Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Lions to take at #1?
Matthew Stafford 39 57.35%
Not Matthew Stafford 29 42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Stafford or Not Stafford: The #1 Pick Debate

It's simple:

Are you a supporter of the Lions taking Matthew Stafford at #1 or are you not a supporter?

Debate, discuss and deliberate here . . .
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Stafford does something to indicate he's not among the 2-3 players worthy of the #1 pick (with no obvious choice this year), he's the guy I am endorsing.

I do not like Andre Smith. I have multiple concerns with him. And if OT is really the way we wanna go, I prefer Jason Smith, among others, as a solution.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

This is pretty much a no brainer for me. You look at the 4 playoff teams and their QBs. Besides having a great defenses, they all have great quarterbacks. There is a reason why the worst teams in the NFL have bad quarterbacks:

Dan Orlovsky: career QB rating 71.3
Tyler Thigpen: career QB rating 74.7
Derek Anderson: career QB rating 75.1, 66 this season
Ryan Fitzpatrick: career QB rating 66.9
JeMarcus Russell: career QB rating 73.9

Many of these teams have good left tackles but no QB. So the quarterback is of equal value than a great defense and offensive line.

I notices a lot of fans and even the morning guys on 97.1 want to draft all defense like Taylor Mays, Brandon Spikes, and Rey Maualuga in one draft. The problem is the top 2 college players on the board are Stafford and a left tackle. No choice for defense. I don't see anyone drafting a safety or linebacker with the first pick.

Stafford.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
I notices a lot of fans and even the morning guys on 97.1 want to draft all defense like Taylor Mays, Brandon Spikes, and Rey Maualuga in one draft. The problem is the top 2 college players on the board are Stafford and a left tackle. No choice for defense. I don't see anyone drafting a safety or linebacker with the first pick.
Those people are idiots. They have no idea what they're talking about, they think they know more about the draft than they actually do. They just hear names and positions and start spouting off like they're experts. There is no defensive player worth #1, period.

Last edited by WMD : 01-12-2009 at 12:09 PM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

defensive impact players can be had at the next couple of picks. stafford is the guy.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it is anyone but Stafford I will be upset...

We need a quarterback. I'm all for taking a QB with every first round pick we have from here on out until we finally draft the guy...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Lions are not that bad of a situation for a young QB to walk into, despite popular opinion. They have the most talented WR in the league, a solid looking young RB, and there is some talent on the O-line. With free agency and the draft, the Lions should be able to draft Stafford, bring in a couple of O-lineman and quite a few defensive players. No matter what anyone says, fortunes can change for a franchise. Ask the Cardinals. What the Lions did this past season doesn't make them such a bad situation to bring a young QB into for the future.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love Stafford as a prospect, but i'm not sold that we should be taking him.

A QB isn't going to push this team over the edge next year, a great OLine could. That's why i'm in favor of Andre Smith and maybe even Michael Oher going #1. Either you way we get a very solid LT pushing Backus either to guard (a better position for him IMO) or to the curb (either would be great) and if we add a nice guard thru the draft or more likely Free Agency we have a Smith-Oher/Backus/Raiola/New Guard/Cherilus OLine and thats at least tolerable for now.

If we draft stafford and put him behind our current OLine we are ruining another very promising career IMO.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post

A QB isn't going to push this team over the edge next year, a great OLine could. That's why i'm in favor of Andre Smith and maybe even Michael Oher going #1. Either you way we get a very solid LT pushing Backus either to guard (a better position for him IMO) or to the curb (either would be great) and if we add a nice guard thru the draft or more likely Free Agency we have a Smith-Oher/Backus/Raiola/New Guard/Cherilus OLine and thats at least tolerable for now.

If we draft stafford and put him behind our current OLine we are ruining another very promising career IMO.
I don't think any player would push this team over the edge. Even if we fix the Oline, we still are mediocre at best, maybe less than average at QB assuming Orlovsky is resigned and still decent with limiting his turnovers and gets a 2nd WR option other than Calvin and we still won't be able to stop anyone on D. So therefore, would have to put up Drew Brees type efforts on O. No matter how you slice it a quick turnaround isn't in the cards for us.

And as for Backus playing guard, I don't see it. He's not a mauler, he's not a great run blocker(like most LTs that move to guard and have success are) and I just see the Williams Wall, Tommie Harris etc having a field day on him.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=Xiomera;1425313]Unless Stafford does something to indicate he's not among the 2-3 players worthy of the #1 pick (with no obvious choice this year), he's the guy I am endorsing.

QUOTE]

This is the most sensible answer. while I love Stafford, I still want the scouts to confirm he is among the top 3 candidates before I give him a ringing endorsement. I want a QB at #1 overall badly but he must have a top ranking or close to it to warrent the pick.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=Iamcanadian;1425772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Unless Stafford does something to indicate he's not among the 2-3 players worthy of the #1 pick (with no obvious choice this year), he's the guy I am endorsing.

QUOTE]

This is the most sensible answer. while I love Stafford, I still want the scouts to confirm he is among the top 3 candidates before I give him a ringing endorsement. I want a QB at #1 overall badly but he must have a top ranking or close to it to warrent the pick.

Agreed on that.

Anyone else find it weird both QB prospects both end in Ford

Matt Stafford
Sam Bradford
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that scares me

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how new Stafford threads come up all the time. Works for me.

Thing with Stafford proving he is a player with a top grade, as opposed to a true need pick, is he will absolutely blow people away in workouts. When you see this guy throwing the ball down the field without defenders at his knees it's going to make scouts drool, literally.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

A good QB makes an O-line better. The Atlanta Falcons 10 year starting center said that about Matt Ryan. A good QB makes good decisions, gets rid of the ball quickly, knows how to move around in the pocket and helps prevent defenses from stacking the box by completing deep passes. The LIons already have 3 first round OT's on their roster. Without a starting quality QB the Lions could have 10 first round O-lineman and still wouldn't be able to move the ball.

And every QB coming out of college is 'just a prospect'. Even QB's who look like safe picks have about a 50-50 shot at being quality starters. The Lions can either take another shot at finding a franchise QB now or later, because they don't have one on thier roster. The longer they wait, the longer the offense will be highly limited.

Last edited by Halsey : 01-12-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

We aren't close to being 'over the edge', we're a few years away from being competitors. We draft Stafford, have him sit for a year, or as long as possible, and then he jumps in. Draft the OL after we get the QB.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post

Agreed on that.

Anyone else find it weird both QB prospects both end in Ford

Matt Stafford
Sam Bradford
Combine that with the fact that Bobby Layne and Stafford attended the same high school . . . Stafford has Lions destiny written all over him, haha.

And as one guy said, it is scary.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

in order for stafford or whoever the lions will need to address the people that block for the passer...DUH
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
in order for stafford or whoever the lions will need to address the people that block for the passer...DUH
How silly of us to forget . . .
Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
We draft Stafford, have him sit for a year, or as long as possible, and then he jumps in.
I can't think of a scenario where sitting him can be justified.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I can't think of a scenario where sitting him can be justified.
Why? None of us want the Lions goal to be to make the playoffs in 2009 anyways . . . it's totally unrealistic and it would mean abandoning our longterm plans and sacrificing for the now.

I'd sit him for the first 6 weeks or so, then slowly work him into some of the games where we're down by three scores in the second half.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Yeah, there's no point in rushing him. We aren't going to be winning anything anytime soon.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if you can establish a running game and get some blocking up front Stafford can be starting by mid-season. He's used to playing in a pro style offense and used to facing fast defenses. If someone else gives you a better chance to win so be it but i doubt that will be the case.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just wanted to post this.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually fine with Stafford. But I do really like Bradford.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got mad Stafford love, the kid is a stud, he makes all the throws and he does so without having any real top notch WR's...

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote