb? It looks like he has all the right tools to do so, but in all seriousness, imo Cassell is no Brady.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder how much of it is a system. I'm not saying it's like Florida or Texas Tech. I'm not saying it's that Cassel isn't good. But two relatively unknown college quarterbacks just don't magically turn all pro under the same coach by coincidence. I think coach has some mastermind scheme.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
I wonder how much of it is a system. I'm not saying it's like Florida or Texas Tech. I'm not saying it's that Cassel isn't good. But two relatively unknown college quarterbacks just don't magically turn all pro under the same coach by coincidence. I think coach has some mastermind scheme.
Excellent scouting + untapped potential + at least 2 years in the same system + steady coaching staff = Tom Brady's and currently Matt Cassell's success.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
completely meaningless given that the comparison was based on each player's first season, thus how brady did last year with the same team is irrelevant. moreso when you consider that the playcalling is VASTLY different for reasons only belichick knows.
True but i was just trying to point out Brady didnt have expreience with Moss in that first game either.

Quote:
Quote: