Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Lions to take at #1?
Matthew Stafford 39 57.35%
Not Matthew Stafford 29 42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
Minnesota, Chicago, the Jets and Carolina are all way too far down to trade up to number one overall, or to be worth us trading that far down. Even the 49ers moving up 8 spots would be pretty tough to get enough value in return. Seattle might be the only one out of that group with a realistic chance to give us enough to move up to one.
I'd only want to trade down with Seattle out of that group. We could get #4 overall, a 2nd and something else. We could still get a QB we want [or Curry or Smith] at #4.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
Minnesota, Chicagom the Jets and Carolina are all way to far down to trade up to number one overall, or to be worth us trading that far down. Even the 49ers moving up 8 spots would be pretty tough to get enough value in return. Seattle might be the only one out of that group with a realistic chance to give us enough to move up to one.
I agree but swapping 1s and getting next year 1 plus some second and third. I could do that with the Jets or Carolina and feel we got value.

You will never get the "draft value chart" type swap with the top pick. You need to settle for something different and we need players.

Also, note, next years draft maybe the best ever b/c with a possible rookie salary cap in 2011 ---- lots of underclassmen next year. Sooooo picks in next year's draft is not so bad if you project red-shirt sophmores and juniors. A third orunder next year might be as good a late first this year.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noromasionadom View Post
Curry is an ILB IMHO. Wouldn't go that high for ILB. Prefer to take Maybin from Penn St with a high ceiling at OLB or DE in the second
Maybin is a likely top 15 pick according to the experts.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree but swapping 1s and getting next year 1 plus some second and third. I could do that with the Jets or Carolina and feel we got value.

You will never get the "draft value chart" type swap with the top pick. You need to settle for something different and we need players.

Also, note, next years draft maybe the best ever b/c with a possible rookie salary cap in 2011 ---- lots of underclassmen next year. SO picks in next year's draft is not so bad if you project.
Philly owns Carolina's 1st round pick this year.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I'd only want to trade down with Seattle out of that group. We could get #4 overall, a 2nd and something else. We could still get a QB we want [or Curry or Smith] at #4.
Honestly, with the money teams have to spend on the #1 pick now, I think it's a moot point because the chances of someone trading up even three or four spots when they should be able to get one of Stafford or Sanchez at their own spot is about nil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, with the money teams have to spend on the #1 pick now, I think it's a moot point because the chances of someone trading up even three or four spots when they should be able to get one of Stafford or Sanchez at their own spot is about nil.
Yeah.... this sucks. Trust me, I realized that already, haha.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Maybin is a likely top 15 pick according to the experts.
I am no draft expert so I take your word for it.

My point is there will be first round value in the early second and having two picks there plus two first is like getting 4 ONEs IMHO.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Lions should just ignore the fact that our pick happens to be the 1st overall. Just take the guy you like the best and dont' worry about the rest.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
One of the two is going to impress and look great in work-outs or the combine.

Never underestimate "QB Lust" in a draft and what teams are willing to do for that pick.

Flacco and Ryan this year have really helped us in terms of value in that first pick.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Yeah.... this sucks. Trust me, I realized that already, haha.
Basically, having the #1 at this point in football history is a curse rather than a blessing IMO. It's almost impossible to trade out of, and the money you have to put out is ridiculous.

Quote:

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
One of the two is going to impress and look great in work-outs or the combine.

Never underestimate "QB Lust" in a draft and what teams are willing to do for that pick.

Flacco and Ryan this year have really helped us in terms of value in that first pick.
I'm sorry, but it's extremely unrealistic to think a trade down from the first spot is going to occur. Even trading back to #5 is a huge longshot.

Quote:

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
I'm sorry, but it's extremely unrealistic to think a trade down from the first spot is going to occur. Even trading back to #5 is a huge longshot.
I don't disagree. I am talking about what I want to do, not what we will do.

Let us see however. I think QB is the one spot where you are most likely see crazy things -- maybe only 10% but it beats 1%.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I'm just praying that Stafford has a hell of a Pro Day workout. I also am hoping he somehow manages to measure about an inch taller than expected and shave a couple tenths off his 40 time just for the hell of it, haha.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
I'm just praying that Stafford has a hell of a Pro Day workout. I also am hoping he somehow manages to measure about an inch taller than expected and shave a couple tenths off his 40 time just for the hell of it, haha.
I would cream Stafford and BJ Raji/Cameron Maybin in the first.

Give me Duke Robinson and Luig in the second or better yet Moore (S).
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I would cream Stafford and BJ Raji/Cameron Maybin in the first.

Give me Duke Robinson and Luig in the second or better yet Moore (S).
I don't think Cameron Maybin would be a good pick. He seems committed to baseball.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
I don't think Cameron Maybin would be a good pick. He seems committed to baseball.
Ouch, my bad. Are they related?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Ouch, my bad. Are they related?
No idea . . . I'm waiting on Scott's scouting report for Aaron Maybin. He always lists notable familial athletes.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
No idea . . . I'm waiting on Scott's scouting report for Aaron Maybin. He always lists notable familial athletes.
I guess we should avoid all "M" surnames in the draft.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I guess we should avoid all "M" surnames in the draft.
Hey, I'm just happy we didn't hire Mike Mularkey.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could always pull a Vikings and let the clock run for a few picks before we grab our guy. It'd save money but be ******* crazy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I hate when people that don't know about the draft try to talk about the draft.
My feelings exactly. I expected the Lions getting the #1 pick to be a draftniks dream, but its only brought me frustration as i listen to people blab on and on about trading down like its easy as pie or taking Taylor Mays #1.

In regards to Stafford, I love his potential, but do we honestly trust the Lions to develop a QB like him. If we take him he is a guaranteed bust.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
In regards to Stafford, I love his potential, but do we honestly trust the Lions to develop a QB like him. If we take him he is a guaranteed bust.
I don't think so.. It's not up to our staff to develop him. Either he has it or he doesn't. We CAN ruin him, though, by playing him too early and giving him bad tendencies..
Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
We CAN ruin him, though, by playing him too early and giving him bad tendencies..
But would you expect the Lions to do anything different? If we take him #1 overall we almost have to play him right away. I dont think we could afford to sit him, especially when you look at the Lions' ticket sales. If we take him he is going to play early, he is going to have to deal with tons of pressure in the pocket, and is going to have to force throws. I think eventually he'd just realize that he has to throw to Calvin and then that will become all he can do.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
But would you expect the Lions to do anything different? If we take him #1 overall we almost have to play him right away. I dont think we could afford to sit him, especially when you look at the Lions' ticket sales. If we take him he is going to play early, he is going to have to deal with tons of pressure in the pocket, and is going to have to force throws. I think eventually he'd just realize that he has to throw to Calvin and then that will become all he can do.
I'm not sure about worrying about ticket sales.. I mean, we always have trouble selling tickets, but yet they traded Roy Williams in the middle of the year. They might have come to the conclusion that it might be best to take one step backwards next year to be able to take bigger steps in the seasons after that.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
I'm not sure about worrying about ticket sales
Really? I dont know, I think when the Lions' brass is looking at the drastic decrease in season ticket sales over the past two years they would consider starting a guy who will at least bring some people out to Ford Field. Its a business after all, unfortunately.