Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.
Default Matt Barkley - Under Armour Skills Competition

Did you guys watch the UA skills competition? Barkley had without a doubt the most accurate arm as well as the strongest. The competition involved moving targets which the QBs had to hit at various distances, topped off with a final throw to see how far each QB could chuck it. Barkley went last and put on a show. You could feel the crowd buzzing after his first throw, as if it was becoming obvious who the best arm was.

Guy just has more zip on his throws than everyone else. He threw absolute lasers that were right on target. His deep ball went about 15 yards farther than the runner up.

Not to bag on the other QBs, but I'm positive now that Barkley is the best QB from a talent standpoint. He might not have the best stats, but as a prospect he's the total package: great mechanics, quick release, NFL arm strength, amazing accuracy, throws tight spirals, has proper footwork. No other High School QB has his combination of fundamentals as accuracy/arm strength.

The Trojans are set at QB for a long time, regardless of whether or not Sanchez comes back (but I hope he does).

That being said, here's what else I saw: Garrett Gilbert and Richard Brehaut looked to be promising as well. Gilbert is a legit 6'4 and he'll grow into a big QB that could some day develop the arm strength that Barkley has. Brehaut I believe was the 2nd most accurate with the moving targets.

Russell Shepard has a long way to go to become a true passing QB. He couldn't throw the ball on a rope, often underthrowing the targets and his deep ball didn't stay in the field of play, much less go very far. This isn't necessary an insult, but he's pretty much a Pat White clone.

Last edited by Jericho@SC : 01-03-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

OK....

I didn't see the competition but I will take the "experts" word on the QB's.

They said Barkley wasn't even the most impressive in drills and practice this week.

not saying you are wrong or anything.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alot of high expectations for Garrett Gilbert and alot of people expect him to do some big things here at Texas...He's already got the body of a developed QB something that Colt had to work to get, I read he was measured at 6'5 211 and he should fill out into hsi frame, as well as being elusive in the pocket.

He's not a great runner and his arm strength will be a question at first, but he's very accurate and I think he can command our offense, although he doesn't provide the versatility Colt or VY did so we may see more of a Chris Simms ran offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 01-04-2009 at 10:59 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets see how Barkley does when the pads come on. EJ Manuel did bad in the skills challenge last year and played pretty well in the game and he dropped to a 4*. Lets not crown him the best just from a skills challenge.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

'Tis a shame Barkley doesn't want to come to UT and start right away....
Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell Sheppard will have a hard time being a QB for the Tigers, Jefferson has a pretty firm grip on that position I would think. Plus sub 50% completion in highschool won't cut it.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll bet big money that Gilbert will be the most effective in college. Barkley may be the best pro prospect with the best tools, but that's not what's causing him problems. His mental game and decision making are what hurt his play.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 to ATL View Post
OK....

I didn't see the competition but I will take the "experts" word on the QB's.

They said Barkley wasn't even the most impressive in drills and practice this week.

not saying you are wrong or anything.

Hey, I never said I was an "expert" just pointing out that Barkley had the best showing in the skills competition. He scored the most points hitting moving targets, and threw the farthest out of all of them. That's a fact.

It's pretty much a consensus that Barkley has the strongest arm, that day he also showed that he's pretty damn accurate to go along with it.

And sure, it's a different game with the pads on, that's obvious. These kinds of competitions do have their merit, instead of looking at film from far away, you can see up close at eye level how well a QB can deliver a football to a target.

My point is that from a throwing the football standpoint, Barkley looked like he's ahead of all the other QBs. I think that's hard to argue for anyone who saw the competition.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I'll bet big money that Gilbert will be the most effective in college. Barkley may be the best pro prospect with the best tools, but that's not what's causing him problems. His mental game and decision making are what hurt his play.
You won't be the most efficient QB without a good line that keeps you from getting pressured and good receivers to catch the ball and get open. Rest assured, Barkley will have plenty of time to throw the football at 'SC, and he'll have no shortage of talent at WR.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barkley is the truth, we'll be hearing about Heisman talk in a couple of years.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tate Forcier > everyone.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since we are talking college QBs in this thread, I'll go ahead and say that Tom Savage is my favorite. I really, really like this kid's arm. I remember when I first saw his JR. year highlights when he was getting a lot of hype already, I was blown away and then was flabbergasted when the rankings came out and he wasn't the #1 overall recruit. I'd put good money on him having an excellent college career.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
RUSF18
Rookie

RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.RUSF18 could make a wolverine purr.

We're very happy to have him at Rutgers :).
RUSF18 is offline   Reply With Quote