Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who was the best coach of the Matt Millen era?
Marty Mornhinweg 3 10.34%
Steve Mariucci 19 65.52%
Rod Marinelli 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best Head Coach of the Millen era?

Who was the best coach of the Matt Millen era?

And if you had to choose, which one would you choose to return as Head Coach?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Mooch back. He never seemed to make any really dumb decisions.. not that I remember anyways. Nothing comparable to taking the wind in OT.. and he doesn't believe in the invisible.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rod couldn't handle the most basic in-game management duties of a HC.

Marty took the wind in an OT game.

I think it's Mooch by default.

I do think Mornhinweg is the only guy who will get another NFL Head Coaching job though. He's working his was back after his disaterous Detroit campaign 6 years ago.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with Mooch too. He wins [loses?] by default.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mariucci was actually... normal. The others seemed to be a few prawns short of a galaxy.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a prawn...... so uhhhhhh.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post

Don't you watch the Simpsons?? You herb!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post

that's not just any prawn that is the insane prawn (check him out on weeble stuff.com)

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though Morningweg made the stupidest decision in coaching history, I think he was the best overall.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mooch was the first to realize Harrington wasn't the answer and he brought in Garcia to replace him. Who knows what happens if Garcia wasn't injured all season. Mooch had a winning record at San Fran and I think he is a very decent HC, but he simply couldn't keep it going with the players Millen was providing him with.
Mooch was the only HC who we had who actually fought with Millen over players and that is why Millen hired Marinelli, the good soldier to replace him. Millen realized Marinelli wouldn't question his moves and would accept whatever Millen threw his way.
There is no doubt in my mind that Mooch would have kept Detroit as at least a decent franchise but there was still no way he could have produced a winner with Millen as his GM. Nobody was going to be successful under an incompetent GM like Millen no matter how good a HC he was.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Mooch was the first to realize Harrington wasn't the answer and he brought in Garcia to replace him. Who knows what happens if Garcia wasn't injured all season. Mooch had a winning record at San Fran and I think he is a very decent HC, but he simply couldn't keep it going with the players Millen was providing him with.
Mooch was the only HC who we had who actually fought with Millen over players and that is why Millen hired Marinelli, the good soldier to replace him. Millen realized Marinelli wouldn't question his moves and would accept whatever Millen threw his way.
There is no doubt in my mind that Mooch would have kept Detroit as at least a decent franchise but there was still no way he could have produced a winner with Millen as his GM. Nobody was going to be successful under an incompetent GM like Millen no matter how good a HC he was.
my question is why hasn't Mooch been picked up even as a Co for any other squad? I mean Rod is even being looked at as a DC or DL coach.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

at least Mooch seemed to have kept his sanity throughout.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Even though Morningweg made the stupidest decision in coaching history, I think he was the best overall.
Agreed. He is doing well with the Eagles too.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I don't think Mooch has gotten another job yet because the Wet Toast Offense is dying off.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

He might make more money doing TV than he would as a Coordinator.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I'd take Mooch back. He never seemed to make any really dumb decisions.. not that I remember anyways. Nothing comparable to taking the wind in OT.. and he doesn't believe in the invisible.
We'll see who is laughing when the invisible becomes visible to the rest of you mortals.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
We'll see who is laughing when the invisible becomes visible to the rest of you mortals.
Marinelli is supposed to be an exceptional D-Line coach, and spent most of his time at Lions practice with the D-Line, and yet our D-Line was horrible and no one stood out in any way.

I know he's had success in Tampa, but he didn't excel at anything in Detroit. Even his supposed specialty.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
just wait til you bring simeon rice and warren sapp out of retirement
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Scientist McKnowitall
Rookie

Scientist McKnowitall hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Scientist McKnowitall hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Gary Moeller was the best coach Millen ever had, in fact with his 4-3 record he's the best coach the Lions have had in 30 some years.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
just wait til you bring simeon rice and warren sapp out of retirement
He'll also be trying to get Chicago to trade for all the ex-Bucs turned Lions.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
He might make more money doing TV than he would as a Coordinator.
I figure that is the answer. who knows how many job offers he's turned down. I think he would likle to be a HC again but when you get associated with Detroit, it can be career ending as far as HCing is concerned although I think he will get another shot if he wants it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If I had to bring one back itd be Rod as our DLine coach.

Where he belongs, and he could for the most part stay out of the public eye.

Mooch's system was not a fit, and Mornhenweig would probably try t play the wind in the dome.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post
If I had to bring one back itd be Rod as our DLine coach.

Where he belongs, and he could for the most part stay out of the public eye.

Mooch's system was not a fit, and Mornhenweig would probably try t play the wind in the dome.
What player really shined on the D-Line with Marinelli here? I don't see any player who is significantly better now than when Rod got here.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
detroitsports
Rookie

detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

The answer has to be Mariucci...he's the only one to coach a winning team before

I think Marinelli got a little cocky and drafted undersized d lineman and thought he develop them into great players..obviously unsuccessful

As for Morninwheg, he had the worst record of the 3 so how could he be the best.
detroitsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
What player really shined on the D-Line with Marinelli here? I don't see any player who is significantly better now than when Rod got here.
Highlights/lowlights:

Sacks/pressure was up in 2007.

Shaun Rogers had his best year statistically as a Lion in 2007.

Redding had an 8 sack year in 06 and decent in 07 in run D. Bad/injury plagued 08.

White is good in first half of seasons then terrible in second halfs in 2 seasons.

Kalimba can't be fixed

IAF is a bust.

Avril showed some promise.

DeVries had a decent season in 07 but terrilbe 06 and terrible/injury 08.

Fluellen/Cohen are too young.

Cody is a bust although he was ok at times this year but not enough to keep him.

Darby is terrible.

Marinelli made the most out of the little talent he had on the Dline. But was the reason we brought in inconsistent White, let Rogers go for Darby, resigned Kalimba(he though he could coach him) and gave Redding all that money.

If we had a good Dline with a couple 1st rounders in place I would want Marinelli to coach them for motivation and he is a good coach. An inexperienced Dline/crappy Dline, I don't know who I would want. I don't think there is anybody?
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote