Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
sweetd20
Veteran

sweetd20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If they can't land Pioli I like a guy that isn't on the radar, Chris Mara of the Giants. He is their VP of Player Evaluation and was a scout for them during their first two Super Bowls. He also ran his own independent scouting firm as well as turning around an AFL team as their GM. The Mara family has been around football for a long time and his brother is currently the President and CEO of the Giants.
sweetd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what would you guys feel about a coach coming in and establishing a 3-4? I feel as if we are a true NT away from being able to pull it off. with redding at DE along with cody or IAF at the other DE. Avril fits in well as a pass rusher. The only question would be sims. but as we rebuild i think we may have an easier time building a 3-4. plus it seems like a lot of the better defenses are 3-4's and if you get the right DC you could do well with it. plus it seems like a lot of the DE's coming out of college are tweeners and most seem better off as a rusher that a DE
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Start a 3-4 and then bring in Cowher.

LET'S DO THIS!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowher is running from the job and Casserly and Reese are not running. Pioli is not running. Let's bring in someone who will run the team not ruin it.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would you say Reese is not running? He has openly lobbied for the job.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said Cowher is running from the job. He does not want it, The others, Reese has put his hat in the ring, he is running for the job. He wants it. I think Pioli wants it. Perhaps, I was not clear.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, that was indeed confusing. I thought you meant Cowher was running from it, while Casserly/Reese/Pioli weren't running FOR the job.

Pioli in 09!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm starting to think that we'll be better by 2012, just in time for the world to end with the end of the mayan calendar and all those end of the world prophecies. and then we'll never get to see them play in the super bowl.

09-pioli/new coach/franchise qb/franchise LT/franchise defensive leader
10-build on success with cornerback and defensive end help
11-playoff run then world ends before super bowl in 12
or
12-undefeated then world ends before playoffs

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Yeah... that was some really confusing wording there.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
what would you guys feel about a coach coming in and establishing a 3-4?
I was actually just thinking about this. WMD has brought it up before and I shot it down, but Detroit might actually be able to build a decent 3-4 easier than a 4-3. In fact it's a transition that could probably be made in one draft. Only problem is it wouldn't be a great fit for Ernie Sims and Dizon would be worthless.

You could still use #1 on an offensive player, then take BJ Raji with the Cowboy's pick, and George Selvie in the second. Also draft Worrell Williams, Vance Walker, and Jasper Brinkley.

DE: IAF/Vance Walker
NT: BJ Raji
DE: Corey Redding
OLB: George Selvie
ILB: Ernie Sims/Worrell Williams/Jasper Brinkley
ILB: Ernie Sims/Worrell Williams/Jasper Brinkley
OLB: Cliff Avril

For the first year of changing systems that'd be quite good in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

maybe they could go after John Mitchell or Keith Butler, two underrated coaches who would bring the Dick LeBeau type defense to that team. Or even Dick LeBeau could be brought in, didn't he play for you guys?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we need to desperatly try and sign either haynesworth peppers or suggs. Overpay since we'll need to but if we add them to our dline we would be able to have somewhat of a respectable defense. our secondary is terrible but i think we need to start with our front seven and work our way from there. If we add a star to our oline and draft a LB at 33 our front seven looks much better. We have some young DTs in fluellen and cohen along with avril and IAF. Hopefully one of them can play decent and along with redding and white our dline can be decent. Our LB's would be solid with a new MLB, Dizon sims and Lenon (at SLB). Our Secondary will still suck but our defense is so bad we will need a few years to build it but alteast we will be solid against the run and be able to get solid pressure.

Offensivly we need to build around CJ and Kevin Smith. They both look like future stars CJ looking scary good. Right now i see us taking a QB at #1 but either way LT or QB our offense will look better because i believe a LT will be taken somewhere in round one. This will move backus to OG and i actually believe that our oline will be very good with this addition. Thus with a solid oline our running game will be better along with much more time for CJ to get the ball and dominate some more.

My mock right now for positions is:

1a: QB (Stafford)
1b: LT (Oher)
2: DE, LB (Spikes, Hardy)
3a: DE, DT (Graham Terrence Taylor)
3b: RB (ringer)
4: Secondary
Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Stafford #1, and Defense the rest of the way (except we should get a KR).
Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I want Stafford #1, and Defense the rest of the way (except we should get a KR).
No OT?

If a top OT is there with the dallas pick i'd take him if not i agree defense all they way. I also feel like we need a abckup RB as well we can't expect Smith to take all the carries but we could do that thru FA
Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Going forward, my theory on Stafford is that, for me, he has the Michigan State game to start impressing me. If he cant look good against our defense then he aint worth s***!

Go Sparty!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really want you guys to go with the Patriot connection... Pioli/McDaniels/Crennel/Cassel. I'm sick and tired of you guys sucking, and I'm a Bears fan!

Then, in the draft, I would say trade down, but that ain't happening with the no. 1 pick, so go with Orakpo. Then, with your other first round pick, take someone like Eben Britton.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Orakpo number one? If we were going to go defense number one, it would have to be Jenkins or Curry!!! The DE pool is rather deep this year. You could get Connor Barwin with one of our thirds!!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notredameleo View Post
Orakpo number one? If we were going to go defense number one, it would have to be Jenkins or Curry!!! The DE pool is rather deep this year. You could get Connor Barwin with one of our thirds!!
I guess you could go with either Jenkins or Curry, but with all the holes on the team, I think it's best to upgrade the trenches first.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind drafting Stafford #1, defense at #19, and then a guard at #33.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Free Agency can be pretty significant for us this year to set up our draft. Potential FAs include good OTs in Vernon Carey and Jordan Gross, DEs in Suggs and J-Pep, DT in Fat Albert, CBs in Daunte Robinson and Asi, RBs in Jacobs and Ward, QBs in Cassel and DA(trade market) and etc....

If we can make a big splash in 1 guy or more than we can really start to define our off-season plan.

Ex. 1 - we sign Cassell to big deal, obviously we probably wont draft QB at 1

Ex. 2 - We sign Jordan Gross, that would probably mean that we wouldnt draft an OT in the first day.

Ex. 3 - We sign Suggs, we probably wouldnt draft a DE in the top 3 rounds.

I'm not really big on Cassell, so I dont really like that direction, but if we get McDaniels as our HC then this strategy makes sense.

If I were GM then I'd go for Suggs in FA, if Stafford proves himself worthy of #1 then get him, draft a LT at #19 if there is 1 still left, #33 and Dallas' 3rd and move up to 24 ish and draft a MLB or DT and then in 3rd take BPA at a position of need (shouldnt be to difficult).

I'd be pretty enthusiatic with an off-season of:

FA-Suggs and Ward(Yes I'd prefer Jacobs and his punishing run style, but $)

#1 - Stafford
#19 - Jason Smith
#24 - Lauranitis
#65 - Terrance Taylor, Darius Butler, or Herman Johnson

Dream Scenario (very unlikely):

FA - Suggs and Gross

#1 - trade down to #3 for a 2nd and draft Bradford
#19 - Trade to #25 for extra 3rd and draft Peria Jerry
#33 - Spikes
#36 (from trade) - Alex Mack (play RG for yr or 2 then move to C)
#49 (trade up from #65 with extra 3rd from trade) - Shonn Greene
#83 - Darius Butler
5th - WR/RS
6th - TE
6th - K for kickoffs and grooming for the eventual retirement of Hanson
Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I actually don't want to spend any kind of big money in free agency. I'm all for filling holes, but I don't want to break the bank for anyone. We're so far away from any kind of success that I think it'd be a waste of money.

But, out of all the big FA's out there, I think Albert Haynesworth would help us out the most.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woodnick, Jason Smith is a top 10 pick if you ask me. No way he's there at 19, let alone later than that.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

I cannot see this team being successful with Jeff Backus at LT. He is without a doubt the worst LT in football. I think he would be a decent OG and thats why I am so deadset on drafting Andre Smith. Sure he might not be in the BEST shape, but he has a great motor and his skill set is GREAT. The kid can play. We need a LT BAD and I think if we pass on one with the #1 pick we are going to kick ourselves.

But, I think we will hire some moronic GM, keep Rod and draft a QB #1 who is going to be getting sacked a ton his first couple of game. I could also see a major reach with the Dallas pick and that guy never amounting to anything. Until we have a proven guy as GM, I will never feel good about the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...oaching-update

LIONS They are meeting about Rod Marinelli's future Monday morning, and at this point it looks to be a long shot that he returns. The Lions are looking to bring in a person to complement GM Martin Mayhew and new President Tom Lewand and could look at guys like former Broncos GM Ted Sunquist among others.

As for coach, they'll look at the usual suspects, but could also look outside the box at guys like Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Falcons OC Mike Mularkey and perhaps Titans OC Mike Heimerdinger, who has led a resurgence of the Titans' efficiency on offense.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been looking forward to the off-season for so long I am genuinely excited...