Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Lions to hire as Head Coach?
Mike Shanahan 7 15.91%
Steve Spagnuolo 11 25.00%
Marty Schottenheimer 5 11.36%
Josh McDaniels 3 6.82%
Jim Schwartz 7 15.91%
Leslie Frazier 1 2.27%
Jason Garrett 6 13.64%
Other (please explain) 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
there is a huge difference between us and oakland. Oakland fires their coach after one year. No coach goes there because he know it will take them longer than a year to turn the team around but also knows that they will be fired in a year so it is an impossible situation for them. We keep our coaches for a long time everytime and always give them enough time to win
Difference is Al Davis. The lions might have had inept GMs in charge, but at least their is a chance that the GM can be fired or that personel decisions will include the coaches input. In Oakland that doesnt happen, Al Davis is the only person who has a say in anything there, apparantly that includes the plays that they run during the game.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
I put Shanahan at the top of the list right above Schott and Spaghetti. McDaniels is interesting very interesting but the success of The Hoodie's COs has been bad two just got fired and one really should be. Shanahan takes 6th round guys makes them into players you'd trade for. 2nd round picks into all stars. Small linemen into gold. My vote is for Shanahan
That was me who created the spaghetti nickname! Me!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.freep.com/article/2008123.../81230023/1048

Good read here.

Obviously the two best candidates based off this article are Spagnuolo and Frazier.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, it appears Spagnuolo has had his visit with the Lions:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009010...28/1048/sports

No details provided, however.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
http://www.freep.com/article/2008123.../81230023/1048

Good read here.

Obviously the two best candidates based off this article are Spagnuolo and Frazier.
Spaghetti and...... I'll think of a good food nickname for Frazier.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ey_to_coa.html

Jason Garrett turned down an interview with us.. and apparently we're after Mike Mularkey.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ey_to_coa.html

Jason Garrett turned down an interview with us.. and apparently we're after Mike Mularkey.
Oh good. Let's just call in all the guys who have previously interviewed for Lions Head Coaching vacancies.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Mularky comes to Detroit they are going to need a bigger runningback than Kevin Smith.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
If Mularky comes to Detroit they are going to need a bigger runningback than Kevin Smith.
Jehuu Caulcrick FTW!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of Spagnuolo.

- Defensive coach
- 4-3 coach - I'm not in favor of going to 3-4 because it would take three years for us to have the proper personnel to run it
- Ran a defense with excellent pass rush and tremendous D-line
- Comes from an organization that makes DL and pass rush priority #1
- Coached under Coughlin, known for highest level of discipline and hard work
wait, you think we have the personnel to run any kind of defense at this point? Have you seen our D this year? No matter what the hell we run we need to replace pretty much the entire defense.

I voted McDaniels, but I'd be a-ok with most guys on that list.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/..._jim_schw.html

Looks like Schwartz and Mularkey are the leading candidates.... Mularkey chiefly because of how well he did with Ryan. I like that idea which would basically seal Stafford as our pick.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/..._jim_schw.html

Looks like Schwartz and Mularkey are the leading candidates.... Mularkey chiefly because of how well he did with Ryan. I like that idea which would basically seal Stafford as our pick.
Sounds good in theory, but I had hoped Stafford wouldn't be starting right away . . .
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Matt Millen / Marty Mornighnweg

Martin Mayhew / Mike Mularkey

Anyone else see a possible correlation?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Matt Millen / Marty Mornighnweg

Martin Mayhew / Mike Mularkey

Anyone else see a possible correlation?
M^4! I like the letter M.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I think this is our destiny.

At least Mularkey has head coaching experience (2 years with the Bills).
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...s_not_a_c.html

Rex Ryan........... *boingggggg*

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I just don't know what you see in him . . .

Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just don't know what you see in him . . .

Wrong thread to be addressing people's sexiness.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-04-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me Jim Schwartz. I'd like to raid the Titans. Could help us get Albert Haynesworth.. and maybe Schwartz could bring in Dave McGinnis for the DC spot and find a place for Mike Munchak on the staff.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Give me Jim Schwartz. I'd like to raid the Titans. Could help us get Albert Haynesworth.. and maybe Schwartz could bring in Dave McGinnis for the DC spot and find a place for Mike Munchak on the staff.
I'm not sure how much him coming would actually help. But hey, he's probably good and it's worth a shot.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
there is a huge difference between us and oakland. Oakland fires their coach after one year. No coach goes there because he know it will take them longer than a year to turn the team around but also knows that they will be fired in a year so it is an impossible situation for them. We keep our coaches for a long time everytime and always give them enough time to win
However, we also fail to give HC's the talent needed to win. Mayhew may be Millen 2 for all anybody knows. A HC who comes here may get a lot of time, maybe, but careers die in Detroit since we rarely can give a new HC any talent. If I'm a promising bright young HCing prospect, do I tie my coaching career to Mayhew or wait for a better opportunity to appear. Unless I felt I had zero chance of getting another HCing position, Detroit is the last team I sign with.
IMO, this is going to eliminate an awful lot of the top HCing prospects available and leave us signing a suspect HC. Ask yourself, who would want to sign with the Lions under WCF, a notorious owner who has a long record of hiring mediocre to rotten GM's. What has Mayhew got to offer HCing prospects as far as a proven track record of procuring talent????
Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Schwartz is the ****, the dude is brilliant. Best coach on the market IMO.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Jim Schwartz is the ****, the dude is brilliant. Best coach on the market IMO.
Whatever happens with the Lions, I'm going to be underwhelmed.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Whatever happens with the Lions, I'm going to be underwhelmed.
I'd be pretty happy if we got Schwartz. As happy as I could get, considering the circumstances.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

What is it about Schwartz you like so much, WMD?