Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I would be perfectly happy with Jake Long on the left side for the next ten years, and then on the right side for 3 more years.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
Maybe I'm being a homer, but I would be perfectly happy with Jake Long on the left side for the next ten years, and then on the right side for 3 more years.
Well thats unusually specific, lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Roaf was another old one I forgot to mention. He stopped playing much less recently is why I think he slipped my mind.....

So we had like 4 going at one time who were in my mind truly elite. (Jones, Ogden, Pace and Roaf.)

Now 0. Seriously?
His career may have been short but at his very best Tony Boselli was playing at an elite Hall of Fame level too. You could make that 5 at one time.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
His career may have been short but at his very best Tony Boselli was playing at an elite Hall of Fame level too. You could make that 5 at one time.
Indeed, Boselli was another who downright dominated for a time.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
D'Brick'll be there. I wouldn't put him there if I didn't think he could do it.

D'Brick was very good last year.
D'Brick'll? lol

I think Roos is a top 5 LT in the league. Could possibly be top 2. People dont really hear his name a lot because he flat out does his job.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamaal Brown sucks now.

I think these are potential franchise LTs (they may not be now):

1. Michael Roos
2. Joe Thomas
3. Ryan Clady

Thats all I can think of. They may not be the Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, and Orlando Pace's of football yet, but all are very young and outstanding. By the time they are at their prime (28,29), everyone will consider them the top tackles.

Michael Roos is very underrated.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the problem throwing Joe Staley's name out there. He shut down Joey Porter and did a great job handling DeMarcus Ware. He's got all the tools you look for in one. It's gonna take some time though. It's not like these guys were deemed Elite as soon as they stepped on the field.

Marcus McNeil is pretty good as well.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had a 'down' year but Joe Thomas is the future but this year I would put Michael Roos at the top of the pile
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Roos, but like PitBull said, he doesn't dominate DE's. I remember a few years back watching Orlando Pace just absolutely whoop Dwight Freeney. Now, Roos has near flawless technique and can handle any DE in the league, but only when he starts owning DE's into submission will he step up to the next level.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
I love Roos, but like PitBull said, he doesn't dominate DE's. I remember a few years back watching Orlando Pace just absolutely whoop Dwight Freeney. Now, Roos has near flawless technique and can handle any DE in the league, but only when he starts owning DE's into submission will he step up to the next level.
Good points. This is what I mean. We went from having 3-5 LT's like that, who you'd have no fear matching up 1 on 1 with any DE in the league all game while still being able to run behind them effectively, to not really having any.

Like I said in the initial post, guys like Gross and Roos are very good and having great seasons, but they don't dominant like the elite LT's of old.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marcus McNeill is my favorite out of the bunch. Probably the most gifted of the young guys. Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady are beasts as well.

It's a little silly to be looking for "elite" guys when the original elites are all old and everyone else is too young to have an established record to even be considered, so you're setting your search to fail in the first place.

There's no way these guys can be compared to the Pace's and Ogden's of the world because they just haven't been in the league long enough.

Like i said, of the young guys, i think McNeill is one of the only ones that can really be dominant on both aspects of the offense. Joe Thomas is a solid run blocker from what i hear, but Ryan Clady is tons more polished in the pass-blocking area.

All those guys are good, and slowly but surely, the league or injuries will catch up to some of them, and then is when you'll be able to find your "elite" guys.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Clady and McNeill are my two favorites going forward.

But MS17 is right. This whole changing of the guard will have to wait about two years.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I guess you guys can hate on D'Brick. It's not like I'm dying for the guy to get attention. Just that he'll be the Jets LT for a long time, and is therefore a franchise LT.

He's gotten better every year, and he's still aways from his prime years at only 25. All you can ask a young player to do is improve, and he's done that. Hopefully next year that myth that he can't run block goes away.

Last edited by SenorGato : 01-09-2009 at 08:57 PM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, I guess you guys can hate on D'Brick. It's not like I'm dying for the guy to get attention. Just that he'll be the Jets LT for a long time, and is therefore a franchise LT.

He's gotten better every year, and he's still aways from his prime years at only 25.
I like D-Brick. He has the perfect frame and body size for a LT, and showed so much promise in college. Don't know what the hell happened to him in the league (since i don't watch much Jets games), but i'll take a quick summary of his play right now if you can give it.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Just that he'll be the Jets LT for a long time, and is therefore a franchise LT.
Kenyatta Walker could be my tackle for 15 years....that doesn't mean he is a franchise tackle.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Kenyatta Walker could be my tackle for 15 years....that doesn't mean he is a franchise tackle.
Point taking, but D'Brick >>>>> Kenyatta.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Point taking, but D'Brick >>>>> Kenyatta.
When you compare something to a sack of rocks, that something will always look better. Doesn't say much about that something though.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Williams didnt allow a single sack this season and also didnt commit a single foul!

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I didn't watch any bear games. Did he just not play at all or what?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Marcus McNeill is my favorite out of the bunch. Probably the most gifted of the young guys. Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady are beasts as well.

It's a little silly to be looking for "elite" guys when the original elites are all old and everyone else is too young to have an established record to even be considered, so you're setting your search to fail in the first place.

There's no way these guys can be compared to the Pace's and Ogden's of the world because they just haven't been in the league long enough.

Like i said, of the young guys, i think McNeill is one of the only ones that can really be dominant on both aspects of the offense. Joe Thomas is a solid run blocker from what i hear, but Ryan Clady is tons more polished in the pass-blocking area.

All those guys are good, and slowly but surely, the league or injuries will catch up to some of them, and then is when you'll be able to find your "elite" guys.
I see your point but its not like teams just take 4 or 5 years off drafting LTs.

I mean, in the time that the elites like Pace and them have started to decline, LTs have still be drafted high. Gallery didn't pan out....D'Brick is decent but not dominant....Thomas is good but slipped this year......and there are lots of guys just too young to pinpoint yet.

I mean...did we just go for a few years where every LT taken was a bust or what?

The whole thing just seems very odd to me......thats why I brought it up.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like D-Brick. He has the perfect frame and body size for a LT, and showed so much promise in college. Don't know what the hell happened to him in the league (since i don't watch much Jets games), but i'll take a quick summary of his play right now if you can give it.
Excellent pass blocker who's always been able to handle even the best speed rushers.

He's gotten bigger and stronger over his 3 seasons, and has really improved at handling bull rushers. I think Bill Callahan really helped him here. Before he'd get thrown off balance and have to catch himself. Now he establishes a good base and plants his feet.

Basically, he's only gotten stronger and theres flashes where he just dominates. He's one of those guys I expect to see constant improvement from and come around 28-31 he'll be considered a "high end" LT that was always great and all the usual great player cliche stuff. He's the kind of player the phrase "in the course of a lifetime" has meaning for. He's never been bad at his job, he's gotten better, and his physical traits are prototypical.

He just happens to play for a market where obvious, in your face good is the only kind of good.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When you compare something to a sack of rocks, that something will always look better. Doesn't say much about that something though.
True.

I really said "point taking" in that post.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Excellent pass blocker who's always been able to handle even the best speed rushers.

He's gotten bigger and stronger over his 3 seasons, and has really improved at handling bull rushers. I think Bill Callahan really helped him here. Before he'd get thrown off balance and have to catch himself. Now he establishes a good base and plants his feet.

Basically, he's only gotten stronger and theres flashes where he just dominates. He's one of those guys I expect to see constant improvement from and come around 28-31 he'll be considered a "high end" LT that was always great and all the usual great player cliche stuff. He's the kind of player the phrase "in the course of a lifetime" has meaning for. He's never been bad at his job, he's gotten better, and his physical traits are prototypical.

He just happens to play for a market where obvious, in your face good is the only kind of good.
But do you take 7-8 year guys in the top 5? (can you even draft with that mentality/accuracy?). Or is that something you settle for?

That 7th or 8th year is 100% of the time extended contract/new contract area.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
But do you take 7-8 year guys in the top 5? (can you even draft with that mentality/accuracy?)

That 7th or 8th year is 100% of the time extended contract/new contract area.
It's not like he's been playing poorly. It's just that he hit his prime. Hell, if he builds on his play from last year, then he'll be a real top tier LT next year at 26.

Think about it this way...you get what...4-5-6 years of increasingly good LT play...then it plateau's into his prime. Then comes the decline. I like the way he's been developing, and I really like that he's one of those guys who's backed up his words to improve.

Last edited by SenorGato : 01-09-2009 at 09:17 PM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, almost every tackle I had in mind was already posted so I thought I'd post a bit of a homerisitic opinion but Im serious about it. Jared Gaither for the Baltimore Ravens, still very young and has tons to learn but has exceeded my expectations this year and does not look to be slowing down. Hes freakin 22 years old!! 6-9!!! 330lbs!!! looks like J.O. and has the potential to play like him in the future. Look at for this kid, cause hes something special.