Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't like Vontae Davis for us. Getting an absolutely elite talent at corner would be nice, but the problem is that Davis just doesn't have the work ethic to match the talent. He got beat by guys that had absolutely no business beating him this year. It's an interesting thought having a guy that talented here, but I would rather have us pass.

The rest is nice. Love the fact we get Bruton and Meridith. Love the Jennings pick, as we need someone to step up and be the guy in the running game and he fits out scheme very well. Getting Barnes is awesome too. LOVE the Antonio Appleby pick as well. He's a thumper that could compliment Mayo nicely.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I wanted us to take Meriweather so badly that year. I liked Michael Griffin and I thought Eric Weddle could be a decent pickup due to his versatility. but I really wanted Meriweather. I went nuts when they announced the selection, I couldn't believe it. He had some problems at Miami but has been a model citizen for us and is really developing into a hell of a player.
Yea my favourite three players in that draft where Michael, Griffen, Merriweather and Aaron Ross. Im glad we took Merriweather but gladly would have accepted either the other two if they were available.

As for the mock draft there, there are some nice picks but none addressing IMO the biggest need-OLB to rush the passer. Also the longer time goes the more I like Mike Mickens with either of the 2nds.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meriweather was a surprise to some, but BB worked him out personally prior to the draft, and that is usually a sign that there is strong consideration in the organization to draft him. This will be a very interesting draft as it is the first without Pioli....this is a monumental draft in the development and progression of this franchise
Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Cronin
Rookie

Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cronin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not bad picks at, but I guy I hope we pick up somewhere (3rd maybe?) is Jasper Brinkley from South Carolina :)
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i do like brinkley as well, i think he is vastly underrated

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he seems like he'd be a great thumper at ILB
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Bradyjackson12
Rookie

Bradyjackson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brinkley might be a good fit but I thought that Appleby was a good pick because he played at MLB in college in a 3-4.
Bradyjackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Bradyjackson12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Yea my favourite three players in that draft where Michael, Griffen, Merriweather and Aaron Ross. Im glad we took Merriweather but gladly would have accepted either the other two if they were available.

As for the mock draft there, there are some nice picks but none addressing IMO the biggest need-OLB to rush the passer. Also the longer time goes the more I like Mike Mickens with either of the 2nds.
I simply don't see how you can consider OLB as our biggest need.
Vrabel played with an injury to his shoulder all year
Thomas was on IR but I admit he was not dominant before his injuries still he frequently put pressure early in the year.
Crable was on IR but he was showing a lot of promise during the pre-season.
Redd is an interesting projects who needed and still need development but he could really be a stud in that role. But he showed potential late in the year when he played.
Woods was showing good thins before he too was put on IR

Yeah I can accept that we could take an OLB during the draft but it is far far from our biggest need. The main reason why our defense was disappointing this year was the bad play of our DB. Hobbs and O'Neal are in the top 3 for TD passes concedes and we saw all year those 3rd and long being converted. (Jets game...)
Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Bradyjackson12
Rookie

If there are people who are interested in making their own mock draft for the Patriots, it would be interesting to discuss them in this thread. Also what do you think will happens with Math Cassel. I think he will get tag and then trade but still we don't know what is the health of Brady. Considering what the Chiefs received for Allen last year, I think that a first and a second or a first, a third and a late pick would be a good trade for us.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my ideal patriots draft:

1. Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State
2. Patrick Chung S Oregon
2. Mike Mickens CB Cincy
3. Alex Boone OT Ohio State (if still available, which i doubt)

Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyjackson12 View Post
I simply don't see how you can consider OLB as our biggest need.
Vrabel played with an injury to his shoulder all year
Thomas was on IR but I admit he was not dominant before his injuries still he frequently put pressure early in the year.
Crable was on IR but he was showing a lot of promise during the pre-season.
Redd is an interesting projects who needed and still need development but he could really be a stud in that role. But he showed potential late in the year when he played.
Woods was showing good thins before he too was put on IR

Yeah I can accept that we could take an OLB during the draft but it is far far from our biggest need. The main reason why our defense was disappointing this year was the bad play of our DB. Hobbs and O'Neal are in the top 3 for TD passes concedes and we saw all year those 3rd and long being converted. (Jets game...)
Because Mike Vrabel will be 34 on opening day, AD will be 32 and if either one goes down again your left with Crable or Redd as a starter. I like Crable quite a lot and Redd come come good but I wouldn't be too confident with either starting all season yet. We had no pass rush at all last year and a pass rush helps out a corner. Besides Wheatley and Wilhite will have an extra year under them and they both have potential. Unless Vontae Davis slips or Alphonso Smith really has a good senior bowl/combine then I wouldn't touch a corner in the first. Not when we could take either Mike Mickens or Coyie Francies with either of our 2nd round picks.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Because Mike Vrabel will be 34 on opening day, AD will be 32 and if either one goes down again your left with Crable or Redd as a starter. I like Crable quite a lot and Redd come come good but I wouldn't be too confident with either starting all season yet. We had no pass rush at all last year and a pass rush helps out a corner. Besides Wheatley and Wilhite will have an extra year under them and they both have potential. Unless Vontae Davis slips or Alphonso Smith really has a good senior bowl/combine then I wouldn't touch a corner in the first. Not when we could take either Mike Mickens or Coyie Francies with either of our 2nd round picks.
For the most part i agree, but we could definitely use more help at corner. Hobbs, Wheatley, and Wilhite are not enough corners to have an impact. Could we use youth at LB, oh definitely, and I personally really like Sintim, and kind of like Maybin although he is very small and raw for OLB. If Alphonso Smith, or maybe DJ Moore, aren't there at the pick, then I would be ecstatic if the patriots took Sintim or Maybin, but I feel that Smith is too good a fit and a need to pass up. With the way our DB's get hurt year after year, we need a solid platoon, nevermind the fact that more and more teams are using 3 wr sets as their base offense. Personally, I would really like for a safety to be brought in, although I'm not sure Moore is the best fit, or that he will fall to us in a very weak safety class (at least at the top).

Looking at last years draft, as well as the current state of the team, I could see BB and company going OL or DL in the first. They seem to always draft along the front before it really beomes a need. Wilfork and Seymour have contracts ending soon, as do Mankins (if we dont re-sign him i will flip out), Neal, and Kazcur, and Light i believe. A guy like Tyson Jackson could be snared with our first 2nd to add valuable depth and a potential replacement for Seymour (I would hate to see him leave). With the crazy depth for OL in this draft, it wouldn't surprise me if someone fell into our laps that the coaching staff fell in love with. The unexpected have come to be the expected with patriots drafts.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Drafting Trevor Canfield or best available OG

Why? Because Mankins, Kaczur, Hobbs, Wilfork, and Seymour are all FA's next year.

Of the big 3 - Seymour, Wilfork, and Mankins - Mankins is the easiest to replace. Seymour type players come around once every 10 years. Wilfork is a rare NT who would not be easily replaced and MUST be re-signed. Mankins is a Top 5-10 LG in the league. But really, good Guards are a dime a dozen. Mankins is still on his rookie contract and will be looking for a huge raise, ie. Steve Hutchinson/Alan Faneca type money?? We simply can't afford to keep him with our defense seemingly in it's rebuilding stages - wilfork and seymour take priority over Mankins.

BB being the genius he is, addresses this issue a year early, drafting Canfield or the next best OG available to play RG in 2009, and then take over for Mankins at LG in 2010.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

you bite your tongue...the only difference is that seymour is much older than mankins is. I dunno how much it would cost for mankins, hopefully he would take a discount to stay in NE (oh god i hope so)
Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the premise that guys like seymour come around once every 10 years. My problem is how many years has he BEEN here ? He may not have many (if any) "impact" seasons left in him. You may be resigning a guy on the back end of his career to a contract that handcuffs you going forward. BB is not known for making those kinds of mistakes. I trust BB is looking at all the points you listed, such as money available, and who is most easily replaced.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Seymour should have atleast 3 good seasons in him. Dline tend to last well into their 30's. Look at Jamal Williams in San Diego and the Williams in Minnesota.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
But really, good Guards are a dime a dozen. Mankins is still on his rookie contract and will be looking for a huge raise, ie. Steve Hutchinson/Alan Faneca type money??
Shaun Alexander called, he begs to differ.

But Oline has to be considered in this draft. G or T spots b/c neither tackle on the roster will be worth the raise they will want when their respective contracts are up. Mankins . . . oh man I hope they figure out a way. I completely disagree with the qouted statement and would hate to see Logan beasting out for some other RBs.

I'm not sure what the priority will be. I think Mankins may take priority over Seymour b/c of age, but that depends on how much money each is looking for next year.

I will say this: I think LB and S are the top priorities, which means the Pats will probably go all O & D line with the day one picks. ;)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Honestly, I think we will draft some o-line help earlier than previosuly expected, but I don't think it is a round 1 need (unless someone fell somehow) or unless the staff fell in love with someone (see Logan Mankins). I still feel that CB is a bigger need than LB because outside of Hobbs, Wheatley, and Wilhite we have.....Richardson? A DB or 4 always get hurt every year. At LB we still have Thomas, Mayo, Vrable, Crable, Guyton, Redd (i know, i know, he's a project), and maybe Bruschi. Ya there is a hole at ILB and some depth on the outside could be used, but I feel like we could get a pretty good thumper at ILB later int he draft (Jasper Brinkley?). Safety is definitely a need, where Meriweather can play either free or strong, and Sanders is better suited for a backup/sub role. Problem there is that outside of maybe Moore (which is still probably somewhat of a reach) there are really no first round safeties to draft, leaving it as more of a round 2-3 choice. Ideally, we pick up at least a first from say...Minnesota, and can pick up a need (CB or LB, maybe S) and then possibly an OL/DL with the other (DL if they feel someone there fits.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that we have a recent history of getting our o-lineman later in the draft/outside of the draft. Only Mankins (1st) and Light (2nd) are high draft picks. Koppen (5th), Neal (UDFA), Kazcur (4th), in addition to Hichstein (FA, but 5th round by TB), O'Callaghan (5th) are all later draft picks.

Last edited by Bigburt63 : 01-27-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Patrick Chung (SS, Oregon) could possibly be a 1st rd pick.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to throw this out... Canfield has 30-31" arms.

Baby T-rex.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

i wouldnt mind jason watkins in the 3rd round for depth and the eventual successor to matt light

Old 01-31-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Default Which 2 picks would you prefer?

1st) OLB - Larry English
2nd) SS- Patrick Chung

or

1st) CB - Alphonso Smith
2nd) OLB/ILB/TE - Conner Barwin

Personally I like the first option better. Because CB depth is always good and BB knows how to pick them in the later rounds. Someone like Joe Burnett (UCF) or Bruce Johnson (Miami) in the 3rd-4th round seems like the typical Belichick pick. Scout.com has an article on the Pats scouting both of them already, saying they fit the Patriot CB mold. Also as much upside as Barwin has, he's ultimately a project at whatever position they put him at. English is solid all around and possibly the best pure rusher after Everette Brown in this years draft. Patrick Chung is the best SS this year who can play in the box AND cover TE's.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Need to see what Barwin can do at the combine, if he measures at 6-4 and 250+ and runs a 4.6 then you're talking 2 guys with 1st round numbers in him and Alphonso Smith.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Bradyjackson12
Rookie

I think it could be interesting to see others mocks for the Pats, just explains why those picks would work well. I'll post one soon considering how the senior did at the senior bowl.

Trade in the mock are welcome, just explain why for both team and try to limit yourself to one to stay reasonable.

looking forward to discuss other's opinions.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

yea i like option 2 muchhhhh better