Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
How did Peyton turn the Colts around? He was on the same team when they went 3-4.

Your argument is illogical.
because that team was going nowhere when peyton wasnt playing well (picks and alot of overthrowing the WR'S) and as soon as hes gets on point they dont lose another game.

but anyway who are the other guys you think should of beat him out??
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he can win the Defensive Player of the Year award, I'll go on record as saying he's the best player ever.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
because that team was going nowhere when peyton wasnt playing well (picks and alot of overthrowing the WR'S) and as soon as hes gets on point they dont lose another game.

but anyway who are the other guys you think should of beat him out??
Adrian Peterson, Drew Brees, Chad Pennington.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
Uh huh...and wouldn't that count against him as MVP? The first 7 games of the year all of the sudden don't count?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Dolphins were 1-15 with a different QB last season. I'd say that makes Pennington extremely valuable to that team.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Uh huh...and wouldn't that count against him as MVP? The first 7 games of the year all of the sudden don't count?
Only half seasons count, duh.

Can't say that I'm disappointed, he obviously was one of a couple candidates to deserve it. So, congrats, I guess.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not saying they dont count im just saying after coming off his surgery and not playing well he wins 9 games in a row and it was because of him.
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Bucs147
Rookie

Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
The Dolphins were 1-15 with a different QB last season. I'd say that makes Pennington extremely valuable to that team.
They were also 1-15 with a different LT last season. Does that make Jake Long the MVP ? Come on, the whole team is totally different. It's not like they only change the QB.
Bucs147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have given it to Rivers, but I'm not surprised at all that Manning won it.

I also don't really understand how people say that Pennington deserves it over Manning.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

I wanted AD to win it But Peyton was a good choice.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats to Peyton, well deserved. My hopes are more along the lines of him winning another Super Bowl MVP, but this was well deserved. A lot of good candidates this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Actually 3 different QBs (Trent Green, Cleo Lemon, and John Beck) but who's counting? ;)
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Bucs147
Rookie

Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That said, he deserved it more than Peyton, as did 4-5 other people. Oh well, the media are mindless sheep.
I agree that media are brainless sheep, but there are a lot of arguments to defend the Manning selection. His O-Line was average at best this season, he had no running game and the Colts' D was below average. He was the best QB this season (as always...) and there is no way his team makes the playoffs without him.

Pennington had a great December month playing against poor teams and his team is living a great story, but I just can see how someone can say that he is as valuable to Miami as Manning was for the Colts.
Bucs147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
PMoney18

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
Pennington > Peyton!
First of all, CP wasn't even the fins best player(JoeyPorter). Second, have you even compared there stats. CP has 7 less TDs and 400 less yards, and the fins have SUCH a better running game.
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Of course not. It's the new spin. Peyton is so great because of how his poor play put them in a slump and how his great play pulled them out of it. Instead of punishing him for not being consistent the whole year, it's made into a positive.

I love when he says that there is no bigger turnaround when you have the Falcons who won 4 games all last year and now have 11. The Colts record this year is the same as it is every year in terms of double digit wins.

Michael Turner was at least AS deserving as Peyton Manning as MVP if not winning it outright.

He got screwed because of how much a glory position QB has becom

A mere 4 votes, what a joke
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not gonna say this award is or should be about statistics. but, Peyton Manning and Phil Rivers were both the heart and soul of their respective teams this year. Peyton Manning's stats are good, but unspectactular. Phil Rivers led the league in most significant categories. Again, not saying the MVP should be statistical. but, I think in this case it could've at least served as a decent tie-breaker.

My thoughts (since i know people care what i think:))

1-Phil Rivers
2-Drew Brees
3-Adrian Peterson
4-Michael Turner
5-Chad Pennington
6-DeAngelo Williams
7-Peyton Manning
8-Andre Johnson
9-Kurt Warner
10-James Harrison
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
During the regular season, the Colts went 5-1 against playoff teams and the Titans went 4-1. That makes them the only two teams in the AFC with winning records against playoff teams. Pittsburgh was 3-4, Baltimore was 2-5, Miami was 1-2 and San Diego was 0-5.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
I'm not gonna say this award is or should be about statistics. but, Peyton Manning and Phil Rivers were both the heart and soul of their respective teams this year. Peyton Manning's stats are good, but unspectactular. Phil Rivers led the league in most significant categories. Again, not saying the MVP should be statistical. but, I think in this case it could've at least served as a decent tie-breaker.

My thoughts (since i know people care what i think:))

1-Phil Rivers
2-Drew Brees
3-Adrian Peterson
4-Michael Turner
5-Chad Pennington
6-DeAngelo Williams
7-Peyton Manning
8-Andre Johnson
9-Kurt Warner
10-James Harrison
Michael Turner 4th place?

Are you kidding me?

Adrian Peterson led the league in fumbles. His TD total is not near Turner's either.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How did Peyton turn the Colts around? He was on the same team when they went 3-4.

Your argument is illogical.
This might help you understand. If not, consider that when the Colts were 3-4 Manning had a QB rating of 79.0 with 10 TDs, 9 INTs, and a completion percentage of 61.1% and over their 9 game win streak, Manning has had a QB rating of 109.7 with 17 TDs, 3 INTs, and a completion percentage of 72.1%.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not that I disagree, he deserves the award, but does he just get a free pass on the first 7 games because he missed training camp, so it's ok that he played really poorly and that is a big reason why they were 3-4 and needed him to pull him out of it?

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
Of course not. It's the new spin. Peyton is so great because of how his poor play put them in a slump and how his great play pulled them out of it. Instead of punishing him for not being consistent the whole year, it's made into a positive.

I love when he says that there is no bigger turnaround when you have the Falcons who won 4 games all last year and now have 11. The Colts record this year is the same as it is every year in terms of double digit wins.

Michael Turner was at least AS deserving as Peyton Manning as MVP if not winning it outright.

He got screwed because of how much a glory position QB has becom

A mere 4 votes, what a joke
i wasnt saying that his team had the biggest turnaround from last year im saying no one expected the colts to be 3-4 and as soon as manning gets his groove they win 9 in a row with no running game and barely any def. bob sanders barely played this year so to me manning is the reason they are 12-4 and to me thats a good reason he should be mvp. and turner can be mvp of his team but rivers has a better argument thean turner does. and im not saying any of those guys havent played well this year just saying manning is deserving and thats who i had getting mvp
John Wall
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Not that I disagree, he deserves the award, but does he just get a free pass on the first 7 games because he missed training camp, so it's ok that he played really poorly and that is a big reason why they were 3-4 and needed him to pull him out of it?
he started the season out not so well he just came off surgery and he messes up a couple games and 7 games you dont get excused from because they won 3 of those 7 and like i said and will keep saying when hes not great the team is not good but as soon as he gets going boom they dont lose
John Wall
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I don't think it's so much a "free pass" as it is people taking into consideration that his OL was in flux, his run game was doing nothing, and his knee was bothering him and limiting his offense. Besides, it's the Most Valuable Player, the fact that the Colts struggled when Peyton struggled and succeeded when he succeeded illustrates his value, does it not?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Manning didn't look fully recovered until the Titans MNF game, but if not for him (say Pennington at QB), the team wouldn't have been 3-4. Even obviously gimpy, he helped deliver:

The Comeback in the Metrodome, the Miracle in Houston that no other team has ever accomplished in regulation, and the dismantling of the Ravens at home.

Plus he put the team in position to win the Jacksonville game at home, but the defense and a lame PI call on 4th down let the Jags kick a GW FG at the buzzer.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
Michael Turner 4th place?

Are you kidding me?

Adrian Peterson led the league in fumbles. His TD total is not near Turner's either.
take adrian peterson away and there's no way the vikes make the playoffs.
take michael turner away and matt ryan is a frightened puppy.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the Dolphins started 2-4 and Pennington pulled them around to go 11-5 ! wooootttt

Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 01-02-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote