Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Do you really think a multi-millionaire cares about the economy and population of Detroit? He can live in a nice area somewhere near Detroit, and be totally fine.
You never know. Who knows why pacman jones cares about what he cares about? I'm just saying there are reasons why he may not want to go to Detroit. Eli Manning didn't want to go to San Diego. San Di-frickin-ego!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That didn't have anything to do with the city though.. Archie Manning didn't want Eli to go to the Chargers because at the time, they were a really terrible franchise and he didn't want his son to get destroyed just like he did in New Orleans.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, in the end he probably ended up taking a little bit more of a beating in NY initially.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
I'm just saying what I've read from the news. I was looking at a study done just yesterday that said Detroit was the #2 major city in the country that people would not like to live in. Crime Rate, economy, dwindling population, pollution. Just what I've been reading.
Hell, I wouldn't wanna live in Detroit, but there whole surrounding area has some really upscale places. Oakland County has long been asmong the very richest counties in the entire United States. Very few Detroit athletes actually live in Detroit. I know most of the Red Wings players live in Bloomfield Hills and Troy, which in no way resemble downtown Detroit.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol if we want a tougher defense, stick them all in apartments downtown.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Ok. I've been learned. The greater outside of Detroit area is indeed greater than Detroit. Most cities are like that though, I reckon.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Ok. I've been learned. The greater outside of Detroit area is indeed greater than Detroit. Most cities are like that though, I reckon.
One of the worst things to ever happen to the Lions was moving them from Pontiac to Detroit. Pontiac is no paradise, but it's a huge step above Detroit and the surroundings are all much nicer.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Geason Noceur
Rookie

Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
Let me preface this by saying i don't know jack about Matthew Stafford. This is just an educated guess. I was a psychology major, which just means easy bachelor degree.

My sense of Matthew Stafford from watching him play, quotes, and some interviews is that he's a typical jock. Great intelligence on the football field, but no Steve Young with the law degree. You know what i mean. I am very expressed with that fact he went undefeated in a tough Texas High School league his senior year and won the state championship. He got better every year he was in college.

Matthew Stafford reminds me of Kevin Smith. Both great athletes with good character but are clueless when it comes to the Lions. Kevin thought we would win a playoff game before he even stepped out onto Ford Field. Stafford admits he does not watch NFL football and does not mind going to a team 0-16. That freakin awesome!!! That might not be the worse thing in the world. If i was Stafford and watched the Lions play Thanksgiving, i might make disparaging remarks about Detroit Lions before the draft like "man they stink. I would commit suicide before i wear the Lions uniform." Stafford has said he would not mind playing for a losing team. It takes a kid with great something to want to play for an 0-16 team. The more i think about it, the more I love Stafford. Loads of talent but very basic in his thoughts and decision making. Sanchez is a pretty boy with some shady background. Coming from USC, he probably thinks he some god. Stafford seems very down to earth and would be a perfect fit for Detroit and the blue collar mentality of the great city with their very loyal sports fan.
I've kept up with Stafford's UGA career and read extensively about him and watched many of his interviews so I felt the need to correct some misconceptions about him. Even though Stafford is a jock, played football, baseball and basketball in high school and Mike Hagen, a scout for the KC Chiefs who was Stafford's childhood mentor, calls him a "sports junkie", he is a very smart guy. He graduated with a 3.5 GPA from one of the top 20 HS's in the country, and he has made the academic honor roll every semester at UGA. Also, the UGA coaches give their players tests on a regular basis, and this is what WR Kris Durham said, "When we had our little tests that we have to take home, I might get stuck on something, and he just walks up behind, glances over my shoulder and is like, 'This, this, and this.' I write it down. I know it's going to be right."

And he does watch NFL games. He probably didn't watch the Lions that week because he was preparing for the game against Georgia Tech, but he does keep up with what's going on in the NFL. He regularly mentions current NFL QB's (mainly P. Manning) and what they're doing in the league and how he tries to emulate some of the stuff that they do. Durham also mentions that Stafford can't sit down and just enjoy watching a game. He says that Stafford "will look at what the defense is and say, 'OK, I would check to this play or this play.' He can't even sit back, watch and enjoy a game. He just sits there and thinks the whole time."

If you do some reading on Stafford you can find some very interesting things about the guy that you just don't get from simply watching a game.
Geason Noceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
Being drafted #1 overall is something most players dream of. I doubt any of that is remotely true.
Maybe after the rookie salary cap gets put in this might happen but right now getting drafted #1 at QB is like hitting the lottery.

It would be stupid to do what is alleged.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 PM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I'm scratching my head over reading 3 paragraphs of BS.
Yeah, no doubt.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

He's praying to god (tebow style) he falls a spot or two.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
He's praying to god (tebow style) he falls a spot or two.

Or 3 (Seattle):)
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This wasn't meant as something serious, criminy. Just something to discuss since I found it interesting.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol, when i first read the title i thought it was going to be that matt stafford's nickname was 'sunshine'.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
lol, when i first read the title i thought it was going to be that matt stafford's nickname was 'sunshine'.
DISCUSS!!!!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
BcLion
Rookie

BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Hey mister Sunshine, gunna outshine your bright, its just the beginning of anouther happy go fun day. Im feeling kinda sunday....

Laaaaalaaaa LaaaLaaaLaaaLaaa..
BcLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
One of the worst things to ever happen to the Lions was moving them from Pontiac to Detroit. Pontiac is no paradise, but it's a huge step above Detroit and the surroundings are all much nicer.
I wonder what you're talking about. Who cares? None of the players live there or anywhere near there. No one who comes to a game needs to stay around if they don't want to. The immediate surroundings of Ford Field are city buildings - almost no one lives there at all and there's virtually no crime or danger.

FF is ten times nicer of a stadium than the crappy Silverdome. Parking is a little more difficult but it's not less safe - do you remember the fights that happened nearly every game in Pontiac, inside and outside of the stadium?

By the way, the city of Pontiac is a complete dump. The only thing that Detroit has on Pontiac is that it's bigger.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
I wonder what you're talking about. Who cares? None of the players live there or anywhere near there. No one who comes to a game needs to stay around if they don't want to.

FF is ten times nicer of a stadium than the crappy Silverdome. Parking is a little more difficult but it's not less safe - do you remember the fights that happened nearly every game in Pontiac, inside and outside of the stadium?

By the way, the city of Pontiac is a complete dump. The only thing that Detroit has on Pontiac is that it's bigger.
I lived in a loft on Woodward about 3 blocks from Ford Field and I felt more safe in Detroit City then I ever would in Pontiac. Pontiac is the 2nd worst city in Michigan next to Flint.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wonder what you're talking about. Who cares? None of the players live there or anywhere near there. No one who comes to a game needs to stay around if they don't want to. The immediate surroundings of Ford Field are city buildings - almost no one lives there at all and there's virtually no crime or danger.

While it isn't a big deal about the surrounding area, it is always nice to have stuff to do around the stadium. Brings more money in. Just for example I live in Pittsburgh. Where the Penguins play, there is nothing around it. Maybe a 711. But I live and work in the area where PNC and Heinz Field is. There are bars/restaurants all over the place down here. It is nice and you got something else to do. Well, I wouldn't use the term "nice". Those jerks wouldn't let me wear a hoodie and a hat into the bar last night....... bunch of jerks thinking they were classy. Even though they got girls dressed up like, in the words of Ron Burgundy, pirate hookers. Jerks....

But I digress, it is nice to have stuff around the stadiums and not just dropped in there.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:

Well I wasn't exactly comparing the stadiums. Obviously the brand new Ford Field is nicer than the old Silverdome . . . don't need a forensics unit to make that realization.

It wasn't a slight against the city, and it's not all about crime and danger. I'm just saying that people love going to the Palace in Auburn Hills, partly because it's not in Detroit. The Silverdome is adjacent to downtown Pontiac, but you only have to drive briefly through it to get to the dome. Hardly the same.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well I wasn't exactly comparing the stadiums. Obviously the brand new Ford Field is nicer than the old Silverdome . . . don't need a forensics unit to make that realization.

It wasn't a slight against the city, and it's not all about crime and danger. I'm just saying that people love going to the Palace in Auburn Hills, partly because it's not in Detroit. The Silverdome is adjacent to downtown Pontiac, but you only have to drive briefly through it to get to the dome. Hardly the same.
I liked going to the Palace because it was the Pistons.... don't know about you.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I liked going to the Palace because it was the Pistons.... don't know about you.
Last time I was at the Palace I was watching a Detroit Vipers game.

What does that tell you?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Last time I was at the Palace I was watching a Detroit Vipers game.

What does that tell you?
That we are going to fight.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-10-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I disagree, people actually have issues with the fact that the palace isnt in detroit. Owners like Illitch actually care about the city and they know that having his stadiums in Detroit helps the city out a lot. It brings people into the city and supplies jobs for people. Also the area in which ford field is in is a nice area with Comerica park there along with some nice restaurants and Bars. Its a place where you can park and walk to the game, sit down and have a beer and grab something to eat. The palace is simply park walk in, walk out and drive away.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I disagree, people actually have issues with the fact that the palace isnt in detroit. Owners like Illitch actually care about the city and they know that having his stadiums in Detroit helps the city out a lot. It brings people into the city and supplies jobs for people. Also the area in which ford field is in is a nice area with Comerica park there along with some nice restaurants and Bars. Its a place where you can park and walk to the game, sit down and have a beer and grab something to eat. The palace is simply park walk in, walk out and drive away.
Well, I was speaking with an exec. of the Pistons and asked about the Palace and if they had any plans on building a new arena, and they said that they've talked about it and a possible idea is them moving into a dual arena witht he Redwings when they build their new stadium next to Comerica and Ford field. But the Pistons said it probably wouldn't happen for about 5-10 years, though the new Redwings arena might happen sooner.

If that happens then all 4 major teams for Detroit will be in Detroit City, essentially on the corner of Woodward and 75.