Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Superman Can Save The Lions!

http://www.freep.com/article/2009010...0109046/?imw=Y

Okay, I'm going to say it.
(and am ready to duck the flying tomatoes Lions fans!)
Tim Tebow is the man.

The leadership. The toughness. The escapability. The arm when needed. The decision making. The competetiveness. The moxy. (did you see his gator chomp taunt to that Oklahoma LB?) LOVE IT!

He has "it" and that is just the thing the Lion's need right now.

Honestly, I was not 100% sold on Tebow/superman until I saw him show "it" Thursday night in that National Championship victory. I have debated with friends and family about this kids game at the next level and I think he will do a great job. He will need to fine tune some things, such as: setting his feet in the pocket, his downfield accuracy, and his option style offense will not work in the NFL. BUT a QB guru head coach (Garrett/McDaniels) will help the mechanics and play calling stuff while megatron will help with the down the field stuff! Plus, this kid will not be the sexy Stafford/Bradford pick atop the draft (assuming he declares this year) so the Leo's could quite possibly get this kid in the 2nd round and address defense or the OL with the first 2 picks. I know that makes many of you reading this happy ;o)

Tim Tebow is a football player. A Fullback's body blessed with the arm and brain of a Quarterback. Detroit could use more football players on their roster and if assuming he declares and at the #33 pick in the draft Tebow is there, I say take him and go D with the other 2 picks.

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 01-10-2009 at 09:47 AM.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it's with the 20th pick or in the 2nd round i wouldnt throw tomatoes at that. Shoes maybe.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if we truly had a guru offensive coordinator who would revolutionize the game and could effectively use his talent-such as the way sean payton has with reggie bush then maybe. our team 'as is' i don't think we could spend anything more than a 6th on him as some kind of experimental pick. i fear he'd be a square peg in a round hole such as vince young in tennessee right now. tebow not in a spread offense is a waste. unfortunately for him, no team in the league runs an offense compatible with his talents right now. so short of bringing rich rod or urban meyer in to coach the lions i'd have to pass.

i respect what he can do, just it's not what we do.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I can see Tebow being a succesful FB in the league in mold of Alstott. Mike Alstott was a QB in highschool and then turned into a FB at Purdue.

Tebow already weighs 247ish and he knows what it takes to run the ball and see the hole, as such it shouldn't be to difficult for him to learn how to block a little. Now obviously, Tebow would never lower the boom like Lorenzo Neal is capable of but he should be able to at least glance a defender off of him so the RB can squirt through behind him.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
if we truly had a guru offensive coordinator who would revolutionize the game and could effectively use his talent-such as the way sean payton has with reggie bush then maybe. our team 'as is' i don't think we could spend anything more than a 6th on him as some kind of experimental pick. i fear he'd be a square peg in a round hole such as vince young in tennessee right now. tebow not in a spread offense is a waste. unfortunately for him, no team in the league runs an offense compatible with his talents right now. so short of bringing rich rod or urban meyer in to coach the lions i'd have to pass.

i respect what he can do, just it's not what we do.
No offense but what you guys do doesnt work.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so you want us to be trendsetters and be the only team in the league to actually run a spread offense? because if not, then stafford wasn't exactly on the roster last year.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
so you want us to be trendsetters and be the only team in the league to actually run a spread offense? because if not, then stafford wasn't exactly on the roster last year.
Stafford's my guy but you could go in worse directions as a franchise than Tebow. Not #1 pick though that's for sure.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i've eased up on tebow recently. i think he should definately stay in school, enjoy his time there, and set all the records he can. hopefully meyer will install some pro-style elements to his team to help tebow out. when he starts taking his snaps under center, reading defenses, and pinpointing deep post bombs down the sidelines then i'll be ready for him.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you could put his heart into someone with more QB talent, I'd be all for it. Otherwise............ no thanks.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No.. just.. no.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vince Young had "it" in college and he hasn't exactly lit the NFL on fire.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post

VY has had a decent amount of success in the NFL before he went wacky this year, but I see what you are saying and I agree that "it" doesnt automatically mean the guy will be productive in the league.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tebow is exactly the type of guy the Lions need. He has the leadership and intangibles the team needs.

Too bad he's a terrible QB.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like others have said, if the Lions had an established program where they could take time to develop Tebow's skills and their team focus together for a season or two, it could work.

But if the Lions draft him, even in round 4 or 5, he will automatically be looked at as the savior, expected to be on the field, trying to exert his leadership style on the team, and yet be unable to earn that leadership by playing well enough since he's not that good of a passer. It would be a disaster, the same way as Joey but even worse.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
Like others have said, if the Lions had an established program where they could take time to develop Tebow's skills and their team focus together for a season or two, it could work.

But if the Lions draft him, even in round 4 or 5, he will automatically be looked at as the savior, expected to be on the field, trying to exert his leadership style on the team, and yet be unable to earn that leadership by playing well enough since he's not that good of a passer. It would be a disaster, the same way as Joey but even worse.
I mean.... I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in the late rounds. But with a personality like his and not actually being a starter/main guy, that could be a problem. Something possibly similar to the Joakim Noah situation with the Bulls. A guy so used to winning and so fiery it may grind on some since the team is so terrible.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
for the record VY is 18-11 in the NFL and he would eb the starter on the titans right now if he didnt go down with an injury. Im still actually pretty high on VY and he could definitly be a pro QB.

Tebow is no where near VY was. VY when he ran ran around ppl Tebow tries to run thru them. Tebow will get killed if he tried to run thru a NFL LB. Tebwo also has the worst delivery i've seen since Chris Leak. If he doesnt fix it drastically he will fumble about 2-3 times a game. He is not a NFL QB for about 3 years, its just reality. If i had a star QB right now and a good team i would take him and try and develop him because of intangibles only. But in the NFL his running will be a non factor and his throwing is terrible.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

First off he throws the ball as well as Vince Young so let's get that out of the way. I think in the pros he needs to stay away from those long out routes and keep it in the middle of the field and he'd probably be ok. As for wearing his Christianity on his sleeve it seemed to work for Kurt Warner and i think he's intelligent enough to tone it down at the next level.

Me personally i wouldnt take him anywhere near the 1st pick, but if you want to use one of many models that have worked he would be worth a 2nd pick, just my take.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

VY didnt take 5 seconds to throw the ball. so i disagree with you. VY also played in a much better system than Tebow in terms of similarity to the pros.

Regardless in no way is tebow the right fit for our team. We need to center our offense around getting CJ the ball. Tebow will hurt that because he cannot make all the throws.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
VY didnt take 5 seconds to throw the ball. so i disagree with you. VY also played in a much better system than Tebow in terms of similarity to the pros.

Regardless in no way is tebow the right fit for our team. We need to center our offense around getting CJ the ball. Tebow will hurt that because he cannot make all the throws.

Vince Young throws the ball like a girl, my sister can throw better than him.

I do agree you need to get the most out of CJ, that's why the pick will be Stafford.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not as many hater posts as expected so far on this thread ... keep it about Tebow though, Vince Young is NOT Tim Tebow fellas. Thanks for the feed back!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Well Id be all for drafting tebow but not for QB. TE, FB, even LB or DE if he bulked up a little. He's got heart and never quits and i wouldnt be shocked to see him great at a different position.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As he is now he just isn't an NFL QB It takes him too long to throw. Maybe if he could fix his mechanics and not lose anything in terms of accuracy or power he'd be a great and I really mean great QB. But those are big ifs till then I'll just say that Tim Tebow is the next player to recieve the ZZZs

ZOMGZ TIMZZZ TEBOWZZZ

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

we are i n no position to take a chance on this guy and try to develope him for 2-3 years down the line. we have to many needs. Lets all drop the name tebow for our vocabulary and home he will never be in a lions uniform atleast not in the next 3 years