Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-03-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Trading to #3 for CJ?

Trading up with the Browns to get CJ??

I'm a Browns fan and someone posted in our discussion that the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that you guys wanted Calvin Johnson, and the scenario was Schaub and the 10th, and i think a 2008 first rounder, for our #3 assuming Johnson is there.

Have you guys heard about this and how strong of a possibility is it? Is that good value for Schaub? The future first rounder seems a little much to me from your guys position, I'd think your 2nd rounder this year would be enough.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

0.01 % chance of trading up for Calvin Johnson. I would say "absolutely not," but one cannot say with certainly something is a 100% lock to not happen.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually see something liek this:
ATL gets:
#3 overall (Calvin Johnson)
CLE gets:
#10 overall
QB Matt Schaub
conditional draft pick based on Schaub's games started. if 0-4 it's a first, 5-8 it's a 2nd, 8-14, a 3rd and if it's 15-16 a 4th.)

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
J-Dub

I think we should get calvin b/c think wut vick can do with a once in a generation wide reciver.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We don't need Calvin Johnson.. we don't need a WR in the first round and probably not the second either. We have much more pressing needs than getting a home grown player who is a natural freak. If anything the Falcons should be looking to trade down, not up. Honestly, if the Falcons do trade up for CJ the resemblance to a certain Detroit Lions team over the past few years goes through my head. Not all of our WR's are 1st round picks, but there are a good number of them. Just don't see it happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Just because you've used first round picks on receivers doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't use another one. If your receivers are still terrible, which they are, then you have to fix them. Frankly, not drafting CJ would be compounding your mistakes. Vick is a receiver like that away from doing special things for you guys. Justifying not taking CJ by saying you already have roddy white and michael jenkins does not work.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I didn't justify it by saying we have trash at WR. I compared the situation to Detroit's. Roy Williams is still one of the best WR's out there playing for a horrid team. CJ would be just like that, a great WR playing for a trash team. Most people love Vick but can't realize that he just isn't a great QB. He can make every play in the book when he has the chance, the only problem has been the offensive line. Hopefully with the new change to the line Vick can finally show his true talent at QB instead of at running around making people cry. CJ is not worth moving up 7 spots at all. The Falcons have to draft so much more now that they're changing from the ZBS to an actual line, they need depth now too. Trading down is the only reasonable thing to do. If they infact trade up for CJ and trade any picks that aren't their first this year, the Falcons will be doomed. Unless they can pull some major FA's it won't work for them. They need a lot of help now that they're switching to a NFL sized offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Trading down is the only reasonable thing to do. If they infact trade up for CJ and trade any picks that aren't their first this year, the Falcons will be doomed.
Couldn't agree more. This Calvin Johnson fantasies are driven by the heart, not the mind. It's the type of media, and homer fan, inspired delusions that I usually ignore. Just like the David Pollack, Greg Blue, propaganda from past drafts. Only this one just won't go away.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-03-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
I actually see something liek this:
ATL gets:
#3 overall (Calvin Johnson)
CLE gets:
#10 overall
QB Matt Schaub
conditional draft pick based on Schaub's games started. if 0-4 it's a first, 5-8 it's a 2nd, 8-14, a 3rd and if it's 15-16 a 4th.)

I think as a Browns fan I would do this trade. The conditional pick seems fair, but shouldnt be lower than a 3rd.

That way the Browns should draft Marshawn Lynch. And in a perfect world Alan Branch would still be there.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 AM    (permalink
flrybranch
Rookie

flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.

The Falcons need 2 new starters on the right side of our OL, depth at DE (with Abe it needs to be able to play right away), 1 starter and depth in the secondary, a power RB, an H-Back, and WR depth (I think Roddy and Jenks will do better in Petrino's off). I may have forgotten something here too.

We need all the top 100 picks we can get in the next two years. I have CJ21 dreams as often as anyone, but changing coaching staffs means we need "Quantity over Quality" right now.
flrybranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
mikevick7owns

i have to say no to trading up for CJ right now. i just dont think its realistic and i think it is too costly.

id much rather get landry, carriker or okoye, or maybe even gaines adams if he for some reason that i couldnt ever tell you falls to #10.

as flrybranch said, we need as many picks as we can get right now, and we have plenty of positions that need depth, and a few that need starters as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 PM    (permalink
GDawg239

Still, reciever is a need, esp with Lelie gone....

It might not be the #1 need, but if the browns offered this, we should think about it.

CJ is a once in a generation type talent. Putting him in the same breath as roddy white and jenkins is a joke. I dont care how many 1st round receivers we got, if they are no good, we have to consider it a sunk cost and move on....
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't even think about it boys......

You have way too many needs to ever consider trading up anyway.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Depends what we have to give up, if we lose 0 picks by moving up to get him I'm 100% for it, if all it costs us is maybe something next year. I think he would be amazing here in Atlanta, but I'm not going to hold out too much hope, if we can get and additional first rounder for Schaub, great, take the #10 and pick Landry then the next pick somewhere around 15-25 and pickup the top offensive line / defensive line talent that we see out there. Unless someone like Marshawn is there, then we'd have to consider him I think.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote