Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default OffSeason

Resign TJ Houshmanzadeh

Sign in FA:
Target defense
Jonathon Vilma ILB
Bertrand Berry DE

Trade Chad Johnson for a late 1st or early 2nd
Chicago Bears 20
Philadelphia - 18-28
Washington 14

Draft:
Round 1a:
Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forrest
Round 1b
18-20 range: Alex Mack C Cal
14: Michael Oher OT Ole Miss

Round 2
Option 1: Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma
Option 2: Antoine Caldwell C Alabama

Round 3
Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati
Round 3 comp
Andre Brown RB NC State

Round 4
Jordon Shipley WR Texas

Round 5
Brannan Southerland FB Georgia

Round 6
Tony Dixon RB Kentucky

Round 7
DJ Clark CB Iowa St

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like Barwin is a better fit in a 3-4 and he's also a guy that will need time to develop. Really like the Brannan Southerland pick, he has kind of been forgotten this year because he was out a lot but I think he can be a great player in the NFL. Absolute freak at his position who is not only a dominant blocker but can run the ball well and even catch some passes.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Barwin as our situational guy. Bring him in on passing downs in a 3-4 set.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Schmidty622

Why in the world would anyone give us a first for Chad after the year he had? He's worth a 3rd at best but I don't know if the Bengals could even get that for him. They'd need to pair him with a pick. I think a third and CJ could net the Bengals a late first rounder.

TJ has better value than chad right now and I wouldn't mind a tag and trade of him to get an additional first and a third.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Because it is a freak year for Chad. He wasn't healthy, didn't have Carson. The O-Line was garbage. And the reason TJ looked so much better was that Fitzpatricks short passes fit better into his game more so than Chads. When healthy and with a decent QB, Chad is a top WR in the game

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Chambers got a 2nd round pick and in his 7 seasons he had 1 1,000 yard receiving year... Yes, Chad had a bad year but the GM's would surely compensate for the fact that Chad lives on the deep ball and timing routes that Fitzpatrick just wasn't capable of. Chad is easily worth a 2nd rounder, the Redskins would make a deal.

We've gotta re-sign TJ, he is essential for this offense having success. Re-sign Benson, I'd imagine Levi will be cut. Get a 180 pound bum off the street to replace Ghiaciuc (who despite the grief I give him, he wasn't nearly as horrible in the 2nd half of the season... Maybe it was just that I got used to his sucking).
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

He just didnt suck AS bad...or maybe Benson has found his stride in the NFL.

I like the idea of the 180lbs bum.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-28-2008, 07:27 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carson has been throwing with no pain, everything seems to be going well, hooray.

TJ doesn't want to get franchised, might just have to deal with it.

Found this interesting stat off Cincyjungle.com from Stats inc.

Player Sacks
Stacy Andrews 9.5
Levi Jones 5.5
Andrew Whitworth 5.0
Bobbie Williams 4.0
Eric Ghiaciuc 4.0
Anthony Collins 1.5
Nate Livings 0.5

People (myself included), may not be giving the Blackburn's enough credit in just lumping them in with Brown. They're apparently pushing for a GM, check it out:

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com/whod...convinced.html

Last edited by PalmerToCJ : 12-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's pretty difficult to attribute sacks to any one player especially when we don't know the schematics of our pass blocking scheme. I'm not gonna discount those stats outright, but I would really like to see the film before I really endorse anything like that.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Can't believe we didn't mention this yet....

FIRE BRATKOWSKI!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
Can't believe we didn't mention this yet....

FIRE BRATKOWSKI!!!!!!!!!
since you HAD to go and say it, i'll go ahead and knock on wood for ya.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think if you bring TJ back, he agrees that he'll show up for all of the workouts. If he's not interested in being part of mentoring the young WRers, then I don't want him back.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
I think if you bring TJ back, he agrees that he'll show up for all of the workouts. If he's not interested in being part of mentoring the young WRers, then I don't want him back.
I think really, for all involved we're just better off to sign him long term. I think TJ is a very safe bet as a WR to sign to a long term deal, he's like a Hines Ward (as much as I hate to say it). I'd much rather sign TJ and dump Chad.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I believe they will both be back and Chad's health will help him return to his normal form. Signing TJ for at least a few years is probably our number 1 priority this off season.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TJ is the kind of receiver that can play for a long time. He doesn't need his speed to be effective, and thus losing a step wouldn't hurt him as much as it would hurt Chad.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Agreed but if he's not willing to get in here early and get in tune with Carson, it shows some selfishness and it's time to move on.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I do agree that I would not like TJ missing time at all, which is why I want him signed long term really. On the other hand, it's hard to blame him after what happened to Andrews. Again, not saying it's fine that he does, just that I can see why he wouldn't.

Bottom line just sign him long term and both parties are happy.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

IF Bratkowski gets fired, should we look in the NFL or college for a new OC?

Personally I would say maybe look at a college coach and let them sit this year and possibly be the heir to the job once Marvin is out. Turner Gil? Could we possibly tempt Mark Richt out of UGA?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoever we get, we need someone who loves to run as much as Marvin does. Carson cannot carry this team. I know we'd all like to think he's good enough, but he's proven that it's not possible (at least not with Bratkowski's playbook.

Once we get someone who can be creative and productive with the running game, then we can let Carson work his magic to finish games off.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey just seeing if anyone would like to join the new Forum Mock.
Right now nobody only one person has signed up to be the GM of the Bengals and there is also an expansion team in this forum mock. So go check it out. Signups are scheduled to end Sunday night.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28445

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Cowher on the pre-game just said he thought the Bengals were one of the teams that didn't make the playoffs this year that could next year. Cited the improvement in our defense (about time someone noticed). The reason I'm posting this is it makes me wonder if he'd come to Cincinnati if we had a job opening, obviously he likes the talent... Just not sure he'd be willing to deal with Brown (and that would be very understandable lol).

I do agree with him, my hopes for next season (all pending on Carson and the Oline) will generally be pretty high, I guess I only have myself to blame if we don't.

My one concern defensively is the fact that we generally played behind this year or at best in a close game. I'm worried that if the offense could get it together that teams would be able to come back on us due to the lack of pass rush and increased passing. Granted, the pass rush was awful this year but the pass D was good. We had 503 pass attempts on us which is 20th most so they were still solid and got passed on.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Kind of surprised to hear that from Cowher but I think we could all agree his assessment is not unfounded. As far as him becoming our next head coach, I highly doubt that. We would probably be one of the last teams he would want to coach for just because of our recent history with him and the Steelers. I would love it if he came here, though.

My thoughts for next season are that we can easily be an 8-8 team again with some semblance of health. If our D continues to grow, we see a return of our run game, and we learn how to pass protect, we could be better than that.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I suppose with the way the defense has improved, the argument could be made, but I won't be the one making it. The defense improved mostly from playing teams like Cleveland, Washington (ok a little better), and Kansas City. Shouldn't your defense improve when playing teams that bad ?? I think it's a bit off.

If the pass rush doesn't come next year either by drafting personnel or getting more production out of the DE's we have, it's not going to be much better. I will give slack to the fact Odom was hurt and missed valuable time in camp and early in the season, so there's that.

Looking at our schedule can be a bit misleading as well. People just have no idea how those teams that appear to be weak right now may improve through free agency and the draft. Based on our history, I don't look for an impact free agent and maybe one or two players that will produce from the draft.

With Carson back, improvements on the lines, and some players getting healthy you can make the argument for playoffs, but I'll be sticking with 8-8 at best and no playoffs.
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM    (permalink
AkiliSmith
Veteran

AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Re-sign
T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Franchise) - Best player on the team this season.
Cedric Benson - Played great for how terrible the offensive line was.
Shayne Graham - Golden Graham.
Brandon Johnson - Played well in Rivers absence.
Chris Crocker - Played very well.
Ryan Fitzpatrick - Decent backup. Knows the system.
Stacy Andrews - I think he'll be extremely cheap because of his play this season and the injury.

Cut
Levi Jones
Dexter Jackson

Free Agents
RT Matt Stinchcomb

Draft
1. OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
2. C Max Unger, Oregon
3. RB Jerimiah Johnson, Oregon
4. FB Brannon Southerland
4. (comp) OT Andrew Gardner, Georgia Tech
5. ILB Jason Phillips, Texas Christian

Roster
QB - Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jordan Palmer
RB - Cedric Benson, Jerimiah Johnson, Kenny Watson
FB - Brannan Southerland
WR - T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Jerome Simpson, Glenn Holt
TE - Reggie Kelly, Ben Utecht, Dan Coats
LT - Anthony Collins
LG - Andrew Whitworth, Nate Livings
C - Max Unger, Dan Santucci
RG - Bobbie Williams, Scott Kooistra, Stacy Andrews (IR/PUP)
RT - Matt Stinchcomb, Andrew Gardner

LE - Robert Geathers, Frostee Rucker, Eric Henderson
UT - Pat Sims, Orien Harris
NT - Domata Peko, Jason Shirley
RE - Antwan Odom, Jonathan Fanene
WLB - Keith Rivers, Brandon Johnson
MLB - Dhani Jones, Corey Mays, Jason Phillips
SLB - Aaron Curry, Jim Maxwell
CB - Leon Hall, Johnathan Joseph, David Jones, Simeon Castille
FS - Chris Crocker, Marvin White, Corey Lynch
SS - Chinedum Ndukwe, Kyries Hebert

K - Shayne Graham
P - Kyle Larson (or whoever they draft in round 6 that will beat him out)
LS - Brad St. Louis
AkiliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I finally got to see Max Unger play and I came away really impressed with him. Brannan Southerland would also give us a big boost in the run game since we didn't have a FB that was even decent at all this season. He's actually a good runner himself and can catch passes when called upon.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165