Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Starvsnr
Rookie

Starvsnr hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Jim Schwartz to coach the Lions

Its on ESPN News now, will put a link up asap.
Starvsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Schwartz is strong with this one.

Great hire by the Lions best choice of the lot.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Starvsnr
Rookie

Starvsnr hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911
Starvsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm alright with that. having an actual qualified defensive coordinator instead of just a positional coach is nice. i like his wikipedia too. "Schwartz's defenses have been notoriously successful on third down against the run. and Schwartz got his start in the NFL doing research for Bill Belichick on the Cleveland Browns staff in the mid-1990s."

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

Martin decision making is perfect so far:

Roy Williams trade A+
Culpepper signing A-
Jim Schwartz A

what next? i predict...

Stafford #1 A+!!!
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
Martin decision making is perfect so far:

Roy Williams trade A+
Culpepper signing A-
Jim Schwartz A

what next? i predict...

Stafford #1 A+!!!
I dont know how C-Pepp gets an A-, but I'll run with the other grades
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I like the veteran experience of Culpepper rubbing off with Stafford. I'm not a huge Culpepper fan but i feel most QBs like Stafford and Sanchez have the talent but need to learn how to play in the NFL. Culpepper would be a great teacher to a rookie QB. I feel we've reached a plateau in terms of talent with Dan O, but Culpepper would be a good stop gap while the rookie QB is learning.

In terms of Sanchez...if my daughter came home with a boyfriend who was arrested for sexual assault, cleared or not cleared, i would tell her she needs to get a new boyfriend.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great friggin hire by the Lions.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone break down Schwartz' defensive schemes for me - we know Tennessee was a 4-3 team, but beyond that I really don't know any details.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
Someone break down Schwartz' defensive schemes for me - we know Tennessee was a 4-3 team, but beyond that I really don't know any details.
See the ball get the ball.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wooooo!!!! We have found our savior. I couldn't be happier right now. As a Lions fan, this is the best thing to happen since Barry's 2000 yard season.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
they mixed in a 43 and cover 2. Kind of like Greg Williams defense.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On paper, I like the hire but I want to see results before I go ga ga. We still have to see if Mayhew can draft before any hire will do us much good.
If I can give this year's draft an A then we might have something.
Being a DC for a winning team is a very nice reference but it still doesn't make him a good HC. Many excellent coordinators have been hired in the past but later found wanting as HC's.
Nevertheless it appears to be a great hire now we have to see if he is a good HC.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Schwartz is the best of all the candidates. I'm glad we nabbed him before Pioli could get a hold of him
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So do we take Maualuga as the next Keith Bullock?
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He rarely ever blitzed with the Titans, and when he did it was usually with corners. It's pretty vanilla. Some zone mixed in with man-to-man, but he relies heavily on the front four to get pressure, so you can probably expect defensive lineman early and often to the Lions this off-season for his scheme to work well.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
I think Schwartz is the best of all the candidates. I'm glad we nabbed him before Pioli could get a hold of him
Apparently Pioli and Schwartz hate each other so that wasn't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
So do we take Maualuga as the next Keith Bullock?
Doubtful. He's a true MIKE, plus he's more likely to covet defensive lineman.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin
It's not flashy what-so-ever, and casual fans won't like it.

Schwartz rarely blitzes, especially with LB's. Titans DB's this past season has more sacks than the LB's. He especially likes to send safeties and nickelbacks on blitzes. The front four have to get pressure on their own, so the defense will not make strides until the appropriate personnel is assembled. I said a while ago that whichever teams chooses Schwartz and shows patience, then they won't be sorry. The guy is incredibly intellegent, and is a bit cocky too.

The base personnel is a 4-3, and the base defense is a Cover 2. He will adapt the scheme to support his players though. Cortland Finnegan and Nick Harper are amazing tacklers, so they played a lot of zone so they can help in run support (Though Finnegan is a great man corner). Michael Griffin is an excellent center fielder, and Chris Hope is like a 4th LB in the box, so some Cover 3 was also used against run-heavy teams, while some Man-Under was used against pass-heavy teams. The DL could generate pressure on its own, so LB's were primarily used in coverage. I expect him to adapt to the Lions players until he sets up the appropriate personnel.

I think this is a great hire for ya'll, and think Schwartz will be a better HC than DC. I'm certainly not looking forward to ya'll stealing some of the under-rated Titans players. :P If ya'll have any questions, I'll check back later to answer them for anyone.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
He rarely ever blitzed with the Titans, and when he did it was usually with corners. It's pretty vanilla. Some zone mixed in with man-to-man, but he relies heavily on the front four to get pressure, so you can probably expect defensive lineman early and often to the Lions this off-season for his scheme to work well.
For the corners, which do you lean towards more? Man to Man or Zone? I hope man to man so that we can keep Bodden and he can actually use his talent.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999
For the corners, which do you lean towards more? Man to Man or Zone? I hope man to man so that we can keep Bodden and he can actually use his talent.
We leaned more towards zone coverage. Priority #1 is to stop the run, and the corners need to be able to do that. Zone puts them in position to recognize the run quicker.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What a terrible hire!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Awesome hire, and now all we need is some personnel for him or we'll be playing him as the scape goat in 3 years while Mayhew gets his 5 year extension. Hopefully Schwartz has some say.

Good job so far Mayhew 2 for 2. Now lets get some Defensive players that will make Rodgers,Forte and Peterson pee their pants.

Reject Tennessee players? Perhaps

No more Buccarams. Time for Detroit to Remember the Titans(and how to play defense).
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM    (permalink
eeth
Rookie

eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eeth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

even if there is some zone it wont be as much as it was with strictly cover 2 (hopefully), im very happy about this hiring and i think, like others have said, that d-line will be a high priority
eeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
We leaned more towards zone coverage. Priority #1 is to stop the run, and the corners need to be able to do that. Zone puts them in position to recognize the run quicker.
I just hope we can somehow use Bodden.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2
Now lets get some Defensive players that will make Rodgers,Forte and Peterson pee their pants.
Against the Titans, Rodgers only completed 53.7% of his passes with a 76.7 QB rating, Forte had 72 yards and 3.6 YPC, and Peterson was held to 80 yards and 4.4 YPC. The three players combined for 4 total TD's and 3 turnovers.

Maybe not pee their pants, but there's nothing wrong with making 'em sweat! :)

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.