Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Having nobody to provide a consistent pass rush outside of Abe is not cutting it.

This is an issue that will absolutely need to be made a top priority this offseason, if the Falcons want to get better and seriously compete next year. The pass rush is basically 90% Abe, with Davis and Babs providing a few sacks a year and Jamaal Anderson doing nothing as a pass rusher, save for 2 games in which he was like a different player. Abraham can't always do it alone when he's healthy and you never know when he'll be not healthy. The fact the Babs and Davis will be a UFA's after the season complicates the matter. Addressing the D-line might be priority #1 this upcoming offseason.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't give up on Jamaal Anderson yet.

Sure he has been a disappointment thus far but he is still only 22-years-old and was never really expected to be a 10-15 sack a year type.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Anderson was a step faster he would have had 2 sacks today
Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post

Sure he has been a disappointment thus far but he is still only 22-years-old and was never really expected to be a 10-15 sack a year type.
I'm not giving up on him yet, but i'm not optimistic either. He's invisible too often. I'm also a believer in having 3 starting quality DE's. Especially when one of your DE's struggles to stay healthy throughout the year like Abraham does. Seeing teams like the Giants invest heavily into having depth at DE strengthens that opinion. Being able to pressure the passer is too important to depend totally on 1 or 2 guys to do it.

BTW Scott, i'm curious if you've watched much of this year's class of rookie OT's. Seeing Ryan Clady yesterday and hearing that he's having a great rookie year is making me wonder how guys like Jake Long, Jeff Otah, etc are performing. I don't pretend to focus on O-lineman much when I watch football, so I rely a lot on other's opinions. I'd love to get your take on it. A blog entry on the topic would be even better. Thanks.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

Twinblade needs more cowbell.

Move Jamaal to the DT spot, simple as that.
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

They did expect more than 2 sacks in 26 games. I think everyone did, I never thought that Anderson was going to be a top pass rusher and thought that he was taken two high last year.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
Move Jamaal to the DT spot, simple as that.
So you want him as a DT?

He would be much worse, trust me.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Then why spend a Top 10 pick on him?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Then why spend a Top 10 pick on him?
That's what im thinking. Jamaal Anderson had 13.5 sacks(1st SEC), and 28 hurries his junior year of college at only 20 years old. Great size for an NFL DE so idk why he wouldn't be projected at 10-15 sacks a year guy. I dont think falcons FO expected him to just be a run stuffer in the NFL with numbers like that.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamaal wasn't projected as a guy who would start out as a 10-15 sack guy. He was projected as more of a guy t o get 2-3 his rookie year. 3-4 his soph year, and then bust out with 10 or so his 3rd year. Also, he has been getting great pass rush ever since he dropped back down to around 280-285 around week 5 and should get some more sacks this year. Denver was a tough game due to their experience on the lines but clady was having a field day without having any holding calls against him.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamaal needs to be about 270-275. He lacks a burst.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
What he needs to do is get himself in some seriously vigurous workout programs that will have him lose body fat, gain muscle and get into great football shape.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no matter how good JA98 could become, we still need another pass rusher. Its so important to rotate guys and keep them fresh.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
no matter how good JA98 could become, we still need another pass rusher. Its so important to rotate guys and keep them fresh.
THAT is the point. Jamaal is going to be okay. He might be good. He might even be great. But we've already seen that his role is pretty well set: play LDE on 1st and 2nd down, hold up against the run, and hopefully get some pressure on the passer if they throw on 1st or 2nd.

Then, on 3rd down, he almost always shifts inside, a la Tuck. What we need to be able to do is send FOUR true pass-rushers on 3rd down, and be able to keep everyone else back in zone, with the occasional blitz as a surprise tactic.

To do that, we need Abraham at one end, Anderson and (probably) Babs inside, and then another speed rusher at the other end. Davis, as much as I like him, is not a quality pass-rusher. Biermann might turn into a good player, but he's done nothing to encourage us to rely on him.

We also need someone to develop into Abraham's eventual replacement.

I think that we should draft a pure speed rusher in the 2nd or 3rd round - someone who is not a 1st rounder, probably because he lacks the size to be an every-down end. Those kind of guys can usually be had. Possibilities this year are Shaughnessy, Cody Brown, Larry English...

In fact, I wouldn't be upset if we used our first rounder to draft a guy like Ev Brown, Selvie, or Michael Johnson.

Michael Johnson would actually be ideal, thinking about it. No one has a quicker first step, and no one would deny that he has the potential to be elite. What he needs is to bulk up, and learn better technique. In the role as 3rd down rusher, he's be perfect, and he'd have time to bulk up and learn tech from Abraham, before eventually replacing him. Doesn't hurt that he's a local.

In fact, I've talked myself into it. My new mock draft would start with Michael Johnson.

1. Michael Johnson - see above
2. Vince Oghobaase - can't have too strong a D-line...
3. Fenuki Tupou - big load to develop as RT or RG.
4. Eric Wood - C to replace McClure in a year or so, nasty
5. Bear Pascoe - Well rounded TE to develop
7. A. Linebacker - guy for depth and ST

Ryan can wait another year for his true pass catching TE. SS addressed in free agency, ideally with Sean Jones. I'd also want a big MF to play RT (Carey or Andrews), letting Clabo and Dahl compete with Tupou for RG.

Note the trend - first five picks (and major free agent) all play on the line.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. We need to do a better job of getting to the passer. Abraham applies pressure on a majority of the pass plays but the QB can easily avoid one person and step up. When you have 2 guys, it becomes exponentially harder. When Cutler dropped back before the half, Abraham and Babineux brought the pressure and sacked a QB who had only been sacked 7 times coming into the game.

We need to get a better pass rush from the interior of our line. Babs has been inconsistent and tends to disappear in the pass rushing front.

And no way am I ready to write off Jamaal Anderson. He has done a decent job of bringing pressure recently and I expect his raw self to get better. He is pretty good against the run too.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need Jason Worilds.

He's a 'All-Worild' type player. Ooh, see what I just did. That's a pun.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

People seem to forget how important Jamaal is to this team, when he went down in the phillys game, our defense dug themselves a bigger hole.

Only thing people care about is overrated Sacks, sacks are useless if the opposing team gets a first down after being sacked on the last play.

INT > Sacks

That's a game changer, disagree if you like but its the truth.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
maybe he lacks pass rushing moves
Old 11-21-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
maybe he lacks pass rushing moves
He cant do a ******* pass rushing move when he cant MOVE!!

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
People seem to forget how important Jamaal is to this team, when he went down in the phillys game, our defense dug themselves a bigger hole.

Only thing people care about is overrated Sacks, sacks are useless if the opposing team gets a first down after being sacked on the last play.

INT > Sacks

That's a game changer, disagree if you like but its the truth.
Umm, for a DE to cause an int he needs to apply pressure. Not only does Jamaal Anderson not get sacks but he seldom gets pressure.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
So you want him as a DT?

He would be much worse, trust me.
Is that so? please explain to me why he would be worse when he clearly have the size to be a DT, Jamaal is not fast enough to be a DE, he needs to be a DT, end of discussion.

BamaFalcon59, he does get to the QB, he forces QB's to throw...I don't know if you been watching many games to see this.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Is that so? please explain to me why he would be worse when he clearly have the size to be a DT, Jamaal is not fast enough to be a DE, he needs to be a DT, end of discussion.

BamaFalcon59, he does get to the QB, he forces QB's to throw...I don't know if you been watching many games to see this.
If you think he should be a full time DT, then you probably shouldn't be asking me if I am watching the games. He is too lanky (285-290) for his height (6'5"), and doesn't have the strength to overcome that. His leverage is decent but not exceptional.

And I've seen every game this year.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He did a good job today against Otah. He was breaking the pocket a couple times. He is definitely improving at least.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I agree he has looked better this season. He has not been a playmaker, but he has been average at least.

But in no way should he be a defensive tackle.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Yeah I agree. He would get thrown around with his height.