Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 01-03-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Picking Up the Pieces, or, Quarterback Controversy 2009

As Jerry Angelo has stated, we are bringing in competition for Kyle Orton, despite Orton's having had the 4th best statistical QB season in Bears history.

We all know that he is not going to shell out the cash for Kurt Warner or Kyle Orton's New England clone Matt Cassell, so our options are mostly limited to failed formerly highly-touted QBs. I'm going to do a case study of two of these: Byron Leftwich and David Carr, who were not put in a situation to succeed by their teams.

I'll also do studies of two QBs who WERE put into situations conducive to success: Drew Brees and Jake Delhomme.

One case study will be posted each day.

DAY ONE: BYRON LEFTWICH

-Drafted #7 overall in 2003- second quarterback off the board behind Carson Palmer.
-Prototypical QB size at 6'5", 245 pounds.
-Arm strength rivals that of a young Brett Favre.
-Pocket passer with a little mobility.
-Accurate.
-When younger, ran like a fullback (think Tim Tebow); as a result, had nagging injuries, mostly to his ankles.
-Excellent locker room presence.
-Sometimes forces passes into coverage.
-Poor mechanics; slow delivery.
-Limited scrambling ability results in a number of sacks.

Byron Leftwich is a QB who needs a stout line to give him time and receivers who can get open deep. Byron doesn't make things happen; he only delivers the ball where it is supposed to go. Naturally, Jacksonville drafted him into the wrong situation. In 2003, Jacksonville was, as now, a run-first team. It had no real deep threat on the roster. In fact, the only Jacksonville receiver of note during Leftwich's tenure was Jimmy Smith, who was 34 at the time Leftwich was drafted. Smith was an excellent up-the-middle possession receiver who aged well; at no time in his career was he able to get deep. This fit David Garrard, who was drafted to be the Jaguar's QB of the future only one year prior to Leftwich. Garrard was Tom Coughlin's boy, and Coughlin was fired one year later. His successor, Jack Del Rio, felt that he needed his own QB, so he took Leftwich. This was the perfect recipe for a career-long QB controversy.

Leftwich took over as the Jaguars starter during his rookie season due to a Mark Brunell injury. He had an average NFL QB rookie season: 2800 yards, 14 TD, 16 INT, and a 73 rating. His 2004 season showed the improvement one would expect: 2900 yards, 15 TD, 16 INT, and an 82 rating. Leftwich had officially become an average NFL starter. In 11 games in 2005, he became a good starter: 2100 yards, 15 TD, 5 INT, and an 89 rating. Unfortunately, his ankle was broken and he missed the rest of his breakout season. Garrard took over and had an average end to the season, reinforcing his stock. At the end of 2005, Jimmy Smith retired, leaving the Jaguars with no established threats at WR. Leftwich began the 2006 season looking decidedly average. In week 6, he again injured the ankle, resulting in a few weeks on the bench recovering, follwed by a season-ending trip to IR. Garrard took over and did no better; Jacksonville still had no one for its QBs to throw to. Leftwich had a mediocre preseason while his backup played at a previously-unseen level. Jack Del Rio decided that it was time to go all in with one of his QBs. He chose David Garrard and held a press conference announcing that Leftwich would be traded or cut due to his injury history. The cut came September 1.

Byron signed as Atlanta's backup on September 17. He didn't get a start until week 7. He had a good game, despite only being in for 23 pass plays before coming out with yet another ankle injury; he put up a 97 rating on the Saints. He came back in week 11 and struggled against Tampa Bay, visibly favoring the ankle. He never got another shot at the starting job.

The Steelers signed Leftwich to back up Ben Roethlisberger in 2008. He's seen limited, but successful, action; 36 attempts for 303 yards and 2 TDs with no INTs and a 104 rating.

Byron Leftwich has shown that when healthy, he can be a successful NFL quarterback. If provided with a line, a good possession receiver, and a deep threat, he could have an explosive breakout a la Matt cassell. He is a perfect candidate to compete for the Bears position, as the Bears are short only the possession receiver, a guard, and a tackle. Had he been on the Bears in 2005 and 2006 when they had all of the pieces, there's no telling how far the team would have gotten in the playoffs. Leftwich is only 28. It's not quite time to give up on him yet.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess im the only one who doesnt care who are backup QB will be. Id prefer we draft a QB. I hope we bring in Freeman in the 2nd.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
I guess im the only one who doesnt care who are backup QB will be. Id prefer we draft a QB. I hope we bring in Freeman in the 2nd.
Not I. Freeman is going to be a giant bust. Have you actually seen any of his games?

He's nothing but measurables.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Not I. Freeman is going to be a giant bust. Have you actually seen any of his games?

He's nothing but measurables.
He has mucho upside. He also plays on a terrible team. I didnt think he would but he is smart to come out. He reminds me of Flacco. If you give him time he can make the throws. He brings so much to the table as a prospect. I'm not totally concerened about his deep accuracy seeing how Orton is our QB.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
He has mucho upside.
Translation: He can throw a football really far in a general direction.

Quote:
He also plays on a terrible team.
Until this year, he had an early second round receiver to throw to.

Quote:
If you give him time he can make the throws.
This describes every QB in the world with a good arm.

Quote:
He brings so much to the table as a prospect.
Like bad accuracy, bad decision-making, and disappearing every time he faces actual competition.

Quote:
I'm not totally concerened about his deep accuracy seeing how Orton is our QB.
Orton has good accuracy in the short and intermediate area, just like when he was in college. Freeman doesn't. So you want a guy with Orton's problems and not his assets?

If Josh Freeman were a 4th rounder, I'd love him. Blowing a 2nd rounder on a developmental QB miles away from the NFL with a questionable head would make me want to vomit.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couldn't this have been put in the thread we already have about the quarterback position in 2009?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

I'm an Orton fan. I think he has the tools.

Competition is nice, but knowing the team is behind you/has confidence in you is probably better for him.

In short, no washed-up camp bodies at the QB position.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
shady00
Rookie

shady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I have a feeling it will be Kitna. It looks like we're bringing in Marinelli, and JA talked about old veteran QB's careers being revived.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady00 View Post
I have a feeling it will be Kitna. It looks like we're bringing in Marinelli, and JA talked about old veteran QB's careers being revived.
I remember this one time, when Kitna had a good season...:D

That would be a very short competition. I wouldn't feel so hot about him coming in off the bench if Orton got hurt, though.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM    (permalink
HeavyLeggedWaistBender
Veteran

HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HeavyLeggedWaistBender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kitna (God willing) will stay in Detroilet.

I was just thinking of leftwich, hes looked awesome in Pittsburg. You gotta think maybe the lights come on for him...He has had terrible situations with his first 2 teams, maybe getting time to sit and learn the position better has helped him (instead of the pressure of 7th overall-then being thrown into Hotlanta waaay too soon)
HeavyLeggedWaistBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

I don't think anyone actually cared enough for me to go on.

Anyway, on to the point: Free agent QBs Leftwich and Carr were classic examples of early picks set up to fail. With the right supporting cast, they may be salvageable. In the case of David Carr, that is if he isn't still shellshocked from the 4307 sacks he took in Houston.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLeggedWaistBender View Post
Kitna (God willing) will stay in Detroilet.
not a chance. he will go wherever martz goes. if that's to university of japan. thats where.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is only so much money and so many draft picks to go around; I don't see the logic in spending it on a QB that isn't going to help the team any more than Orton will. If a franchise guy falls into our laps at #17/18, sure, take him (Mark Sanchez please), but a second rounder on Josh Freeman? Really? Instead of a DE or FS that can start or make an impact from day one? Or to blow FA money on another Griese? I just don't see the logic in that. Sign a cheap veteran QB, or take one in the fourth round or lower, label it a "competition" if you must, and be done with it.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Not that many 2nd rounders start from day 1. We werent even going to start Forte until we cut Benson.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not that many 2nd rounders start from day 1. We werent even going to start Forte until we cut Benson.
Turns out to be a huge mistake now. Look what benson is doing in Cincy... *snickers*

Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Turns out to be a huge mistake now. Look what benson is doing in Cincy... *snickers*
He is playing well. I had a feeling he would. He obviously never would have been anything here. I think we should bring in a bruiser like Lamont Jordan.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Rush23Hester

I am fine with Orton as our Quarterback, give him some weapons and better playcalling and he'll be just dandy
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A guy I like who will be a FA I believe is Charlie Batch. Very nice backup for years in Pittsburgh and he always performed well when stepping in for Ben.

Personally, here's how I'd like to address the QB situation.

Have Orton take all of the first team reps he can get throughout camp and the preseason. Have him work on his deep ball and get totally used to being with the first team. (something he didn't get last season competing with Rexy.)

Then, I'd like to sign a veteran backup like Batch and draft a late round guy like a Graham Harrell or someone along those lines.....Let the veteran, rookie and Hanie battle it out of the 2 and 3 spots. Cut the third place loser.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
A guy I like who will be a FA I believe is Charlie Batch. Very nice backup for years in Pittsburgh and he always performed well when stepping in for Ben.

Personally, here's how I'd like to address the QB situation.

Have Orton take all of the first team reps he can get throughout camp and the preseason. Have him work on his deep ball and get totally used to being with the first team. (something he didn't get last season competing with Rexy.)

Then, I'd like to sign a veteran backup like Batch and draft a late round guy like a Graham Harrell or someone along those lines.....Let the veteran, rookie and Hanie battle it out of the 2 and 3 spots. Cut the third place loser.
Speaking of Lefty.

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...side12.article
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
Speaking of Lefty.

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...side12.article
Yeah I saw that today on PFT. As nothing more than a backup I wouldn't care an awful lot. Would prefer Batch but eh, Leftwich would be alright I guess.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Yeah I saw that today on PFT. As nothing more than a backup I wouldn't care an awful lot. Would prefer Batch but eh, Leftwich would be alright I guess.
I wouldn't mind it either but I'd hope Angelo followed his statements he made about us needing a capable quarterback. I'm sticking to my dreams that he looks for someone ala McNabb personally.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
thecoolest
Rookie

thecoolest hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

One guy I've had my eye on is Luke McCown. He’s been the Bucs backup for a few years now, but it seems that he’s not in their future plans. I've never watched him play more than a quarter, but the numbers he put up in 07 when he started 3 games were very promising:

5 G 3 GS 94 Comp 139 Att 67.6 Pct 1,009 Yds 7.3 Avg 5 TD 3 INT 15 Sck 104 Scky 91.7 Rate

Even if he doesn’t work out, he still has experience as a backup. He’s one guy I’ve been looking at for a long time, and I doubt it’ll take more than a mid round pick to pry him away.
thecoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

bret basanez...

lol

Old 02-15-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Red_BearSkins
Rookie

Red_BearSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm completely happy with Orton at #1 and Hanie at #2. Orton showed a lot of improvement this year, and was playing great before the ankle injury. Grossman had to play, sucked balls, so we rushed Orton back before his ankle was ready. It's kinda hard to escape pressure and throw on the run when your ankle is taped like a grapefruit. If the defense didn't blow donkey nuts, Orton would have had some nice game-winners.

Remember the Atlanta game where Orton threw that clutch pass to Rashied Davis in the endzone? If the defense didn't let the Falcons score in only 14 seconds, Orton would have had that game-winning drive, and we'd have been in the playoffs.

This is a weak QB class, just cause Sanchez is the 2nd best QB in the draft doesn't make him a future franchise guy. If Sanchez was in next years draft he probably wouldn't be in the first round.

Bears football is defense and running the ball, we have other needs, like fixing our shittacular pass defense than wasting a 1st day pick on an overhyped Sanchez, or a developmental Freeman.

P.S. Luke McCown just signed like a 2 year 7 million deal with the Bucs, he's out.
Red_BearSkins is offline   Reply With Quote