Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to think a 5-technique/DT might be a high pick possibility. Like has been mentioned Jones is probably gone and that leaves the team with Ngata/Canty/Williams/Tyson/Lewis-Moore. With Ngata's tendency to get hurt and ineffective adding another quality young talent to go with Williams would be nice. Right now it's looking like bodies aren't the only thing Baltimore needs up front. Outside of Jones nobody is really doing much.

For what it's worth I think Osemele is pretty much locked in to LG. They've probably learned their lesson in sliding a young lineman back and forth constantly after what happened with Oher. I thought it might be a possibility given how poorly Osemele was playing but after the news about his back issues surfaced it all made sense. Monroe will be re-signed. No doubt about that at all. Only thing preventing that is outrageous contract demands from his camp and I doubt it comes to that. RT and C are definite needs going forward. It doesn't look like there will be a first round C prospect in this draft but I hope Baltimore gets on of the top rated ones wherever that may be. I think they might try out Wagner or Reid at RT before investing a high draft pick in it but it wouldn't surprise me if one was taken in the first round given how many quality first round tackle prospects there are.

Ugh, there are too many positions of need that have high round possibilities.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont want a RT because look back like 5-6 years ago.

Gaither,Grubbs,Brown,Yanda,Oher all were real good players. Brown walked because we wanted to spend the $ else where so we had those 4 and Birk. The best oline in the league with 4 guys under 25. We couldnt afford to keep them all and they all left. This super bowl showed that we can get veterans all on the same page w/ each other and the QB and you will be fine. I hope Wagner works out so we can spend a top 20 pick on a skill position.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a different situation. Assuming Monroe gets an extension that would leave Baltimore with two guys on the offensive line who have substantial deals. Monroe's would probably run out around 2019 and Yanda's is done in 2016. Osemele is on a rookie contract which also runs out in 2016. If the Ravens take an offensive tackle high in the draft and give him a 5 year deal that would probably run out the same time as Monroe's extension. So basically when the (hopefully) quality young guys in Osemele and ____ rookie tackle need new contracts both Yanda and Monroe's deals will be running out and they either won't be brought back or will get a much smaller contract than they had before. I'd trust the front office to manage the contract situation better this time since it wouldn't be a matter of having all those young guys who would all need new deals. And if they don't budget enough to keep two quality lineman on one team then they're doing their job wrong plain and simple.

For what it's worth the front office was right in pretty much every decision they made regarding those players. Gaither proved to be injury prone and not worth keeping around (even though McKinnie was his replacement), Grubbs was overpaid in New Orleans and hasn't lived up to that contract, getting Birk on the cheap over Brown is obvious in hindsight, and Yanda is worth the extension they actually gave him. There hasn't been any decision made with Oher but unless he doesn't command much he won't be worth re-singing at market value either. Especially considering Monroe getting a new deal. Oher is just way too inconsistent and I hope he gets good money elsewhere.

The line needs to be fixed. Veterans on value deals probably aren't going to do it. Especially veteran tackles. Current and future contract concerns won't be a problem and I pray they get two quality players this offseason (likely the draft).
Old 11-21-2013, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good point in regards to the long term deals being more staggared then in 2009.

Still I just think in the top 20 we can find better value then a RT but we will see.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
prediction for breakout player?

Im thinking Arthur Jones. He has shown flashes. I will say Jimmy Smith but IDK if he will stay healthy.

Posted this a while back. I feel like a genius now lol
Old 11-27-2013, 04:53 AM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe we will add a veteran to either the RT or OC spot, but until we do, I have both positions adressed fairly high in my current mockdrafts. In the first round i currently hope for a Jake Matthews, Lewan, Scherff as they all can be that gritty roadgrader, which could help our rushing game back to form.

I agree with all those who believe, that we should get a target to help out flacco, but I just don't agree with it having to be a WR. We are very thin at TE, so I have my eyes set on Ebron or even better, drop in the 1. round af bit or pick up Austin Seferian in the 2. round. He is a guy who can both help with the blocking and in the passing game. He is a big target, who, if you watch film, makes many of those contested catches all outcomers says we need so hard after we traded Boldin.

I would rather invest in guys like Ebron, Seferian-Jenkins, who can both help out in the blocking game, instead of af WR like Evans, Lee or Matthews. They are intruiging, but when it comes to value, I would rather look at the tight ends. That would also allow us to flex out Pitta more.
Dan#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get Austin Seferian-Jenkins in round two, I will jizz myself.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yeah that would be a dream. Im hoping for Stephon Tuitt round 1 and ASJ round 2. I don't think we will get either though.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan#7 View Post
I believe we will add a veteran to either the RT or OC spot, but until we do, I have both positions adressed fairly high in my current mockdrafts. In the first round i currently hope for a Jake Matthews, Lewan, Scherff as they all can be that gritty roadgrader, which could help our rushing game back to form.
Eh, I don't really think the running game would get a big boost from adding a RT. Oher isn't the problem most of the time, it's the interior (Gradkowski usually) letting defenders knife through and hitting the RB in the hole or behind the LOS when they're doing an outside run. That's not to say I wouldn't want an OT high in the draft because I do (don't trust either Wagner or Reid, but the team might) but it's more because Oher is likely gone than anything else. It's too bad there's no elite center prospect this year.

Quote:
I agree with all those who believe, that we should get a target to help out flacco, but I just don't agree with it having to be a WR. We are very thin at TE, so I have my eyes set on Ebron or even better, drop in the 1. round af bit or pick up Austin Seferian in the 2. round. He is a guy who can both help with the blocking and in the passing game. He is a big target, who, if you watch film, makes many of those contested catches all outcomers says we need so hard after we traded Boldin.

I would rather invest in guys like Ebron, Seferian-Jenkins, who can both help out in the blocking game, instead of af WR like Evans, Lee or Matthews. They are intruiging, but when it comes to value, I would rather look at the tight ends. That would also allow us to flex out Pitta more.
I don't agree that drafting a TE high (first three rounds) in the draft is a better value move. If you look back over the past few years pretty much none of the guys taken in the first three rounds have lived up to their draft positions at all. Gronkowski and Graham are the lone exceptions with Jared Cook maybe fitting in there. I don't think the blocking aspect of a TE over a WR is all that important if the Ravens have Monroe and hopefully a quality rookie on the edges. They need a TE but I'm hoping and thinking it will come in the mid-rounds.

Baltimore needs that physically dominant target on the outside. That's where Boldin made those tough catches for them and where Flacco likes to throw it up to give his receivers a chance. I don't really care to split Pitta out as a receiver since he's a fairly proficient pass-catcher lining up in the traditional TE spot as it is and if his hip injury has affected his movement ability in any way at all that would limit his effectiveness in space.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I took some time to think about it, but I still disagree. We paid Flacco a bunch of money, and he proved he can be a great quarterback if he is given the right circumstances, not the perfect, but the right circumstances (both running and in passing situations). He doesn't have that atm and when Oher is likely gone next season, as you mentioned, it is even less likely the oline will improve with the current names on the roster. That's why I keep coming back to picking an oline high 1-2 round, and as there is no center rated that high, I think we should look at tackle.

At WR, there are some really intruiging options in the draft and some big targets which could give that physical presence on the outside, but imo we have some talent at WR and Flacco proved he can produce with those guys. Yes Jacoby Jones might be gone, but Mellette looked promising, and we could still go WR later in the draft. When I look at tight end, we have close to absolutely nothing. Clark is old and Dickson is too average in every sense of the word. Pitta is coming off a serious injury and Furstenburg/Bajema would be the last option. We could really need a very talented guy at that spot, and even though several teams have take a high flyer on late round guys, thats not really a chance im willing to take in our position.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I think we essentially agree about the offensive line. I'm just saying the running game isn't going to be fixed with a new offensive tackle. A new center and a healthy Osemele, now that's different.

What we're not on the same page about is TE. I don't think there's almost nothing at that position, not with Pitta likely re-signing. I'm not particularly worried about the quality of the 3rd TE but I do think Furstenburg would be fine with that role. If Baltimore didn't have Pitta going into the draft then that's probably the biggest need on the team no questions asked, but I can't see them in that position. I'm still of the mindset that they're going for a TE in the middle rounds.

The depth receivers are something I'm skeptical of too. Mellette was alright in the preseason but I don't think that's any kind of evaluation metric at all. Doss has looked decent this year too but I wouldn't want to trust him with a role that's any bigger than what he's had. Thompson looks to be all hype that was based on his speed. I like Brown quite a bit but I'd be willing to bet he'd be a lot more productive primarily playing in the slot. His playing style is better suited there. I'm not expecting Jones to be back. He should get more money elsewhere. I do like what Baltimore has overall at the position but to me they're clearly lacking another starting-caliber outside receiver.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

I like the things Benjamin does more than what Evans does, but only 1 year of production worries me a bit. Not a guy I would go for in the 1. round atm. and I doubt our front office does the same, as they value production more than anything else.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan#7 View Post
I like the things Benjamin does more than what Evans does, but only 1 year of production worries me a bit. Not a guy I would go for in the 1. round atm. and I doubt our front office does the same, as they value production more than anything else.
Yeah the front office really trends towards the more proven guys, especially in the early rounds. I mostly like what I've seen from Benjamin and he plays like his size indicates he should but I'm not considering him a likely option at this point. The more I think about it the more likely it seems that Baltimore is going to be content to wait past the first round for a WR. This could be a tremendously deep class depending on how many declare. I'd still welcome any of Watkins, Evans, Lee, etc. early but right now I think it might be more likely to see an OL or DL taken first. CB too maybe but that could be something where the team just signs a bargain veteran to fill the void. I'm praying for Dennard though.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Atm we are playing ourselves back into the 20's where we usually pick, so it would make sense to pick one of the elite linemen who always fall in favor of some more glamourous picks made by those front offices who doesn't care as much about wins and more about selling tickets.

I still have a huge crush on Seferian-Jenkins but based on his lack of production this year he could fall in the 2. round. An OT would make a lot of sense, and that is my preferable position to draft. I'd wish there was a center that could give us the Mangold/Mack guy in the middle, but Swanson seems too much of a reach right now. Given how Art Jones played himself out of Baltimore, we could pick up a dline, but I like Kapron as a wild card, and if Canty stays I would rather take a flyer on a talent later in the draft.

Dennard would make a great addition if Graham leaves, but so would a FS if Ihedigbo leaves as well. We just invested 2 first round picks on the secondary, so I have my doubts we will go that route again this year, as we already have Webb on a huge contract.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I don't see another starter on the team at DE with Arthur Jones leaving. Williams is better suited inside and relying on Lewis-Moore taking a lot of snaps is risky. Maybe Ngata moves back there but I think he's at NT to stay. Canty will be back without a doubt. The team isn't going to cut him and let Arthur Jones walk.

Baltimore should let Ihedigbo and Graham leave. Elam is obviously more suited for SS and the current Elam/Ihedigbo duo isn't working out too well. I don't think they take another safety high in the draft though. To me a veteran FS on a team-friendly contract is going to be the most likely option. Graham is just terrible. What they do at CB depends a lot on how the staff views Brown and Jackson. They've been high on brown in the past but he's barely gotten on the field this year even with Graham's struggles. Jackson is a huge wildcard but I bet he takes over some of the return duties if/when Jacoby Jones gets more money with another team. Like I said before a bargain veteran at CB might be more likely than them taking one with a premium pick. I'm just a huge homer for Dennard.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I would consider a OLB also.

I say this because Suggs is a potential cap casualty. If he isn't cut he is still 31 going to be 32 next year. Also Behind him and Doom McPhee isn't exactly producing and Upshaw will probably never be a consistent pass rusher.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

If Suggs is cut (which is extremely unlikely) I have no doubt that the team would be fine with starting Dumervil and Upshaw. McPhee comes in as the situational pass-rusher with Simon being Upshaw's main backup at SLB and Hamilton as the wildcard pass-rush candidate. McPhee isn't producing right now because he's not getting on the field. For some reason Pees doesn't rotate much in the front seven even though they have really good depth. I guess he's content with running the starters into the ground so they can give up big drives at the end of games. Anyways, I don't see OLB as any kind of priority for a couple of years..
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
I don't see another starter on the team at DE with Arthur Jones leaving. Williams is better suited inside and relying on Lewis-Moore taking a lot of snaps is risky. Maybe Ngata moves back there but I think he's at NT to stay. Canty will be back without a doubt. The team isn't going to cut him and let Arthur Jones walk.

Baltimore should let Ihedigbo and Graham leave. Elam is obviously more suited for SS and the current Elam/Ihedigbo duo isn't working out too well. I don't think they take another safety high in the draft though. To me a veteran FS on a team-friendly contract is going to be the most likely option. Graham is just terrible. What they do at CB depends a lot on how the staff views Brown and Jackson. They've been high on brown in the past but he's barely gotten on the field this year even with Graham's struggles. Jackson is a huge wildcard but I bet he takes over some of the return duties if/when Jacoby Jones gets more money with another team. Like I said before a bargain veteran at CB might be more likely than them taking one with a premium pick. I'm just a huge homer for Dennard.
If anything was proved in the Lions game other than Tucker being so awesome, that I would almost consider buying a jersey with a kickers number and name, it was how Elam has played out of position. It's clear he feels so much more comfortable as the strong safety, it would be stupid of us to force him to be an average free safety. Also, Ihedigbo has played his best season of football, but I am worried if he can to that consistently, plus he is to slow to play zone coverage.

Graham offers ST value, and we know Harbaugh likes those guys, so I could see him leave and stay and would be happy with both. I must admit I haven't watched a lot of cornerbacks yet, but there are some guys I like alot, who atm is slotted to go in the middle rounds.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

who are your favorite second round WRs? This draft is so ridiculously deep at WR I could see us going elsewhere round 1 and go WR round 2. I have them as Landry, Robinson, Brandin Cooks
Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 AM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
who are your favorite second round WRs? This draft is so ridiculously deep at WR I could see us going elsewhere round 1 and go WR round 2. I have them as Landry, Robinson, Brandin Cooks
People have been constantly critisizing us for letting a slow, physical wide receiver go, so it would be Robinson for me.

But to be honest, there are a lot of guys I like in the second round at both TE and WR. Jordan Matthews is another one I could see us take a look at.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Jordan Matthews would probably top my list for a potential second round pick at wide receiver. I don't think he makes it there though. Davante Adams and Allen Robinson would be really nice too.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Jordan Matthews would probably top my list for a potential second round pick at wide receiver. I don't think he makes it there though. Davante Adams and Allen Robinson would be really nice too.
You can wish for some more danish GM's. So far, Watkins, Lee, Evans and Benjamin are the only WRs off the board at Ravens pick. 19 OL/DL have gone off the board though :)

In all honesty, I could really see us waiting to grab a receiver later in the draft. Chargers picked Allen in the 3. round, and while we shouldn't necessarily just wait for a prospect to fall, it would seem realistic, if that is what we did.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Right now I think it all depends on what the team thinks of Ricky Wagner. If they believe he's a viable starter then they probably won't go with an offensive lineman in the first couple of rounds. Monroe will likely be re-signed, Osemele will be healthy, Yanda isn't going anywhere, and then there would be Wagner. All that's left is center and we all know Gradkowski is terrible but there aren't any real top center prospects this year that would likely be a good value at either of Baltimore's first two picks. This is probably the biggest question that we don't know the answer to in terms of what will affect who they target in the draft. If the Ravens don't believe offensive tackle is a need then that changes a lot about what we've been thinking. I'm not comfortable with Wagner starting at right tackle but who knows what the staff thinks.

If that's the case then I could see them taking a receiver in the first round pretty easily even though the class is deep. Especially if Mike Evans and/or Marqise Lee are there. Maybe Eric Ebron could be a possibility but I don't think so for reasons I've stated before. They could go with a DE, ILB, CB, or FS early on but I'm guessing they try and fill the defensive needs through free agency with guys who will be cut from other teams (their usual free agent signing approach). This will be an offensive-oriented draft. I have no doubts about that.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

I completely agree with this year being an offensive-oriented draft, or at least it should be. I like the idea of taking a player like Kyle Fuller, Calvin Pryor, Jalen Watkins for the FS spot, as there is no one in FA atm I think suit our needs. If the FO think that highly of Wagner for the RT spot, and maybe Jensen/Shipley for the OC spot, or moving Osemele to RT, then I can't see how we can pass on the best receiver, whoever will be highest on our board.

As of right now, I am looking more at players I like rather than what I think we will do in the draft. I would be really happy if we got van Noy, I believe that guy will be a playmaker in almost any scheme, Troy Niklas is intriguing and I like ASJ at the right spot as well.