Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Fassel to the Raiders?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...-coach-raiders

Quote:
I was under the impression that people stopped using handwritten letters back in the mid-1990s.

Apparently Jim Fassel still does.

The former New York Giants head coach has expressed his interest in coaching the Raiders by sending Al Davis the aforementioned handwritten letter. Some may say this indicates desperation on the part of Fassel. However, there is just the slightest chance that Fassel may be the ideal fit for Al Davis and the Oakland Raiders.

Fassel had a respectable record in New York going 58-53-1 (thatís right Donovan McNabb, ties can indeed happen in football). He most famously took the Giants to the Super Bowl in 2001 and was named NFL coach of the year in 1997.

He has a long standing record of tutoring prominent quarterbacks, most notably John Elway, when he was an assistant at Stanford back in the early 1980s. He also resurrected the career of Kerry Collins while with the Giants.

Given that JaMarcus Russell is the most important component of the Raiders playing staff, this could be a crucial advantage for Fassel.

Critics will point however to Fassel's lack of success with the Baltimore Ravens, where he was offensive coordinator between 2004 and 2006. Fassel was ignominiously fired midway through the 2006 season.

Whether Fassel is the answer to the Raiders ailments or not Al Davis must ask himself one simple question when hiring a new head coach is this: Is the candidate a good leader of men?

The Raiders need strong leadership. Free agents, high draft picks, West Coast offenses, Wildcat formations are all irrelevant without strong leadership. It is this quality that has been lacking in Oakland since the departure of John Gruden .

If Fassel can demonstrate the requisite leadership qualities to Al Davis, then perhaps the Raiders will start to see the light at the end of the very dark black hole.

Not quite sure why anyone would want this job???

Last edited by Zyro_1014 : 11-20-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim must really miss work.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Jim must really miss work.
who in their right mind would ever want to do that? lol
Old 11-20-2008, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim wants it because it might be the only job he can get for some reason. Somehow Norv Turner keeps getting jobs but Jim can't. Plus his son is already on the staff.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He sent a handwritten letter because Al doesn't own a computer.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
He sent a handwritten letter because Al doesn't own a computer.
Al has not heard of it yet.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually read a rumor here in Canada that the Toronto Argonauts may try and go after Fassel as their coach.

Don't really want to search hard for a link.

This would definitely be a bad move for Fassel, CFL and NFL require a different approach coaching wise. And plus, I think he'll probably end up taking a job in the NFL anyways.

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF4 View Post
I actually read a rumor here in Canada that the Toronto Argonauts may try and go after Fassel as their coach.

Don't really want to search hard for a link.

This would definitely be a bad move for Fassel, CFL and NFL require a different approach coaching wise. And plus, I think he'll probably end up taking a job in the NFL anyways.
Here is your link

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/foo...71701-sun.html

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll probably won't get his chance unless Jim Harbaugh declines

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
He'll probably won't get his chance unless Jim Harbaugh declines
Harbaugh just signed an extension with Stanford iirc. I dont think he goes to Oakland because he is really making an impact on turning Stanford around and I think he is smart enough to avoid the Raiders. Maybe if they offered him some contract he couldnt say no to would he go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Fassel, and he was one of my choices when the Saints were looking for a HC. I think he could do as much as anyone could in trying to turn around the Raiders.

It's a damn shame the Raiders are in the situation they're in now. They have talent on the team but what they lack is a steady coaching staff. I think, emphasis on the think part, that Fassel could provide that stability. He's an offensive minded coach that also has a somewhat old school mentality. As a former QB he could help tutor JaMarcus Russell into becoming a pro-QB. He's had success before as a HC and his teams made numerous post-season appearances. With a great defensive coordinator working with him (Mike Nolan?) I think that same success could be seen in Oakland.

However, this team still needs quite a bit of work and no coach will ever succeed in Oakland due to the meddling of Al Davis and that's a ******* shame. No matter my hate, disdain, and complete antipathy for the Raiders organization it still is a travesty what is happening there. A storied franchise that has some great old school rivalries should never be put into the kind of situation the Raiders now find themselves in. It's degrading to their fans, to the city, and to the NFL for Davis to still be in charge.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-20-2008 at 09:24 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fassel will get sucked into the black hole just like all of the other coaches.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:25 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way in hell Harbaugh really wants to coach in Oakland. I'm sure he is only using the Raiders to get his name in the media so he gets a new contract/more money at Stanford and it looks like it worked. Al Davis will not have many options to pick a Head Coach this off-season and its his own fault.

Last edited by NIN1984 : 11-20-2008 at 11:30 PM.
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fassel is the only guy that wants a piece of this mess

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

i would love to see someone who could help Jamarcus develope a little bit, i just dont think the situation he is in right now is helping him one bit.

I feel really bad for this franchise.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell what does he have to lose? If he wins a couple games idk like 6 hes a ****ing genius and already better then what the Raiders have done. Not like he can really make the Raiders look worse.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
Hell what does he have to lose? If he wins a couple games idk like 6 hes a ****ing genius and already better then what the Raiders have done. Not like he can really make the Raiders look worse.
This is true.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:31 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Al has not heard of it yet.
He fired it.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
He fired it.
In the first game Al Davis ever played the grand prize was fire.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Jim wants it because it might be the only job he can get for some reason. Somehow Norv Turner keeps getting jobs but Jim can't. Plus his son is already on the staff.
Yeah fassel really got himself black listed after he got fired. I am sure at this point he is desperate to get back in the coaching cycle. The longer he stays out the harder it would be to get back in. He really is stuck, going back to the college ranks would pretty much mean he done from the NFL, and would need Pete Carrol type success to be considered again. I always hated Fasshole as our coach, but I do feel bad for him.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Yeah fassel really got himself black listed after he got fired. I am sure at this point he is desperate to get back in the coaching cycle. The longer he stays out the harder it would be to get back in. He really is stuck, going back to the college ranks would pretty much mean he done from the NFL, and would need Pete Carrol type success to be considered again. I always hated Fasshole as our coach, but I do feel bad for him.
Well his good "buddy" Billick really threw him under the bus. Let Fassel take the blame for a bad offense, when they never had a good offense the entire time Billick was there. Minus the one huge year for Lewis, but the QB play was always bad. I hope people aren't holding Baltimore against Jim. Bottomline is Jim has the best resume of most available coaches (Unless Cowher comes back). Coaches who have records like him, get second chances.

Overall winning record, coach of the year, 3 playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl apperance.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Well his good "buddy" Billick really threw him under the bus. Let Fassel take the blame for a bad offense, when they never had a good offense the entire time Billick was there. Minus the one huge year for Lewis, but the QB play was always bad. I hope people aren't holding Baltimore against Jim. Bottomline is Jim has the best resume of most available coaches (Unless Cowher comes back). Coaches who have records like him, get second chances.

Overall winning record, coach of the year, 3 playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl apperance.
Yeah but i wonder what he does in the interviews. I am starting to think he must suck at them. I figured he would get the skins job, and get passed over, and then his alama mater stanford passed him over for Harbaugh too. So maybe it goes beyond stats but more so what people think of him as a coach, not as a person.

Maybe they think the reason for our success was S. Payton and Fox. One came close to the superbowl, and the other made it. So perhaps there may be talk of something regarding his coaching skills that we, as fans, don't know. That's the only thing I can think of.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the only way he's ever going to get a serious coaching gig. If he does well with the crappy Raiders another team might offer him a job once Davis eventually fires him. Its like a job interview for him. A very frustrating and well paying one.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote