Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.
Default Schwartz speaks: "It's probably time to find a replacement for Bobby Layne"

This is from an interview Dave Birkett had with Jim Schwartz in the Oakland Press:

http://davebirkett.blogspot.com/

Quote:
On what his preference would be with the No. 1 pick: I think the important thing is finding the right person. I don't think you tie yourself into positions. Obviously there's a lot of needs. I think obviously the most important position on the team is quarterback. It's probably time to find a replacement for Bobby Layne.
Pretty bold statement for a guy who not even the head coach. He is a leading candidate after being asked to come for an second interview with William Clay Ford.

I love it though. Agree 100%. I don't think he's talking about Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, or Brian Hoyer.

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 01-12-2009 at 06:01 PM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, it's ridiculous they brought him out to the media already.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just gonna post this.

I like everything he said.

This whole scene makes little sense, however, if he isn't hired.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want sch'wartz.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Triumphdog
Rookie

Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like him. Hire him NOW!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Yeah, we need to stop messing around and just hire the dude.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Call me a pessimist if you want, but I have this feeling that everybody will want schwartz and it'll look like we're about to sign him...but then we get ron rivera instead... :(
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's hire Rivera, Schwartz, and Spagnuolo and put them in a cage and let them fight out which of them gets to be HC, DC, and Waterboy.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Let's hire Rivera, Schwartz, and Spagnuolo and put them in a cage and let them fight out which of them gets to be HC, DC, and Waterboy.
that would'nt be fair, you know Schwartzy is a nerd. How about a game of chess?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
that would'nt be fair, you know Schwartzy is a nerd. How about a game of chess?
Good call. Settle it with a Centathlon!

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1731276803
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we hire our coach tomorrow. I think we're interviewing Ron Rivera and Spagnuolo tomorrow, right? Hopefully after those are through, we can make our decision.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I hope we hire our coach tomorrow. I think we're interviewing Ron Rivera and Spagnuolo tomorrow, right? Hopefully after those are through, we can make our decision.
I hope we can hire a good OC or DC too.

I wonder if Schwartz has an offensive guy in mind for his staff?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Do we even bother thinking about OC/DC yet?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if Schwartz would try to bring in Jerry Gray for the DC spot. They both worked together in Tennessee for a little bit.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:07 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

sounds like a good hire if they make it I like anyone who comes from a smash mouth style like he had in Tennessee.

But going back to the first post, i swear to god if we even let Hoyer get on the practice squad I will probably have a brain hemmorage.

On that same note the Brian Hoyer to Reggie Ball combination on the Lions practice squad would be awesome

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 AM    (permalink
BcLion
Rookie

BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.BcLion could make a wolverine purr.
Talking

I think part of his interview process with the lions was to take a couple questions from the media. Last thing we need is anouther head coach spouting off about the invisable and picking his axe or whatever...
BcLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really do want this guy now.

For a while I wanted a proven head coach, but I will be happy with this guy too.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

Everybody wants a proven coach. I know experience is not all it's made up to be. Personal experience. I work with a group of medical providers. The youngest ones are usually the hardest working and work the full week worth seeing 19+ patients a day. The older ways are coasting, working part-time, not updating their skills, being constantly late seeing their patients, and just not as good of doctors as the new hires. This is not saying all veteran coaches are bad but look at the playoff coaches.

Atlanta: Mike Smith NFL coach of the year - def coordinator
Baltimore: John Harbaugh secondary coach
Pittsburgh: Mike Tomlin - def coordinator
Arizona: Ken Whisenhunt - off coordinator

I don't know Jim Schwartz, but i like what he says. He does not put his foot in his mouth. He says we need to find a replacement for Bobby Layne. I think 100% of all Detroit Lions football fan agree. He also says we need to right the right person. He seems to cover all his bases.

I think the Lions have to interview all the candidates. Hopefully, they make the right decisions.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I want Schwartz, I'm glad the Lions are not rushing anything and still interviewing people.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
As much as I want Schwartz, I'm glad the Lions are not rushing anything and still interviewing people.
I agree this is like the Anti-Millen. Taking your time, actually thinking about what you want to do, going to watch draft prospects and then making a decision.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
I agree this is like the Anti-Millen. Taking your time, actually thinking about what you want to do, going to watch draft prospects and then making a decision.
Or you simply haven't enough experience to quickly pick a HC and are taking your time because you are learning on the go and praying your inexperience doesn't cause you to make a bad decision. Hence a long process so maybe you can see something tangible to base your decision on since your not sure what you are looking for.
Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Or you simply haven't enough experience to quickly pick a HC and are taking your time because you are learning on the go and praying your inexperience doesn't cause you to make a bad decision. Hence a long process so maybe you can see something tangible to base your decision on since your not sure what you are looking for.
Just a thought.
Probably a litte of my idea and a little of yours. Its good that he's making sure and exploring every single option. And also making sure of what exactly he wants/needs. Millen did not do this, he wanted Mooch forever and basically Marinellis first year force fed Martz/Henderson right away too. Unfortunately once Marinelli got to pick his pwm coaching staff it was way worse than Millens ideas. If he hired a coach right away, especially a position coach, I'd bash Mayhew more than ever.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I'm just hoping that Schwartz didn't fail the Press Conference portion of the interview. With Mayhew and Lewand wanting to keep things as secret as possible, I wonder if Schwartz made a mistake by basically saying he wants Stafford. Maybe they like the generic answers of Bowles.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll make just a point of interest. Parcells seems to know what he is doing and has a track record for hiring solid future HCing candidates. He hired Bowles while in Dallas and chose to bring Bowles along with him to Miami. That is a pretty high recomendation for me, although I like Schwartz a lot too. Mind you Schwartz is getting a lot of credit for this past season but you have to remember that Tennessee drew one of the easiest schedules in the whole NFL and didn't do as well once it had to play the tougher teams on its schedule.
What I still want to see is some success before I label a hire as great. Whether it be Mayhew or the HC he hires.
I also thought that perhaps Mayhew is making these guys go in front of the press to build up the suspense which could stimulate ticket sales. The longer he carries out the process the more newspaper/radio/TV attention the Lions get and publicity sells tickets whether it is good or not. I wouldn't put it past Mayhew who might have known long ago who he wanted as his HC.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 01-14-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote