Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 AM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

j-pep would be amazing, im still praying ford dies or something and jr takes over....I BELIEVE!!
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The plan is still in place.
Hire a new GM....wtf
Let him have total control...Ford already screwed the pooch
Clean house....he can't even fire a coach outright when he has lost 22 out of23.
Bring in two or three FA's...nobody will ever sign here
Draft best players available...we have three in the top 33 and 5 in the top 84 so there's still hope
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we need to open our wallets to either gross suggs jpep or haynesworth. OT DE DT are all huge holes for us and positions we need to adress in our first 3 picks so if we are able to fill that hole thru FA it'd be huge since we will most likely be looking at QB as well. In order for us to get one of theseplayers we will have to overpay but these guys are all stars and if we are able to get one of these guys it will be big not only for his ability but for their leadership since i feel we will be getting very young soon
Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Suggs. I'd be OK with spending big on Gross or obviously Haynesworth though.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why wouldnt u want suggs?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
why wouldnt u want suggs?
Never been a big fan. I'd rather make our big free agent splash on the other guys if possible.

Also, I know a lot of you guys disagree, but I think DE is a secondary need for this team if I had to break them into tiers.

Tier 1: QB, OG, LB, DT
Tier 2: DE, OT, CB
Tier 3: TE, WR, RB, S
Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Never been a big fan. I'd rather make our big free agent splash on the other guys if possible.

Also, I know a lot of you guys disagree, but I think DE is a secondary need for this team if I had to break them into tiers.

Tier 1: QB, OG, LB, DT
Tier 2: DE, OT, CB
Tier 3: TE, WR, RB, S
i agree on tier one but i put OT in that tier in order to move backus to OG. A new OT upgrades both OG and OT IMO.

Also in my tier one would be the DLine in general. DT is important but i simply believe that the Dline must be upgraded whether that be in the middle or on the outside we need playmakers on the line. Theres no doubt that a big powerful DT to penetrate and clog the middle is vital and with that addition will come improved play from white avril and redding. I also feel that if you add a very good pass rusher such as hardy you will also see improved play from the same guys.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Also i will add that Avril led all rookies in sacks this year with 5 and second in forced fumbles with 4. This is actually very impressive IMO for a rookie and hopefully we will see good things form him next year.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Woodnick, Jason Smith is a top 10 pick if you ask me. No way he's there at 19, let alone later than that.
Well I didnt ask you, no J/K. I know Smith has talent, but until I see him perform at the senior bowl I'm personally not ready to jump him into the top 10. To me he could make a big jump up like Chris Williams did last year or drop like Eric Winston did a couple of years ago. But note taken and maybe at this point in time Britton or monroe might be more probable later in the first.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

The reason I put Suggs and Gross as FAs that we could sign is because those are 2 guys that I think might hit the open market. IMO, there is no way the Fat Albert doesnt get franchised by the Titans. This also holds true for J-Pep and Asomugha.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

haynesworth cant be franchised. there is a clause in his contract that states that if he makes the probowl they cant franchise him. I agree that j-pep wont hit the market
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
haynesworth cant be franchised. there is a clause in his contract that states that if he makes the probowl they cant franchise him. I agree that j-pep wont hit the market
Ok cool, thanks for the clarification, then I'm on board for signing Haynesworth. IMO, that guy can make a Defense, just imagine him being coached by Spagnoulo and his attacking style D.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

we would have to pay a ridiculous amount of money but it would be amazing if somehow we could get him to sign with us. (miracles can happen)
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
Ok cool, thanks for the clarification, then I'm on board for signing Haynesworth. IMO, that guy can make a Defense, just imagine him being coached by Spagnoulo and his attacking style D.
i like that, i think maybe spagnuolo would only come here for a chance at hc, unless we get a good hc and we throw money at him to be DC
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

heres a scenario that i wonder how you would all feel about:

We re-sign DanO with the intention of allowing him to compete next year in camp with stanton and a veteran who we sign in FA. That veteran would be Byron Leftwich. SO at QB for next year we go into camp with Byron DanO and Stanton and hold an open competition for the starting job.

In the draft we go:
1a: Andre Smith (or best available OT)
1b: B.J. Raji
2: Brandon Spikes
3a. Trevor Canfield
3b: Domonique Jackson
4: Javon Ringer or James Davis
5a: safety
5b: WR
6: KR
7: who cares

we go into camp with a revamped Oline with Backus inside and an open competition for the other OG spot between the rookie Ramirez and whatever veterans we have.

Our Dline looks better with a true NT which will help redding a lot along with avril and white.

LB core of Dizon- Spikes- Sims

CB: Bodden- Jackson

Safety: competition between pearson alexander bullocks and smith.

I feel we would have a solid front seven yes i didnt address DE but DT is also a huge need and Raji will improve our overall Dline. Avril has room to improve and could be a special player and white is good for 6-7 sacks.

We have a two back system to help out Smith now. I feel Ringer and james davis are solid RBs but at that pick i would take BA.

Leftwich has looked good in Pit when he's played and i feel like with the line we would have and the protection he should have he could be a solid player with a good strong arm which is great with a weapon like CJ. We do need to work on our other WRs and that is why i used the 5th round pick on one.

Last edited by detroit4life : 12-29-2008 at 08:01 PM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you still want Smith at #1? I'm fine with him if we trade down a little bit.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

thats why i said the top OT at that time. If he is the top OT im fine with it but i could imagine Smith Oher or Monroe surpassing smith.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are thousands of permutations and all of them have merit.
We need a plan and then we need to stick to the plan. Mayhew is not the answer. I had hoped we could hire better.
However, if I'm running the team I am going to fix what I can fix and run from there. I don't believe we get anywhere near Haynesworth with Mayhew in charge. In fact, I would give up all hope but I can't stop following them, so all I have left is hope and precious little of that.
So, with that said I am hoping we get Karlos Dansby and Jason Brown in free agency. Anyone else would be gravy.
Then, I select QB Matt Stafford and DE Greg Hardy and LT Eben Britton.
In the third, we get the best players still available. If RB Rashad Jennings is there I grab him and MLB Scott McKillop I grab him. In the fifth and sixth I am looking for DL depth, OL depth, WR/KR types and maybe small school corners or DE prospects. I have little care who it is as long as we get return for a change.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Find Ford Sr.'s house
2. Insert copious amounts of C4
3. Flick switch
4. ???
5. Profit

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:59 AM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
1. Find Ford Sr.'s house
2. Insert copious amounts of C4
3. Flick switch
4. ???
5. Profit
freakin genius!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Ford to die.. I just want him to stop running the Lions. He's so clueless. Everything he has ever done has failed.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 AM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

ya, i sound evil saying i want him to die but it seems like the only way of becoming a better team
Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all honesty, we don't know if Mayhew is not the answer. But we just did some dumbass way of making him the GM.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Lionsfansince'87

I was ok with the thought of holding back on QB for a year until I watched Orlovsky in the GB game. I watched both QB's (Bradford and Stafford) closely and I believe Stafford has much more upside. Bradford showed his accuracy but his throws stayed in the air way too long and his pocket awareness was lacking, he could use at least another year in school. Stafford on the other hand impressed me alot, he has a huge arm we all know that, but the way he manipulated the pocket impressed me the most. His line did a horrible job, but when there was a pocket he stepped up into the pocket and delivered a strick on target, alot of his inconsistency came from not bein able to plant his feet on the majority of his throws IMO. One play stood out to me, it was a sack for like 2 yards, but the RT got beat on a speed rush and the defender came in behind Stafford, feeling the pressure behind him he started to scramble forward. He turned a 6-7 yard sack into a sack of 1-2 yards.

1. QB Stafford UGA
1b. MLB Spikes FL
2. OG Herman Johnson LSU
3. DT Terrance Taylor MICH
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsfansince'87 View Post
I was ok with the thought of holding back on QB for a year until I watched Orlovsky in the GB game. I watched both QB's (Bradford and Stafford) closely and I believe Stafford has much more upside. Bradford showed his accuracy but his throws stayed in the air way too long and his pocket awareness was lacking, he could use at least another year in school. Stafford on the other hand impressed me alot, he has a huge arm we all know that, but the way he manipulated the pocket impressed me the most. His line did a horrible job, but when there was a pocket he stepped up into the pocket and delivered a strick on target, alot of his inconsistency came from not bein able to plant his feet on the majority of his throws IMO. One play stood out to me, it was a sack for like 2 yards, but the RT got beat on a speed rush and the defender came in behind Stafford, feeling the pressure behind him he started to scramble forward. He turned a 6-7 yard sack into a sack of 1-2 yards.

1. QB Stafford UGA
1b. MLB Spikes FL
2. OG Herman Johnson LSU
3. DT Terrance Taylor MICH
Yeah, that Green Bay game shut a lot of people up about Orlovsky next year (myself included).