Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Lions to hire as Head Coach?
Mike Shanahan 7 15.91%
Steve Spagnuolo 11 25.00%
Marty Schottenheimer 5 11.36%
Josh McDaniels 3 6.82%
Jim Schwartz 7 15.91%
Leslie Frazier 1 2.27%
Jason Garrett 6 13.64%
Other (please explain) 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a freakin football nerd. How could you not want him after reading this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sp...pagewanted=all
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
He's a freakin football nerd. How could you not want him after reading this article:

Intriguing.

I do want a defensive-minded Head Coach, so he or Spagnuolo would be fine with me.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only thing that I don't like about Gym Shorts is that he doesn't seem to be a fan of the Blitz.. but it's a fine trade off to get a smart young mind like him.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

sounds good.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I have absolutely nothing against him, he will probably make a decent HC. However the article doesn't tell the whole story. Tennessee played one of the weakest schedules in the entire NFL which certainly helped them account for their record. Tennessee will be tough in the playoffs at home but we'll have to see if they can stand up to playing only good teams with Collins at QB.
At this point, I'd be happy if they can sign any decent HCing prospect so if he wants to come to Detroit to coach under Mayhew which I doubt, he should be pursued. However, this should be the last place he signs on for but you never know.
This article is all hype and ignores anything that could raise questions about his value, nevertheless he might be worth a good look. Unfortunately, Mayhew will be making the call so it is hard to judge this guy. Mayhew will have to show he can judge talent including coaching talent in his first hire.
The Gods be with us because that is the only thing we have going for us with WCF and Mayhew making the decisions.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my short list.

1. Jim Schwartz
2. Leslie Frazier
3. Josh McDaniels

Shanny and Spags aren't coming, so I'm not going to waste my time thinking about them. Not that I'd want Shanahan anyways...
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was wondering why the hell five people want us to hire Jason Garrett. Then I noticed only one was a Lions fan.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I was wondering why the hell five people want us to hire Jason Garrett. Then I noticed only one was a Lions fan.
Haha, yeah I asked those 5 people for an explanation earlier in the thread.

Never got it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Lions to hire a coach this week?

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...head_coac.html
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

I hope they wait. I don't want Mularkey at all. I just don't see how someone who's already failed as a head coach could come in and save this team. I don't trust Todd Bowles either. Look at what happened the last time we hired someone who was never a coordinator. I tend to think most of Miami's success was because of Sparano, not Bowles.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

considering i think Mangini will be going to the browns.

This leaves the Jets and Broncos as two teams who will easily get their coach over us.
Hopefully the jets land Shanahan. But are also looking at the B.C. coach

The Broncos are interested in stoops along with about the top 3 coaches on our list.

IMO theres a very good chance we could get either Spags Schwartz or Ryan. It seems like Jets are looking at other optionsand i dont think Stoops will leave OK. Therefore we will most likely have to choose from Broncos leftovers. No reason to make a rush decision tho IMO
Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Only thing that I don't like about Gym Shorts is that he doesn't seem to be a fan of the Blitz.. but it's a fine trade off to get a smart young mind like him.
From reading the ESPN The Mag article about the Titans D-Line they are just SO GOOD they don't need to blitz. So that could be a reason right there honestly.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

We need a guy who can employ an 11 man blitz.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
considering i think Mangini will be going to the browns.

This leaves the Jets and Broncos as two teams who will easily get their coach over us.
Hopefully the jets land Shanahan. But are also looking at the B.C. coach

The Broncos are interested in stoops along with about the top 3 coaches on our list.

IMO theres a very good chance we could get either Spags Schwartz or Ryan. It seems like Jets are looking at other optionsand i dont think Stoops will leave OK. Therefore we will most likely have to choose from Broncos leftovers. No reason to make a rush decision tho IMO
I like your thinking.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Haha. 11 man blitz is better than Rod's "Maybe they'll trip" philosophy
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I love me some Engage Eight in Madden.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...in_interv.html

That came out of nowhere.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I love me some Engage Eight in Madden.
Haha me too. I love using when I play against the Lions too. The graphics are so good on the PS3 you can actually see Kitna wet his pants before the play and tears streaming down his face after the play.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
We're employing the brother philsophy again.

Kind of like Boss Bailey will be good because of Champ and Terrence Holt will be a stud because of Torry.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Intriguing.

I do want a defensive-minded Head Coach, so he or Spagnuolo would be fine with me.
there are not many options to be your or any teams' OC, and the options are not good ones either.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I would hate that hire. But I guess if that's what we're left with.. it kind of comes with the territory. Our ownership is insanely incompetent. Who wants to coach under a ****** owner and first time GM who was the sidekick of one of the worst GMs ever? Not to mention, you get to inherit a team completely devoid of talent. Marinelli got 3 years and his team was ..sigh.. better than this.

But I don't understand it if we're choosing Jim Harbaugh over NFL Coaches.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I want Boston College's coach as Offensive Coordinator when he gets canned and loses out on the Jets job.

Pipe dream and I know it though.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Will our coach be coaching in the Senior Bowl?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Will our coach be coaching in the Senior Bowl?
Considering we won't have a coaching staff assembled by then, no.

DAMN IT!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:44 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Considering we won't have a coaching staff assembled by then, no.

DAMN IT!
Second time that's happened to us. Marinelli passed on the Senior Bowl for some reason (??) and I think Donnie Henderson coached.. right?