Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jacobs/Ward FA situation

The situation with Jacobs and Ward is very interesting.

It is likely that only Jacobs or Ward will be resigned long term.

Ward will want (and get) a contract a little under Marion Baber's 7 year $45 million contract with $16 million guaranteed (including $12 million signing bonus).

Jacobs will want (and get) a contract around Steven Jackson's 6 year, $44.805 million contract with $20.5 million guaranteed (including $11.395 million signing bonus).

Jacobs is likely to be the top free agent RB by a big margin. (Ward may be #2)

The 2008 franchise tag number was $6.5 million for running backs; so it is quite reasonable cap wise. (The 2009 salary cap is projected to be around $123 million)

If we can't come to a deal with Jacobs, it certainly seems worth putting the franchise tag on him and trying to trade him. We also would be able to limit which teams he goes to.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-06-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about a trade with the Cardinals?

The Giants are not going to be able to keep Ward and Jacobs (and Jacobs will get a big contract). I think there is a very good chance could very well end up franchising Brandon Jacobs.

Anquan Boldin is probably on the way our in Arizona. The Cardinals are not likely agree to Boldin's substantial contract demands, likely similar to Larry Fitzgerald's 4 year $40 million contract with $30 million guranteed (including $15 million signing bonus).

Ken Wisenhunt loves his running game (with his strong Steelers heritage) and Jacobs could be the guy that really opens it up for them (particularly with their offensive line). I imagine a deal would be something they would seriously consider.

The Giants have plenty of picks they can sweeten the deal with.

I am not certain the Giants would want to pay Boldin huge money, so perhaps a third party deal is the best option.

Possible options include Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Philadelphia or Tennessee. An AFC team is the most likely as it won't upset either the Giants or Cardinals much.

For example:

Cardinals get: Brandon Jacobs, 3rd round pick from Giants, 3rd round pick from Tennessee/Miami

Giants get: 1st round pick from Tennessee/Miami

Tennessee/Miami get: Anquan Boldin

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-06-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I'm pretty sure we'll re-sign Jacobs as I've read articles about him wanting to stay in NY and even being willing to take a slight discount to get it done. That said Ward is on his way out. He's a good backup running back, but without jacobs softening defenses up for him he's really just another guy, similar to Ryan Grant actually, a good runner, but not some one who you pay big money to, especially not with an oline like ours.

Personally I'm hoping we get a shot to grab Rashad Jennings on day two and work him in behind Jacobs/Bradshaw. Let him and Ware battle it out for the third spot.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ward looking for Marion Barber money? At his age (29 before the '09 season)? Good luck with that.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

This is what I see happening.

One is re-signed, the other is let go. Simple as that.

Jacobs won't get Jackson money and the last I heard, they were close on the guaranteed money (around $16 million). Ward would not sniff Barber money on the market. He might get $10 million guaranteed and won't get a deal averaging more than $4-5 million a year. The Giants have two young backs in Bradshaw and Ware that they really like, thus they will not go crazy on a RB contract. It is an overpaid position and the Giants FO will not fall into the trap. A team's running game is all about the offensive line and there is no debate.

This is a team that is black and white different without Jacobs and Plax. There is a chance neither will be back in 2009 but in my opinion, they keep Jacobs. Something like a 5 year - $30 million with roughly half of it guaranteed. That keeps money available to give Eli is $100 million deal. Ward will get signed to a nice deal on the market that would fetch us a 4th or 5th round comp pick in 2010 which will be used effectively by Reese.

Honestly I am not worried about it either way. I don't want to see Jacobs go but if he does, we could make a legit run at a Haynesworth type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ward is a beggar's Westbrook, he's big for the G-Men on third downs and in the passing game overall (I shudder at who might handle pass pro for Eli next season), but I think you have to pick Jacobs over him. Jacobs offers something unusual/special in the league that you don't normally find, and sets the table for the rest of the offense/runningbacks on the roster to take advantage of.

I read somewhere the Giants might franchise Jacobs next year if they have to?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Ward is a beggar's Westbrook, he's big for the G-Men on third downs and in the passing game overall (I shudder at who might handle pass pro for Eli next season), but I think you have to pick Jacobs over him. Jacobs offers something unusual/special in the league that you don't normally find, and sets the table for the rest of the offense/runningbacks on the roster to take advantage of.

Jacobs has improved by leaps and bounds in pass pro. he's also been able to knock guys on their ass when he faced them up right, now he doesn't wiff like he used to. Our midget is also a good blocking back, although at his size he has some struggles.

Ward has been big for us this season but he's really not much better than Bradshaw/Ware moving forward so i don't see us breaking the bank for him.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post

A franchise is possible and it might be the best course of action. He struggles to stay on the field and his legs have been so beat up over the years, I just can't see him being what he is 3-4 years from now and you don't want to be paying him a lot of money when that time comes around.

Giants usually steer away from the tag though.

I don't see the Ward-Westbrook relation. Ward lacks speed, his hands are below average...2 things that set Westbrook apart. I love how much he has progressed, but I feel he is a kid that can be replaced rather easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
pd9265

The giants should definitely do all they can to resign jacobs. he has been a key to their success where as ward by himself can't really carry the load. But when ward is teamed with jacobs, the giants have the most dynamic rushing attack in the NFL. I think if the giants were to franchise ward, the could either:

1-trade him to a team for draft picks
2-try and resign him long term
or 3-just keep him here for one more year and have bradshaw or ware take over after that

ward is in his prime right now and so is the giants rushing attack, keeping the running game intact will provide the giants the chance to compete every year.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

The question with Jacobs will be just how much he wants/is worth

Reese will only pay so much; other teams will certainly be willing to pay more.

The deeper we go into the playoff, the Jacobs will likely get with his next deal.

I was kinda hoping a new deal for jacobs would be done already, the longer it takes the more I think it is less likely to happen.

If Jacobs does hit the open market then franchising him would be well worth it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one still holding out hope that somehow the Giants will be able to retain all of earth, wind and fire? :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Am I the only one still holding out hope that somehow the Giants will be able to retain all of earth, wind and fire? :(
certainly not the only one. I am really hoping for it as well.

I just think it could be a little tough to bring back both Jacobs and Ward.

Admittedly both want to return if thats possible and both will take a bit less to stay with the Giants. I guess the question is how much less?

we should have a bit of extra cap room, particularly if Burress isn't back, so it certainly is possible; but perhaps unlikely.

the other problem is that Manning comes off contract after 2009, the front office is certainly going to want to extend him this offseason if at all possible.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
We will, Brandon jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw and Rashad Jennings/Danny Ware will be a better trio next year than this year's e,w and f
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Thinking about this more, I wouldn't be surprised if Ward doesn't sign for that much of a contract. Nevermind Brandon Jacobs payday, I'm talking about Chester Taylor payday. Who is going to pay him starting money, or even close to? When there's a lot of backs in the Draft and on the free market this upcoming offseason.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am annoyed we didn't use Bradshaw yesterday. I would say let Ward go, and let's see Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I am annoyed we didn't use Bradshaw yesterday. I would say let Ward go, and let's see Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware.
Ward is replaceable, Jacobs really is not. Jacobs is like no HB in the league in terms of size and power- it was very clear that without jacobs, the running game was average. the sum is greater than its parts so to speak. But Jacobs is the key. Let Ward go because he will want starting HB salary- which really sucks because i love the guy- but then draft a HB like 2nd or 3rd round to back up Jacobs/Bradshaw

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
LetsGoGiants!
Rookie

LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.LetsGoGiants! could make a wolverine purr.

I think the best way to go depends on there options.

1. If they can find a back that can pound the ball a bit, then they should keep Ward.

2. Use Bradshaw more, just have Jacobs doing what he does and have Bradshaw do Wards job.
LetsGoGiants! is offline   Reply With Quote