Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default As predicted, Matt Cassel tagged.

New England will place the franchise tag on Matt Cassel.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

Now that we're ruled out the possibility of signing him, is there anyone still not on-board the Matt Stafford bandwaggon?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
Haha

OK, Anyone think we should not take a QB #1?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm on board with Matt Stafford now.

Matt Stafford with no. 1 and Eben Britton with no. 20 would be a great start at rebuilding for you guys.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I'm on board with Matt Stafford now.

Matt Stafford with no. 1 and Eben Britton with no. 20 would be a great start at rebuilding for you guys.
I am amazed at the number of people who give us a QB/OT combo in Round 1. People must realize how severely terrible our defense is, right?

Gotta go defense at 20.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I am amazed at the number of people who give us a QB/OT combo in Round 1. People must realize how severely terrible our defense is, right?

Gotta go defense at 20.
I mean we need everything soooooooooooooooooo....

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Gotta go defense at 20.
Yeah, you don't need an actual lineman to protect the blindside of the QB you'd be giving millions of dollars to.

I am amazed at the number of people who think you can successfully develop a QB when you have a **** OLine.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Hire Mike Mularkey
2. Draft Matthew Stafford #1
3. Draft BJ Raji #20
4. Draft Troy Kropog #33

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Last edited by princefielder28 : 01-04-2009 at 12:42 PM.
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our offense can put up points.. our defense is horrendous.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, you don't need an actual lineman to protect the blindside of the QB you'd be giving millions of dollars to.

I am amazed at the number of people who think you can successfully develop a QB when you have a **** OLine.
I don't think we're gonna neglect to address the Offensive Line. And I would hope Stafford doesn't start from Day One anyways.

But what exactly the difference between Britton and any of the next tier of OT's that could be had later?

Gosder will get better. Backus isn't as horrible as commonly perceived. He's not good, but he's about league average. Let's improve the offensive guards first. They are truly horrid.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

You're not going to turn around the whole team in one year. The Dolphins are the exception, not the rule.

Get what is hopefully your franchise QB and LT in round 1, and then go BPA from there on out.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

A rookie Left Tackle won't be any better than Backus. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
You're not going to turn around the whole team in one year. The Dolphins are the exception, not the rule.

Get what is hopefully your franchise QB and LT in round 1, and then go BPA from there on out.
I would just hope that after 8 years of Matt Millen not drafting defensive talent things would change. Ernie Sims is the only 1st round pick Millen used on defense. Before that, I believe the last defender we took in the first was Chris Claiborne.

If this is a long rebuilding process, then I would prefer to at least be able to tolerate watching our defense once in a while. Cause right now it just makes me cringe.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is the key right here. We need upgrades on our OL but I think we have more problems with the OGs then the OT. And the fact there won't be as much of a premium price on upgrading them.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

You guys need to switch to a 3-4 D. You'd be like the 3rd or 4th team in the NFC to run some version of it, and quite frankly, your D needs a complete overhaul.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
You guys need to switch to a 3-4 D. You'd be like the 3rd or 4th team in the NFC to run some version of it, and quite frankly, your D needs a complete overhaul.
I am not opposed to this. I like the thought of being the only team in the North to run it.

And we actually have some pieces that would fit into the scheme. Redding, IAF, Avril . . .
Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:

I disagree, I think a rookie LT very easily can be better than Backus. Especially if we slide Backus to LG and he does ok. In the past few drafts there have been several LTs that are better than Backus: Jake Long, Clady, Albert, Joe Thomas, McNeil, Brickhouse, etc.

Now I'm not saying that we should draft a QB/LT combo in the first, but I think that a good rookie LT will improve our O and our team.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

The first tier of OT's might be better than Backus. But beyond Andre, Jason Smith, Oher, and Monroe, I just don't think it's significant enough of an upgrade over Backus compared to any defensive player over what we've got there.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
This is the key right here. We need upgrades on our OL but I think we have more problems with the OGs then the OT. And the fact there won't be as much of a premium price on upgrading them.
But, by upgrading our LT should also upgrade our LG. That being said I definately wouldnt mind if we got Mack to play OG for a yr or 2 then moved to C
Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Lions should take a QB #1, assuming one who is worth the #1 pick declares, and then take the best defender or O-lineman at #20. Whichever is not taken can be addressed at the top of the 2nd. It's not like there's really that much difference in pick 20 and pick 33. Free agency will play a big part in determining what the Lions do. The Patriots may be trying to trade Cassel and tagging him to prevent losing him for nothing.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quick question:

Who is better? Backus or Edwin Mulitalo?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still prefer Sanchez.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
AkiliSmith
Veteran

AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about:
1. Stafford
20. Raji
33. Unger
65. Best available ILB, SS or CB
AkiliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

unless Oher Monroe or Smith fall to 20 (which i highly doubt) we need to adress defense. DT is a huge need along with MLB. We should adress these two positions at 20 and 33. In the 3rd we can draft OG and sign a veteran OG in FA. Upgrading OG is big and can help Backus Perform. If backus still fails we can adress OT next year where im hoping stafford will not play a game until his second year.

We can not forget about our defense because we are drafting QB #1. OG is the worst position on our Oline so we will upgrade the line but our defens eis so bad we need to adress it.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
unless Oher Monroe or Smith fall to 20 (which i highly doubt) we need to adress defense. DT is a huge need along with MLB. We should adress these two positions at 20 and 33. In the 3rd we can draft OG and sign a veteran OG in FA. Upgrading OG is big and can help Backus Perform. If backus still fails we can adress OT next year where im hoping stafford will not play a game until his second year.

We can not forget about our defense because we are drafting QB #1. OG is the worst position on our Oline so we will upgrade the line but our defens eis so bad we need to adress it.
I like this idea. Don't look OT unless someone falls out of the sky. If someone like Oher, Monroe or Smith is there..... we'd be idiots to pass on them. We got 2-4 years to build so if we have the oppurtunity to take someone that will solve a problem we have, we need to use it.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08