Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Which defensive player do you want at #20 for the Lions?
ILB James Laurinaitis 10 31.25%
ILB Brandon Spikes 4 12.50%
DT B.J. Raji 8 25.00%
DE Everette Brown 3 9.38%
DE Michael Johnson 0 0%
CB Alphonso Smith 0 0%
CB Vontae Davis 4 12.50%
None; pick an offensive player 2 6.25%
Someone else (please specify) 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think it all breaks down to the system the new coach is gonna institute. If he wants to run a 3-4 then we REALLY need a NT, so Raji would be most important, or an OLB like Everette Brown.

If we stay at a 4-3 I want J-L. I think he'll be the best pro, IMO, between him and Spikes. He seems more fundamentaly sound, which I like, and is just a throwback type like Spielman was. I think we can get some fat a** to play DT later in the draft. After all, Shaun Rogers was a 2nd rounder.

Plus if we get Schwartz as the HC then there is the dream of getting Fat Albert through FA, yes I know probably a 0% chance of happenieng but like I said it's a dream.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very simple at 20 you take Raji.

Then you trade #33 with your second 3rd to move up around 23-25 and take spikes there.

And then you have a very nice defense up the middle and i can be happy
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

one of these mlbs have to fall. who is actually in the market for them late in round 1? ravens? patriots?

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post

Then you trade #33 with your second 3rd to move up around 23-25 and take spikes there.

Wow..... you just blew my mind.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Wow..... you just blew my mind.
I had that idea first!!

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I had that idea first!!
LIAR!!! dont you steal my ideas
Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft Shady!!!!!! For The Love Of God!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been watching the Red Wings, how is Spikes looking?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

He got a nice play on the 1st drive stuffing the run. Otherwise... I am way behind. Gators have the ball now on their 1st possession.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we go Stafford:

I'd go Laurinitis no brainer. He may not be an absolute stud like Spikes could be, but i think his chances of being a stalwart in the middle for a decade are much higher than Spikes'.

If he's gone then A.Smith because a good corner besides Bodden, who i believe is goign to bounce back, would be a nice add.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post

that would be amazing. I just worry that Raji is another guy like Shaun Rogers that can't stay away from the fork.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post
that would be amazing. I just worry that Raji is another guy like Shaun Rogers that can't stay away from the fork.
Thats why for the most part I would much rather address DT in later rounds or FA.

Are they ever really impact players off the bat anyways??
Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Talking

I cannot see Raji, Brown or Davis being available at #20. That is a very long stretch IMO.

I think there will be some decent pass rushing DE's, Michael Johnson and Clint Sintim then Spikes, Williams, the OT from Oklahoma if he declares, and Laurinaitis. Maybe Perry, the Mississippi DT.
If that is the group I look at them all closely and take the BPA from among them. We really aren't in any position to be drafting for need at this point in the rebuilding stage.
Personally I just want a very successful player, someone who can make our starting roster and possibly be an impact player down the road.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

maybe we could draft another undersized linebacker or safety for the sole purpose of being a linebacker like last year.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its Raji and it isn't even close. Unless he just tanks in the combine we'd be lucky tp get him one of the ILBs will be there at roud 2 pick one.

Which pair would you rather have

Raji and JL
or
Spikes and ...Ron Brace? Terrence Taylor? Alphonso Smith?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I have Peria Jerry as the 20th pick. Why?

Jerry vs. Raji for 2008 season:

Raji: 42 total tackles, 7.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss
Jerry:49 total tackles, 7.0 sacks, 18 tackles for loss

Jerry is the better player, but not by a lot.

I like Brandon Spikes over all of them but have little hope he is there at #20.

(Alphonso Smith in the second round, Zack Follet and Trevor Canfield in the 3rd round, Jarron Gilbert, and i love Jerry Hughes or McCoy anywhere)

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 01-09-2009 at 03:11 PM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
I have Peria Jerry as the 20th pick. Why?

Jerry vs. Raji for 2008 season:

Raji: 42 total tackles, 7.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss
Jerry:49 total tackles, 7.0 sacks, 18 tackles for loss

Jerry is the better player, but not by a lot.

I like Brandon Spikes over all of them but have little hope he is there at #20.

(Alphonso Smith in the second round, Zack Follet and Trevor Canfield in the 3rd round, Jarron Gilbert, and i love Jerry Hughes or McCoy anywhere)
I think Jerry is more of a UT than a NT which is what we need alot.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i think we can play jerry beside redding if we're in passing situations, but yeah i want the biggest man on the block right now.(to be drafted by the lions)

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I'm not a big fan of Redding or Bodden. I would not be unhappy if we draft Jerry and Raji back to back. I know that a little too much but what two beast we would have anchoring the middle of that defensive line. Pick up the a corner in the 3rd round.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

can you imagine playing a 5-2 front? raji flanked by redding and jerry with sims and whoever we draft at linebacker. start a new trend. we'd be thrown on alot, but sometimes it'd be tavaris, seneca, and shaun hill doing the throwing.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

I'm looking forward to next season. I really do think we have a better GM than we did. That's not saying much. I am excited for the next season with more hope with some young players making an impact from the this coming draft. If we can get Stafford slinging teh ball around to Calvin Johnson, i see us winning 3-6 games next season.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we could use a guy like Greg Hardy but at twenty I would rather take Mack.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've often seen JL compared to Barrett Rudd in Tampa.

All these juniors declaring are going to help push a guy like Raji to us at 20. What we really need is Gerald McCoy to declare. I could almost guarantee you Raji would be at 20 if he declared. Also root for Greg Hardy to declare, I think it'd push him or Everette Brown to our pick.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I've often seen JL compared to Barrett Rudd in Tampa.
Besides them both being white MLBs cut out to be Tampa 2 prototypes....they are very similar. :).

"can't shed blocks"
"pile jumpers"
etc

If Ruud can overcome those, I have no doubt JL can. He would be great in Detroit IMO. Because he does all of the things you can't teach. Plays the deep game well, ball instincts, etc.

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 01-09-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote