Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there are any current free agent safeties that fit what Baltimore needs either but like I said the team usually targets guys who have been cut (to save their compensatory picks) anyways so I'm not particularly worried about that. If Baltimore did take a defensive back in the draft I hope that they target guys who have played safety and not a conversion project like Fuller. There aren't a lot of success stories for that in the NFL. Pryor is one of my favorites but it looks like he's getting first round hype right now so that might be a bit high for Baltimore since he probably wouldn't be rated higher than guys at other positions of need like receiver.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know I shouldn't be too excited about the so far performances in the senior bowl, but some of my favorite prospects are just doing really well. I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of drafting Zach Martin with the first pick, but that would likely mean we would have to slide Osemele back to RT, and I don't like the idea of making him switch position too much early in his career like we did with Oher.

Also, how about Jordan Matthews. He goes in and have way too many drops, shows some tenacity and bounces back - I love that. Him and Jarvis Landry are so far my favorite prospects at WR with the kombination of value in the second round.
Dan#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Martin could hold his own at offensive tackle in the NFL. The comparison to Justin Pugh is a popular one but I think it's really close. Even if he didn't work out there moving him to left guard isn't something I'd be really worried about. Osemele was a left tackle in college and was at least passable at both right tackle and left guard in his rookie season. It's probably just a case-by-case thing and it sounds like Martin is a pretty smart guy so I wouldn't be worried. Him going at 16 or 17 probably isn't likely though.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 favorites so far - not sure about rounds because they'll probably move a lot before the draft - but Jordan Matthews (WR - Vanderbilt), Seantrel Henderson (RT - Miami), and LaMarcus Joyner (CB - Florida State) << probably my favorite player in the draft.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First GM mock draft of the year are in the books. I had 4 original picks to work with as we didn't project compensatory picks. (4. 5. 7. round picks lost in trades with Jaguars and Colts - Monroe, Shipley)

It turned out like this:

1. round: Cyrus Kouandjio (OT)
2. round: Troy Niklas (TE)
3. round: Donte Moncrief (WR)
5. round: Jemea Thomas (DB)
6. round: Ty Zimmerman (FS)

I went into the draft with a thought that we would address the OC position via FA and resign Pitta and Monroe and Daryl Smith. I hoped to aquire extra picks via a trade with the 1. or 2. pick, but couldn't reach any deals, so I went with Quandjio in the 1. round as I thought the dropoff in talent at the position are greater than the one at WR. Not many WR went off the board though, so I picked up Niklas, which I am more comfortable with now after we got Kubiak as OC.

There where a couple of WR available with in the 3. round, but I chose to trade down and get a 5. round pick. Unfortunately Davante Adams where picked just in front of me, so the pick was Moncrief, who is not my favorite talent at the position, but is great value late in the 3. He is going to blow stuff up at the combine.

Jemea Thomas in the 5. I am really happy with. He has great range, power and delivers a pop when he hits. He is raw and played to many positions in college, but I hope he can be groomed to be a free safety. Until then he offers value on special teams and as a nickel/dime corner.

Ty Zimmerman was a safety blanket at the FS position, as I think he can be a solid, but not very talented option at the position who at least could compete for the spot with Levine, Miles or Trawick.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

No seventh round pick from Miami for the McKinnie trade? Odd.

Kouandjio is a good pick if the Ravens end up keeping Osemele at left guard. I'm really starting to think he gets kicked back to right tackle and they find a left guard and center that fits Kubiak's system though. Niklas is a pick I don't think is likely for the Ravens. He's far too unproven to be a higher pick for them based on their track record in the draft. As a prospect I don't mind Niklas but it's just not something I think will happen. Moncrief is a nice third round pick. I know I said I don't want a high round tight end and wide receiver but now that Kubiak is calling the plays I know he can and will use multiple tight ends productively/frequently so I wouldn't be upset with that scenario playing out. I'm not familiar with Thomas. Zimmerman is a solid safety pick that late. I think the Ravens sign a free agent to start next to Elam though so if you project Thomas to that position as well as Zimmerman in addition to the young guys Baltimore already has that might be a bit much.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

I believe the 7th pick for McKinnie is conditional, and that is why it was not included, although I'm not sure.

Niklas doesn't fit the bill of what we usually select, as his production doesn't really show. My "fear" was that a lynch or fiedorowitch wouldn't be available late in the 3. round, and mid 2. round would be too high based on potential.

Thomas is a jack of all trades atm so he could probably fit at both safety or corner. I believe he would be a very solid nickel as he is a great tackler and blitzer.

And I agree with the stuff you mentioned with the oline and free safety.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

http://russellstreetreport.com/altho...GqfIUY.twitter

Quote:
Russell Street Report has also learned from the same team source that the conditional draft pick due from the Miami Dolphins for the trade of OT Bryant McKinnie is actually a conditional pick in the 2015 draft. The stipulations of the conditional pick were not disclosed, but it would appear that McKinnie’s play in 2014 may also factor into which round that choice will ultimately fall in.
Ask and ye shall receive I guess. The article was just posted this morning.

McFarland also says that Jamison Hensley and a Ravens source expects that the Ravens will end up with four compensation picks so Ed Reed getting cut by Houston might not have affected anything. Or maybe it did, who knows. Like mentioned in the article there are intricacies of the compensation formula that could not have been applied yet that nobody knows about. For what it's worth I still expect two fourth round picks and fifth or sixth from the three guys we know will get Baltimore some compensation.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how do you guys rank our needs entering the draft? I have faith in Wagner and I want us to get an experienced ZBS veteran center in the draft. If we address C in FA does anyone else think we could end up going more defense then offense this draft?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

No. They're going to do everything in their power to re-build the offense. Especially since there's a new offense being implemented. I expect center to be addressed in free agency since I doubt the team is willing to give up on Gradkowski at this point and they supposedly like Jensen a lot as well (Shipley is still on the roster too) but the biggest reason being a lackluster draft class at center. At this point I've almost convinced myself that Osemele will be moved back out to right tackle and a left guard that fits Kubiak's scheme will be brought in. Osemele might be able to pull it off but he doesn't seem to fit the physical profile of interior offensive lineman that Kubiak has had in the past. I fully expect the front office to tailor the roster to fit what Kubkiak wants.

There are some needs on defense it but I can't see how this won't be an offensive-heavy draft. Especially after how defensive-oriented Baltimore's draft was last season.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah with 9 picks it would be hard to go more defense then offense. I just want us to get a CB(I think Graham is gone) and a dlineman that can come in on passing downs to replace Arthur Jones (Im not sold on kapron lewis moore, his last 2 seasons ended with knee injuries). Along with the obvious a free safety.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking they spend a fair amount of picks on the offense as well. Its not that we won't take defensive players or we won't take them early, but the offense has some considerable needs depending on who we can keep. We need 1-3 OL depending, 1-2 WRs, and a TE as a starter or a back up. Some of that will be filled in with FA vets as well though.

I think Kubiak will evaluate who can fit what he does and address it from there. If Ozzie is smart he will work with Kubiak to get the players he needs for this offense instead of forcing pieces that don't fit into it. Kubiak is a long standing good offensive coach so I hope they work with him to make this offense work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
yeah with 9 picks it would be hard to go more defense then offense. I just want us to get a CB(I think Graham is gone) and a dlineman that can come in on passing downs to replace Arthur Jones (Im not sold on kapron lewis moore, his last 2 seasons ended with knee injuries). Along with the obvious a free safety.
I actually think there might be just as many positional needs on the defense as there is on offense. In my opinion free safety, cornerback, inside linebacker, and defensive end all need a starter or a quality rotational player. On offense you have wide receiver, tight end, center, and left guard or right tackle. All of those needs can be filled with one player per position, so it is nice that the overall team depth isn't a problem but that's still a lot of talent to be filled. Like I said I fully expect the offense to get the most attention though. It absolutely has to be fixed/overhauled/whatever or this team won't be going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I'm thinking they spend a fair amount of picks on the offense as well. Its not that we won't take defensive players or we won't take them early, but the offense has some considerable needs depending on who we can keep. We need 1-3 OL depending, 1-2 WRs, and a TE as a starter or a back up. Some of that will be filled in with FA vets as well though.

I think Kubiak will evaluate who can fit what he does and address it from there. If Ozzie is smart he will work with Kubiak to get the players he needs for this offense instead of forcing pieces that don't fit into it. Kubiak is a long standing good offensive coach so I hope they work with him to make this offense work.
I have no doubt that one of Monroe or Oher will be back. There's no chance that the team lets both of them walk. Honestly I have a hard time seeing Monroe not being re-signed and the only way I think he isn't is if his contract demands are outrageous but I doubt that will be the case. The extra 3-4 million per year that it will probably cost to keep Monroe over Oher is definitely worth it. I actually hope that Oher isn't brought back regardless of his price. He's not a quality starter at this point.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I wonder how Kubiak feels on Furstenburg. Furstenburg is that smaller quick TE that Kubiak loves along with Pitta. He has also been known to turn no name TE along w/ olineman into contributors. It will be real interesting to see how he feels about the current roster. I personally think a C is our #1 FA need besides re-signing guys because I think we need a guy who knows what he is doing in the ZBS.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

What I hope we do: Resign Pitta, resign Monroe, resign Daryl Smith, restructure Suggs and maybe some other profiles. Say goodbye to some of the coaches favorites in Graham, Leach, McClain.

Get an OC and FS in free agency and get quality upgrades at TE, WR and OT, and grab some development players for our secondary and dline.

Atm. I don't want to bet too much on players like Furstenburg, Wagner, Asa Jackson, Thompson/Doss/Brown, KLM to be starters, but I like them as depth players and development guys.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I personally think a C is our #1 FA need besides re-signing guys because I think we need a guy who knows what he is doing in the ZBS.
Great point. Even a decent vet would be good to add if he knows this system. I'm not sure drafting a new C would be wise because he still would have to come in a do a bunch of learning. Losing Birk from a mental standpoint was something I didn't even consider going into last year but the lack of leadership and knowledge in the OL showed.

We need Monroe back. I assume Pitta gets signed soon so we can save the tag for Monroe if needed. Oher is as good as gone unless his market is really crappy. He isn't a LT but some team still my want to give him a shot again. I want him back but it needs to be a decent deal for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Anyone else feel like a kid in a candy store scouting out these WR? It is such a deep class. If we can't get lee and 16 I hope we trade back and get OBJ.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
The extra 3-4 million per year that it will probably cost to keep Monroe over Oher is definitely worth it. I actually hope that Oher isn't brought back regardless of his price. He's not a quality starter at this point.
What happened to Oher? I remember when he was drafted he was considered to be the better of what was a quality duo of offensive tackles in Baltimore.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone else feel like a kid in a candy store scouting out these WR? It is such a deep class. If we can't get lee and 16 I hope we trade back and get OBJ.
Lee will be in the division. Just in Pittsburgh. :)
Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
What happened to Oher? I remember when he was drafted he was considered to be the better of what was a quality duo of offensive tackles in Baltimore.
Flip flopped a bunch between LT and RT. This year I assume he hated Castillo like reports are a lot of olineman did and he did injure his ankle week 1 maybe that lingered.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Lee will be in the division. Just in Pittsburgh. :)
I kinda hope we trade back for Beckham and grab mid round picks just because there are so many juniors this year and in the mid rounds u can get a guy who would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder if they stayed in school. The ravens scouting director was talking about that. I hope we do trade back and draft raw guys and develop them
Old 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Like Ravens1991 mentioned he has switched from RT to LT almost every season so that doesn't help but he really fell off a cliff after his rookie year in terms of play quality. He's been average at best ever since even when going back to RT. This past season he started off pretty well but then was pretty bad after the first 5 or so games. I don't think his relationship with Castillo had anything to do with it either, he's just not a good or consistent player.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Pre combine mock:

Just for the fun of it before the Scouting Combine ruins the player ranking altogether. I went with a conservative bid on our compensatory picks (4. Kruger, 5. Ellerbe, 6. Williams, 7. Reed)

I assume we will resign Monroe, Pitta, Daryl Smith

Players are chosen based on the ranking from this board
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

1. round: Zach Martin (OC/OG)

1. round is all about getting value, and even if Ebron, Lee, Evans, Benjamin and whatever the names are on all these interesting receivers, I choose Martin who offers flexibility on the offensive line where we need a lot of help. Martin will from day 1 be able to contribute at either LG or RT depending on where we place Osemele

2. round: Jordan Matthews (WR)

Matthews is all you want from a draft prospect when it comes to profesionalism. The downside is the lack of upside and explosiveness, but the ability to play both inside and outside adds greatly to the skills our current wide receivers posses.

3. round: C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE)

C.J. will be our allround TE who allows us to flex Pitta to the slot. C.J. can block, catch the ball on the short routes, be a big target down the seam and a valuable red zone threat.

4. round (comp) Kenny Ladler (FS)

We already made contact with Ladler at the Senior Bowl, and he fits the role as a free safety roaming the backfield while allowing Elam to play the strong safety spot. At worst, Ladler can be a valuable addition to special teams.

5. runde (comp) Tyler Larsen (OC)

Larsen is not my favorite prospect, but I find it hard to see us come out of the draft without a battle tested center who can add some competition ind training camp.

6. runde: Jemea Thomas (S/CB)

I WANT THIS GUY, Thomas is a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none, and that makes him fall in the draft, but everytime I see him play, I see a football player! Impressive speed once he diagnose the play and he delivers a pop on impact when he tackles. Unselfish player who can contribute on special teams from day 1 and hopefully develop into a valuable depth player in our secondary at both cornerback and free safety.

6. round (comp) Aaron Colvin (CB)

Colvin was so unlucky tearing his ACL at the Senior Bowl. Prior to the injury he was acknowledged as a possible pick in the 2-3 round. He will have to redshirt the first year in the NFL, but we’ve proven before that we are willing to pick players who can’t tribute immediately.

7. round (comp) Elhadji Ndiaye (DE)

6'5, 255 lbs and athletic, unproven and raw as hell. This years poor man’s Ziggy Ansah but worth a flyer late in the draft.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I like it except for Martin. Id rather take Ebron or Lee there. Maybe even Bexkham Jr
Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Completely agree. I've spend the last couple of days looking at tape of the WRs, and there are sooo many I would like us to pick. I understand your love for OBJ, personally I would prefer if we could get my beloved Donte Moncrief in the second round, I think he'll be a stud. But as long as we trade out of the Top 20, I wouldnt mind OBJ one bit.

Also, are you guys worried about whether or not we let Pitta walk? Been seeing some stories about the negotiation beeing pretty far apart at this point in time, and we all know that Ozzie is ice cold when it come to which price he is willing to pay for a certain player. Just a thought.