Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some interesting sutff on Sirius NFL Radio the other day. Movin' the Chains (hosted by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, easily the best show on Sirius IMO) had the lawyer for Pat and Kevin Williams on. According to him, there's about 4 months worth of evidence for the judge to go through, that the NFL wanted him to go through in about a weekm which wasn't going to happen. Obviously this is the lawyer for the players, so take anything he had to say with a grain of salt here. But I'll give you the general idea of what he said.

Basically, the league knew in 2006 that Starcaps contained a banned substance, and also that this banned substance was potentially very harmful to players. Two doctors for the league and a league lawyer were responsible for getting this information to the FDA, the NFLPA, and the teams. This failed to happen, which is why the Williams boys have also sued the two doctors and the lawyer.

He called the league saying that they told the teams and the NFLPA that it was a banned and harmful substance "an outright fiction." According to him, the league placed Starcaps on the "do not endorse" list, not the banned substances list. This meant that the players couldn't go on TV or in print or radio ads to endorse the product, not that they couldn't take the product. Basically trying to cover the league image by not having the players endorse a potentially harmful product, but not worrying about the players themselves. He also said they presented evidence to the judge showing that the FDA was never told of the harmful effects of Starcaps by the league either.

He further went on to say that in a deposition to the federal judge, an NFLPA rep said that the league never informed the NFLPA that Starcaps were harmful or contained a banned substance. This was a sworn statement under oath, I believe.

He then went on to point out that the league's "the player is responsible for what they put in their bodies" argument was somewhat ridiculous, as if Starcaps had contained cyanide, and the league sat on that info, and a player died, the league would/could say the same thing.

It was a very interesting interview. I'll see if I can find a transcript or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote