Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Pick #17

What direction do you think we should go in?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Tyson Jackson would be the perfect pick for you guys there. Ideal fit for your defense.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

as of now, i htink at that pick we should either go...QB (if sanchez, staford, or bradford falls), WR (depending on whos left), DE (tyson jackson might be the only guy i would accept there), ILB (if the other positions arent looking good, where i like spikes or mauluga or laurinitis), CB, or S

i think S or CB are the top two i would like to address here...if taylor mays falls, i think we need to jump all over him, but i doubt he does so maybe william moore, malcolm jenkins, vontae davis, or maybe alphonso smith
Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Out of all the positions we need, I think the most important to fill earlier on in the draft are QB, WR, and S. Everything else it's much easier to get a stud later on. Of anyone that will most probably be in the 1st, the people at those positions that I'd be interested in would be...

QB
Mark Sanchez

WR
Michael Crabtree
Hakeem Nicks

S
Taylor Mays
Rashad Johnson

But I definitely wouldn't have an issue if we took a linebacker in the 1st. I'd like to see us take someone with some versatility though. And of course my opinion on what we should take would change a little bit if we went to the 4-3.

EDIT: I take that back about a CB. I wouldn't mind one, and I think we'd HAVE to take Malcolm if he somehow dropped, but really, I think with a year under his belt Lowery will do fine. We should at least bring in another guy though.

However, because of the way the draft may fall and the talent that should be available, I wouldn't be opposed to taking an OT or LB.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-11-2009 at 09:38 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Out of all the positions we need, I think the most important to fill earlier on in the draft are QB, WR, and S. Everything else it's much easier to get a stud later on. Of anyone that will most probably be in the 1st, the people at those positions that I'd be interested in would be...

QB
Mark Sanchez

WR
Michael Crabtree
Hakeem Nicks

S
Taylor Mays
Rashad Johnson

But I definitely wouldn't have an issue if we took a linebacker in the 1st. I'd like to see us take someone with some versatility though. And of course my opinion on what we should take would change a little bit if we went to the 4-3.

EDIT: I take that back about a CB. I wouldn't mind one, and I think we'd HAVE to take Malcolm if he somehow dropped, but really, I think with a year under his belt Lowery will do fine. We should at least bring in another guy though.

However, because of the way the draft may fall and the talent that should be available, I wouldn't be opposed to taking an OT or LB.
I agree with you on basically all counts here about the directions to go in, although I do have a slight difference in opinion on the kinds of players to go after.

As far as the positions that you need to draft early to find a stud I do think that it's not incredibly difficult to find a stud safety later in the draft, there's just obviously a far higher success rate earlier in the draft. But lots of good safeties can be found late, as can some that look better than they are because of their scheme and supporting cast.

At quarterback I like Stafford and Sanchez, not sure either would be the kind of guy to step in and play right away but if one of those guys slipped to us and we went in that direction I'd be hard pressed to say don't take him. Even Bradford to an extent although I don't like him too much so I'd rather we maybe trade down to a team that wants him, or he just goes before our pick. If Sanchez and Bradford do come out (seems to be that Bradford will but Sanchez is way more up in the air) I wouldn't be surprised if one of those three fell to our pick.

At WR I do agree that to find a stud you're far better off drafting one early, I just think different kinds of guys fit our team better. Crabtree is awesome but I think we need a more dynamic guy at the position with a little more speed and big play ability. Jeremy Maclin would be perfect in my eyes, and Darrius Heyward-Bey would be alright if he moves up into our range. Wouldn't mind Kenny Britt either. Not to say I don't think we should draft Crabtree if he's available (which I doubt he will be) because he's an incredible talent at a position of need. But I just think a different style of WR would add more diversity to our group of players there.

At safety I'll just keep it simple and say those are the two guys I like, so absolutely no disagreement there. I would be incredibly happy with Mays if he fell to us (though I doubt he will) and if we could somehow get Johnson in the second round (maybe through a trade up even) that would be fantastic.

I'd be alright with a linebacker early as well although that's a position I think could be easier than the others to fill later on. Brandon Spikes is probably my favorite guy there because of his athleticism and leadership. Plus he's a pretty good blitzer, I just prefer him to most other guys that would play ILB for us. Corner I could see if the value is right, I doubt Jenkins falls to us but maybe we find a good value in the second. I definitely agree with you that we should add a guy at the position (maybe more of a smaller and quicker slot type?) and that Lowery could be fine with another year. I also think Lowery would be MUCH better with a safety like Mays to help him out on deep plays but that's another story.

I think we could use some youth/depth at DE and NT also. Raji I'd be alright picking depending who is on the board but I'd probably rather not go in that direction and go with one of the other positions you outlined. At end I think we can grab a mid-round tweener type and see if we can develop them, I just don't like the fits this year at the position and next year there should be a bunch of guys (among seniors there's Suh, Oghobaase, Odrick, Arthur Jones, some others I'm forgetting, and any underclassmen) that could play 3-4 end with some success.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take a guy that would add very quality depth to defense, or a qb or wr.

Or if LeSean McCoy would somehow fall to us.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I agree with you on basically all counts here about the directions to go in, although I do have a slight difference in opinion on the kinds of players to go after.

As far as the positions that you need to draft early to find a stud I do think that it's not incredibly difficult to find a stud safety later in the draft, there's just obviously a far higher success rate earlier in the draft. But lots of good safeties can be found late, as can some that look better than they are because of their scheme and supporting cast.

At quarterback I like Stafford and Sanchez, not sure either would be the kind of guy to step in and play right away but if one of those guys slipped to us and we went in that direction I'd be hard pressed to say don't take him. Even Bradford to an extent although I don't like him too much so I'd rather we maybe trade down to a team that wants him, or he just goes before our pick. If Sanchez and Bradford do come out (seems to be that Bradford will but Sanchez is way more up in the air) I wouldn't be surprised if one of those three fell to our pick.

At WR I do agree that to find a stud you're far better off drafting one early, I just think different kinds of guys fit our team better. Crabtree is awesome but I think we need a more dynamic guy at the position with a little more speed and big play ability. Jeremy Maclin would be perfect in my eyes, and Darrius Heyward-Bey would be alright if he moves up into our range. Wouldn't mind Kenny Britt either. Not to say I don't think we should draft Crabtree if he's available (which I doubt he will be) because he's an incredible talent at a position of need. But I just think a different style of WR would add more diversity to our group of players there.

At safety I'll just keep it simple and say those are the two guys I like, so absolutely no disagreement there. I would be incredibly happy with Mays if he fell to us (though I doubt he will) and if we could somehow get Johnson in the second round (maybe through a trade up even) that would be fantastic.

I'd be alright with a linebacker early as well although that's a position I think could be easier than the others to fill later on. Brandon Spikes is probably my favorite guy there because of his athleticism and leadership. Plus he's a pretty good blitzer, I just prefer him to most other guys that would play ILB for us. Corner I could see if the value is right, I doubt Jenkins falls to us but maybe we find a good value in the second. I definitely agree with you that we should add a guy at the position (maybe more of a smaller and quicker slot type?) and that Lowery could be fine with another year. I also think Lowery would be MUCH better with a safety like Mays to help him out on deep plays but that's another story.

I think we could use some youth/depth at DE and NT also. Raji I'd be alright picking depending who is on the board but I'd probably rather not go in that direction and go with one of the other positions you outlined. At end I think we can grab a mid-round tweener type and see if we can develop them, I just don't like the fits this year at the position and next year there should be a bunch of guys (among seniors there's Suh, Oghobaase, Odrick, Arthur Jones, some others I'm forgetting, and any underclassmen) that could play 3-4 end with some success.
I'll have to disagree with the Safety thing. Every stud or rising star Safety in the league currently, to my knowledge, was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round save for Adrian Wilson, Chris Hope, and Kerry Rhodes. That's three Safeties out of a possible 60. If we were going to get more than a fill-in at Safety, I'd expect and hope for it to come fairly early. I think the chances of getting a potential star later on in the draft is much higher at most positions than Safety.

Honestly though, about the QBs, I think Sanchez definitely wouldn't fall to us. I think Bradford would have the best chance, and he'd be the worst fit of the three. I only brought up Sanchez because, hypothetically, if he did come out and he fell to a reasonable spot, I'd expect us to trade up. I don't think though that all three will come out nor will any of them fall to us, so I much, MUCH rather trade for Troy Smith, which could really become a reality if we get Rex.

I could see why you guys would want that type of receiver though, but I'd disagree. If we were going to get a dynamic receiver, he'd have to be built like Steve Smith for me to be onboard. All my years in Seattle watching the Seahawks injury reports and seeing what a pansy Coles is, those smaller receivers just can't handle the cold weather that well. I did sort of fall in love with Maclin after seeing his press conference, so I'd be fine with him, but I still don't know if he'd hold up. I would hate Heyward-Bey, but I don't think they'll really look at him seriously at all anyway. After VD, I'm not interested in Maryland freak athletes. I wouldn't be interested in Britt either after I heard some not-so-great things about his character. I still don't think the small, fast receiver is the way we should go. We need someone with some bulk, a bit of size, and someone that can get YAC yards. I'd be amazed if we were in range to get Crabtree, but I'd definitely be fine with Nicks.

But yeah. I was figuring we could grab DL much later. I'm sure there's someone out there that'd do just fine. Linebackers, as far as later rounds go, I really wouldn't know. Right now, looking at the prospects there, I don't really see anyone, but I don't know if that necessarily matters. And who knows. If we get Ryan, maybe we'll get Scott!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I'll have to disagree with the Safety thing. Every stud or rising star Safety in the league currently, to my knowledge, was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round save for Adrian Wilson, Chris Hope, and Kerry Rhodes. That's three Safeties out of a possible 60. If we were going to get more than a fill-in at Safety, I'd expect and hope for it to come fairly early. I think the chances of getting a potential star later on in the draft is much higher at most positions than Safety.

Honestly though, about the QBs, I think Sanchez definitely wouldn't fall to us. I think Bradford would have the best chance, and he'd be the worst fit of the three. I only brought up Sanchez because, hypothetically, if he did come out and he fell to a reasonable spot, I'd expect us to trade up. I don't think though that all three will come out nor will any of them fall to us, so I much, MUCH rather trade for Troy Smith, which could really become a reality if we get Rex.

I could see why you guys would want that type of receiver though, but I'd disagree. If we were going to get a dynamic receiver, he'd have to be built like Steve Smith for me to be onboard. All my years in Seattle watching the Seahawks injury reports and seeing what a pansy Coles is, those smaller receivers just can't handle the cold weather that well. I did sort of fall in love with Maclin after seeing his press conference, so I'd be fine with him, but I still don't know if he'd hold up. I would hate Heyward-Bey, but I don't think they'll really look at him seriously at all anyway. After VD, I'm not interested in Maryland freak athletes. I wouldn't be interested in Britt either after I heard some not-so-great things about his character. I still don't think the small, fast receiver is the way we should go. We need someone with some bulk, a bit of size, and someone that can get YAC yards. I'd be amazed if we were in range to get Crabtree, but I'd definitely be fine with Nicks.

But yeah. I was figuring we could grab DL much later. I'm sure there's someone out there that'd do just fine. Linebackers, as far as later rounds go, I really wouldn't know. Right now, looking at the prospects there, I don't really see anyone, but I don't know if that necessarily matters. And who knows. If we get Ryan, maybe we'll get Scott!
With the safeties I was talking less about studs and more about competent starters. I was also purely talking about our first round pick. We have our "stud" persay at the position and as long as we find a guy that's good enough at the position to not hurt us I'd be fine with it. Tons of starters at safety, even the guys the Ravens have had starting the last few years next to Reed, have been able to kind of play off the talent surrounding them. If you think about it, how many safety duos in the league have two studs? Most have a stud and a good-enough player, so I think we could find a capable starter in the mid rounds. If we're looking for our second stud at the position, I agree we'd have to go early. I'd pretty much only want one of the two guys you mentioned, though. Not sure there's anybody I want in the draft more than Mays, if it is somebody else it's close.

Quarterback I get what you're saying though I'm not incredibly familiar with how Troy Smith has done at this level.

Wideouts I do get what you're saying as far as the cold weather. I just think we have absolutely nobody who can stretch the field, which allows defenses to play up on us moreso and makes it harder to run the ball and complete the ball short. Heyward-Bey I like because he's got great hands and is successful but was just incredibly underutilized. He's not just an athlete. Maclin I'm not sure would hold up but injuries haven't been a concern at the college level and he's a nice fit and a fantastic, versatile athlete that runs good routes and does great things with the ball in his hands. If a guy like Marvin Harrison can hold up for an extended number of years I'm sure Maclin can, and he'd be a nice value at 17. Britt I can see where you're coming from but if he checks out in interviews he's another deep threat and adds size which we don't have. As far as the WR I'd love to see size, bulk, and YAC but speed is something we need to add with our wideouts unless Clowney steps up. We have nobody to stretch the field and no big-play threat besides Washington.

On a side note, from your post is it safe to assume you want Ryan or would you prefer someone else?

Last edited by derza222 : 01-12-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Yeah. Definitely. I think I said that earlier. I've loved Ryan basically since he's become their DC.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would anyone really be upset if the Jets draft Sanchez? He seems to feed off the crowd, and IMO has the NYC attitude via Joe Namath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYtitan View Post
Would anyone really be upset if the Jets draft Sanchez? He seems to feed off the crowd, and IMO has the NYC attitude via Joe Namath
I don't think so, especially if he's on the board at #17. The experience factor is a bit of a concern but our QB situation is really, really shaky at the moment to say the least so to draft a potential QB of the future is hard to argue with. I do like his skill set as well. I'd be less happy with a trade up because I think we need the picks to put together a better team but I'd still get where the team was coming from and like the fact that they identified a guy they liked and went after him. Wouldn't be my favorite pick but to be honest I'd be a little surprised if we passed on him at #17.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I don't think so, especially if he's on the board at #17. The experience factor is a bit of a concern but our QB situation is really, really shaky at the moment to say the least so to draft a potential QB of the future is hard to argue with. I do like his skill set as well. I'd be less happy with a trade up because I think we need the picks to put together a better team but I'd still get where the team was coming from and like the fact that they identified a guy they liked and went after him. Wouldn't be my favorite pick but to be honest I'd be a little surprised if we passed on him at #17.
yeah i want him as my top choice as of now, but dk if i wanna trade up for him depends how much we give up...i think theres a 0% chance we would pass on him at 17 with what we know about him as of now
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be cool with a safety, de, cb, or lb

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote