Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cowboys LB Ware first NFL player to win Butkus award

Cowboys LB Ware first NFL player to win Butkus award

DALLAS (TICKER) —Dallas Cowboys All-Pro linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who led the NFL with 20 sacks, became the first professional player to win the Butkus Award.

The Dallas Morning News reported on Saturday that Ware will be presented with the award at a banquet next week.

The award, which is named after Hall of Fame Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkus, is annually given to the best collegiate linebacker. This is the first year that there is a high school and professional winner.

Wake Forest’s Aaron Curry and Manti Te’o, of Punahou High School in Honolulu were the other recipients.

It is a small consolation for Ware, who finished second to Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison in the Defensive Player of the Year voting.

“It’s a great thing to be the first of anything, especially to be nominated for something like the Butkus Award,” Ware told the Morning News.

The award recognizes the “complete and best linebacker” in the game.

“To be known as the most well-rounded linebacker, you have to able to drop into coverage, rush the passer but also to be able to stop the run when it comes at you,” Ware said.

“The criteria is a three-down player who’s not taken out and not a specialty player, like a lot of them are,” Butkus told the newspaper. “I’m very happy with the choice. He’s an impact player. He goes after it. That’s what I like.”
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well deserved
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he deserves to be DPOTY more than "the most complete linebacker"

Harrison is a much more complete linebacker, while I still say Ware had the better season.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really understand. How does an NFL player not win it every year?
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a collegiate award, Oz. This is the first year that a high school and pro LB are given an award for their respective level of play. So at first, it was one award for the best collegiate LB. Now, it's three awards for the best high school LB, collegiate LB, and pro LB.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was just a collage award, but now I guess they expanded it to highshool and pro aswell.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post

Harrison is a much more complete linebacker, while I still say Ware had the better season.
Seriously? I would say there about equal when it comes to pass rushing and against the run, but I would give the edge to Ware when it comes to dropping back into coverage.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Seriously? I would say there about equal when it comes to pass rushing and against the run, but I would give the edge to Ware when it comes to dropping back into coverage.
Not to mention Harrison has alot more talent around him and the most blitz happy scheme in the league.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Ware should have won DPOY, but this is still good to hear. I had heard they were going to do this... very interesting.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder why Harrison didn't get it? Is this not political like all other NFL awards, where your team has to make the playoffs in order to get recognition?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I wonder why Harrison didn't get it? Is this not political like all other NFL awards, where your team has to make the playoffs in order to get recognition?
DPOY has gone to non-playoff players before. It's probably a tiebreaker though, which might have happened this year. Seems fair enough if that's the case.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
It's a collegiate award, Oz. This is the first year that a high school and pro LB are given an award for their respective level of play. So at first, it was one award for the best collegiate LB. Now, it's three awards for the best high school LB, collegiate LB, and pro LB.
That makes sense, was wondering why I never heard of this.

So are we going to start having individual awards for the best DB and D-line pretty soon like College also? Gotta believe the rest will also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That makes sense, was wondering why I never heard of this.

So are we going to start having individual awards for the best DB and D-line pretty soon like College also? Gotta believe the rest will also.
The next step after that is, everybody gets a trophy! Yay!
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

i disagree with the bolded, but your opinion is what it is.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Harrison is much bettervon covereage than most give him credit for. He's not a one trick pony by any means.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
The next step after that is, everybody gets a trophy! Yay!
Matt Millen gets the "Rick Venturi Award" for hanging onto a job much longer than he should have!

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Harrison is much bettervon covereage than most give him credit for. He's not a one trick pony by any means.
But Ware is great in coverage, just like Ware is exceptional at stuffing the run but Harrison was just even more dominant at it this year.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Not to mention Harrison has alot more talent around him and the most blitz happy scheme in the league.
It's comments like these that scream "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

We haven't had the need to blitz this season very often. We've been getting pressure rushing 4 guys.

For proof. Troy is lighting the NFL up in the secondary... Why? Because with Harrison and Woodley on the edges we can afford to keep him deep and not have to use him, and everyone else on the field to get any semblence of pressure.

Thats not to say we don't blitz. But I'd doubt we're the most "Blitz happy scheme" in the NFL. Obviously you've never seen the Eagles/Giants.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
DPOY has gone to non-playoff players before. It's probably a tiebreaker though, which might have happened this year. Seems fair enough if that's the case.
Could it be that the writiers and voters just thought he had a superior season (Not to say that he's the "Superior Player". Ware is lightyears more athletic. I'd say Harrison has more pure strength).

Harrison had votes for MVP. Ware didn't. I don't see why people were so shocked.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ware is the best overall linebacker, but Harrison had a better year. He did more for his team than ware, and he did more for his team than any other defensive player, it's that simple.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

More sacks, solo tackles, stops for a loss, and 1 less FF would make it seem like Ware did more for his team. In fact, I can't imagine what the Dallas defense would be without him.

Remove Harrison from the Steelers and they are what?? Probably still a top 5 unit? If not, top 10 for sure.

Take Ware off of the Cowboys and uhhhhh... Well I don't even want to think about it.

Not to mention Ware was just about the only player in the Dallas front 7 that you have to give help to. Teams didn't have to worry about Woodley, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, or Farrior when protecting against Ware.

Just one homers thoughts....

Last edited by Burns336 : 01-11-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote