Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a cycle. When the league becomes more pass oriented then the defenses get better against the pass, which means they become more vulnerable against the run. Then everyone starts going to the run and etc.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The truth is RBs right now come at a cheaper rate then WRs and can be replaced ever 4 or 5 years, guys like Randy Moss, Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald come every half a decade and most lieky will cost you a 1st rounder, runningbacks can be found in any round and with a good line will perform just as well as the top 10 picks. The NFL is a buisness and in the end running backs are much easier to replace then a good QB or WR

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The Giants are a run first team, Tennessee is also along with Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Minnesota, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville and Oakland. Are team moving away from the passing game in favour of the run and will RB's be in ever more demand. Has the passing attack run its course?
I, for one think it has. The days of 50 passing TD's is over and New Orleans who leads the league in passing won't make the playoffs. Have DC's become so good at defending the pass that their defenses are perhaps vulnerable against the run and OC's are beginning to take advantage of it.
The Cover 2 defense which has spread around the league is designed for the modern passing attacks, has it seen it day come and go?
What say you all???
I say you're extremely overreacting to a down year for passing. 5 of the last 8 and 4 of the last 6 seasons have ended with the leader in TD passes having 33 or less, and it's looking like this year is going to follow that trend. New Orleans isn't going to make the playoffs because Drew Brees, as much as I am a fan of the guy, throws too many INTs at inopportune times for his team, like at Tampa a couple of weeks ago, not because they favor a passing attack. Also, if you think the Tampa 2 defense has "run its course", explain how the Colts are on the verge of tying or setting a modern record for TD passes allowed, are 7th in points allowed per game, and have allowed more scores to opposing defenses (5) than they have to opposing QBs (4).

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Giants are a run first team, Tennessee is also along with Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Minnesota, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville and Oakland. Are team moving away from the passing game in favour of the run and will RB's be in ever more demand. Has the passing attack run its course?
I, for one think it has. The days of 50 passing TD's is over and New Orleans who leads the league in passing won't make the playoffs. Have DC's become so good at defending the pass that their defenses are perhaps vulnerable against the run and OC's are beginning to take advantage of it.
The Cover 2 defense which has spread around the league is designed for the modern passing attacks, has it seen it day come and go?
What say you all???
For future reference the redskins are actually a pass first team
Old 12-14-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

It will always be a pass first league because you win in the NFL passing but you run to sustain leads.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I dont think Bruce Arians has heard of a three step drop.
He only knows of the back 7, forward and left 4, and to the right 6, step drop.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
What say you all???
One of the funniest things to me is how much people hate on dual threat QBs and trends like the Wildcat when not only is running the football how the game of football was played in it's inception (and the reason why a Quarterback is not called a Passingback), but how about the amazing stat that a quarterback that has led the league in passing has NEVER won the Super Bowl that year

A defense and a running game can take you far in this league. Yet the funny thing is the Quarterback gets all the credit when those things are in place. Just look at how much people are talking about Flacco and Ryan and ignoring those two more important elements for their success
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpigskin View Post
i was thinking about this, and i see another way to look at this
we have seen an age where "Defense wins championships" many of those defenses were hard-nosed physical defenses. Why did these teams have physical defenses? because that was the philosophy of the teams. That physical philosophy equaled a similar approach on offense which means running the ball. As we see more teams realizing that these physical defenses wins championships, we will see more team going for a more physical team... which means running the football
And on the flip side, it's the D and running game that is lacking on the worst teams in the league.

Just look at the Lions. It's not that their QB is the worst in the NFL. It's their rushing attack and defense that ranks the lowest among other teams in the league.

Same with Miami. It's not that Chad Pennington is the greatest thing in the world. It's their running game and defense that was ranked near the bottom of the league last year that are both ranked near the top.

I've never heard of a sucky team that had a solid running game and defense. I mean your QB would have to be really, really, really bad. Basically a turnover machine for you to be one of the worst teams in the league with those two attributes. And shame on the coach for putting the ball in his hands if that is the case.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
One of the funniest things to me is how much people hate on dual threat QBs and trends like the Wildcat when not only is running the football how the game of football was played in it's inception (and the reason why a Quarterback is not called a Passingback), but how about the amazing stat that a quarterback that has led the league in passing has NEVER won the Super Bowl that year

A defense and a running game can take you far in this league. Yet the funny thing is the Quarterback gets all the credit when those things are in place. Just look at how much people are talking about Flacco and Ryan and ignoring those two more important elements for their success
That is because efficient passing beats volume passing everytime.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
And on the flip side, it's the D and running game that is lacking on the worst teams in the league.

Just look at the Lions. It's not that their QB is the worst in the NFL. It's their rushing attack and defense that ranks the lowest among other teams in the league.

Same with Miami. It's not that Chad Pennington is the greatest thing in the world. It's their running game and defense that was ranked near the bottom of the league last year that are both ranked near the top.

I've never heard of a sucky team that had a solid running game and defense. I mean your QB would have to be really, really, really bad. Basically a turnover machine for you to be one of the worst teams in the league with those two attributes. And shame on the coach for putting the ball in his hands if that is the case.
That is why Chad Pennington is 4th in QB rating. He has been carrying hte team ever since people have figured out their wildcat.