Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Top 5 End of The Year Rankings

we're at the point this year where its safe to start ranking units for the season now that we've had essentially an entire season to evaluate them. Post yours up. And to save this from turning into a name your favorite playerathon, no individual player rankings, strictly units. Rankings should be based on this year only, based on performance, not name association.

RBC:
1. Minnesota
2. Carolina
3. NYG
4. Tennessee
5. Atlanta

Oline:
1. NYG
2. Tennessee
3. Carolina
4. Minnesota
5. Denver

WR Core (TEs not included):
1. Arizona
2. New Orleans
3. Green Bay
4. Denver
5. Dallas

Dline (4-3):
1. Tennessee
2. Minnesota
3. NYG
4. Philadelphia
5. Baltimore

Dline (3-4):
1. New England
2. Pittsburgh
3. Arizona
4. NYJ
5. SD

LB core (4-3):
1. Carolina
2. Minnesota
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Tampa Bay

LB core (3-4):
1. Pittsburgh (by far)
2. NYJ
3. Dallas
4. Miami
5. SD

Secondary:
1. Washington
2. Tennessee
3. Tampa Bay
4. Baltimore
5. Philadelphia
Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is Green Bay not a top 5 secondary?
18 interceptions and 6 touchdowns.
That's the only problem I have with that list. Otherwise I agree.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
How is Green Bay not a top 5 secondary?
18 interceptions and 6 touchdowns.
That's the only problem I have with that list. Otherwise I agree.
Its not just about turnovers though. They give up too many yards, and the competition up top is too competitive for me to knock any of those 5 off of the list for GB.

I know the front 7's inadequacies are a large reason for their misfortunes, but like i said, im basing my rankings off of this year, so its hard to throw them in that list above any of the 5 i listed.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

most promising Secondary = KC! That secondary would be alot better if the qb didnt have 13 seconds to throw EVERY PASS PLAY!

:)

Nice list.

I could not imagine a defense with NE's front 3 and that Pitt LB core. It would be the best D ever
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Its not just about turnovers though. They give up too many yards, and the competition up top is too competitive for me to knock any of those 5 off of the list for GB.

I know the front 7's inadequacies are a large reason for their misfortunes, but like i said, im basing my rankings off of this year, so its hard to throw them in that list above any of the 5 i listed.
I see what your saying, we give up too many big plays but as you said its due to the front seven and the time the QB has. As long as you recognize that then I'm fine with the list.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
most promising Secondary = KC! That secondary would be alot better if the qb didnt have 13 seconds to throw EVERY PASS PLAY!

:)

Nice list.

I could not imagine a defense with NE's front 3 and that Pitt LB core. It would be the best D ever
Pittsburgh's D itself is in my opinion, the best defense we've seen since maybe the 2000 Ravens. Its that good.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I see what your saying, we give up too many big plays but as you said its due to the front seven and the time the QB has. As long as you recognize that then I'm fine with the list.
no doubt. they'd probably be 6 or 7 on a top 10 list based on this year. i think they rank similarly to the Giants secondary.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is NE's D-Line really that good this year?? They didn't do much against our horrible O-line and Justin Hartwig handled Wilfork pretty straight up by himself. I think Hampton is better than Wilfork. Aaron Smith is way better than whoever they have lined up at his spot. Seymour of course is better than Kirshcke. But I don't see how in the grand scheme of things they are better. Yes call me a homer. But we are #1 in every defensive category. And I believe we have the best defense since the 2000 Ravens and are mighty close to their level. Especially with Poly becoming such a ballhawk as of late.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
Is NE's D-Line really that good this year?? They didn't do much against our horrible O-line and Justin Hartwig handled Wilfork pretty straight up by himself. I think Hampton is better than Wilfork. Aaron Smith is way better than whoever they have lined up at his spot. Seymour of course is better than Kirshcke. But I don't see how in the grand scheme of things they are better. Yes call me a homer. But we are #1 in every defense category. And I believe we have the best defense since the 2000 Ravens and are mighty close to their level. Especially with Poly becoming such a ballhawk as of late.
id give NE the slight edge. I think Wilfork is equal to Hampton, but I like the Warren/Seymour duo over the Smith/Kirshcke duo collectively. Warren is one of the more underrated players in this league, he's a stud.

The reason why NE's defense is poor is bc their LB core and secondary are terrible. Their dline is the only reason why they have a somewhat respectable defense at all to begin with.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See I thought it was Green lined up opposite. I knew it was one of them. Can't knock your opinion. I think Aaron Smith is better than Seymour personally when it you take into account what they are asked to do. Smith does his job better than Seymour does his. Meh.

Still think we have the best defense since the 2000 Ravens. Love watching them work.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers pass defense is first in the league and not in the top 5?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

They will say because of our pass rush. :) I wasn't even gonna open up that one. haha

Old 12-11-2008, 09:49 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
See I thought it was Green lined up opposite. I knew it was one of them. Can't knock your opinion. I think Aaron Smith is better than Seymour personally when it you take into account what they are asked to do. Smith does his job better than Seymour does his. Meh.

Still think we have the best defense since the 2000 Ravens. Love watching them work.
You guys have a great D but the NE has Three studs up front and you guys only have two, while hampton and smith might be a little studlier than Wilfork and Seymour the difference isn't as big as Warren and Kritchke, add to that that NE actually has depth at DLine, unlike some of their other positions and I think they win it pretty comfortably. Dick LeBeau's an amazing co-ordinator though and your linebackers are studs.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They will say because of our pass rush. :) I wasn't even gonna open up that one. haha
Well even with our pass rush, Ike Taylor is playing at a Pro Bowl level and Troy is playing his best football in years.

*** is playing very well and Clark is showing no affects of his injury and is playing awesome football.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it is because of the pass rush..duh guys ;)
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Steelers pass defense is first in the league and not in the top 5?
you have to focus on the individual unit. Pittsburgh's front 7 is just ridiculous. and the ZB of LeBeau has to also be taken into account.

Its probably right outside of the top 5, but its not better than Washington, Tennessee, Philly, Baltimore, or Tampa collectively.

Put it this way, take any of those 5 secondaries and throw them in with Pitt's front 7. I guarantee you the defense would be even better than it already is.

The Giants played the Steelers and shown that if you can pick up the pass rush, you can move the ball effectively against that secondary. There wasn't a single time in that game where I felt the secondary made plays despite the pass rush. Thats why theyre not top 5.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Well even with our pass rush, Ike Taylor is playing at a Pro Bowl level and Troy is playing his best football in years.

*** is playing very well and Clark is showing no affects of his injury and is playing awesome football.
I agree with all of this. And McFadden is hopefully *fingers crossed* having a quiet season. And this is his best football we have seen. I just didn't want to sound like too much of a homer.

and to giantsfan. Chris Hoke backing up Hampton is the best back up NT in the league. he was our NT the entire 2004 season when we went 15-1. Eason is also a very viable backup behind Kirschke. Kirschke has actually missed a few games this year and we still fire on all cylinders.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
I agree with all of this. And McFadden is hopefully *fingers crossed* having a quiet season. And this is his best football we have seen. I just didn't want to sound like too much of a homer.

and to giantsfan. Chris Hoke backing up Hampton is the best back up NT in the league. he was our NT the entire 2004 season when we went 15-1. Eason is also a very viable backup behind Kirschke. Kirschke has actually missed a few games this year and we still fire on all cylinders.
you're right, I forgot about hoke, but I still think the patriots starters are better on a whole and their outside backups are better.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
you have to focus on the individual unit. Pittsburgh's front 7 is just ridiculous. and the ZB of LeBeau has to also be taken into account.

Its probably right outside of the top 5, but its not better than Washington, Tennessee, Philly, Baltimore, or Tampa collectively.

Put it this way, take any of those 5 secondaries and throw them in with Pitt's front 7. I guarantee you the defense would be even better than it already is.

The Giants played the Steelers and shown that if you can pick up the pass rush, you can move the ball effectively against that secondary. There wasn't a single time in that game where I felt the secondary made plays despite the pass rush. Thats why theyre not top 5.
I'm pretty sure yall couldn't move the ball on us except for one drive. Every other drive started in Steelers territory in front of the 40 yard line. And you were still behind the entire time before Harrison super sayianed the ball to next Christmas. I don't feel at all that yall moved the ball effectively that game. Yall held the pass rush in check, I will give you that, but yall didn't move the ball on us through the air all that well.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I'm pretty sure yall couldn't move the ball on us except for one drive. Every other drive started in Steelers territory in front of the 40 yard line. And you were still behind the entire time before Harrison super sayianed the ball to next Christmas. I don't feel at all that yall moved the ball effectively that game. Yall held the pass rush in check, I will give you that, but yall didn't move the ball on us through the air all that well.
i disagree. i felt we moved the ball well against that defense. we just got stuck at the 5 yard line every time and had to kick field goals.

yes we had short fields, but i can't hold that against the pass game, i can hold it against the pass game at the goalline though, Pitt did a great job stopping us routinely at around the 10 yard line.

that was also a game where you guys completely shut out our run game.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no ravens in that LB spot whats up with that (suggs scott lewis johnson)
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
no ravens in that LB spot whats up with that (suggs scott lewis johnson)
Suggs is a linemen, from the games ive seen Baltimore runs a lot more 4-3 than they do 3-4 so i considered them a 4-3 team.

Scott isn't all that.

Lewis and Johnson are great, but not good enough to knock off any of the top 5.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is minnesota LB ranked higher than Chicago :)

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
Why is minnesota LB ranked higher than Chicago :)
more depth.

I like Briggs better than any of the individual players in Minny's LB core, but their overall chemistry and depth and performance put them ahead of Chicago.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well Nick Roach is capable of starting and is sharing time with Hunter and Jamar Williams was supposed to start so i dont really see depth as a reason

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote