Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Lions to hire as Head Coach?
Mike Shanahan 7 15.91%
Steve Spagnuolo 11 25.00%
Marty Schottenheimer 5 11.36%
Josh McDaniels 3 6.82%
Jim Schwartz 7 15.91%
Leslie Frazier 1 2.27%
Jason Garrett 6 13.64%
Other (please explain) 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard a strong rumor based on some facts that indicate Brian Billick will be our new HC. 2 of the coaches retained by the team have ties to Billick which might explain why they were kept on board. However it is still only a rumor.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:59 AM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

with the horse jockey entering this debate i would like to see him as our head coach, very experienced coach who could turn this team around
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i don't fully believe that kowalski logic. billick had some hard years in baltimore without a real qb and if he wants to coach, then he'll have to be willing to understand that there will be 'lump' periods. heck watching all of our games proves that he's willing to weather a storm.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I heard a strong rumor based on some facts that indicate Brian Billick will be our new HC. 2 of the coaches retained by the team have ties to Billick which might explain why they were kept on board. However it is still only a rumor.
I heard there's no way he's coming here. Apparently he sought council from a high-ranking somebody who warned him not to come to Detroit cause he couldn't win here.

I don't think Billick fits the Lions new "organizational plan." It's merely coincidental that Colletto and Gash were retained, which is only temporary anyways.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I heard there's no way he's coming here. Apparently he sought council from a high-ranking somebody who warned him not to come to Detroit cause he couldn't win here.

I don't think Billick fits the Lions new "organizational plan." It's merely coincidental that Colletto and Gash were retained, which is only temporary anyways.
I heard that rumor too. Billick asked for more time to decide and the Lions said no. They were planning on doing a bunch of token interviews like with Mooch. Don't know how true that is, its just typcial internet rumors.

We kept more than Colletto and Gash though. Mayhew or whoever stated it was because they were good coaches and the new coach might want to keep them instead of just let them go. Could be bs, unknown at ths point. But the new coach will ultimately decide their fate.

I think we should just promote Stan Kwan to head coach. Kwan is the Man(pronounced Mon).
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MLive says we're interviewing Miami Asst. HC Todd Bowles . . . whoever the hell he is . . .
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm waiting for them to start announcing that we're interviewing high school coaches

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
i'm waiting for them to start announcing that we're interviewing high school coaches
The football coach at my high school played for the Lions briefly in the 1980's.

I think he's qualified in Mr. Ford's eyes.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think Josh McDaniels would be a good canidate. He's young, and he is a tough guy from what I've seen. Not Brian Billik...

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I put Shanahan at the top of the list right above Schott and Spaghetti. McDaniels is interesting very interesting but the success of The Hoodie's COs has been bad two just got fired and one really should be. Shanahan takes 6th round guys makes them into players you'd trade for. 2nd round picks into all stars. Small linemen into gold. My vote is for Shanahan

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
MLive says we're interviewing Miami Asst. HC Todd Bowles . . . whoever the hell he is . . .
some of these guys never had a prime...
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hope you don't mind if I weigh in. I think Shanny and McDaniel will not be possibilities. Shanny will want full personal control, and I think that McDaniel will follow Pioli.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 12-31-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Hope you don't mind if I weigh in. I think Shanny and McDaniel will not be possibilities. Shanny will want full personal control, and I think that McDaniel will follow Pioli.
Definitely agree on that. No way on Shannahan or McDaneil.

Spags, Schwartz, Heimerdinger,Frazier

One name we're not looking at who would be interesting would be Dan Reeves. Heard on radio today he would be interested in coaching again.

Billick seems like a no go per that rumor, but you never know.

Whoever it is, we need some damn decent personnel for him. It's going to take time to get the D they want. Spags has Giants Dline,Pierce,Ross etc, Schwartz has Hayneworth,Bulluck,Griffin and 4 big free agents in VandenBosch,Harper,Thornton,Hope. Lions got Sims,Avril and the hope that offensive players trip on the turf at Ford Field.

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 12-31-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Spicoli

<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 12-31-2008 at 02:59 PM.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
TheGM
Rookie

TheGM is a cocksman.TheGM is a cocksman.TheGM is a cocksman.

Spagnhuolo is the best choice he as the four things you look for in coach for a bad team; mentor, system, championship experiance, and hunger.
Mentors) He worked under Andy Reid and Jim Johnson in philly in addition to his time with Coughlin in New York. These are three coaches who have been succesfull for a long time so he has seen how winners work.

System)This year he kept the Giants D playing at a high level despite injuries and the retirement of a hall of famer, that's good coaching and a system that works.

Championship)He was an important part of a championship team. Coaches that are part of the braintrust of teams with rings do well when they move up to the top spot.

Hunger)I'm wary of coaches who don't have anything to prove Shanahan and Bilick already have a good track record if they lose in Detroit it won't ruin their name, people will say it was the franchise not the coach. For an unproven guy he has the extra motivation of wanting to prove their worth.
TheGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
as a Miami fan, let me say that I think he'd be a pretty good hire for you guys. I'd hate to lose him, but he did wonders with our secondary. He made Andre Goodman look like a very good starter (who had a very good year this year), and made Nathan Jones look like an actual CB, and not just a ST player.

He was originally slated to be our DC when Sparano took over, but he wanted to focus on the secondary so he was given the Asst. HC title.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I figure it will be Dennis Green formaly of Minny and Arizona. What bright HC or even old recycled HC would want to stake their career on Mayhew finding the talent to win.
The solid people in the NFL are just shaking their heads in disbelief over Mayhew's getting the GM position. No qualifications equals another disaster in the making and what HC will want to be a part of that. That leaves Denny Green or perhaps Art Schell as the 2 most likely candidates as they are probably desperate enough to consider taking the job.
I doubt anybody who really believes he can coach will pick Detroit as his next location. Welcome to the world of Oakland Raider fans.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

lol, when i think of underachieving or just plain bad teams, dennis green always pops in my head too. they might as well throw money at my childhood hero jim harbaugh. i heard he's about to sign an extension with stanford, but oakland wants him. if he coaches for us a few years and then gets canned then he can probably upgrade from stanford to a different college for more money. although i wouldn't leave stanford if i were him.
captain comeback could resurrect the lions. although does a win count as a resurrection at this point?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I figure it will be Dennis Green formaly of Minny and Arizona. What bright HC or even old recycled HC would want to stake their career on Mayhew finding the talent to win.
The solid people in the NFL are just shaking their heads in disbelief over Mayhew's getting the GM position. No qualifications equals another disaster in the making and what HC will want to be a part of that. That leaves Denny Green or perhaps Art Schell as the 2 most likely candidates as they are probably desperate enough to consider taking the job.
I doubt anybody who really believes he can coach will pick Detroit as his next location. Welcome to the world of Oakland Raider fans.
You always say this, and I always reply the same:

There's only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL. It's the highest level of football. The jobs, regardless of the franchise, are sought after. And while all 32 jobs are not created equal, they are still desirable. We might not attract everyone, but surely there are qualified people who want this job despite its pitfalls.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

May I ask the two people who voted for Jason Garrett to explain their choice? I can't for the life of me fathom why we'd want a guy who has SOOO much offensive talent in Dallas and can't even get his offense to function sometimes, let alone handle a defense too . . .
Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Todd Bowles and Mayhew played on the same team in Washington. Thats the connection.

Bowles was the secondary coach of Cowboys. Parcells disciple I guess. Another position coach straight to head coach though so I don't like it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
Todd Bowles and Mayhew played on the same team in Washington. Thats the connection.

Bowles was the secondary coach of Cowboys. Parcells disciple I guess. Another position coach straight to head coach though so I don't like it.
Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804041
Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You always say this, and I always reply the same:

There's only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL. It's the highest level of football. The jobs, regardless of the franchise, are sought after. And while all 32 jobs are not created equal, they are still desirable. We might not attract everyone, but surely there are qualified people who want this job despite its pitfalls.
Well Oakland has a difficult time attracting my list even if they desire to be a HC. Why, because Al Davis is tough to work for and fires people who won't follow his orders without question. People simply don't want to work for him. He makes his HC's life miserable.
Mayhew is looked upon as a WCF crony who is way over his head as a GM. Not only do you have the thought of taking over a talentless team, you must depend on a talentless, unproven GM to provide you with players. If I'm a bright young mind with a real future in the game or even a recycled HC, I avoid Oakland and Detroit like the plague. They are career ending locations with no hope for success.
I was joking about Denny Green and Art Schell being offered the job but in reality, Mayhew isn't going to attract top guys either and who knows what we will have shoved down our throats as Mayhew begins to realize that few promising HC's want to come here. I think we are going to be stuck with a recycled HC whose career is stuck in the mud or a young guy without much experience at coaching in the NFL. Either way it doesn't look promising to me.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

true about oakland, but the lions players play hard for their coaches and that makes a world of a difference. i'd say a better coach would have made a huge difference for detroit. if we had a top coaching staff, then we could have won 6 games this year which is way different than 0-16.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there is a huge difference between us and oakland. Oakland fires their coach after one year. No coach goes there because he know it will take them longer than a year to turn the team around but also knows that they will be fired in a year so it is an impossible situation for them. We keep our coaches for a long time everytime and always give them enough time to win