Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-05-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
Round 1: Matt Stafford QB
Round 1: Peria Jerry LT
(or Brandon Spikes if he slips over Jerry)
(or Duke Robinson if Jerry gone)
(or Little Animal if Jerry gone)
Round 2: Alphonso Smith CB
(or Herman Johnson OG if Smith is gone)
Round 3: Zack Follet OLB
Round 3: Trevor Canfield OG
Round 5: Jarron Gibert DT/DE
Round 6: Sammie Stroughter WR
Round 6: Louis Vasquez OG
Round 7: Darius Hill TE
This makes sense to me...

Depending on where Victor Harris grades out I would take him in the third. However I have a feeling that he will be gone in the second. That would allow us to address another need with the second round pick..
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What positions do you guys think will be easiest to address in Free Agency?

I feel like we could legitimately get an OG and maybe a CB without too much trouble. But positions like DT and MLB will have to wait until the draft to address.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post

I feel like we could legitimately get an OG and maybe a CB without too much trouble. But positions like DT and MLB will have to wait until the draft to address.
i agree we definitly should look for OG in FA. CB would be a little harder but depending on our defensive scheme we should be able to get decent talent.

Id also say back up RB and possibly WR
Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I am definitely in favor of getting a backup RB in Free Agency. Or at least taking a chance on a veteran guy. With Darren Sproles stealing the spotlight in the Wildcard round I think that ends my hopes of signing him.

Wide Receiver? I think Nate Washington is a free agent to be. He's not really a starter, but I have always been impressed by him in Pittsburgh. I think we just need another guy to compliment CJ.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FA Leonard Pope

1. Stafford/Bradford/Sanchez
1a. BJ Raji - Raji isn't falling past round 1 where as JL will none of the bottom 12 teams really need a ILB in the first round
2. Lil Animal/Spikes/ best ILB available.
3. Sherrod Martin/Best OG available
3a. Best CB/Best OG available

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Last edited by Brothgar : 01-05-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I will say this, if for whatever reason the Lions aren't enamored by Stafford, at least there are alternatives at QB to look at. Perhaps they could bait another team into moving up to #1 and still get Bradford/Sanchez and additional picks.

It's not what I want because I like Stafford best, but additional picks is a nice thought.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

No I think DT will be easy to address ;-)
Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
No I think DT will be easy to address ;-)
Haynesworth?

Damn I wish we'd have traded for Kris Jenkins!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We don't have a 7th rounder. It was traded to Dallas in the Roy Williams trade.

Though we might get a compensatory pick after losing Damien Woody last offseason.
Yeah, I thought when it said 2009 7th it meant NEXT years 7th.

And yeah, I've read that we will get a compensatory pick because we lost more in FA then we gained.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I will say this, if for whatever reason the Lions aren't enamored by Stafford, at least there are alternatives at QB to look at. Perhaps they could bait another team into moving up to #1 and still get Bradford/Sanchez and additional picks.

It's not what I want because I like Stafford best, but additional picks is a nice thought.
I love me some additional picks.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
1 - Matt Stafford QB (UGA)
20 - Brandon Spikes ILB (FU)
33 - Greg Hardy DE (Ol Miss)
65 - Ron Brace DT (BC)
84 - Domonique Johnson CB (Jackson St)
5th - Bear Pascoe TE (Fresno St)
6th - Lydell Sargeant CB (PSU)
6th - probably not a roster spot for him ...
I like this draft but that is only if we don't sign a OG. This looks like a complete overhaul of our D.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Haynesworth?

Damn I wish we'd have traded for Kris Jenkins!
I really do wish we would go after a DT. That would help out a lot considering they usually take a little while to develop.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I love me some additional picks.
Wingy, I think you need a new sig. Marinara is out, haven't you heard?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wingy, I think you need a new sig. Marinara is out, haven't you heard?
I still do believe in the invisible.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I still do believe in the invisible.
I read an article the other day of the top 25 sports quotes of the year. Marinelli had 5 of them. I forget where I read it now though . . .
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I read an article the other day of the top 25 sports quotes of the year. Marinelli had 5 of them. I forget where I read it now though . . .
Gimme gimme gimme. You'll find it, you just gotta keep shoveling.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Gimme gimme gimme. You'll find it, you just gotta keep shoveling.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...1&sportCat=nfl

I feel like an enabler.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

This is a thought I toyed with in one of my early mocks, but seeing how badly you guys finished the season I think it's painfully obvious that this rebuild is going to take a long time, so if you do grab Matt Stafford first overall and a Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher slips to your second first do you think it would make sense to go all O in the first. I'm playing around with a mock and I've got you guys grabbing Stafford, Monroe, Knowshon Moreno and Max Unger on the first day, you guys traded back at the start of the second due to me not liking the defenders available at that point and Knowshon just kept falling. Through the trade back you also got a late second rounder which is where Unger fits in.

Now I know your defense doesn't exist, but this is a multi-year rebuild. Which is why I think you guys might focus on quickly building up a potential offense around Megatron this year, letting them grow together and develop chemistry, while finding stop-gap FAs to hold down the fort, sorta, in the meantime.

On day two i'd imagine you guys would find some role players on D for whatever scheme you end up running and would finding the studs that make that D work next year.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we only have one solid RB and we only have a #1 WR why is it a stretch to take players who would start or alternate with any selection. This is one of the biggest problems here. We do not have to fill obvious holes by drafting players to fit. We draft good players everywhere and fill holes when possible. Just a thought regarding Jennings and Robiske.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
This is a thought I toyed with in one of my early mocks, but seeing how badly you guys finished the season I think it's painfully obvious that this rebuild is going to take a long time, so if you do grab Matt Stafford first overall and a Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher slips to your second first do you think it would make sense to go all O in the first. I'm playing around with a mock and I've got you guys grabbing Stafford, Monroe, Knowshon Moreno and Max Unger on the first day, you guys traded back at the start of the second due to me not liking the defenders available at that point and Knowshon just kept falling. Through the trade back you also got a late second rounder which is where Unger fits in.

Now I know your defense doesn't exist, but this is a multi-year rebuild. Which is why I think you guys might focus on quickly building up a potential offense around Megatron this year, letting them grow together and develop chemistry, while finding stop-gap FAs to hold down the fort, sorta, in the meantime.

On day two i'd imagine you guys would find some role players on D for whatever scheme you end up running and would finding the studs that make that D work next year.
This isn't a very likely scenario. I agree that drafting Stafford at #1 is reasonable but as a junior QB, he likely won't see the field for a whole year. Monroe isn't going to be there at #20, maybe Oher but not Monroe. It is also doubtful Unger falls to round 2. Either way Detroit which by far has the worst defense in the NFL won't need to protect Stafford for another year so we could build the OL next year and go defense this year. We currently play a Cover 2 defense and there are a lot of tweeners in this year's draft who can rush the passer so our 2nd 1st rounder could be a DE or a MLB. We are desperate at both of those positions.
I don't see any way we ignore the defense and just draft offense on Day 1. Our defense is far more desperate than our offense and we will draft accordingly.
That being said, we don't know what kind of GM Mayhew is, he could be average or he could be Millen 2, then all bets are off. We also don't know who our HC is going to be and what defensive system we will be in, hence predicting our draft is just about impossible at this point.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

IAC, I wanna see a mock from you.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First crack at this. This will change 1,000 times depending on my mood. Well Stafford will stay the same most likely.

Pick 1 Matt Stafford (canon arm, franchise QB, great production, let's play the bastard, provided we get some Oline)
Pick 20: BJ Raji NT(run stuffer, gave up 171 yds/game on ground last year, 31st ranked team was 159 yds/game. Not even close)
Pick 33: Mike Mickens CB(for some reason I see all the ILBs gone, and we could really use a corner. Depends on Bodden, but I'm sick of Travis Fisher.
Pick 65: Trevor Canfield Guard. Interior of line needs overhaul. Canfield or Herman "Munster" Johnson
Pick 86: ILB Jasper Brinkley. Mayhew said get bigger, he's bigger but of course everyone is bigger than Dizon. Since we miss out on ILB in Round 2.
5th round: TE
6th: BPA Oline or Dline
6th: KR/WR, yes we still need a KR

Free agents:
Mike Goff 2-3 year deal
Bobby Engram 1-2 year deal(some sort of possession receiver across from Calvin other than the Martz midgets of McDonald and Furrey).
Best MLB we can find.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
This isn't a very likely scenario. I agree that drafting Stafford at #1 is reasonable but as a junior QB, he likely won't see the field for a whole year. Monroe isn't going to be there at #20, maybe Oher but not Monroe. It is also doubtful Unger falls to round 2. Either way Detroit which by far has the worst defense in the NFL won't need to protect Stafford for another year so we could build the OL next year and go defense this year. We currently play a Cover 2 defense and there are a lot of tweeners in this year's draft who can rush the passer so our 2nd 1st rounder could be a DE or a MLB. We are desperate at both of those positions.
I don't see any way we ignore the defense and just draft offense on Day 1. Our defense is far more desperate than our offense and we will draft accordingly.
That being said, we don't know what kind of GM Mayhew is, he could be average or he could be Millen 2, then all bets are off. We also don't know who our HC is going to be and what defensive system we will be in, hence predicting our draft is just about impossible at this point.
I'm not that high on unger as others which is why he fell.

Stafford may be a junior but he's got more starts under his belt than guys like Flacco who've started as rookies. Plus he's a kid who's used to playing behind a mediocre oline against fast defenses. Of all the QBs in this draft I think Stafford's the only one who could start as a rookie.

Monroe and Oher and the two top OTs I could see falling, I just like Oher a little more which is why Monroe's the one to fall in my mock.

As for your D i understand how atrocious it is, the problem is that your team is so bad that you have holes everywhere so I think you guys should just grab the BPA at any position other than WR.

Since we still don't know who your HC is going to be and what D your going to run I didn't want to give you guys more tweeners who'd be limited by scheme.

I don't think this is a likely scenario, since as you said monroe almost definitely won't drop to 20 and Unger to late round 2, but I just thought it was an interesting scenario that could work out very well for you guys since at some point you guys will have to develop a strength, and getting a bunch of talent that'll play together and grow together is a good way to develop that strength.

I just feel like since you guys are going to suck anyway and have so little talent that going BPA and putting players together who'll help each other develop is a good idea.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
First crack at this. This will change 1,000 times depending on my mood. Well Stafford will stay the same most likely.

Pick 1 Matt Stafford (canon arm, franchise QB, great production, let's play the bastard, provided we get some Oline)
Pick 20: BJ Raji NT(run stuffer, gave up 171 yds/game on ground last year, 31st ranked team was 159 yds/game. Not even close)
Pick 33: Mike Mickens CB(for some reason I see all the ILBs gone, and we could really use a corner. Depends on Bodden, but I'm sick of Travis Fisher.
Pick 65: Trevor Canfield Guard. Interior of line needs overhaul. Canfield or Herman "Munster" Johnson
Pick 86: ILB Jasper Brinkley. Mayhew said get bigger, he's bigger but of course everyone is bigger than Dizon. Since we miss out on ILB in Round 2.
5th round: TE
6th: BPA Oline or Dline
6th: KR/WR, yes we still need a KR

Free agents:
Mike Goff 2-3 year deal
Bobby Engram 1-2 year deal(some sort of possession receiver across from Calvin other than the Martz midgets of McDonald and Furrey).
Best MLB we can find.
I like the looks of this. Bobby Engram is a name I like at the WR position. Short-term solution but a guy who compliments CJ.

Obviously Stafford and Rahi are targets of mine as well, so I'd be ecstatic.

I'd say skip drafting a Tight End, however, and get a young WR/CB who can also return kicks. For me, Tight End is just a luxury pick, and the Lions are in no position to be taking those guys.

I like the Brinkley pick too. He was highly regarded before that injury. Maybe he can recover his value with us. Worth a shot.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post

i dont like this idea at all to be honest. If Oher or Monroe or any of the top 4 OTs then i would take them at 20 but i would still adress DT or ILB at 33 alond with defense in the third.