Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Assess your entire team

This is really for football nerds like myself..but I know there are a lot of you out there, so let's see if this catches on.

When I'm doing a mock and really putting work into it, looking up the situations of different teams, the player contract info, their recent performance, etc, naturally I sometimes run into some problems. Occasionally I just don't know the exact situation with some players, if there's a player waiting in the wings, what a team thinks of the player and so on. I'm sure a lot of you run into the same problems, at least those of you that actually study up when doing a mock draft.

That's what this thread is for. Take your favorite team, and position by position, break down each and every player, just tell us everything you feel is necessary about that player when it comes to this off-season..if he's a free agent and will/won't be retained, if he had a hot streak to finish the year and will be given a long look next year, if he's in the doghouse, if there's a younger player waiting to take over for him, or if the roster spot is in flux...Trust me, you'll be helping a LOT of people with their mocks.

I'll hold off on the Eagles until I see if this catches on or not. Feel free to duplicate teams, the more opinions the better!
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New England Patriots

Quarterback:
Tom Brady:-Arguably the best in the game depending on opinion but i’d take nobody over him in clutch situations. Great pocket awareness, goes through progressions extremely quickly and is maybe just slightly behind Manning in reading opposing defences. Obviously the status of his knee is of massive concern but as of now he is our franchise player. Matt Cassel improved greatly as the season progressed and turned into a very viable option however I think he will be traded before the season starts if Brady is ready to go. Kevin O’Connell will be the backup QB next year but needs some time getting used to the pro game behind Brady.

Runningback:
Laurence Maroney;-Maroney will likely be the number 1 back next year but as was seen this year it is very much a running back by committee approach. Maroney has all the tools to be a top flight RB, good vision, excellent burst and speed. What he lacks in my opinion is a toughness to succeed. This is seen by two and a half injury plagued seasons. Sammy Morris is an excellent number 2 but will never be mistaken for an elite back. Lamont Jordan is good on short yardage situations and is a good tough runner. Kevin Faulk is a great leader for the Pats and catches anything thrown his way. My only problem when Faulk comes in is it pretty much assures a pass. Overall I wouldn’t be opposed to trading Maroney before the draft and getting something in return.

Wide Receiver:
Randy Moss;-Still one of, if not the best deep threats in the league. Struggled a bit this season with Cassel early on but their partnership did improve. Teams consistently have to game plan against Moss and roll coverage his way. Moss helps this team even when he isn’t thrown the ball. Wes Welker is the definition of reliability and is the perfect complement to Moss. With 212 receptions in the last 2 years he is the safety blanket that both Brady and Cassel used to their advantage. I wouldn’t pick any other receiver if I was in 3rd and 5-10. Jabar Gaffney is not a receiver who will wow anyone but always manages to make big plays at crunch times. I think he is a FA this offseason and may go elsewhere which means special teams ace Kelly Washington could get a shot next year.

Tight End:
Ben Watson;-One of the most frustrating players in the league. Has the tools to be an elite tight end but to me he seems lazy. Is a mismatch problem for any linebacker or safety but will drop easy passes or run the wrong route far too often. The less said about David Thomas after that penalty against the Colts the better.

Left Tackle:
Matt Light;-Didn’t play up to his pro bowl season last year but still a good dependable tackle. Struggles at times when left by himself against speed rushers as was seen in last years Superbowl. Better than average pass blocker though and good in the run game. Mark LeVoir is the current backup and I wouldn’t be to excited if he had to start.

Left Guard:
Logan Mankins;-Personally I think he is in the upper echelon of guards in the NFL. Really solidifies the left hand side of the line and is great in pass and run blocking. Like Light was beaten a bit too often this year but has all-pro potential. Russ Hochstein is the backup who is more versatile than anything. He backs up the entire interior line.

Centre:
Dan Koppen;-Like Mankins and Light he is definitely an above average starter who didn’t have the best season this year. Anchors the line extremely well and also has all pro potential. Once again Russ Hochstein backs him up.

Right Guard:
Stephen Neal;-I don’t think he will ever be mistaken for an all-pro guard or probably even a pro bowler but the early part of the season showed he is more than a serviceable starter. In saying that though he was replaced by Billy ‘the human turnstile’ Yates. There was one play this year when Cassel hadn’t even taken three steps in his drop when Yates’ man sacked him, so no, I wouldn’t be comfortable with him as a long-term starter.

Right Tackle:
Nick Kaczur;-Another player who was injured quite a bit this year. Definitely not the worst player in the league but an upgrade could definitely be used. Ryan O’Callaghan is the back up who was also injured this year. If the Patriots could get someone like Phil Loadholt in the 3rd I wouldn’t be too opposed.

Defensive End:
Richard Seymour;-After having a down year last season he bounced back to his best this year. Can be absolutely dominant at 34 end and at his best can stuff the run and collapse the pocket with the best of them. Ty Warren is a very underrated player in my opinion. Often does a lot of the dirty work on the line and doesn’t the credit that Seymour does. Behind them Jarvis Green and Mike Wright complete what is probably the deepest position on the roster.

Nose Tackle:
Vince Wilfork;-One of the best nose tackles in the league who is never going to be a stat monster. Does what he is asked to in the Patriots scheme, which is take up blockers and tries to collapse the run game. Often comes out on pass downs as he is not the best pass rusher. LeKevin Smith will occasionally spell him but often it is Mike Wright who comes in on passing downs. Depth could be a question if Wilfork where to get injured or suspended.

Outside Linebacker:
Adalius Thomas;-AD is one of my favourite Patriots. Absolutely huge for the position and has great intelligence. Perhaps not the greatest pass rusher in the world but extremely effective at what he does. Will occasionally slide inside. Mike Vrabel had a great season last year but was very disappointing this year. Perhaps age is catching up with him but he just didn’t cut it as a pass rusher this season. Brought in Shawn Crable last year who I do like the look of. Probably won’t be mistaken for D-Ware but looked good when had the chance before going on IR this year. If somehow he fell I would love Everette Brown in the draft.

Inside Linebacker:
Jerod Mayo;-A future star in this league who arrived with a bang. Not many rookies can start in BB’s scheme but he was pretty much day one. Sideline to sideline range and a big hitter, will be a future pro bowler. I think both Bruschi and Seau have forks in their backs because their done. I think Gary Guyton deserves a chance to start next year and I would be very surprised if another high pick was used for an ILB. Depth is an issue.

Safety:
Brandon Merriweather;-One of my favourite up and coming players in the league. Got over his case of the dropsies from last year and ended up with 4 ints. Can also rush the passer and came up with some crucial plays like the sack forced fumble against Seattle. James Sanders is serviceable beside Merriweather but is nothing to write home about. I would be surprised if Harrison came back so another starting safety could be used or at least a later pick for depth.

Cornerback:
Ellis Hobbs;-Hobbs to me is more suited to be a number 2 corner. Has good ball skills and is dangerous with the ball in his hands but is quite short and doesn’t match up well with taller receivers, see Burress, Plaxico Superbowl. Lewis Sanders is down as are starting corner but that is not a good situation to be in. I would like to see Wilhite and Wheatley get prolonged playing time next year if nothing else but to see what they’re like. They couldn’t be worse than Deltha O’Neal. I would hold off on drafting a corner high though.

Kicker:
Stephen Gostkowski;-One of the best kickers in the league. Booming kickoffs and very accurate and clutch.

Punter:
Chris Hanson;-Above average punter who can kick it long without out-kicking his coverage.

Kick returner:
Ellis Hobbs;-Ranked near the top of the league in return average and is a threat to take it the distance. Although you don’t feel the excitement with him as you do with other return men like Hester etc.

Punt returner:
Wes Welker;-Pretty similar to Hobbs above. Very good at returning punts but there isn’t that expectation that he is going to take it to the house.

Overall hopes for the draft;

First and foremost we need another pass rushing linebacker. Yes our secondary was awful but we couldn’t pressurise anyone.
Secondly if the value was right I would take safety over cornerback. However, if one of the ‘elite CBs’ ie Jenkins, Davis fall to 24 I think we probably have to take them.
Depth on the O-line could be used as well and as I mentioned above a starting RT in the 3rd or 4th would be nice.
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Detroit Lions (Oh and 16).

QB: Hooray for the 1st pick in the draft. Has Stafford declared yet? He will be our franchise that we must build around, and we've got a lot to build. As for the others, Culpepper will be cut with 5 million due to him next year, Orlovksy contract expired and Kitna is due 3.3 million next year. Drew Stanton will be the 3rd QB because he was a 2nd round pick and has some athletic ability but is injury prone. The question is do we keep Kitna to mentor Stafford or see something in Orlovksy in order to cut Kitna and resign Orlovsky or get a different FA. Depends on the new coach I guess.

RB: Kevin Smith, very promising rookie year behind a terrible Oline. 976 yards, 4.1 avg and 8 tds. He will be our feature back and with some guard help, he could be an 1,100-1,200 yard back next year IMO. Perfect for the zone blocking scheme, can make the quick cut and has the ability to make people miss and get the tough yards as well. Other RBs Rudi Johnson contact expires and Cason is a special teamer. Brian Calhoun is way way too injury prone. Kevin Smith and some free agents or draft picks at RB next year.

WR: Calvin Johnson. Sky is the limit with this guy. Get him a QB with a canon arm and can make smart decision and look out. Despite double coverage all year he still had a great year and has nose for the end zone. The guy dives 5 yards from a 1st down and gets the 1st down. Playmaker. Other WRs, Furrey will be the only one returning. He's only really effective with Martz it seems and he and McDonald fell off this year. McDonald contract expires. Wherever Martz ends up so will he.

TE: Dan Campbell, good blocking tight end but haven't seen it in 2+ years. Injury problems galore for Campbell. Michael Gaines was supposed to be a decent blocker but he really isn't. Fitzsimmons and John Owens have no talent.

LT: Jeff "QB on his" Backus. Used to be a decent LT. Allowed only 3 sacks in 2005. Then 2 years under Martz and struggling again last year for the majority of the season, Backus has moved into the way below average category. He's durable, over 100 straight starts, but he has problems against stronger Right Ends it seems. Speed gets him too but if the DE has any combo of strength and speed, he will struggle. Backus has stopped Ware, Umeniyora and Freeney so has some good games but he still gives up 7-10 sacks a year and plenty of pressures.
LG: Edwin Mulitalo. Washed up guard. Brought in by Colletto because of his knowledge of zone blocking but it just hasn't worked out with him like every other LG during the Millen era. Poor in pass protection. Backup LG, Manny Ramirez. 4th round pick from 07, very strong but for some reason it hasn't translated for the Lions. Can't get into the starting lineup over Mulitalo or Peterman. First real action last year, so give him one more year to develop his game.
Center: Dominic Raiola. He's fairly athletic, was durable until this year but is way undersized. No push from Raiola especially when we need it. Williams wall, Tommie Harris etc just dominate him every year. Good in the 2nd level but not good enough. 3.4 million due to him next year. I think next year is his last year as a Lion.
Right Guard: Stephen Peterman. Contract expires, 2 subpar years at Right Guard. Not a mauler at all. Marinelli loved his work ethic, former 3rd round pick by Dallas. Has heart but no talent.
Right Tackle:
Gosder Cherilus. Decent rookie year. Some penalties early but as the year went on he got better. Good run blocker and decent in pass protection. Tackle for the next 10 years in Detroit if he keeps it up.

DE: Cliff Avril showed some flashes as a rookie with 5 sacks but he's a situational pass rusher IMO. He needs to bulk up and get better against the run, but he has the speed and ability to get to the QB. DeWayne White, decent end, always has a good 1st half then terrible 2nd half(happened last 3 years). He's not a stud Right End by any means. Probably only fits the Tampa 2. He's got a mean streak and is our best DE, but with no Tampa 2 who knows. Jared DeVries, career backup. Decent against the run, had a good year sackwise in 2007 but with no Shaun Rogers, he really struggled. Strictly a backup IMO.

DT: Corey Redding, decent UT, but he can't do anything without a stud next to him. Redding alone is terrible against the run. Chuck Darby, horrible nose tackle. Way undersized, no pass rush or run stopping ability. We replace Shaun Rogers with this guy. No wonder Marinelli fired. Shaun Cody, actually played ok at times but as a 2nd round pick huge disappointment overall. Basically is a UT, but we have Redding and his contract expired. Andre Fluellen, another UT, who showed some flashes and in a pinch played DE the last few games. Has some ability in pass rush but need to see more in year 2. Won't start because of Redding. Ikaika Alama Francis, project when drafted and is a bust. No pass rush or run stopping ability.

LB: Ernie Sims, great tackler/great speed but not a game changer/play maker. Overpursues and on a good team he would be fine, but in Detroit it causes problems because he tries to do too much. Good tackler, great speed, undersized so only a weakside LB, but a good player. With no Tampa 2, it'll be interesting what we do with him. Paris Lenon, terrible Mike. No pass coverage ability. Has decent games making tackles and some terrible games in terms of missed tackles. Backup LB from now on for Lenon. SAM, Alex Lewis/Ryan Nece. Both undersized, slow special teamers. Not starters like they were this year. Dizon, good instinct but again undersized and not that fast. With no Tampa 2, special teamer for Dizon.

CB: Leigh Bodden, he's a man corner, we found that out this year. He had some decent games this year and is our best corner but he's due 8 million bonus next year. Might not be here depending on the scheme. Travis Fisher, slow corner and not much tackling ability. Keith Smith, decent coverage corner but no tackling ability at all. Brian Kelly, cut already, washed up.

Safety: Daniel Bullocks strong in run support, very slow in coverage. SS who needs some work. Gerald Alexander decent rookie year but on IR early this year. Decent tackler and decent in coverage. Dwight Smith washed up and will be cut saving 3 million. Kalvin Pearson, clearly not a starter which he did this year, decent special teamer.

Kicker Jason Hanson, very good kicker but don't know if he's clutch. No pressure to win in Detroit.

Punter Nick Harris. Overworked.

KR Cason needs upgraded.

There are some bright spots on the Lions like Calvin,Avril,Ernie Sims,Gosder and Kevin Smith.

But they really lacked in stopping the run and we have never had that franchise QB who can just get big 3rd down conversions or lead game winning drives. QB and nose tackle and interior Oline are the biggest needs IMO. Revamp the secondary again too especially if Bodden is cut with 8 mil due to him. And 2 LBs need to get bigger.

Over 30 million in cap space and 5 high draft picks will help but it's another 2-3 year plan.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ouch the Lions roster is just sad other than a few bright spots.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
Ouch the Lions roster is just sad other than a few bright spots.
Thats not fair you can't count Calvin Johnson more than once
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

New York Giants

Quarterback – Eli Manning
Eli’s our quarterback and should be getting a major extension this offseason and I doubt he doesn’t end his career here. He has yet to miss any time due to injury despite having bad shoulder injury last season that many “NFL analysts” thought would end his season. He’s clutch for us and he calls a better game than our OC. We’ve got David Carr as his backup and while we all know David Carr is still suffering from post traumatic stress disorder from his Houston days. He’s a decent backup I guess, although I could see us taking a late round flier like we did with Andre Woodson last season.

Running Back – Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw
Our running back trio is nasty behind our oline they compliment each other well and are key to our O. Jacobs and Ward are both going to be free agents and I expect Jacobs to be retained while Ward is let go. There have been reports that Jacobs will take less money to stay here and the way he wears down Ds and fires up our guys I’ll be disappointed if he walks. Ward is a good well rounded RB, but is just an average guy who benefits greatly from our oline and Jacobs wearing down defenses, he does a great job doing what he’s asked but many giants fans and apparently the coaching staff are pretty confident that Danny Ware will be able to fill in for him as Ahmad gets more touches. Again with how many picks we have and how strong our depth is at a lot of positions it’s certainly possible that we spend a day two pick on a running back, but it’ll be more of a luxury pick.

Full Back – Madison Hedgecock
This big boy was signed during last season and has done a great job barreling into linebackers and being an old school smash mouth FB. He’s just been signed to a long term extension last season so it’s highly unlikely we add another FB.

WR – Plax (maybe), Amani Toomer (maybe) and Steve Smith (slot)
These have been our starters this season, but this is the position with the most question marks on this team. As we all know Plax went full ****** and shot himself in the leg this season, that incident has caused a lot of question marks about his future with this team, but while plax is a complete idiot he doesn’t disrupt our chemistry and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back.

Amani is a different story, complete class act but if we go deep again I could certainly see him following Strahan into retirement since his contract is up this season. Again I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back or not next season.

Steve Smith is arguably our go to option on third downs and has been a very good role player out of the slot. He could get moved into amani’s role as the starting possession guy next season if amani dips, although I think the slot is his best spot.

Domenik Hixon is the biggest X factor in our WR corps, he’s got good speed, toughness and has shown good hands. He can be a very good deep threat for us and is a playmaker, however since plax’s suspension he’s struggled a little as our go to guy although the last few weeks of the season he started looking more like the guy who torched the seahawks and was a huge part of us beating the cards. I think that since it’s highly likely either plax or amani are gone next season that hixon will be a starter. I like this kid’s upside and with a full season working with eli as a starter he should be more on page with Eli and thus be more productive.

Sinorice Moss and Mario mannigham, are both very fast young WRs who haven’t factored into our rotation very much. Sinorice gets some snaps and has actually been successful in certain plays but things just never seem to go his way, be it tripping in the open field, dropping easy passes, etc. I don’t see Sinorice ever playing a major role on this team but as a 4th/5th WR who can run he’s a decent player who’s been progressing, albeit very slowly. As for Super Mario I was very down on him in last years draft, although in he does have very good potential. Unfortunately one of my fellow giants fans said it best in our team discussion thread when he posted “Mario’s buddies at UM used to light his weed for him because they were scared he’d burn himself.” This kid might have a few brain cells that flicker on occasion, think K Reevz, and ultimately I don’t see him ever becoming a starter although he could replace Sinorice as the 4th WR who’s brought in because he can make big plays.

This is a position that could be a need but we’ll need a bigger WR who can be a factor in the redzone and stretch the field, think DHB in round one, Kenny Britt in round two or Ramses Barden in round three, we need that type of big WR.

TE – Kevin “he’s the” Boss
When Shockey was traded during the offseason a lot of giants fans were worried that boss wouldn’t be able to replace Shockey’s blocking and while he’s not as good as shockey as a blocker, very few complete TEs are, Boss has made great strides and with his frame and our TE coach he’s well on his way. As a receiver Boss might be the only guy on this team who challenges steve smith for third down awesomeness and despite Killdrive hating throwing to TEs Boss does a very good job as a receiver for what he’s asked and his upside is vey nice. This kid studies Jason Witten and is a similar type of TE in that he’s not a crazy athlete but runs very crisp routes, doesn’t drop passes and does a good job as a blocker. He’s clearly not on Witten’s level but he does everything we ask of him and has shown steady progress. We’ve got a couple big guys behind him like darcy Johnson who are big strong run blockers and if we don’t luck out and still have Killdrive running things next season I doubt we add a TE unless it’s a raw late rounder like Boss was.

LT – David Diehl
DD is a guy all giants fans love but almost all giants fans disagree on. He’s played everything except center for us and has done a good job at each spot, however at LT he simply doesn’t match up well with the better pass rushers so many of us would like to see us grab a potential Franchise LT if one is available in the draft at our pick or close enough for us to trade up for. Eben Britton is a guy who could be in our range and is a guy I’d love to see as a giant. At the moment we don’t have a LT backup because Guy Whimper is on IR, but normally Whimper is a solid backup OT who’s stepped in and done his job when asked. Whimper’s a very good athlete but he’s not a mean SOB like the rest of our line and that’s why he’s a backup swing tackle.

LG – NUMBER 69!!!!!!
Rich Seubert is a great glue guy for this line because he just loves going out and fighting for this team. He’s already said he wants to retire a giant and would come off the bench if that’s what helped this team the most. Seubert like all our guys does a great job in the run game and is tough, he pulls well and while he isn’t the biggest of maulers he does a good job driving most tackles. Personally I want Diehl to be playing either here or at RT next season, but it’s unlikely a prospect like Michael Oher who could start as a rookie slips into our range. Kevin Boothe is a mediocre backup but Grey Ruegamer can also play guard.

C – Shaun O’Hara
O’Hara’s a very smart vet who like seubert isn’t a huge guy which is why we struggle with elite NTs. O’Hara though is a great technician who’s smart and mean. He’s in his early thirties and has really settled in as a stud on our line. Grey Ruegamer is the primary backup here and he seems like a guy that’s been huge for the great chemistry our olineman have as he’s just a goofy guy who brings them all together and is a serviceable backup on the inside. C certainly isn’t an early need but on day two we could certainly grab another interior Olineman to backup Seubert and Snee while also grooming to maybe replace O’Hara at center down the road.

RG – Chris Snee
The coach’s son in law is probably our most nasty drive blocker and is just a mauler in the running game. He’s arguably our best lineman has been snubbed for the probowl the last few years. Same backup situation as with number 69.

RT – Kareem McKenzie
McKenzie is a quiet man who’s a very good guy. He’s huge and does a very good job in the running game, both when we’re power blocking for Jacobs or zone blocking for ward/bradshaw. He’s been very steady for us as a pass blocker as well. He’s still got another year or two on his contract although I’m hoping that by then we have a LT who lets Diehl play elsewhere which could make McKenzie expendable.

LE –Justin Tuck
What do I have to say about this monster that you don’t already know. He’s a beast against the run and is terrifying when he slides inside and can rush the interior. Straight Stud. When Tuck slides inside on passing downs Kiwi will put his hand down at this spot. Whether Kiwi spends the whole offseason working his body back into DE shape or whether he keeps working on the mental aspects of LB which he seemed to be making major steps in this offseason is another huge question for this team. Either way our D runs off our multi-DE pass rushing sets so grabbing someone who could work their way into the rotation and step up should we suffer a major injury here again would be huge. I’m of the opinion that we’ll just wait until the draft and depending on who we draft will determine whether kiwi’s our starting Sam or primary backup DE.

RE – Osi Umenyiora
Our best DE has missed all year but will be back next year. King Osi is an exceptional pass rusher who draw double teams away from strahan and tuck last year and is a good run stuffer, not dominant against the run, but he holds well for his size and sheds very well. David Tollefson is a solid wave player who plays with a great motor and does a solid job getting pressure. Hopefully though we don’t have to see him too much next season with better help and some reinforcements.

DT – Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield and Jay Alford
Big Fred and Barry C are our starters on the inside and both are stout against the run but also do a good job pushing the pocket from the middle. Spags has always like guys like that who can play both like a NT and as an UT, whether Sheridan or whomever replaces him feels the same way has yet to be seen although our current scheme just has a LDT and a RDT. Jay Alford is a great interior pass rusher off the bench for us although he’s a little light against the run right now. I’d like to see us spend our third rounder on a more NT type of tackle who’d be the rotations run guy like Alford’s the rotations pass rush guy. Barry Cofield is a free agent this season but I doubt he’s very high on many teams lists and will likely be back for a reasonable contract.

SLB – Matthias Kiwanuka (maybe)
Right now I’m going to guess that Kiwi is back at SLB although there’s a good chance that this position is between Goff and a rookie next season with kiwi bulking back up to move back to DE. If we can’t grab a stud DE like Greg Hardy but have a shot at a stud LB like Brandon Spikes or Mark Herzlich that’ll be the direction we go. Lil animal is a poor fit since he needs to play in a scheme were his first step is backwards, but our D likes to attack so we need linebackers that excel moving forward and flowing to the ball. I really don’t like Brian Cushing for our D since he looks so stiff and just seems like Barbie Carpenter 2.0. The primary backup here will likely be Jonathan Goff who looked very good before going down for the season and looks to be another Jerry Reece day two steal.

MLB – Antonio Pierce
Yes AP is super smart and like another coach out there but dude’s got a bigger gut than me and seems to have stolen James Butler’s ankle weights. He’s just so slow now that he’ really not very effective. I doubt we replace him next season although we certainly could start preparing Goff or Chase Blackburn for the job. Chase has been a special teams demon for a while and is a very physical, attacking linebacker who despite mediocre athleticism has done well when given snaps.

WLB – Bryan Kehl
Kehl has looked like our best linebacker at many points this season as he reacts quickly, is a good athlete and is physical enough to play in our defense, a huge problem for his backup Gerris Wilkinson who’s an even better athlete and good cover backer but is very soft and I’m pretty sure he has HIV, because he’s always injured and never seems healthy. Depending on how our new DC tweaks our scheme Chase Blackburn could be in the running for this spot as Spags has played him here before. I don’t really see a need here since I’m a Kehl fan, btbtu some giants fans might say we need more of a playmaker here who could make an impact in coverage.

CB – Corey Webster, Aaron Ross and Terrell Thomas
It’s still impresses me how far Corey Webster has come since the dark ages of Tim Lewis running this D. He’s a legit top 10 corner who’s very physical and excels in man coverage. He’s doing so much better in zone as well and has good ball skills. He recently got locked up for a great deal and will continue to lead our secondary which has been challenging our Dline for the strength of our defense this season.

Aaron Ross has been banged up practically all year, but is still doing a decent job out there. Ross brings us a lot of versatility since he’s a very good blitzer, is a beast supporting the run, moves well in zones when we would drop him back as the third safety last year and is also a physical, long armed man corner.

The third of cornerback clones Terrell Thomas hasn’t been relied on very heavily but he’s looked great as our nickel back. He’s like the other guys in that he’s a very tough kid with long arms and good size who can really stick with most receivers. He’s also looked good in our three safety sets.

Kevin Dockery is a midget, the dude needs to apply for legal dwarf status. He’s pretty quick and isn’t really a bad corner, it’s just he’s so easy to pick on if you’ve got any receiver with any strength and hops. There’s almost no way we grab a corner on day one unless Aaron Ross’s shoulder falls of during this playoff run. But I could see reece grabbing someone on day two who fits the profile, long, strong, good in man coverage and can play the run.

SS – Kenny Phillips
Kenny P is the best safety we’ve had in a long time, he hasn’t really stood out but that’s because a lot of the team he’s been cleaning up other people’s messes back there. He would probably make more big plays and getting more hype if we played him in a more centerfield FS role but Michael Johnson doesn’t understand that Runningbacks don’t stand still and wait for him to come up and hit them so he has to play the more run supporting SS role. James Butler is a free agent but I doubt anyone gives him much money or a guaranteed starting spot so I think he comes back. Butler’s really smart and basically the Antonio Pierce of that secondary, although this year he’s actually not given up a big play every game which is why I suspect that he played last season with ankle weights to slow him down. He’s still only mediocre in coverage but helps all the other guys out a lot and does take good angles to the ball. If a guy like William Moore falls to New Orleans’ second rounder I’d love to see him brought in, once he’s healthy and looses weight he’d finally free up Kenny P to roam deep and just terrify receivers.

FS – Michael Johnson
Johnson has great triangle numbers and really has good range playing the deep safety role, but he’s still bad supporting the run because he takes horrible angles. I’d like to see someone brought in who could challenge him for the spot next to Kenny Phillips who could play SS, but it’s not a pressing need as he does a good job in coverage.

K – John Carney
He’s ancient but he’s been doing a good job and it’s such a relief not having to worry about Tynes missing the extra point. His kickoffs go no where though and that’s something it’d be nice to see improved upon.

P – Jeff Feagles
What can I say about this guy, he’s great, gets very good hang time, and is just incredible at nailing teams inside the 20. Feagles to Tyree last year was a more common connection than Eli to plax and he’s still doing a great job this year. I really hope he’s back because he’s huge for our special teams.

KR – Domenik Hixon/Ahmad Bradshaw
Depending on what both’s roles are on offense I think these two are the most likely kickoff guys as they can break long returns and are tough running with the ball.

PR – I don’t even care as long as it’s not RW McQuarters again. Hopefully Sinorice Moss or Super Mario can step in here, gain coughlin’s confidence and make an impact, but we won’t know who’s got this job til TC.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New Orleans Saints

Quarterback:
Drew Brees:-Arguably the best in the game depending on opinion but i’d take nobody over him in a pure passing situation. The last thing I know is that Joey Harrington is our backup QB which is fine for the time being since drew Aints that old but in a couple of drafts (2011?) I'd like to get ourselves someone to develope. Not a draftable position at the moment.

Runningback:
Pierre Thomas is a very nice suprise to have and fits well with our team strategy but he is not that feature back that wins games for you. We are very much depending on the pass but when you accept that Thomas is a fine part of a committee.
Reggie Bush is a terror in space and one of the most versatile weapons in football, he actually shares receiving records with receivers for illustration.
We could use a big bruising back with our oline stabilising so that we finally ccan get those tough 3rd and 4th and very short gaines that we constantly blow.

Wide Receiver:
Marques Colston is a really good primary receiver and seemed to have recovered nicely in the last weeks of the season. Lance Moore has been one of the most pleasant suprises of the season as well. With players like Maechem and Arrington also on the roster we have plenty of diversity on our receiving corps although a tru burner might be lacking is henderson leaves through free agency.

Tight End:
Jeremy Shockey: I was kinda disappointed by the trade when I thought he'd be good cause i thought we overpaid for a injury prone guy that isnt the best guy in the locker room. With him falling severely short of the level that i expected from him makes the trade even worse. I would like to give him some more time though to become a primary tight end for us and we have tons of guys backing him up (miller campbell etc)

Left Tackle:
Jamaal Brown;-Has had troubles with the best pass rushers in the league and although he held his own and has been quite good he hasnt been great. Might be a better fit at right tackle providing a really good replacement. Zach Strief has showen quite a bit of promise and could actually land one of the tackle jobs. We might also use Nicks outside.

Left Guard:
Carl Nicks has been our starter since mid season but he has shown so much promise that an even more important position is in his sights. As long as he stays put this position is steady and more than that probably. Depth is an issue however since we lack tru backup besides Nesbit,

Center:
Jonathan Goodwin is a decent servicable starter but nothing more, should be a beckup but isnt. Not a huge need but a need nevertheless. Also Backed up by Nesbit

Right Guard:
Jahri Evans; Probably the most underrated lineman in the entire league. This guy has put in a pro bowl performance for a couple of seasons now. Lacks backup though, Lehr doesnt feel like a pro to me.

Right Tackle:
Jonathan Stinchcomb: He has actually been less terrible this season than I had expected. I dont think he'll be starting again next season though with either Strief or Nicks having probably locked up a starting job.

Defensive End:
With Charles Grant, Will Smith and Bobby McCray this is one of our strongsuits in our defense. Even Jeff Charleston has looked serviceable and therefore this position is the most set from our defensive positions. Very happy about our situation on this position.

Defensive Tackle:
Sedrick Ellis: Hasn't dissapointed at all although I cursed him for sacking Orton in the final seconds of the Bears game. He has been quite impressive for a rookie at DT. However we lack a truly good matchup with him. We have DeMario Pressley in the waiting room however so I like a big nosetackly kinda guy like Brace but it isnt a primary need and we have no need for an UT at all.

Outside Linebacker:
Scott Fujita is one of the better SLB in the league but he isnt a real game changer. He is fine though. Scott Shanle is another story though, he is just to inathletic to ever be more than a backup in my mind. WLB is one of our biggest needs.

Inside Linebacker:
Jonathan(yes again) Vilma: Has been really impressive this season but as is known he hits free agency this offseason. I really think we are gonna get him back in free agency but that is just my opinion. If he leaves this will become our primary draft concern however.

Safety:
Kevin Kaesverharn: He has been really steady this season (steady the worst starter in the league that is). We really really need an impact FS to come somehow. Would also make our corners look better.
Roman Harper has been kinda steady at SS. Not great but steady. He has really suffered though from the dismal display by his buddy.

Cornerback:
Tracy Porter has looked like one of the best rookie corners (if not the best) until his injury. He'll come back as a starter next year. McKenzie has also been a steady starter for many years but is getting up in age. I believe next year Usama Young could be our nickel which would lead to an acceptable corner situation. A project kinda guy to groom behind McKenzie would be nice though. For further depth David has actually looked less awfull than last season and we also got randall ***.

Kicker:
Punter:
I'm not giving names here cause it probably has changed since I started typing. But more seriously both Hartley and Pakulak have looked pretty good.

Kick returner:
Lance Moore/Skyler Green: Besides Green incredibly stupid fumble in the season closer both have returned well in general.

Punt returner:
Reggie Bush;-Returned a few of them and the job is just made for him.

Overall hopes for the draft;

First and foremost we need more picks.
we havent got a second third fifth or sixth and only 2 fourths(the jets) to make up for it.
Given that Vilma returns I really hope we get a couple of seconds for our first somehow and land guys like McRath and Delmas with the picks. WLB and FS are more of a need than anything and the rest dont even come close. An offensive lineman a cornerback and perhaps a power running back is also welcome.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll do the eagles I guess.

QB - Donovan McNabb - Not the same QB he was a few years back but is still extremely solid. Still has a cannon arm and can move around in the pocket very well, but his accuracy is very inconsistent, can make the toughest throws but can also miss the easiest ones. I would love to see him back next year because I feel like he can be a top 10-15 QB for at least 3 more years. I don't think Kevin Kolb is the future, he seems to throw a pick every time he gets on the field. Feeley is a good 3rd option.

HB - Brian Westbrook/Correll Buckhalter/Lorenzo Booker/Kyle Eckel - Brian Westbrook is an elite RB, I have no doubt in that, he can run, catch, block, and run routes with the best of 'em. He is getting old though and also has a bit too many injury concerns. Will be an assett for the team for many years to come. Correll Buckhalter is a great #2 back. A hard runner but also has great straight-line speed, he has come back from many injuries and he now has a nice role on the team. Lorenzo Booker is a massive disappointment after having a great Training Camp, is usually inactive on gameday. Kyle Eckel is a HB/FB that has done a nice job on ST and on the few carries he's gotten he's been decent.

FB - Dan Klecko - Started the year at DT and had 2 sacks but when Tony Hunt got cut they moved him to FB. He's a great guy and a bery hard worker, and has done a nice job at FB, but is not a long-term answer at FB. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him back at DT next year.

WR - Kevin Curtis/DeSean Jackson/Jason Avant/Hank Baskett/Reggie Brown/ Greg Lewis - Solid but unspectalur group. Curtis is a nice reliable guy but is not a #1 WR by any means. DeSean Jackson is the playmaker of the bunch, started the year very good with 2 straight 100 yard games but doesn't have 1 since then. Still has a very promising future and would be a great compliment to a #1 possession type of receiver. Jason Avant is a great slot guy who always seems to come up big on 3rd down. Hank Baskett has great size and pretty good speed for his size, and he has 3 catches of 89 yards or more since 2006 and no other receiver in the league has more than one, which is pretty surprising for a guy his size. Reggie Brown is a big disappointment after his rookie season where eagles fans thought he was the answer. Finally Greg Lewis is a veteran that seems to always be able to stick on the team, but might not last too much longer.

TE - LJ Smith/Brent Celek/Matt Schobel - LJ Smith is as good as gone after this season. Has good athletic ability but can't seem to have a true breakout year, and makes some crucial drops/fumbles that make him very disliked among eagles fans. Brent Celek has potential but I just don't see him as a starter, has been very good for a 5th rounder and should be on the team for a while but I think his best bet is to be a really good #2 TE. Matt Schobel is not very good, #3 TEs should be good blockers and he is a terrible blocker, not overly athletic either.

LT - Tra Thomas/Winson Justice - Tra Thomas is a great veteran LT but he's getting really old and his contract is up after this year. I really have no idea if he will be back but I hope he will. Winston Justice is a massive disappointment and I really don't want him to be part of the team anymore.

LG - Todd Herremans/Mike McGlynn - Herremans is a reliable G but I actually like him more as a T, great size and a great pass protecter but I think he could use more work as a run blocker. I haven't seen too much of McGlynn but I know he has a mean streak and I like that in offensive lineman, I like him a lot as a backup.

C - Jamaal Jackson/Nick Cole - Jackson is a good player but has not played quite as well as I had hoped before the season. Should keep his starting spot for a few more years. Nick Cole is currently starting at RG and has been very impressive, a very valuable OL depth player.

RG - Shawn Andrews/Max Jean-Gilles - Both of these guys are currently injured. When healthy Shawn Andrews is one of the best yound offensive linemen in the league reguardless of position. Unfortuanely has suffered from depression and has had some injury concerns in his career. MJG is huge and filled in for Andrews quite nicely for the majority of the season, but I believe he is currently on IR.

RT - Jon Runyan - Great reliable RT who has the 3rd longest streak starting games in a row. Like Tra he is in his final year and I hope the eagles keep him around because he hasn't slowed down too much.

Defense key players (this is taking longer than I thought lol)

RDE - Trent Cole - Had a down year in sacks but led the league in tackles for a loss, still a great player and I expect him to have a great career in Philly.

DT - Brodrick Bunkley - Our most impressive DT by far this year. Does not get the stats but does him job just fine in that he is a force that collapses the pocket and one of our biggest reasons for our success against the run this year.

MLB - Stewart Bradley - Most improved player this year, led the team in tackles and plays with great range. Not a great playmaker but should be a top NFL LB for years to come.

CB - Asante Samuel/Sheldon Brown - Both of these guys played at a pro bowl level, Sheldon is the reliable cover guy and big hitter while Asante is the flashy playmaker that will give up the completions if he has a chance to go for the pick.

FS - Brian Dawkins - My favorite eagles player ever, also in his final year of his contract but I believe the eagles will retain him. What Ed Reed does in interceptions, Brian Dawkins does in forcing fumbles. Flat out beast.

SS - Quintin Mikell - Pro-bowl snub, extremely reliable player who is a good cover guy and great in run support and also has decent hands. Really has no holes in his game but isn't amazing in any one category. Jack of all trades type player who should be in the starting lineup for years to come.

Darren Howard, Juqua Parker, Chris Clemons, Mike Patterson, Akeem Jordan, Chris Gocong, and Joselio Hanson are all very solid starters or role players that should stick around. I haven't seen enough of Trevor Laws or Quintin Demps to form a great opinion, but I've liked what I've seen from them so far. Lito Sheppard is a huge underachiever who won't be around much longer. Tracy White, Tank Daniels, and Sean Considine are all solid special teamers who have no value on defense. Omar Gaither is a good special teams player who is a valuable backup for multiple positions on defense. Joe Mays was a preseason sensation who hasn't been active all year due to not being a great STer, but I believe he has a role on defense in the future.

Last edited by Go_Eagles77 : 01-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Go_Eagles77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tennessee:-

QB- This season the Titans were destined to go far when Vince Young went down and what eventually became out for the season. Allowing Kerry Collins to come in and do what Young couldn't, manage a game. Since being placed at the helm Kerry Collins as successfully managed the Titans offense allowing us to be effective and efficient in every area of play. Obviously we all know he is not a game changing quarterback and will never be but he has done for the Titans exactly what we needed, offer enough of a threat in the pass game to open up the run, something Young never did.

RB- Chris Johnson came in with alot of question marks surrounding whether he was going to flop or not. Well suffice to say he didnt flop and has been the spark in the Tennessee offense that we have lacked for as long as I can remember. He offers us alot of versatility in both the run and the pass also to top it off he can block. Personally I think he could be used even more effectively in the offense but we always have next season. Lendale well is Lendale he gets hit and fals forward, he is easily replaceable.

FB- Ahmard Hall, he is a very unsung hero amongst the league but we Titans fans know the key role he plays in our rushing success, a real cannon ball blocker, he paves the way for Johnson and for White except White never hits the hole in time. He has great hands and is effective with the ball in his hands, very underrated and I hope one day he gets pro bowl consideration.

WR- Pretty much all I can say is we still do not have a go to guy and there are far to many drops accross the board, there was nobody who stood out as special again for us.

TE- Bo Scaife did very well for us nothing spectacular but he did what hes done since he got here and thats catch balls and keep the chains moving, will never be a top tier tight end but he does what we need him to do. Alge Crumpler didnt really do anything at all but he did help with blocking in the run game, dissapointing season from what we thought would be a great weapon.

LT- Michael Roos is elite, and he does not get all the credit that he deserves, since coming into the league he has arguably been a top 5 tackle, so consistent and vital to our offensive success.

LG- Fought with Leroy Harris for the starting LG job, he has had starting experience at LG over his time at Tennessee but always as a backup, has come in and has been better than expected.

C- Kevin Mawae since coming in has been a fantastic leader and the exact kind of leader we need on offense, he is going to the pro bowl this year and it is well deserved, one if not the best centre of the last decade or so and he is vital to our offensive lines success.

RG- Brought in to replace Benji Olsen and he has been as good if not better than he was when he was with the Colts. He offers very good protection against the interior rush and helps keep a strong pocket.

RT- David Stewart is probably the only guy on our line who is better at run blocking than pass blocking but he is not slouch when it comes to pass protection, he is the most violent guy on our Oline and he does not let up easily.

DE- We only have one true starter on the Dline in KVB who as everyone knows it a top tier DE with a non stop motor and intense play style. Opposite we have 3 guys who we use, Jevon Kearse, Jacob Ford and William Hayes. In the end its likely that Hayes and Ford will become an effective rotation with Ford coming in on passing downs. Kearse has been solid this year but we could do with more of a threat coming off the opposite edge to KVB.

DT- We all know about Albert Haynesworth so we dont need to hear anything about him, as long as he is resigned I am happy. Tony Brown the UT opposite AH is very effective in both the run or the pass hes not and will never be a house hold name but he is key to our interior success and pressure on the DL because if AH and KVB are getting worried about he is going to go after the QB like a rabid dog. Jason Jones a very unsung rookie from this years draft proved how well he can shoulder duty when either Brown or Haynesworth goes down with a 3.5 sack performance against Pittsburgh.

MLB- We are very standard at MLB with us chopping and changing between them since Randall Godfrey left us a long time ago, with the likes of Ryan Fowler, Peter Sirmon and now Stephen Tulloch, who has chopped and changed as starter with Fowler. Tulloch is stout and rather like London Fletcher in Physique but does not have the same nose for the ball and is just for me a gloryfied Special Teamer.

OLB- Keith Bulluck is still a top tier OLB but he isnt as good as he was a couple of years ago but still there are few I would take over him because his leadership is what keeps the defense ticking. David Thornton is a middle of the pack LB, better in run support than he is in pass coverage, i would sweat watching him cover a top tier TE. Could do with getting some depth behind them.

CB- Cortland Finnegen is elite in my eyes however everything behind him is average, Nick Harper is old and slowing down and he cant match up against the top flight receivers any more so he can get picked on, we could do with getting a top flight CB in the first round of the draft or go after Nnamdi in FA.

SS- Chris Hope was hugely underrated at Pittsburgh but he was what made Troy Polamalu so effective as he could cover deep while Polamalu roamed around. Now he offers great help in run support and pass coverage and is easily one of the top safeties in the game and has greatly helped Michael Griffin.

FS- Griffin stupidly was tried at CB when he first arrived in the league but now is at his true position and has racked up 11 interceptions in 26 career starts and had a huge game changing pick 6 in the pittsburgh game to clinch us home field advantage, he is on his way to becoming a top 5 safety in the NFL.

K- Bironas has been solid as always he is definately a top 5 kicker in the NFL.

P- Hentrich business as usual.

KR/PR- Chris Carr has been good but our special teams is never a threat to go to the house, would love to see us get a very good returner.

Draft dreams- Get a WR or CB in the first round and then adress the other in the Second then just pad out depth accross the board. I wouldnt complain however if we took a Stellar TE.
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oakland Raiders

QB JaMarcus Russell
Pretty good season overal. He had a few games that he looked pretty bad, but also had some that he looked great in. If we can get a stable coach to go along with a #1WR and a LT we will be fine.

RB Justin Fargas,Darren McFadden and Michael Bush
Fargas was hurt some of the season, but when he played he was effective. He always runs hard which is a good thing. McFadden was hurt most all the season with a turf toe, but he showed flashes of a good RB when healthy. He needs to be used more for us to get any better. Id say atleast 20-25 touches a game. Bush wasnt used alot, but when he did he was good. I hope we use him alot more in the future. A McFadden and Bush combo could be deadly.

FB Justin Griffith, Oren O'Neal and Luke Lawton
Both Griffith and O'Neal were hurt early in the season. Both looked alright when healthy. Lawton played alright.

WR Javon Walker, Johnnie Lee Higgins, Ronald Curry, Chaz Schilens and Ashley Lelie
Javon was a waste of $55 million. Was hurt during the middle of the season and didnt produce before it. JLH was a surprise and looks like he might be over #2 or 3 WR for the future. Ronald Curry was in the "doghouse" for reason unknown by me, but played alright given the chance. Chaz was also a surprise to me. He played good at the end of the season and looks like he could be a #3 guy for us. Lelie was decent during the beginning but fell late.

TE Zach Miller
Miller was our best player on offense IMO this season. He was our best passing weapon and also blocked decent. He would have had alot more catches if our oline was horrible.

LT Mario Henderson and Kwame Harris
Mario should he could play pretty well during the last few games of the season. He should be the starter going into next offseason unless we draft/sign a guy. Kwame Harris was well, Kwame Harris. He led the league in penalties and was near the top the list in sacks.

LG Robert Gallery
Gallery was probably our best olinemen this season. Yes, he can be considered a bust since he didnt pan out as a LT, but he has played at a high level as a LG.

C Jake Grove
Another decent season from Grove. He can still improve some in both blocking area's.

RG Cooper Carlisle
Coop was pretty consistant a RG for us. He getting up there in age, but still played good.

RT Cornell Green
He was better than Kwame but thats not saying much. He was 2nd in penalties in the league and was also up there in sacks. He need to find a answer here at RT

DE Derrick Burgess, Kalimba Edwards, Trevor Scott and Jay Richardson
Burgess was hurt for most of the season. He can still be a good player IMO if he can stay healthy. Edwards started out good with 5 sacks early in the season, but didnt play well during the last few games. Trevor Scott played decent when given the chance. He is the type of DE you bring in during the 3rd and 4th quarters to pass rush. Richardson cant get pressure on the QB. He is alright against the run.

DT Tommy Kelly, "Terd"ell Sands and Gerald Warren
Kelly was our best dlinemen this season IMO. He led our DT's in sacks and was alright in the Run. Terdell was a terd. Hes a waste of money and isnt the answer as our UT. Warren was alright. He can be replaced though

LB Kirk Morrison,Thomas Howard, Ricky Brown and Jon Alston
Kirk I thought played close to a pro bowl level as our MLB. He doesnt give big hits, but tackles well. Howard didnt have the kind of season he had last season, but still played at a high level as a OLB. Ricky Brown was decent at best, he can be replaced. Same to Alston.

CB Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Johnson, Stanford Routt and Justin Miller
Aso is the best CB plain and simple. He shut down every WR he went up against this season. He need to resign/franchise this guy as soon as possible. Chris Johnson stepped it up when he got rid of DeAngelo Hall. He should start at CB next season. Routt was decent. Miller played soom but was mostly a return guy

SS Gibril Wilson
IDK if he was worth the money in the offseason, but he did play good. He has few ints and was 2nd in tackles.

FS Michael Huff and Hiram Eugene
Huff can now be considered a bust. Eugene didnt play too good either. FS is a need now.

K Sabastian Janokowski
He kicked decent for us. Although he did miss the 75 yard attempt :). He hit the game winner against the Jets though from far out though.

P Shane Lechler
Best punter in the league IMO. Probably a top 2 or 3 in NFL history. He was a pro bowler once again and was a big reason why we won 5 games

KR Justin Miller
He ran back a few for us in not alot of times. I hope we keep him

PR Johnnie Lee Higgins
Should of been a probowler. He ran back I think 3 for td's.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
Amari Cooper or Melvin Gordon Please
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles:

QB - This is obviously going to be discussed a lot in the off-season, but I think Donovan has locked up one more year here in Philly. The only thing that would stand in his way is himself. He's made some interesting comments and there's speculation he doesn't even WANT to play here anymore, thankfully this hasn't caused any more controversy (yet) in the playoffs, but it's going to be a big deal in the off-season..when push comes to shove, whether McNabb stays or goes we really won't be looking to add another QB in the draft unless it's a late round guy to push AJ Feeley for the #3 job (behind Kolb and a veteran FA should McNabb depart).

RB - Westbrook is great but worries me...He can't stay on the field and is only getting older. Correll Buckhalter in my humble opinion is the most underrated running back (and arguably overall player) in the NFL. He suffered a few serious injuries a few seasons back but in the years leading up to the injuries and the few seasons since he's been a force. However it's time for him to move on this off-season while I wouldn't even mind bringing him back running back is still a HUGE need for this team. We've tried time and time again to bring in a change of pace and/or supplement back for Westbrook, with Ryan Moats, Tony Hunt and Lorenzo Booker all fizzling out. All of the top backs are options for us early in the draft. Whether it's a change of pace/bruiser type to compliment Westbrook's speed or a complete clone to supplement him, the position needs to be addressed.

FB - Dan Klecko and Kyle Eckel haven't been terrible. We tried Tony Hunt there early in the season as an H-back type and may look to go in the same direction next season with either Eckel or someone else. Not a high priority.

WR - DeSean Jackson brought a revelation to the way things are done in Philadelphia, easily getting the most playing time I've seen from a rookie on this team in a long time. He's locked into a starting role, but we all know about his size and what kind of receiver he is...This really isn't a problem for him personally, but the fact that Kevin Curtis is lining up across from him doesn't help. I've been a fan of Curtis since his days in St. Louis and have always had hope for him in a starting role, while most were saying he's a slot guy. However lining up across from Jackson in the starting lineup is an awkward fit and he may be better off in the slot as McNabb likes to go to him underneath on 3rd down conversions. He makes enough plays to be worthy of more playing time than most slot guys though, so what we could use is a tall, physical receiver to rotate with Jackson and Curtis at X, Y and in the slot. We don't necessarily need a WR early in the draft though, it's more likely that Jason Avant steps up, he's really come to his own and is entering a contract year. He's not quite a big physical receiver, but offers a different skill set than Curtis and Jackson.
EDIT: I completely forgot about Reggie Brown. That should say enough.

TE - This could be another reason we don't address the receiver position this off-season. LJ Smith already has both feet at the door and today was actually announced as the official backup to Brent Celek. Celek doesn't offer any more or less than Smith does, but is simply younger with a higher ceiling and more potential. He'll play a role next season, but likely in a backup role. Eagle fans are crying for Tony Gonzalez who can help turn Celek into a serviceable starter in the future, but if that doesn't work out drafting a TE early is entirely possible. Either way a stud TE needs to be brought into this offense, it's something we're clearly missing and we are an incomplete team without it. It's almost scary to think how good this offense would be with a TE that can block and catch.....

OL - I won't go position-by-position across the line because it's simply too confusing with this team. Jon Runyan and William Thomas are both free agents at tackle, and there are COUNTLESS ways we may replace them, making for a very very very confusing situation. Some say we should re-sign Thomas for one year, some are looking at Jordan Gross, some want to completely reload on tackles in the draft, and some want to kick Todd Herremans and/or Shawn Andrews (who's career being in flux does NOT help this entire situation) outside to the tackle positions....So really, I can not assess this situation until I find out our interest in Gross and whether or not we look to bring either Thomas or Runyan (more likely Thomas) back for another year. Should Andrews or Herremans kick outside, Mike McGlynn and Max Jean-Gilles will be looked at as internal replacements. Nick Cole has also been very impressive as a replacement for MJG after he went down replacing Andrews. So Runyan and Thomas can both walk and we can replace them internally without missing a beat, or we can go and sign Jordan Gross and draft a handful of linemen early, it's really a complete tossup. Some are even saying we need to draft Alex Mack or Max Unger to compete with Jamaal Jackson at center, which just complicates things more...OL is definitely a concern for this team and I'd be surprised to see it ignored early in the draft, but again, we do have internal options...so if we decide to stay put in the draft and the value isn't there we'd pass altogether before reaching for someone...we really just have to wait and see how things turn out. Depth should be needed at the VERY least.

DE - You're looking at a squad including Trent Cole, Juqua Parker, Victor Abiamiri, Chris Clemons, Darren Howard and last year's third round pick Bryan Smith. Cole and Parker are the unquestioned starters and both play at a high level, but in our defense scheme are constantly rotating with run stoppers Abiamiri and Howard. Clemons hardly saw the field early in the year and was looking like a FA bust but has REALLY stepped up his game in recent weeks when it has really counted. A lot of fans think he's playing at the level and doing the things we expected when we brought in Kearse a few years back, and it's true. He's all over the field, making tackles on receivers you just don't see out of a defensive end. Bryan Smith was a very questionable pick but has to at least be given a chance as the 6th defensive end, which sounds horrible but in our defense he can actually get some PT if he impresses. You can never have enough bodies on the defensive line in our defense, but no defensive ends will be added early in the draft or in free agency.

DT - Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley are definitely impressive and above average, but both are getting to the point where their high draft status doesn't save them when it comes to their spots as starters. Trevor Laws didn't get much playing time this year which is nothing new for our rookies but I expect him to slowly work more into the rotation next year and in the foreseeable future. Darren Howard also occasionally slides inside to help collapse the pocket on passing downs. A big NT type could be used for depth, but only in later rounds. That being said if someone like Raji fell to us (assuming his stock is as high as it could get by April), with the way we rotate our defensive linemen we may look at the position early. It'd really be a shocker though.

OLB - Chris Gocong has been solid at one spot and is safe, but I believe his rookie contract is up after next season and while he hasn't set the world on fire I really think 3-4 teams are going to aggressively pursue him because he'd really be a great fit. On the other side Omar Gaither came into the year with a ton of hype but seemingly fell right off the map and lost his job to Akeem Jordan, who has been nothing less of serviceable in his place. I'd say right now our situation at OLB is comfortable, but in the middle rounds we can really use a high upside player to challenge Jordan and/or replace Gocong in a few years should he leave...almost every LB we draft goes on vacation until his second year, so this would be the time. Passing on needs like TE/RB/OL shouldn't happen for a linebacker though, it'd have to be convenient.

MLB - Stewart Bradley looks like he can eventually develop into a pro-bowl player. Rookie Joe Mays has potential as his backup. Nothing to see here.

CB - Sheldon Brown and Asante Samuel are more than safe as starters. Joselio Hansen really stepped up this season, and him passing Lito Sheppard to become our nickel back had more to do with performance than Sheppard's desire to be traded (although I'm sure that was what was effecting his performance in the first place, but it's no knock against how Hansen has looked). Conveniently enough for him Hansen is set to hit the free-agent market, but I'm not sure a lot of teams will look at him as a sure-fire starter so he may be brought back. We have Jack Ikegwuonu set to return next season, and this being a draft website I'm sure we all know his situation. Of course he can't be completely counted on after such a devastating injury, so look for him and Hansen to fight for nickel duties unless Hansen leaves, then some mid-round or FA help will be needed. Should Ike completely fail to make it back AND Hansen depart, corner is a position we may look at relatively early if the opportunity arises but in the end we'll probably just be looking for some depth and security.

S - Brian Dawkins is a free-agent at seasons end and despite his age he's making it EXTREMELY hard for us to move on, not only with his heart and leadership but because of what he's shown on the field. At the beginning of the season it looked like he had lost a step, but once this team was fighting for it's life he became the unquestioned leader of the defense and arguably the face of the team itself. I'd be extremely surprised if we don't bring him back, unless we win the Super Bowl and he decides to ride off into the sunset. Then it'd be Quintin Demps at free safety which I really can't complain about. He really looks like the heir apparent we've been searching for for years now. Another Quintin, Mikell, has looked great these past few years and will be the unquestioned starter at SS next year whether we address the position in the draft or not. Our need at safety is completely overblown because the two of them should hold down the jobs for years to come, if anything we can use a little bit of competition (Mikell COULD be upgraded, but it's hardly a priority) and depth.

I won't bother with kicker and punter.

As far as the return game goes, right now DeSean Jackson (PR) and Quintin Demps (KR) handle the duties very nicely..it remains to be seen how their increased playing time will effect their status as our primary return man, but Jackson is such a weapon that I can't see us replacing him on returns. However we did pull Westbrook from return duties a few years back when he started taking a heavy load of reps, so the same may happen to Jackson sometime soon.

Last edited by GaMeTiMe : 01-07-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

u people have way too much time on your hands

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

assessed.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
It doesnt take that much time because you know your team.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

Quote:
You have 8000 posts. I've been a member here for a little more than a year longer than you. I have 247.

By the way, that actually took about 20 minutes of my time.

Last edited by GaMeTiMe : 01-07-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well i guess i meant at one time :D

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sufficiently bored to give this a run.

Chicago Bears

QB-Kyle Orton will go into next year as the starter. During the middle part of the season before his ankle injury, he was starting to come into his own and really looked like an NFL starting QB. Afterwards....not so much. Was pretty much a game manager which wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next year in a contract year, healthy, and with a full training camp taking first team reps. Behind him, Rexy is gone as the backup. No doubt in my mind. The city is soured on him and he needs a fresh start somewhere else. (Tampa, lol) Caleb Hanie was our 3rd QB all season and the coaching staff is supposed to very high on him. I look for us to sign a veteran backup and for he and Hanie to compete for the backup job. As for the draft, I think we could look for someone in the later rounds to develop and compete a bit with the current guys. I doubt we go QB high unless Stafford or Sanchez were to fall (I don't want Bradford here.) and the best players at our need positions were gone already.

RB- Forte is a beast. Should have have ORotY in any other year...He's a complete back who can stay on the field all 3 downs. He's capable of running inside, running outside, catching out of the backfield, splitting out wide and pass blocking. Theres a lot of debate amongst the fans here what type of back would best compliment him. Some think a speed back like CJ Spiller would be best to give our offense a lighting aspect while others, including me, think a big bruiser would be best because it would compliment Forte's patient, balanced running style. As for actual backups, we have Peterson and Wolfe who, while they are special teams beasts, aren't the greatest RB depth in the world.

FB- Blegh. Terrible. Jason McKie sucks and we could use a good lead blocker/short yardage back at this position. I'd love to bring in Leonard Weaver from Seattle or draft someone like Sutherland in the late rounds for the job.

WR- Hester has actually developed quite nicely imo and would have had a better year if Kyle Orton didn't have the deep ball accuracy of a catapult..... He will fit as one of our starters moving forward and if we find a way to get him the ball, he can be a playmaking deep threat who we need to get to the ball to. However, we don't have much else. Marty Booker and Rashied Davis are on the way out and Earl Bennett saw no time this year (so much for him being so "pro ready"....) and will probably be our slot guy at best. In my opinion, we need a tough, physical threat who can make the tough catches and go up and get passes. A thicker/taller guy would be nice....Crabtree, Britt and Nicks interest me the most early on while guys like Barden and Marko interest me a little later.

TE- Prolly the best spot position on the team. Greg Olsen was really coming alive this year and Clark is just another good option for us.

LT- St. Clair manned the position capably all year but he's likely gone as FA leaving Chris Williams with the job. Hopefully he lives up to his draft slot and becomes a good pass blocking LT for us.

LG- Josh Beekman manned this position all year and did better than a lot of people probably expected out of him. His best fit however is probably as our future C when Kreutz leaves so a new starter would be good by me.

C- Still manned fairly capably by Kreutz this year. I think he has some gas left and will be decent for at least another year or two. As I said, I think Beekman will be able to slide into the C spot down the road as well.

RG- Roberto Garza played here all year and was pretty meh. I'd like to upgrade this spot especially since we'll probably be facing the Williams wall twice a year for a while yet. As long as we get a new starter at one of the OG positions, I'll be happy.

RT- Manned by Tait this year and went downhill fast. I doubt he's got more than a year left in him, if that. Drafting a future replacement would be real nice.

DE- Another spot on the team that quickly became very weak. Alex Brown is well rounded but has never been a great pass rusher that we need while Ogunleye is nearing the end of his contract and wasn't all that effective this year. Mark Anderson hasn't been heard of really since his rookie year to add to the woes here. Upgrading the pass rush is our top need imo.

DT- A pretty deep spot that isn't bad. I'm hoping that Harris was held back this year due to injuries and that he isn't going to be one of those lineman that gets their big money and then drops off the face of the earth. Seriously....5 sacks this year and at least 2 of those were him simply being the first to a QB who had fallen down in the backfield (Green and Orlovsky.) Israel Idonije was beasting it up this year and may have been our best d-lineman. Anthony Adams was decent as our NT once Dusty went down and Marcus Harrison has seen some time in both UT and NT roles.

LB- Urlacher and Briggs will hold down their spots for a while at least but the SLB spot changed hands with Hillenmeyer out and Nick Roach in. Some depth there might be nice but I don't see any huge holes at this spot that need filled.

CB- Sort of a wildcard. Was our lack of pass defense because our secondary is bad or because our pass rush was so terrible? Probably a bit of both but having a healthy Tillman, Graham and possibly Vasher (if he's not cut) isn't bad if you ask me. Knowing the defensive history of our GM and coach, it wouldn't surprise me to see us take a corner in the first 4 rounds though.

S- SS is manned pretty capably by Kevin Payne but we need a starting FS. Mike Brown may not be retained barring him accepting a very low salary and even then, he will probably have to compete for the job. Craig Steltz was decent though unspectacular in limited action, but I really think we can do better. I look for this to be addressed in FA or early in the draft.

K- Robbie Gould. See avatar.

P- Brad Maynard is still one of the better kickers in the league with pinning teams deep and being accurate on his punts, but I'd still rather have a guy who can blast the ball deep. I doubt we draft someone, but it wouldn't surprise me to find someone to compete with him in training camp or something.

KR/PR- Hester fell off this year a lot return wise but he was getting a lot more time at WR....and we did find someone just as capable in Dan Manning who I hate having in on defense (I'm less afraid to tackle than he is.....) but he dominated as a KR.

more to come....

Needs going into the offseason:
1.) DE
2.) OG/RT/OL depth
3.) Physical WR
4.) FS

Last edited by BeerBaron : 01-07-2009 at 05:45 PM.
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Actually didn't take too long. I just wrote Lions player name then either terrible or suck in a different way other than Calvin/Kevin Smith. Not much thinking required just fast typing.

Should have just summarized.

Calvin/Kevin Smith/Avril/Sims/Gosder-good

Rest of Lions-suck

Blame:Millen/Marinelli

Any Hope?: tons of cap room, and draft picks, and the fact the record goes to 0-0 every year. Don't even have to erase the 0 in the W column from last year. Just keep that and erase the 16.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2008 San Francisco 49ers (7-9)

Quarterback
J.T. O'Sullivan was our starter for the first half of the season, and he quickly proved he was not the answer, and should be gone after this season.

Alex Smith re-injured his shoulder and missed the year. Ok I know a lot of people have put the bust label on him at this point, which is rightfully so. Honestly though I think two things have help him back in his career in my mind. His age, and injures. I think if he comes back next year and stays healthy he might finally be the QB all Niner fans hoped he would be.

Shaun Hill has done nothing, but win games since becoming a starter. At the end of the day that's all you want from your Qb isn't it? I'm not saying he is the answer, but I am saying you can't say he's not.

Running Back
Frank Gore set another franchise mark this season despite missing two games. The first back in franchise history to rush for over 1,000 yards in three straight seasons. He continues to be one of the best backs in the NFC.

Deshaun foster was wildley inconsistant and should not be back next year.

Michael Robinson was a big time contributer on special teams and was an alternate for the pro bowl. Also helped out a lot in the receieving game. A breakaway threat in the backfield would be a welcomed addition.

Fullback
This was a revolving door all year. Zak Keasy started out and was decent, a much better special teams player. Michael Robinson contributed a little bit, but Sean Ryan was probably the best of them. Stil a true blocking back is needed for next season.

WR
Issac Bruce still has it. Led the team in every recieving catigory. He will reutrn for next year, but it will probably be his last.

Bryant Johnson started off the year hot and ended up getting injured at mid-season. When he returned he became a very reliable target, and had some clutch grabs in the last few games. I am still mixed on whether or not he will be back.

Arnaz Battle continued being the go to guy on third downs before he suffered a season ending toe injury.

Josh Morgan the rookie out of Virginia Tech made the 49ers look like they got a steal. He won the starting job at mid-season and was second on the team in TD catches. He showed he had the ability to make the acrobatic catch and stretch the field. This guy could finally be the go to target the 49ers have been searching for.

Jason HillFinally was able to work his way into the rotation this year. He made the most of it catching his first two career TD's. He showed enough potential to fill in for either Bruce or Johnson when they move on.

Dominique Zieglar
A former QB at Baylor was signed to the practice squad this season. At mid-season he was elevated to the active roster and made many clutch catches. The future is bright for this young guy.

Tight Ends
Vernon Daviswas having a rough year until Mike Singletary became HC. After that however he had a season that got him an alternate selection in the pro bowl. Vernon has become one of the best blocking TE's in the league, and with the right offensive cordinator next year could finally have a consistant chance to shine as a reciever.

Delaine WalkerUntil his injury was continuing his developement as a reliable slot reciever. Billy Bajmea also continued to be a very consistant blocker and flashed some potential as a reciever late in the year.

O-line-
Joe Staley the last half of the year matured into the franchise tackle we all thought he could be.

Chilo RachalAfter earning the job late in the year showed potential to be something special, will be our LG of the future.

Eric HietmannHad his best year as a 49er this year. Continues to be one of the more consistant centers in the NFC.

David BaasAfter gaining confidence back after his injury showed the promise we all saw in him back in the 2005 draft.

Adam Snydershould really be the 6th man in the rotation can play any spot along the offensive line. RT is the teams biggest need.

Defense

D-line
Issac Sopoagahad his best year as a niner. Still not as consistant as we would like but very solid glad we brought him back.

Aubryo Franklindidn't have a very good year until the end of the season. He played well in the last few games, but still is nothing more than a rotational nose tackle.

Ray Mcdonaldhad a terrific season after sitting most of last year. He developed a great bull rush move from the inside, which made it a lot easier for our outside pass rush. The light bulb really came on for this guy and he has no where to go, but up.

Kentwan Balmersaw action on only special teams for most of the season. Towards the end of the year played a lot better with expanded time. I believe the plan is to bulk him up even more and have him be our NT next year.

Justin Smith was worth every penny in that contract. led the d-line in tackles and was second on the team in sacks. Played his best when we finally let him settle in at defensive end. Still very happy we brought him to the bay area.

Linebackers
Patrick Williswas arguably the best ILB in the NFL this year. Really inproved his game in coverage from last year. Not much else I can say about this guy other than he is spectacular.

Takeo Spikeswas everything we hoped he would be. Finished thrid on the team in tackles and tied for first in interceptions. A great leader and mentor for our young linebackers. I really hope he is back next year.

Manny Lawsongets my vote for the most improved player on the team. Looked like he was trying to regain confidence in his knee early in the year. Then at mid-season really turned it on. Became very stout against the run and great in coverage. If he stays healthy he will be a special one.

Parys Haralsonreally emerged as a very good pass rush threat. Led the team in sacks, and has finally settled in, in his role as a situational pass rusher.

Defensive Backs

Walt HarrisSlowed down a little this year, but was still very steady. Finished tied with Spikes for the team lead in interceptions. Our young corners have already really benifited from having him around.

Nate Clementscontinued to show why he is one of the most consistant corners in the NFC.

Tarrell Brownshowed potential to start for Walt Harris when he is done. Could be a very solid all around corner.

Reggie SmithSaw very limited time, but looked dominate when he played.

Mark RomanProbably one of the worst Free Safties in history

Michael Lewisstill proved to be one of the best in the box SS's in the NFC.

Dashon Goldsonwas very dissapointing. Looked more like a strong safety than a free safety.

Team needs going into next year
1.RT
2.FS
3.Pass Rusher
4.ILb
5.FB
6.RB
7.D-lineman
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB
Tom Brady is one of the league's best players, but obviously he was out for this season after hurting his knee against the Chiefs. Brady's status is up in the air for next season as well and their is a lot of uncertainty amongst Patriots fans if they can count on Brady coming back as his old self, and some question if he will come back at all. Matt Cassel stepped in for Brady and had a great season after a shaky start. Cassel is a free agent but was franchised and wants to stay in NE. Cassel is young and talented, but he could be traded depending on Brady's health. Kevin O'Connell, a third round pick in last years draft, is very talented but the emergence of Cassel has left him somewhat of a forgotten man. Matt Gutierrez is a former UDFA who is another talented young QB but he is in a tough spot with 2 proven players and a first year third round pick ahead of him. No QB is needed in this years draft, but a veteran FA could be brought in depending on Brady's health and what ends up happening wit Cassel.

RB
Laurence Maroney has had an injury riddled start to his young career and some are beginning to lose faith. He has all of the talent in the world but can't stay healthy. Sammy Morris has been a fantastic physical back for us, but he has been oft injured as well. LaMont Jordan had an impressive first season in New England and can really pound the ball. Kevin Faulk is one of the most dependable players we have, he is a great third down back and is money in the red zone. He is small, old, and does not have great speed but he still finds ways to hurt defenses as a runner, receiver, and returner. Heath Evans is valuable as a fullback/RB 'tweener, he is not a #1 guy but he does everything he is asked to and never makes mistakes. BenJarvus Green-Ellis is another powerful north-south runner like Morris and Jordan had a few impressive games when we were injury depleted, but the rookie UDFA fell of the map when Morris and Jordan were healthy. Contrary to the belief of many mockers, the Pats do not need a power back. What we do need is a back who contribute not only as a runner but a receiver and returner. Faulk is getting old and we need to start looking for a relacement. I'm not giving up on Maroney either, I see running back as a day 2 need but would not be opposed to taking the right guy in the second (McCoy, Moreno, James Davis).

WR
The Patriots have two of the games best in Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Moss is a great deep threat who could be the NFL's best when he tries, but he gets lazy on routes and gives up a lot. He did that a lot this year after looking pretty determined in his record breaking 2007 campaign. Welker handles the short passing game, he busts his ass every play and catches everything thrown his way. He is fearless and is one of the teams most valuable players. Jabar Gaffney is a decent third option but nothing more, he had a costly drop against the Colts that would've won us the game and given us a playoff spot but other than that was relatively dependable. Kelley Washington, Sam Aiken, and Matt Slater are all primarily special teamers and good ones at that. They all got some balls thrown their way but they are basically role players and do their jobs. the staff has high expectations for the rookie Slater who is being groomed to be the next Troy Brown; Slater has seen time not only as a receiver and returner but also as a DB and coverage guy. Wide receiver is hardly our biggest concern but I would not be suprised to see us take a wideout as early as the third, possibly even the second if the staff loves the kid.

TE
Former first round pick Ben Watson is not the prolific pass catcher Pats fans envisioned when we took the freakish athlete, but he is extremely intelligent and has improved as a blocker. He needs to improve as a receiver though, he is big and has limitless talent but he looks lost while running routes and drops some passes. David Thomas is a good receiver but is undersized and won't offer much as a blocker, he is more of an oversized slot receiver. He didn't do much last season in his third besides commit a few bonehead penalties, he was hurt all of 2007 but showed some flashes as a rookie and looked like he could really make an impact in the passing game; again he regressed this past season though. Tight end could be a need for the Pats, Watson is inconsistent and has not lived up to his expectations and there is basically nobody behind him. We have bigger needs but again I could see the staff falling in love with a guy like Brandon Pettigrew or James Casey.

OL
On the left side, Matt Light is a good blindside protector but is aging. A replacement is not needed now but definitely will be in a few years. Left guard Logan Mankins is an absolute monster, he plays with a mean streak and is a beast in the running and passing games. Mankins is one of the league's best guards. Center Dan Koppen is a good leader and solid starter but he looked pretty bad at times this year, especially when facing 3-4 nose tackles. Steve Neal was hurt so Billy Yates stepped in for him at right guard. Neal is a better player but Yates impressed me with his run blocking. Mark Levoir took over for Nick Kaczur on the right side late in the season and was solid but unspectacular, but I'll take him over the over-penalized underachieving snitch Kazcur any day. Russ Hochstein is our main depth guy, he can play anywhere on the interior OL as well as a situational TE and FB. He had some dumb penalties and got beat quite a bit this year, which exposed the fact that he is more of a stopgap guy. A guy who can play anywhere on the OL would be a huge addition to this team, when our OL got banged up this year we got pushed around a little. Max Unger our Alex Mack would be ideal, but I don't know if we go OL that early.

DE
Richard Seymour and Ty Warren are two of the best at what they do in the league. They are forces against the run and at least one of them will occupy multiple blockers on almost every play. Seymour has the ability to blow up a double team and make a play in the backfield, he is an absolute force. Warren is very underrated, his numbers were down this year but he does his job very well. Jarvis Green could start for many teams, he is a fantastic pass rusher and has a knack for making game changing plays. He is used mainly on third downs but is still great against the run, he is one of the most valuable and unselfish players on this team. He knows his role and has been playing it perfectly for 7 years. LeKevin Smith looked good when he was on the field this year, he is a talented young guy who can also play DT on passing downs or when we move to a 4 man front.

NT
When bringing up the games best DTs, Vince Wilfork is a name that should always come up. Wilfork is a massive presence who is always double teamed and just eats up space. With all of the attention he commands he will still blow up plays in the backfield against the run and pass. Wilfork plays with a lot of passion but will let it get the best of him at times, and he will get penalized a bit. Wilfork is great but he has been suspended at times and the Pats can not afford to lose him, we have no other true space eating nose tackle. Mike Wright is very undersized, but he is a high motor guy and a great pass rusher. Wright is definitely a good backup but if we lost Wilfork to injury or suspension we would be screwed, a space eater like Ron Brace in day 2 is definitely a need.

ILB
DROY Jerod Mayo is already one of the best young linebackers in the game. Mayo can do it all and the staff absoltely raves about him week in and week out, he will be a fixture on this defense for a long time to come. Other than Mayo, there is a lot left to be desired. Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau were some of the best lineackers in the league at one point, but they need to hang it up, especially Bruschi. Seau is still servicable against the run but Bruschi is just done. I love Tedy and he has proved everything he can prove, but he needs to hang 'em up. Seau is still playing for a ring so I wouldn't be suprised to see him back, but neither of them are the answer. Rookie UDFA Gary Guyton was a very pleasant suprise, he is a superb athlete who can fly around the field sideline to sideline and make plays. He is also great on special teams. Guyton does not really have a true position, he plays both inside and outside, but at the very least he will be a fantastic depth player and special teamer. The kid has a bright future in New England, but I think we are still in the market for a starter. If a guy like Maualuga falls I would not be suprised to see the Pats pick him up.

OLB
This team really hurt when Adalius Thomas went out for the year. He was a huge free agent acquisition in 2007 and had an up and down start to his first season in New England, but he was a force towards the end of the season and could have been our best player in the playoffs. He looked like he was having an all-pro year until he got hurt this year, and our defense was lost without him. It will certainly be nice having #96 back on the field. Mike Vrabel did not have the monster year he had in 2007, but he definitely still has something left in the tank. Vrabel is an all around great linebacker and is a very smart football player, one of our teams biggest leaders. In his third year, Pierre Woods finally showed that talent Belichick has been raving about. A former UDFA, Woods made showed some flashes this year but needs to get some consistency. Rosie Colvin got cut at the beginning of the year but was signed at the end of the year when we were injury riddled at LB, and I was impressed. Not sure if he'll be back but I've always been a big fan of Rosie's. Rookie Shawn Crable had his season cut short due to injury, but the staff has very high hopes for him. He is a freakish athlete and is tailor-made for our defense. Guyton also saw a lot of time playing outside and he has some potential there as well. Vince Redd got some PT as a rookie and has a ton of talent, he can line up as a DE on passing downs too. I do not see DE/LB as a first round need. We have a lot of talent here that just needs to be developed, with Adalius back I have a lot of faith in this unit.

CB
Ellis Hobbs is decent, but he is one of the most inconsistent players I have ever seen. He is not a #1 corner which he was forced to be this season with Asante gone. Hobbs will make some big plays on defense and in the return game but he also never ceases to give up a TD or talk trash about other teams in the newspapers. Deltha O'Neal absolutely sucks, there is nothing good I can say about him. He needs to be cut. Lewis Sanders isn't anything special, I was really impressed with him in the preseason but he didn't do much when it counted. Second year guy Mike Richardson showed some flashes this year, he looks like a pretty tough corner. He is a good special teamer and improved as a corner as the year went on. I am excited about rookies Terrance Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite. Wheatley looked like he could be a starter for us but he had his season cut short to injury. Wilhite should be a good nickle/dime guy for us at the very least, he and Wheatley both have spped to burn and impressed me in their rookie seasons. However, corner is still probably our top need despite some promising young guys. Malcolm Jenkins should be long gone and Vontae Davis might not be the best fit; but I would love to see us take Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, Mike Mickens, DeAngelo Smith, or maybe even Macho Harris with at least one of our 3 day one picks.

S
Brandon Meriweather improved drastically, he is a ballhawk and a playmaker. He still has room to get better, but he looks like he is going to be a great player for us. He has the ability to play free and strong which makes him that much more valuable, he just needs to learn how to catch. He picked off 4 passes this year but he dropped way too many. He is also a great hitter and is solid against the run. Rodney Harrison is likely done, he went down for likely the last time. He has meant so much to this team and I would love to see him come back and coach if he indeed doesn't come back. James Sanders is solid but unspectacular. He is a sure tackler and great against the run but his lack of athleticism really can be exposed when he is in coverage. He is a very smart and very tough player, but I think he is best suited to be a backup. If we got a new starter through the draft or FA, I think he would be one of the best depth guys in the league since he can play both spots. Safety is a day one need in my opinion, and Meriweather can play both spots so we realistically could go after any safety.

K
Stephen Gostkowski is one of the best kickers in the game. He has the leg strength, the accuracy, and he comes through in the clutch. It is fun to watch him boot it on kickoffs.

P
Chris Hanson is solid. We should not be in the market for a punter.

KR
Say what you want about his coverage, but there is no disputing that Ellis Hobbs is a great kick returner. Matt Slater should be seeing a lot of time here too. Hopefully we take someone in the draft who can bring something to the table in the return game.

PR
Wes Welker or Kevin Faulk are going to get some more rest with Matt Slater handling PR duties in the future, but again I hope we draft someone who offers something in the return game.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland

QB-Brady Quinn will start. Anderson will be the backup or get traded or cut. We don't have a #3 QB worthy of an NFL roster right now.

RB-Lewis' days could be numbered in Cleveland. He had a bad year, but then again so did everyone else on offense, I think if we upgrade the right side of the offensive line and get better WR and therefore QB play that Lewis will have another season like 2007. Either way we need a longterm answer at RB. Harrison is a good backup and change of pace runner, Jason Wright a great special teams player and one of the best pass blocking backs in the NFL. Vickers is a good versatile fullback.

WR-Edwards needs to learn how to catch and not be such a prima donna. Stallworthless will be cut. Syndric Steptoe should be our #5 WR not our #3. Cribbs is a super weapon on special teams as a returner and in kick coverage, and is good for specialty plays on offense. Jurevicius will be back next year but he's old and hurt. We need 2 new WRs.

TE-Winslow is good, but 2009 is probably his last year in Cleveland b/c his contract runs out. He could be trade bait. Martin Rucker is a promising looking young receiver at TE. Heiden is a reliable TE, and Dinkins is a good blocker and special teamer. No changes needed here this offseason.

OT-Joe Thomas had a sophomore slump but he is still one of the 6 best tackles in the NFL. I expect him to take a step towards being elite in the new offense next year, especially if it's a WCO. Kevin Shaffer didn't look too good in 2008, but put a good RG next to him and he'll be fine.

OG-Eric Steinbach is very good, he solidifies the left of the OLine with Thomas. Hadnot is average and he is best served to backup the C and RG. Tucker is great at RT and RG, but he's been injured a LOT the past few years and is old. We need a new starting RG.

C-Fraley wasn't too good this year, he got dominated too often. Hopefully we sign or draft a good young center, but if not then I think Fraley can bounce back and have one more decent year.

DE-Corey Williams was a disappointment considering how much was traded to get him and the contract he signed. However he was battling a shoulder injury all season and was learning to be a 5 technique DE after being in Green Bay's 4-3 where he attacked upfield instead of holding blockers. he's athletic enough and has the right frame to work in a 3-4 if he's healthy and takes in the coaching. Robaire Smith is as solid as you can get but he was hurt all 2008 and may or may not return b/c of age and injuries. Shaun Smith is a versatile and quality DL but he has a big mouth and talks trash to everyone including his own teammates and might get the boot possibly b/c of the fight with Quinn. Potentially a good unit but it wasn't last year.

NT-Rogers is an allpro type of guy. We traded a 3rd round pick and Leigh Bodden (who is expected to be released this offseason) to the Lions for him, a major steal. This is the best position on our defense by a million miles.

OLB-Wimbley had 11 sacks as a rookie, then did almost nothing in 2007 with 5 sacks, and then did even less this year. We stopped blitzing him as much b/c he doesn't get pressure with his one dip move. He is bad against the run and average in coverage. He and Alex Hall (who had a hot start and bad finish) should man one LB spot in 2009. The other spot hopefully goes to a top rookie or free agent pass rusher, if not it will probably go to Antwan Peek who suffered a bad bad injury and might not play in the NFL again depending on his recovery. This is probably the worst unit on the team.

ILB-DQwell Jackson showed he is a very nice ILB, though he's be better suited at WLB in a 4-3, he made plays at RILB in the 3-4 and is a keeper. Andra Davis is gone, so that leaves us with Leon Williams - who really regressed in his 3 year career and hasn't developed much at all- and Beau Bell, the rookie 4th round pick who played almost not at all in 2008 and is injured as usual. A LILB is possibly the Browns' biggest need this year to shore up the run defense and make plays on a bad front seven.

CB-Eric Wright had a good 2nd season, though he was inconsistent and needs to turn his head more when a throw is about to get the receiver. He is usually very good in man coverage though and makes a lot of plays. Brandon McDonald was inconsistent as well but he made just as many plays as anyone on the team and looks to be a good solution at #2 corner or nickelback for the longterm. Daven Holly didn't play in 2008, hopefully he returns and is the nickelback. McDonald and Wright are probably our two most promising young defenders on the team and give us 2 playmakers in the secondary who can really get the INTs and the big INT returns.

S-Brodney Pool bounced back from a bad 2007 with a solid 2008 and looks like a good safety, though strong safety might be a better fit than his free safety spot. Sean Jones was playing hurt all year and had a mediocre season. he is a free agent this offseason and might not return. We need to sign or draft a good starting safety to solidify the starting defensive backfield. Pool/Wright/McDonald and whoever the other safety will be will be a good young secondary to bulid around for the time being.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Green Bay Packers

A year ago at this time the Packers surpassed expectations and were NFC North division champions with the youngest roster in the league. This year made last year look like an apporation, especially on defense. There are a lot of areas that need to be addressed for Green Bay to be a legitimate title contender.

Offense - B
The Packers have a lot of young talent and if they start clicking they could be a unit that makes the rest of the league nervous. They have to fix the offensive line for sure. I believe that they have to do that through the draft because teams overpay for free agent lineman in the offseason. There are a hand full of lineman that could help the Packers in this draft class. One of the top lineman should be available when the Packers pick at 9 if they should choose to go that way. I do think that Mike McCarthy and Joe Philbin need to get more inventive with their play calling. The Packers play too conservative, they need to open up the offense and let Rodgers, Grant, Jennings and company make plays.

Quarterbacks- A
Aaron Rodgers is the guy, he's doing what nobody thought would be possible and making Green Bay fans say "Brett who?" He's got a live accurate arm and he is a bargain with the 6 year $66 million extension he signed before this season. After Rodgers though, the Packers have two unproven rookies in Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm. Flynn looked decent in the preseason and Brohm looked atrocious. Brohm was projected as a first round pick at the end of his junior season and the word is that he's been working very hard all season and using the struggles in preseason as motivation. It seems like at least one of Brohm/Flynn will work out should they be needed. Hopefully Green Bay is set at quarterback for the next 10+ years.

Running backs- B-
Is Ryan Grant the guy? Personally I like him but he disappeared this year on more than a few occasions. We really didn't see the guy that ripped off 200 yards in the playoffs last year all season. He didn't have a bad season, he got over 1000 yards but we couldn't lean on him when we needed to and that's a big reason why this season was so disappointing. Brandon Jackson looked useful when he was healthy and caught a seam. Deshawn Wynn was impressive against the Lions, but most everybody looked impressive against the Lions this year. I don't think that Green Bay needs another running back but the running backs they do have need to put it all together and be productive like the end of last season.

Fullbacks- B+
John Kuhn and Korey Hall are both good lead blockers, capable recievers, and valuable special teams players. I'm glad to have them both on my team.

Wide Receivers- A
Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Ruvell Martin. They are all blue collar, productive, reliable receivers. Donald Driver is getting a little long in the tooth, but there is no need to replace him. Jones, Nelson, and Martin all deserve more time on the field anyways. Jennings is as sure handed as they come, save the last game against Detroit where he uncharacteristically dropped a few passes. Driver is absolutely fearless and will run a slant across the middle on anybody, Jones is a great deep threat. Nelson is a great athlete that's also valuable on special teams. And Martin's big frame comes in handy in the red zone. You can't ask for a better core of receivers.

Tight Ends- C
Donald Lee is a solid player, fairly unremarkable. Jermichael Finley is who I want to talk about though. He probably made a mistake leaving college after only two years playing at Texas, but his mistake beneifited the Packers. He didn't see a lot of playing time this year, but he seems to be developing a chemistry with Aaron Rodgers that gets me excited about the future. Finley is a great athlete. Finley will definitely steal more of Lee's playing time next year. Tory Humphrey is also on the roster. He sees an occasional snap in two tight end sets and can line up at fullback every now and then. He contributes on special teams also, he's a useful player. The tight ends have potential if Finley can reach his potential.

Tackles - C+
The Taucher/Clifton era is reaching it's end. The injury bugs are starting to get to them both. After a solid nine years of bookending it for Favre, it's time to start looking for replacements. The people we have drafted to replace them eventually, Colledge, Moll, Barbre are guards in the NFL. If a top tackle is available when the Packers select, and odds are that there will be I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the trigger. I don't know much about Breno Giocomini but he's got great size and has some chemistry with Spitz and Brohm, all three teammates at Louisville.

Guards - C
Colledge and Spitz established themselves as starters this year but they weren't all that impressive. They both flash potential but they didn't make the holes that they did at the end of last year for Grant. They have some decent young depth with Moll, Barbre, Sitton.

Center - A
Scott Wells is an outstanding center and I would say the Packers best offensive lineman. Spitz and Barbre both can also play center if need be. The Packers are set at center.

Defense - C
The Packers defense was one of the most disappointing units in all of football this year. The took a major step back after an impressive 2007 campaign. I think that cleaning house was a good first step in fixing the defense and hiring a guy like Mike Nolan or Jim Haslett to run the defense would do a lot to improve the level of play. There are rumors floating around that if Mike Nolan is hired he may install a 3-4 defense. I think that the Packers have most of the pieces that they need to be a solid 3-4 team, maybe a stand up pass rusher away.

Defensive End - C+
Aaron Kampman is the best football player on the Packers roster as far as I'm concerned. He has everything that you look for in a defensive end and even more, a football player. If you like football you like Aaron Kampman. Cullen Jenkins is also a player that any coach would want on his roster. Unfortnatly, he had some injury problems this year and didn't see much playing time. He is more of a run stuffer than a pass rusher but he does contribute. I think Kampman is athletic enough to stand up in a 3-4 defense but could also be an outstanding down lineman in the 3-4 and Jenkins is a prototypical 3-4 end. Jeremy Thompson is promising. He didn't find the field much this year, but based on his production in college and his athletic ability, he could be a valuable contributer to the rotation. Mike Montgomery had a descent year with 59 tackles but only managed 2.5 sacks. Jason Hunter is a great special teams player and can fill in at end when he's needed. I like Hunter a lot. Fixing the pass rush is priority number 1 this off season I believe. The Packers were 25th in the NFL managing only 27 sacks. If the Packers stay in the 4-3 or switch to the 3-4 they NEED a pass rusher desperately to play opposite Kampman. Julius Peppers would be a dream come true if the Panthers were stupid enough to let him go. Terrell Suggs would also be great. Bertrand Berry could be an option for the right price.

Defensive Tackle- C-
The defensive tackles disappointed me this year. Pickett had a subpar year as did Cole and Jolley. And Harrell has been a perennial disappointment since he got to Green Bay. Pickett could be an outstanding 3-4 nose tackle and Cole could both also manage. Harrell could possibly be a 3-4 end if he was able to keep his name off the injury repot for a week or two. This is a group that needs improvement next year. If they can add one productive player to the rotation i think they'll have enough.

Linebackers- C
The word disappointing keeps coming up, but no one on the packers roster disappoints me more than AJ Hawk. When you draft a linebacker with the 5th pick solid is not good enough. He doesn't make enough plays. He gets blown off the ball and when he gets to the ball carrier he gets driven backwards a lot. He needs to be the leader of the defense and he needs to play with more fire. Nick Barnett was injured most of the year and that hurt a lot. Desmond Bishop filled in for him and played decently. Brandon Chillar and Brady Poppinga are both serviceable starters. Spencer Havner finally graduated to the active roster from the practice squad. I liked Havner at UCLA and I'd love to see him get a shot. If the switch to 3-4 is made I think Poppinga becomes even more valuable. He is a good pass rusher and average at best in coverage. If you ask him to rush the passer more and relieve him his coverage duties he'll be more productive I feel. A 3-4 linebacking crew of Hawk - Bishop - Barnett - Poppinga has some potential. Michael Boley would make an outstanding 3-4 outside linebacker. Karlos Dansby Bart Scott, and Channing Crowder are also free agents that could make the Packers linebackers a force to be reckoned with.

Secondary- B+
Charles Woodson and Nick Collins both made the pro bowl this year. Woodson is playing the best football of his life right now, there is no reason to believe he'll slow down at all in the near future. Nick Collins finally started to reach his potential. I was ready to replace him after last year but he really got it done this year. Atari Bigby couldn't follow up an impressive 2007 season due to injuries but should be back next year. Aaron Rouse played well when he got opportunities, so safety isn't a position of need this year but it might be too hard to pass on Taylor Mays if he's there when the Packers select. Tramon Williams played well in the nickel and that's where he'll stay I think. Al Harris is probably gone this off season and frankly I'm ok with that. He can still play but he made too many mental errors this year. It's time to move on. Maybe Patrick Lee or Will Blackmon could replace him but I wouldn't mind bringing in somebody new. In the unlikely event that the Raiders let Nnamdi Asumugha I think the Packers should back a truck load of money to his house and give him the keys to the city. Daunte Robinson and Marcus Trufaunt may also come available. When Ted Thompson made a big splash by signing Woodson the secondary went from bad to outstanding, I think it's time to do that again.

Special Teams- B-
Mason Crosby is a good young kicker. There are only a couple kickers that I would rather have than him in the league. We need to find a punter some where. We had to replace out punter mid season this season when Frost wasn't getting it done. Jeremy Kapinos looked alright the last few games so maybe we already have the answer on the roster. Will Blackmon is an exciting punt returner, we couldn't ask for much more out of a punt returner so we're set there. Jordy Nelson and Tramon Williams among others did fine returning kicks so it's not necessary to find a return man this off season.

Bottom line is the Packers have talent, they just need to put it all together and play up to there potential. We need our playmakers to make big plays more often on both sides of the ball.

Last edited by senormysterioso : 01-08-2009 at 12:11 AM.
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
ClevelandBrandon McDonald was inconsistent as well but he made just as many plays as anyone on the team and looks to be a good solution at #2 corner or nickelback for the longterm.
Can anyone follow up on this? I was under the impression that McDonald was easily upgradeable, and that Malcolm Jennings was a very big possibility for Cleveland in the 1st..but if McDonald wasn't as bad as I thought, it's possible they look in a different direction..
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
buckeyes12
Rookie

buckeyes12 needs more cowbell.

NYG > your team
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll just do a brief summary of each player to the best of my knowledge...im not sure about all the contract details, but i'll give it a go :)

QB:

1: Ben Roethlisberger - 6'5" 241 - 1st round Miami Ohio - 5yrs pro (franchise QB, new contract, staying for years to come)
2: Byron Leftwich - 6'5" 250 - 1st round Marshall - 6yrs pro (Excellent backup, clutch and reliable, may look for a starting job elsewhere)
3: Dennis Dixon - 6'4" 205 - 5th round Oregon - Rookie (Future backup in the burgh, great speed and arm strength, smart guy, versatile)
4: Charlie Batch - 6'2 216 - 2nd round Eastern Michigan - 11yrs pro (Steady vet, but been injured and is more than likely gone)

FB:

1: Carey Davis - 5'10" 225 - UDFA Illinois - 2yrs pro (Servicable, below average blocker, good runner for a fullback, average hands, replacable)

RB:

1: Willie Parker - 5'10" 209 - UDFA Northern Carolina - 5yrs pro (Slowing down perhaps, still a good starter in this league, still great speed, average between the tackles, poor reciever maybe, allot of heart, will more than likely prove me wrong. I wouldnt be suprised to see him elsewhere in the near future)
2: Mewelde Moore - 5'11" 209 - 4th round Tulane - 5yrs pro (Great 3rd down back, great hands for a RB, good pass protector, smart guy, unselfish, cheap, should stay for sure)
3: Gary Russell - 5'10" 230 - UDFA Minnesota - 1yr pro (Great future ahead of him at Minnesota, flunked due to poor grades...strong downhill runner, pushes the pile, good short yardage back, also returns kicks, staying)
4: Rashard Mendenhall - 5'10" 225 - 1st round Illinois - Rookie (Hard to judge on his rookie year, but should be the eventual starter, all the potential in the world, big fast strong powerful good hands, should be here for a lonf time)

TE:

1: Heath Miller - 6'5" 250 - 1st round Virginia - 4yrs pro (Great all round TE, good at everything...recieving and blocking. Perfect TE for the Steelers, staying for years to come)
2: Matt Spaeth - 6'7" 270 - 3rd round Minnesota - 1yr pro (BIG target for Ben, showed allot promise in games where Heath has been out. Good run blocker too, staying in the burgh)
3: Sean McHugh - 6'5" 265 - 7th round Penn State - 2yrs pro (Plays FB too, good blocker, next to nothing in the recieving game, does exactly whats asked of a 3rd TE, cheap vet, replacable)

WR:

1: Hines Ward - 6'0" 212 - 3rd round Georgia - 11yrs pro (Leader of our offence, slow as you like, but still very productive, great routes great hands etc, tough as nails. Cant see him playing more than another 2 seasons though)
2: Santonio Holmes - 5'11" 195 - 1st round Ohio State - 2yrs pro (Amazing skills, just needs to get his head on straight, plays tough, learning the tricks from Hines...but obviously with elite speed, works as hard as anyone, should only get better, future star?)
3: Nate Washington - 6'2" - 190 - UDFA Tiffin - 3yrs pro (Good size, great speed, amazing acceleration, good routes, average hands...inconsistant!!! Great personality, locker room fave. Contract is up, likely going to get more money else where, probably gone. Would be a great fit in the colts scheme)
4: Limas Sweed - 6'4" 215 - 2nd round Texas - Rookie (On the fence with Sweed, all the tools needed to be great, just got to put it together. Not sure if hes ready to contribute next year?)

LT:

1: Max Starks - 6'8" 340 - 2nd round Florida - 5yrs pro (Huge guy, great runblocker, average pass protector, much better LT than RT, smart guy, very unslefish, STILL has upside imo, contract is up, should be resigned, but may garner attention from other teams, could be gone)
2: Marvel Smith - 6'5" 325 - 2nd round Arizona State - 9yrs pro (Injured...career likely over)
3: Trai Essex - 6'4" 330 - 3rd round Northwestern - 4yrs pro (Average at best, contract is up, more thank likely gone)
4: Tony Hills - 6'6" 305 - 4th round Texas - Rookie (Horrible rookie year, looked lost at training camp, still has good potential, but i wouldnt trust him as my backup LT)

LG:

1: Chris Kemoeatu - 6'3" 345 - 6th round Utah - 4yrs pro (Big strong roadgrader, awfull pass protector, mean but sometimes overly aggresive, average inteligence and awereness, contrct is up, Steelers will likely try to resign, maybe gone though)
2: Jeremy Parquet - 6'6" 325 - 7th round Southern Miss - 3yrs pro (Never seen the dude play, big and strong, thats about all i know, not exactly good depth)

OC:

1: Justin Hartwig - 6'4" 315 - 6th round Kansas - 7rs pro (Average to good starter, the best centre we've had since Jeff Hartings a few years ago, deals with big nose tackles well, solid in both pass and run blocking, ungradable...but not essential)
2: Darnell Stapleton - 6'3" 305 - UDFA Rutgers - 1yr pro (Interseting guy, not that big or strong but is very smart and uses angles and leverage to his advantage, added 20lbs last ofseason, good depth, versatile)

RG:

1: Darnell Stapleton - 6'3" 305 - UDFA Rutgers - 1yr pro (Started due to injuries, showed of his versatilty, better off in a backup role though)
2: Kendall Simmons - 6'3" 315 - 1st round Auburn - 7rs pro (Injured and has trouble controlling his diabetes, was an average starter at best, earns far too much money, replacable)

RT:

1: Willie Colon - 6'3" 320 - 4th round Hofsta - 2 yrs pro (Undersized for a RT, good run blocker, excelent strength, poor footwork and short arms really hinders his pass blocking against tall speed rushers, would make a perfect RG...a move there in the future?)
2: Trai Essex - 6'4" 330 - 3rd round Northwestern - 4yrs pro

RE:

1: Brett Kiesel - 6'5" 285 - 7th round BYU - 7yrs pro (Good size and bulk, average strength for 3-4 DE, good speed for the postition, athletic and plays hard, non stop motor and a team leader, good player but could be upgraded)
2: Travis Kirshcke - 6'4" 300 - UDFA UCLA - 12yrs pro (Good depth, stout against the run, plays nickle DT, getting up in age, could be upgraded)
3: Nick Eason - 6'4" 305 - 4th round Clemson - 6yrs pro (See Travis Kishcke)
4: Orpheus Roye - 6'4" 330 - 6th round FSU - 13yrs pro (Was signed due to injuries, gone)

NT:

1: Casey Hampton - 6'1" 350? - 1st round Texas - 8yrs pro (Huge clogger in the middle, great run stuffer, has let his weight get the better of him, next to no athletisism anymore, getting pushed out of plays on occasions, overrated the last few years. Still great, but he is regressing fast)
2: Chris Hoke - 6'2" 305 - UDFA BYU - 8yrs pro (Next to no drop off in play when Hoke is in, great backup, underrated, but not a full time starter)
3: Scott Paxson - 6'4" 295 - UDFA Penn State - 2yrs pro (Practice squad player)

LE:

1: Aaron Smith - 6'5" 300 - 4th round N.Colarado - 10yrs pro (Perfect 3-4 DE, big strong, smart, unselfish, pro bowl caliber, still and elite 3-4 end but getting up in age, an heir is needed)
2: Travis Kirshcke -
3: Nick Eason -
4: Orpheus Roye -

ROLB:

1: James Harrison - 6'0" 245 - UDFA Kent State - 5yrs pro (30yrs old though) (All pro, DPOY, everyone knows his skills now, should be resigned this ofseason!!! Still need depth behing him though)
2: Lawrence Timmons - 6'1" 240 - 1st round FSU - 1yr pro (EPIC! But he should be starting at ILB next season, so more depth needed?)
3: Bruce Davis - 6'3" 250 - 3rd round UCLA - Rookie (More like 240lbs, bulked up for the combine, great speedrusher but not good against the run, another year and he should progress greatly, any more than a situational passrusher?)

RILB

1: Larry Foote - 6'0" 240 - 4th round Michigan - 7yrs pro (Solid vet, team leader, not great athleticly but very stout against the run, just average in pass defence, good but not great)
2: Lawrence Timmons - 6'1" 240 - 1st round FSU - 1yr pro (Has all world talent, should be starting next year, great passrusher, great pass defender, solid against the run, very smart and instinctive, makes plays sideline to sideline, athletic enough to matchup against TE's and WR's, future star?)
3: Patrick Bailey - 6'4" 235 - UDFA Duke - Rookie (Steelers rookie of the year, special teams ace, good size and strength, should be valuable depth)

LILB:

1: James Farrior - 6'2" 245 - 1st round Virginia - 12yrs pro (Steady Freddy, tackling machine, great run defender, solid passrusher, great in zone coverage, QB's the defence, very smart with great awareness, great player but getting up there in age, a replacement may need to be groomed soon)
2: Lawrence Timmons - " " "
3: Keyaron Fox - (Special teams ace, good cheap depth)

LOLB:

1: Lamarr Woodley - 6'2" 266 - 2nd round Michigan - 1yr pro (BEAST!!!!!! Eating babies for years to come)
2: Lawrence Timmons - " " "
3: Andre Frazier - 6'5" 255 - UDFA Cincinnati - 4yrs pro (Solid depth, okay passrusher, good special teamer, injury history, could be upgraded)

CB:

1: Ike Taylor - 6'2" 200 - 4th round Lafayette - 6yrs pro (Underrated player, has everything you look for in a corner, great size and speed, runs a sub 4.3, physical, good in man, great in zone, supports the run...only one problem...awfull hands!!! If he had hands he's be a household name. Resigned a few years ago, sticking around)
2: Bryant McFadden - 6'0" 200 - 2nd round FSU - 4yrs pro (Good size and bulk, okay speed, okay in man, but much better in zone, very physical in his jam, big hitter for a CB, versitile...could also play FS. Contract is up, roumured that he will be let go)
3: Deshea Townsend - 5'10" 190 - 4th round Alabama - 11yrs pro (Makes up for lack of physical tools with top notch intelligence, knows defences and offenses inside out, great mentor to younger players, he is OLD! Not many years left imo)
4: William *** - 5'11" 195 - 5th round Louisville - 1 yr pro (Reminds me allot of a poor mans Brandon Flowers, undersized, but tough, physical, smart, good athletically. Potential starter)
5: Anthony Madison - 5'8" 190 - UDFA Alabama - 3yrs pro (Solely a special teams player, good at what he does)

FS:

1: Ryan Clark - 5'11" 205 - UDFA LSU - 7yrs pro (Good fit in our scheme, stays deep and allows Polo to do what he does, reacts well to plays, supports the run well, and lays the lumber in the open field, underrated player, but could be upgraded?)
2: Anthony Smith - 6'0" 200 - 3rd round Syracuse - 2yrs pro (I love this kid but he is pretty much done in Pittsburgh, has all the physical tools you look for, just has a poor attitude, could excell elsewhere but he is more than likely gone)

SS:

1: Troy Polomalu - 5'11" 212 - 1st round USC - 5yrs pro (Dont need to say much, everyone knows his talents, and he is sticking around)
2: Tyrone Carter - 5'9" 200 - 4th round Minnesota - 9rs pro (Good depth, tackling machine, but very little in terms of athletisism, getting older and could be replaced)

PK:

1: Jeff Reed - 5'11" 225 - UDFA N.C - 7yrs pro (All good)

P:

1: Daniel Sepulveda - 6'3" 230 - 4th round Baylor - 1yr pro (Coming off injury, but should be all good)

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: BOLD IS BASICALLY A MAJOR SHORT SUMMARY

Last edited by Jakey : 01-08-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote