Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Would the Jets have a better record if they stuck with Chad Pennington?
Yes 22 33.85%
No 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Brett Favre or Chad Pennington

I've always been a fan of Chad, but I'm not going to lie I was so excited when the Jets acquired Brett and then dropped Chad. Now 15 games down I want to know what you all think. I decided to make this thread before they played against each other because I figured whoever wins the week 17 matchup would win the poll and I want it to be unbiased.

Brett Favre 9-6
-Came to a team that filled almost all their needs in free agency, and all he had to do was be a game manager to win games.

Wins:
193 for 271, 2019 yds, 71.2 comp %, 17 TDs, 10 Ints, 98.0 Rat
Losses:
112 for 180, 1033 yds, 62.3 comp %, 4 TDs, 7 Ints, 69.1 Rat, 1 rush TD

Chad Pennington 10-5
-Basically turned the worst team in the league around with the help of the wildcat offense, a revamped D, and a great front office.

Wins:
170 for 248, 1935 yds, 68.5 comp %, 6 TDs, 2 Ints, 96.4 Rat
Losses:
103 for 164, 1283 yds, 62.8 comp %, 8 TDs, 4 Ints, 93.1 Rat, 1 Rush TD

What the above stats tell me is Chad week in and week out put his team in a position to win games, and in their losses did not blow them games. Favre on the other hand played well in Jets wins, but in their losses did not play well. Of course this is a team sport, but I think that if the Jets had Chad they might have a better record than 9-6. What do you guys think?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oops I just read Ward's post now. I think this could go in the NFL forum tho because it discusses Brett and Chad. sorry, move this if you see fit.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted No. It's not that I think Favre is any better than Pennington - it's just that Favre sparked a new interest in the team. I feel like that offense had to have had more faith in itself when Favre came.

Now if it's a conversation about who I'd rather have under center, then I think I want Pennington. Noodle arm or not, I know what Pennington is going to give me - the same is not true for Favre.

Edit: I realize I came off looking like I was trying to say Pennington is better than Favre. That's not what I meant - he's just a different type of QB :)

Last edited by Bengalsrocket : 12-21-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also voted no. I think that team lost confidence in Pennington, and he's seemed like a new man down in Miami.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Has is this even a question of course they would have a better record.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chad is a better quarterback than Favre. He gives similar production without leading the league in interceptions. At this point in his career Pennington is also a more reliable option in big moments and games. The Jets record would probably have been somewhat better with Pennington because he would have produced more against many of the bad teams that the Jets lost to.

Favre is also likely a one year rental; one which came at the price of a 3rd round pick.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I also voted no. I think that team lost confidence in Pennington, and he's seemed like a new man down in Miami.
This is my reasoning as well. The Jets got a spark from Favre, and Pennington sparked the Phins
Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
Has is this even a question of course they would have a better record.
No, it is a good question to consider. Although the team was vastly improved in many key positions, Favre instilled a swagger back into that offense that Chad lost a grasp of in his final season in NY. It's not so simple as looking at it from the standpoint of who is the better QB on the better team.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
No, it is a good question to consider. Although the team was vastly improved in many key positions, Favre instilled a swagger back into that offense that Chad lost a grasp of in his final season in NY. It's not so simple as looking at it from the standpoint of who is the better QB on the better team or anything of that sort.
Not really other than the Arizona, St. Louis and Tennesse game they weren't that dominant offensively.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not really other than the Arizona, St. Louis and Tennesse game they weren't that dominant offensively.
I'm sure the defense also had as much to do with their team success as did Favre and the offense. The point is he provided a spark that I'm not sure Chad could have given them to get to this point.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

to be honest i dont think it is the "favre spark" that helped the offense. i think it is the acquisition of faneca and woody.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know, I think that Pennington would probably be worse in New York than he is in Miami right now. He had lost that team and the fresh start has obviously revitalized him. And I think Favre was a fairly successful gamble for the Jets.

Their success patterns have been interesting. Favre was better in September, Pennington in October, Favre in November, and now Pennington in December. I think there's definitely an argument for Pennington being more consistent and getting better as the season went along instead of worse like Favre, but you have to attribute both teams' surprising success to their respective quarterbacks to a large extent. Both have had good seasons.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
to be honest i dont think it is the "favre spark" that helped the offense. i think it is the acquisition of faneca and woody.
True. Favre under center of last year's Jets team wouldn't have made much of a difference. I think that 'spark' has tailed off the last few weeks though but it was more than apparent early on, imo.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Favre should be credited with the Jets improved ability to run the ball and Leon Washington having a great season returning the ball. The Jets passing attack hasn't exactly been all that great; in fact the Jets' inability to consistently pass the ball is a large reason they have struggled against a lot of ****** teams.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:36 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure the defense also had as much to do with their team success as did Favre and the offense. The point is he provided a spark that I'm not sure Chad could have given them to get to this point.
The spark had more to do with Faneca, Jenkins, Pace.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The spark had more to do with Faneca, Jenkins, Pace.
Yes, they were part of it but probably the biggest was at the QB position. Only a handful of guys have the charisma to elevate the play of others and I just feel Favre has to be considered one of them. Could he do it without those guys ? Of course not and I'm not implying that either. Chad needed to move on and more importantly the front office no longer had as much faith in him which is clear since there were usually questions looming over the status of the team's QB situation in his final seasons there especially after the drafting of Clemens.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Favre for the only reason because now they respect the deep ball and will keep only 7 in the box.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Surprisingly, and it seems strange to say it, but yeah I'd take Chad over Favre at this point. Chad is just an amazing decision maker, something Favre is not, and I'd take a guy who will keep you in games and make great decisions in crunch time as opposed to a guy who will just loft it up to the other teams defense when the game is on the line.

Favre still has much better arm than Chad, but Favre really has lost a bit on his deep ball it seems, which is a big problem if you ask me. Those throws he could get away with due to sheer arm strength aren't there any more. It's really changed his game.

When the Jets were running the ball and making Favre throw it underneath and limiting his long throws were when they were at their best, and I think that's partially because he can still gun it underneath, just not deep anymore.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, he's simply used in different ways in Miami I guess, and he's like a new man and people trust him, and his coaches really trust him, I guess in NY he wasn't really trusted if he was let go.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:05 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I think Favre for the only reason because now they respect the deep ball and will keep only 7 in the box.
He throws an interception EVERY TIME he goes deep.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
He throws an interception EVERY TIME he goes deep.
I think the point he's trying to make is that although he's probably lost a little zip on the deep ball, opponents still respect it enough to the point they keep only 7 in the box thus opening up holes in the running game for Jones and Washington to both exploit.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
No, he's simply used in different ways in Miami I guess, and he's like a new man and people trust him, and his coaches really trust him, I guess in NY he wasn't really trusted if he was let go.
Agreed. I would think having Favre as your QB is a completley different mentality for the team than the guy who has been injured on and off his whole career in the city, and hasnt really done much the previous few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think the point he's trying to make is that although he's probably lost a little zip on the deep ball, opponents still respect it enough to the point they keep only 7 in the box thus opening up holes in the running game for Jones and Washington to both exploit.
Except that's not really the case at all, to be honest. They stack the box with 8 regardless of Favre's arm power because of how good that running game can be at times with both Thomas Jones and Leon Washington.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted no, I think that Chad getting cut gave him new energy as well as a lot of motovation to show that he's still a good QB and that he can still win and lead. He would not have been playing like this if he was still a Jet. I think the team just didn't believe that he could do it anymore. I feel that the Jets felt like when Chad was starting that they didn't want him starting bu they just didn't have anyone better.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, they were part of it but probably the biggest was at the QB position. Only a handful of guys have the charisma to elevate the play of others and I just feel Favre has to be considered one of them. Could he do it without those guys ? Of course not and I'm not implying that either. Chad needed to move on and more importantly the front office no longer had as much faith in him which is clear since there were usually questions looming over the status of the team's QB situation in his final seasons there especially after the drafting of Clemens.
This is the one thing about Favre that annoys me. People give him credit for everything. He is one of the best QBS I have ever seen but did Favre's entuhsiasm help the Jets defense force all the turnovers they did? Did his enthusiasm help Kris Jenkins stuff the run?Was it his enthusiasm that caused Leon the break all those big plays?Good thing Favre was in Greem Bay without his enthusiasm Reggie White would have never amde the Hall of Fame.