Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default How long would Favre have to play before he could be called G.O.AT.?

So Favre has played 17 and 3/4 seasons in the NFL, starting 270 games, winning at a very high rate, winning a Super Bowl, breaking a ton of passing records BUT not always playing well in the playoffs and has had a few bad seasons. Most people would say he doesn't belong in the debate with guys like Montana, Elway and Unitas for best QB ever. What if he plays another year or 2 or 3 at a high level? Would sheer longevity give him an argument as the GOAT? Much the same way Emmitt Smith's longevity puts him in the conversation with Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton for Best RB ever.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think him playing longer would do anything to solve that debate, unless his future seasons would be magnificent.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:50 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
So Favre has played 17 and 3/4 seasons in the NFL, starting 270 games, winning at a very high rate, winning a Super Bowl, breaking a ton of passing records BUT not always playing well in the playoffs and has had a few bad seasons. Most people would say he doesn't belong in the debate with guys like Montana, Elway and Unitas for best QB ever. What if he plays another year or 2 or 3 at a high level? Would sheer longevity give him an argument as the GOAT? Much the same way Emmitt Smith's longevity puts him in the conversation with Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton for Best RB ever.
It's not how much longer really, it's the quality of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will have to use a quote from the Dark Knight here. "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian." In this case he plays long enough especially in New York.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
When did Emmitt Smith get into the conversation of best RB ever?
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stop making threads.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Being the GOAT is not about longevity
Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is not near the top of my list when considering quarterbacks I want to lead my team with a few minutes left. So I doubt he ever even enters my top five.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Issue is, it's really hard to cross era lines.

The game started in the 1890's with the Ohio league.....

Then you have the merger in 1966...

the 70's brought Dynasties... And rules to encourage more scoring, passing and a more fast paced game..

the 80's started bringing in more specialization...

the 90's brought yet more specialization, more "Schemes" and most notably FA.

it's hard to compare players across era's.

so many variables.

I think there is never going to be a GOAT... because it's too debatable and again variables. But I think he will be considered one of the best ever at the position. Along with Montana, Marino, Unitas, Starr, Kosar, etc.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any quarterback who has thrown the most interceptions in NFL history should never be considered the greatest quarterback ever. He is still a terrific quarterback, probably top 10. He has the most touchdowns and wins, but the interceptions and not so good postseason success ruins it for me.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
Any quarterback who has thrown the most interceptions in NFL history should never be considered the greatest quarterback ever. He is still a terrific quarterback, probably top 10. He has the most touchdowns and wins, but the interceptions and not so good postseason success ruins it for me.
But...But...

He's a gunslinger!
skinzzfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
I don't think him playing longer would do anything to solve that debate, unless his future seasons would be magnificent.
Agreed. I don't think he can do anything to make himself the GOAT. The longer he plays, the more he hurts his reputation.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He already holds all the records. I don't think having them by a larger margin would change anyone's mind. Unless he wins another Super Bowl I don't think anything he does will change anyone's mind one way or another.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

If anything favre playing as long as he has has prevented him from every being called the GOAT since his final 5 seasons will be fresher on everyone's memory than the dominant stretch before then where he was truly great. Now he's just an old man trying to be the guy he used to be and I can't see him doing anything to positively impact his legacy. If Favre wanted to be the GOAT he would've retired back around 2004 when he was still one of the elite QBs in the league.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
He is not near the top of my list when considering quarterbacks I want to lead my team with a few minutes left. So I doubt he ever even enters my top five.
He does have the second most 4th quarter comebacks in history. Only John Elway has more.
Quote:
I wouldn't put him #1 either, but that's just stupid. Of quarterbacks that have at least 200 TDs (26 of them) only Steve Young, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Steve Young have a better TD to INT ratio than Favre.

My calculated percentages in order by most TDs:

Favre 66%
Marino 60%
Tarkenton 77%
Manning 50%
Elway - 75%
Moon - 80%
Unitas - 87%
Testaverde - 97%
Montana - 50%
Krieg - 76%
Jugenson - 74%
Fouts - 95%
Bledsoe - 82%
Esiason - 74%
Hadl - 109%
Tittle - 102%
Dawson - 76%
Kelly - 74%
Blanda - 117%
Young - 46%
Brodie - 105%
Bradshaw - 99%
Hart - 118%
Cunningham - 65%
Everett - 86%
Gabriel - 84%
Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

first, dont ever mention emmitt smith being in the same league as jim brown or barry sanders or that g.d. bear, walter payton. he is no where near their level. he was a solid back that played on a great team which helped him and his stats.

second, favre can play for ten more years and it wont matter. he holds the record for most interceptions, he takes too many chances. is he a damn good qb? yes. one of the better ones to come along? yes. will he ever belong in the upper echelon(sp?)? no.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
when he broke the career rushing recordzzzzzz, how could he do it other than being GOAT 2LW championship?
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Once he can take a hit instead of laying down to give Michael Strahan the sack record.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
But...But...

He's a gunslinger!
oh man, this had me laughing for a minute or two. instant classic

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I will have to use a quote from the Dark Knight here. "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian." In this case he plays long enough especially in New York.
Strangely relevant?

He shouldn't ever be considered the best of all time.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's one of the GOAT.

Really. Anything else is ridiculous. I don't care about his interception totals. Over enough passes (which he has thrown), he'll eventually surpass anything. He has more attempts, more TD's, more interceptions, more games won. Sure he's not the surgical precision of Manning, but he's the better competitor (sans the strahan-laydown), he's who I'd look to to lead a huddle in the 4th quarter, how he can will magic to happen. As a bears fan, I feared for my life facing him with a slim lead in the 4th quarter (or even a large lead, it didn't matter). Brett Favre. One of the most dangerous quarterbacks ever to play the game.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's also thrown the most TD's, won the most games, thrown for the most yards, etc, etc, etc. The reality is only 303 of his 9179 pass attempts have been intercepted. That's 3.3% of the passes he's thrown. The anti Farve agenda of trying to focus on his INT's and ignore all the other stats doesn't really hold water. Almost 5% of Johnny Unitas's passes were intercepted. Elway was intercepted 3.1% of the time.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
When he retired with 18,255 rushing yards, 3,224 receiving yards, 175 TD's, 3 Super Bowl rings, and an MVP trophy. It's not even debateable that he's in the argument of GOAT.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Agreed. I don't think he can do anything to make himself the GOAT. The longer he plays, the more he hurts his reputation.
Hurts his reputation in the eyes of who? Whiners that just hate him for being loved by the media? So what.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
When he retired with 18,255 rushing yards, 3,224 receiving yards, 175 TD's, 3 Super Bowl rings, and an MVP trophy. It's not even debateable that he's in the argument of GOAT.
Throw all the stats you want out...I watched Emmitt Smith play football....he isn't in the GOAT conversation.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote