Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Lions to hire as Head Coach?
Mike Shanahan 7 15.91%
Steve Spagnuolo 11 25.00%
Marty Schottenheimer 5 11.36%
Josh McDaniels 3 6.82%
Jim Schwartz 7 15.91%
Leslie Frazier 1 2.27%
Jason Garrett 6 13.64%
Other (please explain) 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Exclamation Lions Coaching Search Thread

Marinelli is out. Colletto demoted to O-Line coach. Barry is gone. Stan Kwan was retained!?

Discuss the coaching staff here.

Candidates for hire? Who is your #1 choice?

Running List of Candidates:

Steve Spagnuolo (Giants DC)
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/29/lion...nts-spagnuolo/

Jerry Gray (Redskins DB coach)
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/29/inte...coaching-jobs/

Jason Garrett (Cowboys OC)
Per NFL Network

Last edited by Xiomera : 12-29-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't given much thought to this (wanted to wait til Rod was officially gone), but I like Josh McDaniels.

I don't want Brian Billick.

I love Jim Johnson, but he's probably too old.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Marty Schottenheimer selection, but we could do better.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Would you guys rather have an Offensive or Defensive minded head coach?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Brian Billick with Mike Nolan as DC?

I'd take that. It would be interesting at least switching Ds. But most likely we stick with a 4-3.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
What about Brian Billick with Mike Nolan as DC?

I'd take that. It would be interesting at least switching Ds. But most likely we stick with a 4-3.
Billick is an offensive guy. Sure he coached the Ravens to that Super Bowl behind a historic defense, but he was an offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

Mike Nolan as DC? Hmm . . . we could do better. Gotta hire the head coach first anyways.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I like Rex Ryan. Not sure if he's got the stuff to be a HC, but I'd love to see a switch to a 3-4.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know Billick is an offensive guy. He's also an experienced head coach with a good record/playoff experience/Super Bowl ring/decent judge of offensive talent at least. We need experience at head coach after the Rod fiasco and Mayhew's lack of experience. Billick with heavy input for Mayhew may work. And Nolan was a good DC. Nolan focusing on the D instead of head coach, Billick focusing on the O could work. Billick would be better especially if we take a QB instead of a defensive minded head coach. Only problem is switching to 3-4 would be tough to do but our defense needs a major overahaul anyway. Another problem is this screams Daunte Culpepper for another year because he has ties to Billick. If thats the case, then no way to Billick.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I think Daunte is gone for sure.

I don't know if getting a Head Coach plus two coordinators who have previous head coaching experience is a good idea. That could lead to a lot of dissention.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Different ideas at least is a good thing from 2 experienced coaches. In the end they have to be on the same page but I think Mayhew would listen to Billick. And obviously Billick would relinquish the defense to Nolan like he did in Baltimore. Millen obviously did what he wanted unless Mooch wanted all those recievers(which is possible but not probable) and this season gave Rod wanted he wanted(unfortunately Rod is an inexperienced idiot living in 2002 Tampa style).

And I was mistaken. Billick never coached Daunte when he was in Minnesota. So yes Daunte better be gone.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I want whoever is going to best utilitze Calvin Johnson and best develop Matthew Stafford for Head Coach or OC.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Billick or Rex Ryan.

McDaniels seems unlikely to go unless Pioli hires him somewhere.

Mangini seems a little intriguing to me for some reason.

Spagnuolo or Schwartz would be acceptable.
Calvin & Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though I'm a Baltimore fan, I'm with you on the Rex Ryan bandwagon. All of his players love him and I think he'll make a better HC than a DC, he just seems to be unable to adjust at times... I think a defensive minded head coach is also better, look at Mike Smith and John Harbaugh this year.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I don't want anyone from the college ranks, that's for sure.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The sources quoted by the posters at scout.com, claim that only coach Jefferson and coach Gash were retained and all the other coaches were fired with Marinelli, meaning Colletto is out as OC. There is some belief Colletto was only demoted. We can only hope that isn't true.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
The sources quoted by the posters at scout.com, claim that only coach Jefferson and coach Gash were retained and all the other coaches were fired with Marinelli, meaning Colletto is out as OC. There is some belief Colletto was only demoted. We can only hope that isn't true.
No. Colletto is the O-Line coach now, and Stan Kwan was retained:

http://davebirkett.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Assistants Kippy Brown (passing-game coordinator), Stan Kwan (special teams), Shawn Jefferson (receivers), Sam Gash (running backs) and others were retained and likely will be left for whoever the next coach is to pick over. None or all could return next year.

But none of them will be retained in the end unless the new Head Coach still wants them.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
No. Colletto is the O-Line coach now, and Stan Kwan was retained:

http://davebirkett.blogspot.com/

But none of them will be retained in the end unless the new Head Coach still wants them.
Thats actually smart. Anyone directly brought in by Marinelli (Barrys,Cullen,Lake) are gone and the coach decides on the others. Most likely not keeping them.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of Spagnuolo.

- Defensive coach
- 4-3 coach - I'm not in favor of going to 3-4 because it would take three years for us to have the proper personnel to run it
- Ran a defense with excellent pass rush and tremendous D-line
- Comes from an organization that makes DL and pass rush priority #1
- Coached under Coughlin, known for highest level of discipline and hard work
Calvin & Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

I think it all depend on our nose tackle. If we take a 3-4 nose tackle with our 20th pick well then we could run the 3-4. Redding is a DT that could move to DE in a 3-4, he used to play DE and has bulked up because of his switch to DE. Avril at OLB would be interesting. Only problem is Sims would have problems fitting in at OLB because he is way too small. Take best ILB/OLB or other DE with 2nd rounder. And we have some building blocks.

We need Mike,SAM,Nose Tackle,one DE,2nd Corner, Nickel Corner, maybe even number 1 corner since Bodden doesn't fit Tampa 2 and 2 safeties anyway(Bullocks can't cover) for the Tampa 2 anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I say no to Billick for the simple reason that the underlying reason that he got fired in Baltimore was the fact that he couldn't develop a young QB (Boller) even though he's known as an Offensive guru.

That simple fact would not bode well for us in Detroit.

My vote is for Spagnoulo, I like Defensive head coaches, most of them seem to favor a team that tries to control the trenches, which is what I believe in.

I think the best choice would be for Shottenheimer, I think he'll be the best hepl at identifying talent for the draft and he's always been able to develop his young players. Additionally, he's done a very good job of assembling coaching staffs where ever he has gone.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of Spagnuolo.

- Defensive coach
- 4-3 coach - I'm not in favor of going to 3-4 because it would take three years for us to have the proper personnel to run it
- Ran a defense with excellent pass rush and tremendous D-line
- Comes from an organization that makes DL and pass rush priority #1
- Coached under Coughlin, known for highest level of discipline and hard work
Spagnuolo is high on my list. He's definitely my preferred defensive-minded coach.

That said, why would he come to Detroit?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Can someone sticky this thread please?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Schottenhiemer is interesting. the chargers have like 20 starters that are home grown or something like that and that is a reflection on schotenhiemer's ability to develop players.

Mangini i would like he's been a quality coach and is defensive minded.

Spagnuolo would be fine but the other two have coaching experience and he doesnt but his resume fits and i love what he's done with the giants defense.

In terms of DC i would love crennel or nolan they both have done great jobs as DCs
Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

One interesting note with Billick/Nolan combo

There are 2 big free agents that may be available from Baltimore due to their cap. Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott. If we had Billick, that would be a nice connection to actually get one decent FA defensive player. Build through the draft but someone with defensive talent would help because rookies are well rookies and we need a QB.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think its pretty much a done deal. i'll live with billick. we just need some fiery, murdering, coke-dealing players now. that being said i love the way baltimore was built and maybe some of it rubbed off on billick, who will in turn push for certain players in the draft. i don't think this is our championship coach though. he's just the guy who is going to be around for the next 3 years.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I am just hoping we can bring in both an offensive and defensive expert in some capacity. It didn't work, but I did like the Marinelli-Martz dynamic that in theory allows the head coach to focus on what he specializes in most (being it Offense or Defense). But I think when all is said and done, the Lions won't go that route again. I bet they go for an all around guy like, dare I say, Brian Billick.