Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
I hope to God he doesn't see the field next year.
i think Christian Scott is going to see a lot more time next year
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What are our Running Backs going to look like, who steps up anyone? I don't really want to see a committee again.

Antwaan Cobb
Tre Newton
Fozzz Whitaker
Vondrell McGee
Chris Whaley
Jeremy Hills
Cody Johnson

If I had to pick I think Fozzy will be the main guy but who knows whats going to happen this summer. Christian Scott >>> gideon.

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys View Post
What are our Running Backs going to look like, who steps up anyone? I don't really want to see a committee again.

Antwaan Cobb
Tre Newton
Fozzz Whitaker
Vondrell McGee
Chris Whaley
Jeremy Hills
Cody Johnson

If I had to pick I think Fozzy will be the main guy but who knows whats going to happen this summer. Christian Scott >>> gideon.
Fozzy should get most of the carries. Cody Johnson will get the short yardage and goal line touches. I expect Jeremy Hills to step up next year and the coaches are really high on Whaley so Im sure he will get some touches as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was extremely disappointed this year with Vondrell McGee, to say the least. I expected him to take the bulk of the carries, but the coaching staff just didn't seem to trust him enough to do so. Ogbannaya did a good job when it was asked of him, but honestly, i don't see the running back position changing much this next year. Obviously the offense is still gonna rely 99% on Colt McCoy. The passing game is too efficient to make it a secondary option. I think it'll be pass pass pass, with a run sprinkled in once in a while. Darrell Scott could have changed all of that, but he wanted to be a Buff instead. :(
Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I was extremely disappointed this year with Vondrell McGee, to say the least. I expected him to take the bulk of the carries, but the coaching staff just didn't seem to trust him enough to do so. Ogbannaya did a good job when it was asked of him, but honestly, i don't see the running back position changing much this next year. Obviously the offense is still gonna rely 99% on Colt McCoy. The passing game is too efficient to make it a secondary option. I think it'll be pass pass pass, with a run sprinkled in once in a while. Darrell Scott could have changed all of that, but he wanted to be a Buff instead. :(
i agree, i had high hopes for McGee, he did not seem nearly as explosive as he did the year before... passing will definately be the first option, if Fozzy is healthy all year that could balance run and pass more
Old 01-22-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't even get me started on Vondrell, he really did not improve much to me, he was just an average back and our lack of a true running back or a home-run threat hurt our offense.

I believe Fozzy and Whaley will man the load and share the rock quite a bit, and Cody will still get short yardage because he's automatic...Either way we need to get committed to the run alot more next season, and maybe we can actually have a TE to throw to this time around.

And I hate to be so critical of a freshman after showing some bright spots but good Lord Blake Gideon needs to get his ass close to the bench and get used to it for awhile...Earl Thomas got better all year and by years end he was looking like Michael Griffin, Gideon started the year a force and a strong hitter then by years end he looked scared and confused...Maybe he lost his confidence at Tech but I'm pretty sure he lost his job.

Our secondary will be a team strength for the next two years, especially with Aaron Williams expected to see an expanded role and the speedster DJ Monroe...I'm watching out for Chykie Brown though, he's ready to turn into a lock down corner and I think he's ready to take the next step into one of the great UT corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Don't even get me started on Vondrell, he really did not improve much to me, he was just an average back and our lack of a true running back or a home-run threat hurt our offense.

I believe Fozzy and Whaley will man the load and share the rock quite a bit, and Cody will still get short yardage because he's automatic...Either way we need to get committed to the run alot more next season, and maybe we can actually have a TE to throw to this time around.

And I hate to be so critical of a freshman after showing some bright spots but good Lord Blake Gideon needs to get his ass close to the bench and get used to it for awhile...Earl Thomas got better all year and by years end he was looking like Michael Griffin, Gideon started the year a force and a strong hitter then by years end he looked scared and confused...Maybe he lost his confidence at Tech but I'm pretty sure he lost his job.

Our secondary will be a team strength for the next two years, especially with Aaron Williams expected to see an expanded role and the speedster DJ Monroe...I'm watching out for Chykie Brown though, he's ready to turn into a lock down corner and I think he's ready to take the next step into one of the great UT corners.

TE should be much better next year, Irby will be back from injury and they are moving DJ Grant to TE

I would love to see Chykie and Aaron Williams starting at corner, Monroe might be moving to WR
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Chykie was beasting it when he was healthy. As soon as he went down, it seems like all the Texas secondary started falling apart.

I disagree with you on the running game though. I don't think it's as important a piece as you're making it out to be. Sure, it would be nice to have, but i don't think it's necessary. If it were Vince Young back there, we'd be screwed without a running back, but Colt can actually pass the ball. I think the delayed handoffs, the quarterback draws, and such, keep the defense loose enough on the pass that you still have to somewhat respect the run. I don't think you need Cedric Benson back there. We have enough talent at the WR position to make up for the lack of true running game.

I've already shared my opinions on Gideon.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I doubt it, he didn't even start for the buffs.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
I doubt it, he didn't even start for the buffs.
He got one less carry than Vondrell McGee did, who was supposed to be our horse this year.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It sure would be nice to have a definitive #1 RB. I don't care who it is they just need to rise above the others and give Mack a reason to pound it down a defenses throat.

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas doesn't really need a run game in the Big 12. Just McCoy.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
Texas doesn't really need a run game in the Big 12. Just McCoy.
Right now we have the luxury of saying that. After this coming year, we damn better find a running back, or else we're gonna have some problems.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I disagree with you on the running game though. I don't think it's as important a piece as you're making it out to be. Sure, it would be nice to have, but i don't think it's necessary. If it were Vince Young back there, we'd be screwed without a running back, but Colt can actually pass the ball. I think the delayed handoffs, the quarterback draws, and such, keep the defense loose enough on the pass that you still have to somewhat respect the run. I don't think you need Cedric Benson back there. We have enough talent at the WR position to make up for the lack of true running game.

We can beat most Big 12 teams without a solid running game, but if your in the hunt for a NC and you may face a defense like Florida you need some type of running game...Not that it's vital, but when we had that home-run threat like Jamaal Charles or Ramonce Taylor the offense is always alot more explosive and hard to stop.

It seemed like not running the ball enough against tOSU almost cost us...But Whaley looks like Chris Wells 2.0 to me so we'll see, I think he will contribute and give us another dimension.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right now we have the luxury of saying that. After this coming year, we damn better find a running back, or else we're gonna have some problems.
Yeah but it's not like Texas doesn't have enough talent to support Texas and Oklahoma. ^_^

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Chris Whaley probably be the real deal, but I don't see us using him much until hes a sophomore.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
We can beat most Big 12 teams without a solid running game, but if your in the hunt for a NC and you may face a defense like Florida you need some type of running game...Not that it's vital, but when we had that home-run threat like Jamaal Charles or Ramonce Taylor the offense is always alot more explosive and hard to stop.

It seemed like not running the ball enough against tOSU almost cost us...But Whaley looks like Chris Wells 2.0 to me so we'll see, I think he will contribute and give us another dimension.
Oh i agree, just imagine the possibilities had Jamaal Football stayed for his senior year, like most normal Texas players do :(

And i'm not overly impressed with Chris Whaley. He looks like Vondrell McGee to me. Not very fast, not very agile, runs upright. I'm hoping Whitaker gets more touches, and sprinkle in a little Cody Johnson and Whaley, but i don't think we should expect too much from Whaley any time soon.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh i agree, just imagine the possibilities had Jamaal Football stayed for his senior year, like most normal Texas players do :(

And i'm not overly impressed with Chris Whaley. He looks like Vondrell McGee to me. Not very fast, not very agile, runs upright. I'm hoping Whitaker gets more touches, and sprinkle in a little Cody Johnson and Whaley, but i don't think we should expect too much from Whaley any time soon.
That's what i was thinking.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

You guys realize Whaley is 4-5 inches taller than him and his strides are much longer. Runs with more power and sheds tackles with ease. It's not going to be much different for him at the College level once he gets a full head of steam hes very tough to bring down. I really don't see the comparison at all. McGee has quicker feet and makes alot of moves, as opposed to Whaley who is a north south runner and is the definition of Power Back.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys View Post
You guys realize Whaley is 4-5 inches taller than him and his strides are much longer. Runs with more power and sheds tackles with ease. It's not going to be much different for him at the College level once he gets a full head of steam hes very tough to bring down. I really don't see the comparison at all. McGee has quicker feet and makes alot of moves, as opposed to Whaley who is a north south runner and is the definition of Power Back.
I don't disagree that he can shed tackles, but there's no way he's gonna be running through the holes he had in High School. He needs a good 5-7 yards to get some good speed going, and he's hardly gonna get that in college. Seriously, he looks like you can just clothesline him and he'll fall down, how high he runs.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

Quote:
I don't disagree that he can shed tackles, but there's no way he's gonna be running through the holes he had in High School. He needs a good 5-7 yards to get some good speed going, and he's hardly gonna get that in college. Seriously, he looks like you can just clothesline him and he'll fall down, how high he runs.
people also said adrian peterson ran to high, i think whaley will be good and for a big guy (6'3 230) he moves pretty well
Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub11 View Post
people also said adrian peterson ran to high, i think whaley will be good and for a big guy (6'3 230) he moves pretty well
Yeah, but Adrian Peterson had the speed, the moves, the agility.. everything. This guy runs too high and is just big and strong. That's it.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, but Adrian Peterson had the speed, the moves, the agility.. everything. This guy runs too high and is just big and strong. That's it.
I think you are underestimating his agility and speed, obviously the guy isnt a track star but he has adequate speed for his size, watch his videos he is constantly getting separation from defenders in the open field, I know it wont be that way in college but to say the guy is just big and strong and thats it is not accurate imo, I have read on orangebloods that the texas coaching staff feels like he is the #1 player in the state this year
Old 01-23-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Did you see him in the All-American game?

Your underrating him alot, he's a big and powerful runner with breakaway speed, of course he won't be looking like he did in HS but he's going to be big enough as a freshman to run through defenders.

Listening to your scouting report of the guy you'd like to think he'd be sitting the bench for 4 years lol, scouts are really in love with this guy I highly doubt anyone is going to have an easy time bringing him down, he's 233 out of HS, the guy is a tank.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Quote:
Did you see him in the All-American game?

Your underrating him alot, he's a big and powerful runner with breakaway speed, of course he won't be looking like he did in HS but he's going to be big enough as a freshman to run through defenders.

Listening to your scouting report of the guy you'd like to think he'd be sitting the bench for 4 years lol, scouts are really in love with this guy I highly doubt anyone is going to have an easy time bringing him down, he's 233 out of HS, the guy is a tank.
You are right... These guys are underestimating him. Whaley is going to destroy defenders at the college level. I understand that he played 3A ball but its not like players in college are textbook tacklers. Hes going to be nearly impossible to bring down once he's in full speed. Clothesline him and knock him down? lol players would just bounce off of him if they tried that. Clearly they didn't see the all-american game. I suggest watching it somehow.

Last edited by Pokeys : 01-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.