Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.
Default 10 reasons why the Lions should draft Matthew Stafford

10 reasons why the Lions should draft Matthew Stafford

Reason #1: We don't have a good quarterback

Quarterback is the most important position on the team. We don't have a quarterback. Stafford is the best quarterback prospect in this draft. Stafford is a quarterback. We do not have a quarterback. We draft Stafford because we need a quarterback. Not going to fast am i?

Dan Orlovsky is a career backup. 4 INTs in the last 2 games with a QB rating of 64. On the first INT against the Packers, Dan throws the ball too high for 6'5 Calvin
Johnson into Charles Woodsons' hands. How can you throw a ball too high to a guy who is 6'5 and can jump out of the gym?

Culpepper was an experiment gone wrong and should be gone next season. Stanton has looked horrible everytime he gets playtime. People talk about Harrington but no one talks about a second rounder, Stanton, gone horribly wrong due to the poor scouting dept of Millen.

Based upon how poorly our QBs have done this year, quarterback upgrade is the one and most important pressing need next season.

Reason #2: Andre Smith is no Jake Long.

It's easy. The two most talented players in this draft who are projected to go 1st and 2nd are Matthew Stafford and Andre Smith. The GM has to make a decision of do you draft Stafford or Smith? You cannot fix this horrible team with one draft. You cannot fix the whole defense with one draft. You can draft the best player available.

Jeff Backus is not good, i know. But he played good enough to keep his job at LT. His big contract makes it hard to release him if we draft Andre Smith. Andre Smith is a great player, but he has some glaring negatives coming out recenty.

Andre is a good run blocker but speed rushers can get pass him. You put a fast, and strong player like Cliff Avril on Smith. Avril will get the sack.

Andre is too small and overweight to play left tackle. I would rather have Eugene Monroe or Oher or Jason Smith at LT.

Andre has some discipline issues which puts a huge negative on his character. No matter how talented you are, you still need to obey the NCAA and team rules. Andre breaking team rules and being suspended from the Sugar Bowl has put a negative check mark against his character in the eyes of scouts and GMs. I know i would not want to draft a kid who knowly breaks the rules. Investing all that money on a player who is overweight with a big head is a bad investment.

Stafford has not done anything to tarnish his name. His last game with Georgia Tech, he played lights out 4 TDs. Kept his team in the game but his team's poor run defense was what did the BullDogs in.

Reason #3: Stafford has consistently lived up to his billing from High School to College

Stafford was considered the best quarterback coming out of high school. He did not lose a game his senior year and won the state Championship. Stafford has continued his excellent play in college. He leaves the Bulldogs with a great winning record and bowl games in all three years of his college career. In the eyes of the scouts, Stafford has not disappointed.

Reason #4: Good quarterback play is just as important has good lines or defense. They all work together to win games.

A lot of people say you need a good defense or good lines to win before you draft a quarterback. YOU NEED GOOD EVERYTHING TO WIN. If you have a good defense and no quarterback, you can't win. Now the Ravens have Flacco, they are a winning team. Without Flacco, they we're losing low scoring games. YOU NEED GOOD EVERYTHING. You need a good line and you need a good quarterback. Face it, this team is 3-4 drafts from being good. I don't see a can't miss quarterback in the next 2-3 drafts like Stafford.

You can't fix your poor lines or defense in one draft. You can fix your quarterback problem right away. You don't need to play Stafford right away either.

Reason #5: You're not going to trade down very easily with this pick.

Reason #6: No free agent quarterback realistically wants to go to this abyss of a team but Stafford has said he would not mind playing for a losing team.

Matt Cassell is a free agent and he can sign to whatever team he wants. Why would he want to go to the Lions?

The fact Stafford went to Bobby Layne's highschool is scary coincidence. I'm going to make T-shirts saying: "REVERSE THE CURSE LIONS, DRAFT STAFFORD."

Reason #7: Stafford is just a dam good player. Calvin needs a good quarterback.

He's got touch on the ball. He can throw it faster than Cutler or Favre at times, but he can throw some nice spirals with touch at times. With the ball in his hand, Stafford is an offensive threat. If you haven't seen him play, than you're in for a treat. He has had some bad games but his offensive line was made of freshman and sophmores who were getting abused by Florida and Alabama strong defense. The Lions will fix their line due to the number of picks they have and Stafford will flourish.

Reason #8: We can fix the line and defense after drafting Stafford

We can draft Little Animal or Peria Jerry, nose tackle with Dallas Pick. We can draft Herman Johnson with the second round pick to replace our really bad offensive guards.

We can draft the stud offensive guard from Texas Tech, Louis Vasquez, in the 6th round. We can draft Jarron Gilbert, the defensive end from San Jose State to boost our defensive line. We can improve our lines and still draft Stafford. We also can draft Zack Follett in the third round and Dominique Johnson CB from Jackson state also.

Reason #9: We've never had a good quarterback, maybe that's why we're year round losers

The most important position on the field we never had. We've had some good linemen and running backs. Our fair share of good defensive players, but no QBs. Why not break this trend for once? It's only one pick with many high first round picks coming up so we can draft a good offensive linemen or defensive stud.

Reason #10: Just because Tony Mandarich was a bust, does not mean Miami does not draft Jake Long. The argument holds true for Harrington and Stafford comparisons.

Just because some college player who went 1-3 in the NFL draft does not pan out for the team should not scare another team from drafting that position. It's about scouting the player and knowing for sure he will succeed to fit your team weakness. I've scouted Stafford and know for sure he will improve our quarterback play.

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 01-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i was already on the boat for stafford, but u have stated your case very well and i want to draft him even more now
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, very nice post. Thanks! And welcome to the boards.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 PM    (permalink
ESPforMe
Rookie

ESPforMe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hear you on all that but........ who the f*** is Jack Long?? j/k lol

Personally, I would rather see more focus on the O and D lines but obviously a QB is needed as well. Either way, the Lions will have a top ten pick next year to get someone good so go one way or another.
ESPforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB is the only option barring some post season combine stuff from some defenders or Tackles.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a nice post.

I'm on board with Stafford too.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford is a solid pick #1 overall ... good points. Welcome to the board!

The Lions have Kitna, Dan O, Stanton, Culpepper and Henson still on the roster and all 5 QB's played this year. That's a problem in the NFL. Stafford could bring some consistancy at the position. I do think that an olineman is required (probably 2nd/3rd round like Herman Johnson, Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Ebben Britten, Troy Kropog etc) and then all Defense while building through the draft like Mayhew said today.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You had me at #1.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Stafford is a solid pick #1 overall ... good points. Welcome to the board!

The Lions have Kitna, Dan O, Stanton, Culpepper and Henson still on the roster and all 5 QB's played this year. That's a problem in the NFL. Stafford could bring some consistancy at the position. I do think that an olineman is required (probably 2nd/3rd round like Herman Johnson, Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Ebben Britten, Troy Kropog etc) and then all Defense while building through the draft like Mayhew said today.
Well, Orlovsky is a free agent and I bet he doesn't return.

Stanton is the only lock.

Kitna will be traded or cut.

Culpepper can be let go with no effect on the cap.

Henson will either be the 3rd QB or on the practice squad.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for Stafford. It'd be cool if we went with one side of the ball for the next two picks, too.. Just an example, taking OG Duke Robinson at #20 and then pick up Max Unger with #33.. or just go "huge" and take the 6'7", 350 pound Herman Johnson and 6'8", 330 pound Phil Loadholt.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I'm all for Stafford. It'd be cool if we went with one side of the ball for the next two picks, too.. Just an example, taking OG Duke Robinson at #20 and then pick up Max Unger with #33.. or just go "huge" and take the 6'7", 350 pound Herman Johnson and 6'8", 330 pound Phil Loadholt.
We gave up a billion points this season. We gotta go defense. How about two linebackers instead?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 AM    (permalink
bigredballer
Rookie

bigredballer is a cocksman.bigredballer is a cocksman.bigredballer is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
We gave up a billion points this season. We gotta go defense. How about two linebackers instead?
What two LB's? I think we need to spread it out and improve each level a little bit instead of overloading one. Dline or Secondary need help more than LB in my mind but I would still probably go Laurinaitis then CB with our 2nd and 3rd pick. Then hopefully grab a space eater next...
bigredballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is only one exception to your reasoning. Stafford's ranking for this draft has yet to be determined. I love him, Scott loves him but how does the NFL GM's feel about him, We won't know that until all the juniors have finished declaring and solid leaks start floating around about who the GM's consider the top 5 prospects. If Stafford is among them, I say draft him by all means possible but if he comes out with say a 8-12 rating then I think we have top consider going in a different direction. I think we have to draft a top 5 prospect and not a 6-12 type guy.
However I believe Stafford will be ranked no lower that #2 and if that is the case, we would be incredibly stupid to pass on him.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What if Stafford refuses to be sign with the Lions? Who should we go after.. Especially if Bradford returns, and Andre Smith's suspension hurts him enough to where he thinks he can improve his position by playing his Senior season?

We'd be so screwed!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy New Years to all. I meant Jake Long. After 0-16 season, i am very hopeful for the Lions future. With Stafford in the picture, we really can't get any worse. Drafting Stafford would not make an impact right away, but i feel getting him will get us wins faster than drafting Andre Smith.

Of course i don't know Stafford but from the article written about him, he strikes me as a simple guy who just wants to play football. He does not seem like a playboy type of guy like Jimmy Clausen or Ryan Leaf.

Here's a article on Stafford's background and character:
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...51211076.shtml
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...20949947.shtml

I have a feeling is willing to sign with the Lions from this article:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...d-lousy-lions/

I think he does need some seasoning from a good quarterback coach/offensive coordinator. I pray to God we get better coaches than the one we had last season. It is early and we just need to see how things unfold.

I was a psychology major and love movies so...

William Clay Ford needs to fill up sits. He has lost a lot of fans this year to black outs. Almost 30-40% of the Lions fans have turned on him this year with poor attendance and bags over their heads. The Thanksgiving blow out was a huge embarrassment to Ford in front of an entire nation watching. He will not admit this to anyone of course. He had to stick it out with Rod since no one could replace Rod this season. Ford needs to get the season ticket holder back and Stafford is the man to do it. Ford holds the power. He has the final say. Stafford makes sense when it comes to filling a football need and filling Ford's pocket book. Lions fans will not go to see a short, overweight, left tackle or really is meant to play guard. They will line up an buy tickets to see the first gun slinger to arrive in Detroit in 50 years.

Martin is a guy who wants to prove he is not Matt Millen. He feels he was an assistant and Millen made the final say no matter what Martin felt. Martin may of contributed to this mess, but he has inherited a team lacking talent in almost every single position. He has a bonafide future probowl receiver in Calvin Johnson. The fact that Calvin almost made the probowl starting with the carousel of backup QBs and below average offensive line shows everybody how talented Megatron was. Martin Mayhew is looking for a guy who can throw Calvin passes over and over again with success. He does not want Calvin to leave Detroit. He will make every effort to keep Calvin happy. In drafting Stafford, Martin will have 2 offensive stars. With Stafford success, he will proclaim himself has the next talented young GM.

Sorry, so long winded. Check Yes Man for a good time at the movies. I give it 7/10.

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 12-31-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.astrology-online.com/aquarius.htm

aquarius-stafford born feb 7, 1988-he can't even drink now

The Water Carrier
January 21 to February 19

Traditional
Aquarian Traits

Friendly and humanitarian
Honest and loyal
Original and inventive
Independent and intellectual

On the dark side....

Intractable and contrary
Perverse and unpredictable
Unemotional and detached

hopefully we get a detached killer with a perverse sense in joy at running up the scoreboard. with favre's unpredictability, and contrary to recent history turns the tide for the lions with his intelligent play, all the while contributing to his community.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
http://www.astrology-online.com/aquarius.htm

hopefully we get a detached killer with a perverse sense in joy at running up the scoreboard. with favre's unpredictability, and contrary to recent history turns the tide for the lions with his intelligent play, all the while contributing to his community.
lol nice way of putting that in a positive perspective
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A look the the QBs going to the Playoffs...

Colts - Peyton Manning - Round 1
Chargers - Philip Rivers - Round 1

Ravens - Joe Flacco - Round 1
Dolphins - Chad Pennington - Round 1

Eagles - Donovan McNabb - Round 1
Vikings - Tarvaris Jackson - Round 2

Falcons - Matt Ryan - Round 1
Cards - Kurt Warner - Undrafted

Giants - Eli Manning - Round 1
Panthers - Jake Delhomme - Undrafted
Titans - Kerry Collins - Round 1
Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger - Round 1

This is another reason the Lions should draft Stafford.
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
Sorry, so long winded. Check Yes Man for a good time at the movies. I give it 7/10.
Where'd that come from? Haha.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Where'd that come from? Haha.
I don't know, but I saw that movie last night and I agree with his grade.

It was funny and pretty much what I expected. Slightly above average entertainment.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't know, but I saw that movie last night and I agree with his grade.

It was funny and pretty much what I expected. Slightly above average entertainment.
Go see Slumdog Millionaire. 10/10. Blew me away.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Have fun watching Stafford get murdered, then.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Have fun watching Stafford get murdered, then.
Ah yes, because a rookie Left Tackle is a quick fix to all offensive line problems . . .

I'm not saying don't try and fix the line. And I'm also not a fan of Stafford seeing any significant playing time as a rookie.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ah yes, because a rookie Left Tackle is a quick fix to all offensive line problems . . .

I'm not saying don't try and fix the line. And I'm also not a fan of Stafford seeing any significant playing time as a rookie.

I'd say sit Stafford for most of the first year anyway, and draft a line around him this year, rather than have rookies along the line in the future as he progresses. You know your line is terrible, and needs to be corrected. Why keep the current group and throw in rookies later?
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I'd say sit Stafford for most of the first year anyway, and draft a line around him this year, rather than have rookies along the line in the future as he progresses.
I think the Lions could improve the line significantly if they just upgraded the guards. And that doesn't require a first round pick to do so. Mulitalo and Peterman are horrid. Most anything is an upgrade.

Backus is bad, but I bet he wasn't the lineman who gave up the most sacks this season. He has his lapses, but for the most part, he's solid enough to survive. Improved play among the guys next to him would help too.

The Lions have so many holes they aren't gonna be able to address them all in one offseason. The offensive line has issues, sure. But the defense can't stop ANYONE! We won't win a game next year if the defense isn't infused with some major talent and playmakers. Can't continue to pour all our high draft picks into the offense.